Episode Reviews (27)

Great

By arkanitoo, Jul 13, 2012

This is a great start to the S3 arc. Like the title says, the three new characters introduced in this episode are Faith, Scott Hope, and Mr. Trick. I like what all of these characters bring to the show and am happy with all three. I've got a couple really big complaints though. The first is how lame the vampire Kakistos is, and the second is the fact that Angel, somewhat randomly, returns from hell.

Early in the episode Buffy has a nightmare where Angel seems very angry with her for sending him to hell. This is very much in character for her and reminds me of the forgiveness problems she had in "I Only Have Eyes for You" (2x19). She's still having problems getting over what she did to Angel, and it shows. This is why Giles, in a very slick way, makes up the need for a binding spell in order to get more information out of Buffy on what happened that day, after Xander took him out of the mansion. Buffy skipped town for several months without telling anyone which pretty much clues in Giles to the fact that something much more traumatic than just "sending Angelus to hell" happened.

It's cute seeing Willow trying to help Buffy get back in date mode, but it just goes to show that she obviously doesn't have any idea what Buffy is feeling right now. This season, and beyond, the relationship between Buffy and Willow begins to change. They are not nearly as close this year as they were last year. While at the end of "Dead Man's Party" (3x02) it appears everything's back to normal, it turns out everything's far from normal in terms of their relationship. This really becomes a problem in S4 and never fully fixes itself by S5. This slowly building separation is why they don't see each others' big problems in S6. This is amazingly well thought out and smart character development which is completely unique to the television landscape.

From the moment we meet Faith in the alley I liked her more than Kendra. While I admitted I liked what Kendra brought out in Buffy, she just never really interested me as a character. Faith on the other hand is a completely different story. She's complicated, conflicted, and interesting right away. She's also the anti-Kendra. Kendra made us feel like Buffy was an irresponsible Slayer. Faith brings up the point that Buffy needs to find the fun in slaying, which is saying that Faith thinks Buffy is too responisble. All of this just goes to show how well balanced Buffy really is, which is probably why she's still alive right now. It's also interesting that Faith and Buffy are verbally sparring with each other during their first patrol together. Boy this this hint at things to come.

The whole fighting makes Slayers "hungry and horny" comment from Faith turns out to have a lot of truth behind it. Although we don't get an admission from Buffy here, it is proven that she does have that urge in future seasons. I believe the first time this is really brought to light is in "The I in Team" (4x13), when Buffy and Riley have sex after capturing the spear demon. I must admit that I laughed when, after Faith made the comment, the whole gang turned to look at Buffy. Also an amusing reference to S4 is when Joyce says about Faith, "I like this girl." I was laughing when comparing her comment to what happens in "This Year's Girl" (4x15): Faith is threatening to kill Joyce with a knife in her bedroom.

I really thought the scene where Buffy "lets go" of Angel by leaving the ring in the mansion and says good bye was well done. That should have ended the Buffy and Angel relationship issues for good. I sure hope the only reason Angel came back was to prepare him for his own show, because I would have much rather had him stay gone. I can't help but feel Angel's return here cheapens his 'death' in "Becoming Pt. 2" (2x22), and that's not a good thing.

Kakistos was unfortunately a poorly written, not to mention boring, villain. He comes into town carrying history with Faith, yet all we get is a one dimensional and surprisingly weak vampire. Faith completely shutting down just at the sight of him doesn't rub off well on me either; I just don't buy it. At least he was killed off quickly though. I liked the suave high-tech nature of Mr. Trick a lot more and was pleased to see him ditch his 'boss' for better things. On the whole, this is a really good episode.

moreless

FAITH!

By joxerlives, Jan 19, 2012

The Good;

Faith. Need I really say any more? Faith dancing and fighting is great but also the scenes where we get to see her terrified, more vulnerable side. Love the scenes where Buffy is being single-white-femaled by Faith which she takes with suprising good humour. And Angel's back, yay! Love Joyce sticking it to Snyder and the uncoupling scene at Buffy's picnic.

The Bad;

The idea of Mr Trick being able to order children online as food is just too horrible for words

Best line; Mr Trick "Admittedly not a haven for the bruthas, strictly of the Caucasion persuasion here in the Dale" just beating Xander's wonderful "People say kids don't learn anything at High School. well I learnt, I learnt to be afraid!"

Tied up; no but presumably Faith was handcuffed when she was arrested

Kinky dinky; Now that Faith is on the scene I expect to have a great deal more to write in this column. She starts off with naked slaying and alligator wrestling and saying Slaying makes you 'hungry and horny' (of course in Get It Done we discover why Slayers have these sort of feelings). And of course, the writers find an excuse for nude Angel too. According to Willow Buffy has a thing she does with her mouth that 'boys like'. Hmmmmm? Xander calls Buffy a slut. Buffy's fondling of the letter opener is reminiscent of her stroking the crystal in 'Helpless'. Cordy refers to Faith as 'Slut-o-rama' but also suggests that she dress up as a Slayer and put a stake to Xander's throat, a sex game he seems keen on.

Calling Captain Subtext; Faith obviously hungers for both a mother and father figure, commenting on Giles' 'youth and beauty' and obviously enamoured of Joyce, saying she's really cool (something I suspect Buffy and Dawn would also think but never say). Joyce says she likes Faith and Buffy describes Joyce as the 'best mom ever'. Faith's line about her 'Dead mother hitting harder than that' is loaded with not so hidden meaning. Faith has not only never knew her dad but lost her mother and also her female Watcher making her pretty desperate for some maternal/paternal love. So I pronounce this Jaith and Gaith. She also starts putting the moves on Scott Hope, the beginning of a long tradition of stealing Buffy's boyfriends (Buffy is still touchy when Faith mentions Angel). BUT even Buffy describes Faith as 'personable' the beginning of the biggest subtext in the series. Joyce actually refers to marching in the 'Slayer pride parade' again likening being the Slayer to being gay.

Questions and observations;

The introduction of Mr Trick and Faith, the series just never looking back from this point. Kakistos seems to not be killable with a regular stake. Like The Master he seems to be so old that he's devolving into a Turok-Han. Martha Stewart is mentioned as she is later revealed by Anya to be a witch. Giles' subtle efforts to get Buffy to reveal the truth about what happened to Angel (another point against Normal Again, Buffy never knows about this). There are no leprechauns in the Buffyverse but judging by DB's attempts at an Irish accent and Charmed's efforts in that direction we should be grateful. Faith's dead Watcher was female, the first we've heard about. I know some people think that she was killed during Faith's Cruciamentum which we'll later see in Helpless but that happens when a Slayer turns 18 and Faith is younger than Buffy who is 17 (Buffy refers to Faith as her little sister, at least until Dawn comes along). Giles loves to kayak. Couldn't the Watcher's Council pay for Faith to have a better apartment? Or couldn't she live with Giles or Buffy and Joyce (Dawn's room isn't being used yet). Mr Trick is right, not many visible ethnic minorities in Sunnydale but I've been to Santa Barbara which it's apparently based on and it's a pretty accurate representation. Giles warns Willow for the first time about abuse of magic. You can make fire from ice and it doesn't take magic. Presumably Khakisto's scar doesn't heal because Faith inflicted it with some form of enchanted weapon, like Spike's with the Chinise Slayer. Joyce comments on Buffy being an only child and learns for the first time that Buffy died. You wonder what Dawn makes of Faith? She resents her when they first meet in season 7 but what's her attitude on season 3?

Why no commentaries on all these brilliant episodes? Crap like Reptile Boy gets them but not classics like this? Please Joss, if you need a few million dollars to finance your next project just sit down with the cast and do some commentaries for Buffy; Special Edition DVDs, we'd all buy them.

10/10

moreless

A new Slayer comes to town and she has a secret. Starring: Sarah Michelle Gellar, Nicholas Brendon, Alyson Hannigan, Charisma Carpenter, Seth Green, David Boreanaz, and Anthony Stewart Head as "Giles"

By budde22, Jan 03, 2011

This episode brought in the new slayer since Kendra died, Faith (guest star Eliza Dushku). Bringing Faith in and having the characters interact with Faith is one of my favorite arcs that Buffy has had. Faith bringing Kakistos (guest star Jeremy Roberts) with her to Sunnydale, and her being hugely afriad of him, not only shows that Slayers can die easily, but how strong of a Slayer Buffy (Sarah Michelle Gellar) is. Also this episode was a huge reveal with the arc of Angel (David Boreanaz) returning to the show. That was huge, and i practically jumpe dout of my chair when it happened. This was a really great episode.moreless

By TrueTvWatcher, Oct 14, 2010

Faith, Hope and Trick was a great episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I really enjoyed watching this episode which intorduced a few new characters, had great action, and relatable experiences. A new menace to society has shown up in Sunnydale and they are looking for the Slayer, however the Slayer they seek is a new Slayer named Faith. She's a dark beauty who Slays and Plays Hard. She gets really comfy with Buffy's friends, family, and watcher. Buffy is feeling a little over-written. There was also a new possible love interest for Buffy in the form of Scott. Wonder how that will go, with the shocking ending and what happened.moreless

Season 3, Episode 3.

By Wanted23, Apr 20, 2009

Buffy learns that another slayer has come to town. Her name is Faith, and after she gains the attention of Buffy's friends, Buffy suspects she has a secret.

Eliza Dushku's first episode as Faith! Hehe, I love Faith. She is awesome. She's like my 2nd favorite character, after Buffy. Buffy is also finally let back into Sunnydale High! It only took three episodes. Hehe. I liked Oz's comment about Martha Stewart. LMAO. I like the idea of Buffy and Faith slaying. I also think Joyce needs to give up the idea that Buffy can just stop being the slayer, because she's just annoying now. Good episode! :)moreless

Faith: Isn't it crazy how slayin' just always makes you hungry and horny?

Buffy: Well... sometimes I crave a nonfat yogurt afterwards.

By addict666, Aug 01, 2008

A new slayer comes to town and she is quite different from the last one. I think Faith is introduced very well and her character brings a nice contrast to the show. I like how she fits in so well with the gang at first (even though that changes). Buffy's jealously is nice as well because it brings out the competitive side of her. Seeing Faith afraid is also good because it shows the vulnerability of her character that really exhibits itself later in the series when she falls away from the Buffy lifestyle. Mr. Trick is also a nice addition because of his subtle racial comedy and his overall smooth demeanor. And Willow and Oz are really cute in this episode!moreless

New slayer in town.

By eloi_emmanuelle, Apr 26, 2008

A new slayer comes to Sunnydale. Faith is called after Kendra was killed. Faith seems charming and happy-go-lucky doing anything she pleases. She is somewhat the opposite of Buffy who doesn't much care for her responsibilities and is really just out for the kill. She seems to fit in perfectly in the gang which makes Buffy feel like she is being replaced. It turns out, our "happy-go-lucky" slayer isn't really at all. We find out that a powerful vampire, Kakistos, is out to get Faith. It is also revealed that Faith's watcher was killed in front of Faith leaving her traumatized and unable to face Kakistos. Buffy then helps her overcome her fear and kill Kakistos.moreless

A Faith So Essential

By lenzinoH20, Jan 16, 2008

Faith, Hope and Trick-A new Slayer arrives in town. Faith, who was called after Kendra died, seems like a fun-loving, wacky teenager who fits right in with the gang. Buffy worries that Faith may be taking her place in her friends hearts, and then begins to suspect that the new Slayer may be hiding something.

A refreshing episode that introduces not only some great new villians but one of the finest characters of the Buffyverse. Faith's introduction scene is completely unforgettable as Buffy and her friends watch in amazemet as this fiesty young girl kick some a$$. Eliza Dusku is a wonderful actress and her first time as Faith is impressive. Her toughness, edgy, and rebellious attitude makes her immediately standout for the bunch and quite likeable. I love that Faith pretty much wins over Buffy's friends and her mother while Buffy stands back in disgust. The dialogue is also as sharp as ever with Faith's signature phrases like calling Buffy "B" and saying "Five By Five". I also like how Faith, like Kendra, is a complete contrast of Buffy. Buffy has this balance of being a normal teenager and being the slayer while Faith just takes it too far with her carefree attitude. The scene were they are attacked by vampires indicates this as Faith takes her slaying too much as a game than as fight for her life. It's a contrast that will develop into a very dark storyline for Faith and eventually make her into one of the darkest characters of the series.

Like before, the villians introduced are brilliant, Kakistos is an innovative looking vampire with his cloven hands and feet. But Mr. Trick is definately the best of the both of them though! It's about time we got a minority villian as Mr. Trick is a clever, slick, and smart character. K. Todd Freeman is perfect in the role and his hilarious dialogue like being the only brotha in Sunnydale and the whole town having the theme of the "caucasian persuaion" is flawlessly delievered.

Mr. Trick's dialogue is not the only part of the script that stands out but lines like "Single white femaled" and Buffy not getting Kakistos' name right by trying to figure it out like saying "Kissing toast, he lived for kissing toast". The episode also has some great scenes like Buffy and her mom taunting Snyder as he has no choice to let Buffy back into school. Also, the dream sequence with Angel is one of the most frightening scenes of the series. The episode has an exciting conclusion with Buffy taking on a group of vampires while coaching Faith on slaying as she must face her fears and stop Kakistos. The sight of Faith killing Kakistos with a huge stake is amazing by bringing some fresh looking effects for the series. What's also great is that Buffy finally confesses about what happened with Angel and it gives her a sense of relief for finally be honest. The only downside is Buffy's short lived and boring relationship with Scott Hope which starts in this episode and lasts for like 2 more. The character of Scott is really pointless and he is only really used a minor plot device to get Buffy to finally move on from Angel. But the episode ends with a shocking seqeunce of Angel coming back from hell and in the nude no less! All and All, one of the best episodes of season with a brilliant script, great introductions, stunning special effects and action.moreless

Faith's first episode does a good job setting up her character while helping the season's theme of identity.

By ticktock24, Dec 20, 2007

After a bumpy start to the season, which consisted mainly of throwing things back to where they were before "Becoming", this episode effectively starts to introduce the major characters in the current season's storyline. The first third of the show's title, Faith, would be a major player for the rest of the season and later on "Angel". They didn't do much with Kendra as comparison to Buffy, but that's likely because there wasn't much story in it. Faith brings a lot to the table and this episode sets the foundation for what they would do with her.

Obviously the episode's biggest contribution to the series is Faith, called after Kendra's demise. Like Kendra, Faith serves as another possible avenue Buffy could've gone. Kendra was practically raised to be a slayer. Faith, however, came from a troubled background, which is hinted at throughout the episode. As identity is a major facet of this season, Faith is a "dark reflection" (as many have called it) of Buffy: what she would've been like had she not had her mother, Giles and friends.

Despite that, Faith is initially a hit with those close to Buffy (except for Cordelia). She is charismatic and outgoing, easily flirting with the guys (including Giles) and hanging out with Xander and Willow while they tour the school (a lot of call backs to past episodes). Xander's attraction to Faith is obvious and believable as she is alluring and something dangerous compared to his other friends. Joyce likes her because she could possibly replace Buffy, allowing her daughter to have that normal life she desires (why no one said this between Kendra's arrival and Angelus return is not clear).

While it is rooted in slight jealousy, Buffy's concern that Faith likes slaying "a little too much" is warranted. As seen when Kakistos' vamps attack the pair, Faith wails on one long after she would be declared the winner. Slaying is her way of dealing with deep rooted psychological problems and she's placing that above her duty. Faith's attitude is also rather cocky, believing that whomever she fights, she will win. She's likely spent most of her life powerless, and this new calling is what she's wanted her whole life. However, as this episode begins to show, this attitude is a defense mechanism. At her core she's afraid. Following Kakistos' slaughter of her Watcher, she bolted to Sunnydale in hopes that Buffy could do it for her. Like Buffy, she has to face something she's been afraid to confront for some time and simply can't do it.

Mr. Trick may have been seen as a potential big bad for the season, from the clear attempt to give him as many noteworthy lines as possible to the tradition of having vampires be the major villain. However, it's clear this guy was more a follower, siding himself with the ancient, powerful Kakistos. More hints are made to the mayor, but nothing substantial is seen yet.

This episode's major antagonist Kakistos, with his cloven hands and feet, recalls an early season one concept of old vampires appearing less human. Considering the centurion vampires who frequent the show, it'd be tough to guess when that'd happen, so the concept as a whole was jettisoned again after this episode, only brought back in one episode in the last season of "Angel".

Scott Hope, the third of the eponymous characters, serves to give Buffy a shot at a relationship post-Angel. Scott's pretty boring overall, but that's something that isn't a bad thing for a relationship, rather than a tragic romance that's nothing but drama. Some of the things Scott does may cause concern, as he says he wants Buffy to be a part of his life. What 17-year-old, much less anybody, would say that to a crush?

Although Buffy reclaims the parts that made her life before she left, coming to terms with what happened isn't as easy. Whenever someone, particularly Giles, inquires about what happened to Acathla, she explains as quickly and description free as possible. While some may question Giles' tactics of lying to Buffy as a way to get her to face what happened, it's not much different than parents lying to their children for what they perceive to be a greater good.

In the end, Buffy sees Faith's attitude as a motivator to come clean about what happened, as well as move forward with a new relationship with a guy who is rather boring compared to the high tragedy of her last relationship. Of course, that is way too easy, so Angel is spit back from the hell dimension he was sent to in the finale.

Angel's return is a point of controversy, one they tried to answer properly on his show a few years later. Considering he wasn't removed from the man cast, it was unlikely that he'd be stuck doing fantasy/dream sequences for the whole season. While Buffy has said she killed him, technically that isn't the case, as he didn't dust like a traditional vamp. Rather, she sent him to the hell dimension Acathla planned to suck the world into last season. So resurrection discussion may not be worthwhile.

Some may think this negates Buffy's impossible choice at the end of season two. That isn't the case; complicating Buffy's relationship with Scott is only the beginning. Since Angelus murdered Jenny, they can't go back dating like nothing happened. Plus the "pure happiness" clause is still in effect. With Angel still around, he'll have to deal with the consequences of his evil alter-ego, which also sets up his own show.

Willow's excursions into magic make some developments as well. At the beginning of the episode she shows enthusiasm whenever spells are mentioned, but is insecure because she didn't know the result of the restoration spell, believing it went bad because Buffy had to send Angel to hell. When Buffy reveals that she succeeded performing the spell, Willow simultaneously feels sorry for Buffy, but happy that she was able to perform a spell that no one alive has been able to successfully perform.

For Faith's first episode, this episode does a good job of setting up her character, from her confident exterior to the troubled young girl inside. The parallels between her and Buffy are also well done. Scott Hope may be the dangling subplot of the episode, but it's forgivable considering the set up we get for the other stories.moreless

Faith is so cool!

By heart_sark, Apr 21, 2007

Buffy follows a girl outside and soon finds out there is a new slayer in town. She seems to be stealing Buffy's friends and impressing everyone she knows. She is an absolute foil to buffy's character. Then an interesting detail is revealed, and we see Faith at the pretty much most vulnerable she will ever be. Alot of plot lines in season 3 are set up. All in all, a very good episode introducing one of my favorite characters.

Load More Reviews