Episode Reviews (30)

Good
7.9

By arkanitoo, Jul 09, 2012

This is an extremely fun episode! The main plot is intentionally hokey and really pretty dumb, but all the people involved play it out for maximum laughs and for the most part, it works. With all the heavy themes and emotions running wild over the last group of episodes, it's actually quite refreshing to have one excessively inconsequential 'fun' episode before the heartbreakers, "Becoming Pt. 1" (2x21) and "Becoming Pt. 2" (2x22), roll in. In only that goal, this episode fantastically succeeds, mostly due to its timely humor.

I don't have a lot to say about this aside from a few observations. First up is that Willow should have been replaced as teacher of the Computer Science class by now. It's not that I don't like seeing Willow teaching but rather that it's completely unrealistic. Second of all, I find Cordelia's comment, that winners get special treatment because that's just the way the world works, very intriguing. From my own experiences, this comment seems to be far to commonly true. It's also important to realize that the definition of who is a 'winner' changes during different stages of your life. In high school a 'winner' may be a jock, while in your 30's whoever has the most money is generally considered the 'winner,' regardless of physical appearance.

I really enjoyed seeing Buffy beat the shit out of the guy who was trying to take sexual advantage of her in his car. Xander's comment to the jocks later, "I love it when you guys mess with her," is also highly entertaining. It's funny to note that when Buffy doesn't want to turn guys on the guys seem to want to jump on top of her, yet when she wants to be sexually attractive she has trouble. When Buffy goes stalker girl on Gage, the swim team guy, so she can protect him, he seems completely turned off by her. She amusingly admits her sex appeal is on the fritz. This problem possibly stems from the fact that she really is very sexually insecure with herself. Her experience with Angel certainly didn't help at all.

This episode bashes all those dumb teachers in high school who think "school spirit" is a matter of life and death, and I adore it for that. When I was in high school I always had teachers telling me I needed more "school spirit" and that I had to attend school assemblies. Thank you Scoobies for helping to show the world how amazingly dumb "school spirit" is. "School spirit" can burn in that pile of books over there titled 'useless.'

So there's the gratifying "school spirit" and jock bashing, but the ending ocean scene leaves me feeling odd. I don't know what to make out of that. Anyway, the biggest draw of this episode is the ridiculously funny dialog. The characters have fun with the corny plot and everyone has a good time of it. This isn't blow-you-away material, but it's definitely a lot of fun if you're in the non-serious mood.moreless

Something fishy going on

By joxerlives, Jan 19, 2012

The Good;

Good analogy of the competiveness of sports, the dangers of cheating and sports stars being feted and misbehaving as a result (does a week go by without that happening?). Very nice transformation scenes and a great mislead. Some great humour surrounding Xander and his relationship with Cordy, Snyder and of course the Angel subplot isn't forgotten (Why Miss Summers, you're beautiful). Love her Diana Prince moment and her stalking Gage. Plus Jonathon!

The Bad;

Terrible monster outfits! Also isn't it a bit much to let the swimteam just go at the end? They've already killed 2 humans in addition to gangraping Buffy, what if they decide to start attacking yachts full of tasty bimbos etc?

Best line;

Xander; I'm undercover

Buffy (leering); Not under much!

Wheldon cliches;

Character death; the coach and the school nurse at the 5th and 6th members of the SDH faculty to die in 2 years

Women good/men bad; Buffy gets sexually assaulted twice, making it the 4th and 5th time for her (if we don't count the Master mauling her) Cam deservedly getting his nose broken in reply to his forcing himself upon her and Buffy's already doubtful reputation ("I heard someone say she was fast") taking a further blow by 'doing it' with the entire swimteam. Nice role reversal though in the girls ogling Xander rather than the other way around for once.

Kinky dinky;

Xander in his speedos often considered as his sexiest moment in the series. Although a sizeable minority think his sexiest moment when he was hyena possessed in The Pack which says a great many things about Buffyfans?

Subtext; Xander seem nervous at the thought of being in the steam room with a bunch of near naked guys. By contrast the girls all seem to be very taken by the sight of him in his speedos, even Willow which seems to once again suggest she's bi rather than gay

What the fanficcers thought; Buffy 'doing it' with the entire Mutant Swimteam an alarmingly popular pairing. In the end she kills them all with a swordfish's nose and escapes with Willow and Xander's help. If you like the idea of Buffy or any of the Buffy girls 'doing it' with demons just type 'Monsters and Angels/GOT' into your search engine

Questions and observations;

I always thought the guy from Prison Break looked familar, rewatching this I now know why (although he doesn't have the tats yet). It's a shame he gets transformed, I love the little hints of a relationship developing between him and Buffy, especially a terrified Gage asking Buffy to walk him home after she saves him from Angelus (talk about gender roles reversal, the strapping athlete asking the petite blonde to protect him). Cam reminds me of Buffy's old boyfriend from LA and the type of guys she used to go out with. Now of course she rapidly get's bored of him as he's nothing compared to Angel and the steroids have made him a jerk. Presumably either the coach added magic to the steroid mix or he's another recipient of the Hellmouth Genius effect.

7/10 I think, a pretty slight tale but funny nonetheless

moreless

By TrueTvWatcher, Oct 14, 2010

Go Fish was a good episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and it had a Disturbing Behavior feel to it at some points. Willow continues to teach Ms. Calendar's class, as Principal Snyder continues to monitor her, and make special arrangements for swim team members. In this episode we also see a completely new side of Zander as he goes under cover on the swim team to find out whats going on. The girls of the Scooby Gang are surprised to see him on the team sporting a speedo. The swim team coach is the main culprit in this episode and played his part well. This was an entertaining episode to watch.moreless

Standard freak of the week episode. Swim team turns into fish monsters, people die, nobody cares.

By jkutcher, Sep 21, 2010

Jesus, this was a terrible episode that belongs in the dregs of season 1. I'm not a Buffy hater, but this episode was just laughable. While there were some funny bits and I did enjoy Zander and Cordie dialogue, it hardly makes up for this train wreck of a plot.

How in the world does a gym coach know enough about chemistry to perfect (well not really perfect) gene manipulation? Once again it annoys me how little anyone seems to care that several students are now trapped in fish form. Granted they were jerks and had some serious hard-ons for the ocean, but doesn't anyone care about their families? On top of that, we have two dead teachers. No big deal, I'm sure the school can get a student like Willow to sub for the whole year! No school would let a student teach a class and actually grade her fellow peers. I know its a TV show, but come on.

Nice Pie charts Everyone :)moreless

By vicky24c, Apr 12, 2010

Season 2 &3 are my favourite seasons of Buffy and even though this is not my favourite episode, it is still pretty good. In this episode members of the school swimming team being skinned by an unknown demon. After more investigating, it is discovered that the team are being skinned in order of their positions on the swimming team. When the Scooby Gang investigate, they discover this & Buffy follows the swimmer whom they believe to be the next victim. Angel attacks him at one point and he doesn't seem to like the swimmers blood. After more investigating it is discovered that the team are not in fact being skinned but are in fact turning into demons themselves. The Scooby Gang discover that the swimming coach has being putting steroids into the air in the steam room, which has been causing the team to transform into demons. In the end, in true Buffy fashion, Buffy saves the day and the coach is no more.

The best part of this episode is when Willow is interrogating Jonathan and when we see Xander in his Speedos. Overall a good episode of Buffy when compared to some of the worst, but when compared to some of the best, it's not brilliant.moreless

Season 2, Episode 20.

By Wanted23, Apr 19, 2009

Sunnydale High swim team members are mysteriously skinned alive, and it is discovered that they are taking in a form of steroids that turns them into fish-like creatures.

This wasn't my favorite episode, but it wasn't necessarily bad. We saw Nicholas Brendan in a speedo. Rawr. Haha, and I also liked seeing Conchata Farrel in a serious role that wasn't Two and a Half Men. I didn't expect it. A lot of those swim team members were hot, too! I also LOVED when Cordelia said that she would still date Xander even if he was a fish. It was very unexpected of her. Decent episode.moreless

So, the swim team.

By addict666, Jul 31, 2008

This episode's placement is really it's downfall. It is an episode that is better suited for the beginning of the season when things are just getting started, not at a pivotal time in the series, but I like the episode none the less. It kind of shows how real life has to continue even in face of all the evil that is taking place around Buffy. I also love Wentworth Miller and he is really hot in this episode, a jerk, yes but still really hot. I also find Xander's turn as an athlete to be really funny and the random appearance of Shane West is also appreciated. The scene at the end is cute with them swimming off to the ocean, overall a good episode that was badly placed, but I am one of the few who love filler.moreless

Could have been better...

By RosAzzo, Jun 11, 2008

I just did not like those monster, they were just ugly! This was not one of my favourite episodes. I just think that it could have been much better without those ugly monsters.

It had a pretty good story and it was nice seeing Xander in his speedos :)

As an Episode and a Story it was not so bad, but monster coming out of their skin that was just a bit disgusting.

I think it was just a filler episode but it was kind of a bad one... I guess the coach was behind all those monster and at the end the monsters lived happily ever after...moreless

Ehw, Fish Guts!

By lenzinoH20, Jan 31, 2008

Go Fish-When several members of the Sunnydale High swim team are mysteriously skinned alive, Buffy and the gang take it upon themselves to protect the remaining members, which results in Xander revealing a side of himself rarely seen.

The last of the "classic horror movie monster" episode of the seasons, "Go Fish" is does the whole swamp thing/Creature from the Black Lagoon thing and it's just a mess. The whole metaphor for stereoids turing the average athlete into a monster is weak and is not executed well. The guest stars are mediocre yet some are up in coming stars like Shane West and future Prison Break star Wentworth Miller. Also, the fish creatures look too much like the monster it's inspired from and lose their appeal. Also, Angelus is pretty much used as a convenient yet horrible plot device to show they're is something wrong with the athletes' blood. I also hated the coach who is reponsible for the swim teams' transformation and the annoying nurse who got eaten, thank god!

The only redeeming parts are hilarious scenes like Xander showing up wearing his speedo and when Cordelia mistakes Xander for being one of the fish monsters. Also, Gage's transformation into the fish monster is a cool sequence. But a las, the episode is hardly bearable and pretty much has those scenes to entertain you.moreless

It's not that this was a bad episode...

By tiewashere, Dec 05, 2007

It's not that this was a bad episode, but the placing was horrible and didn't at all help the story arc. This seems to be a pattern that BTVS returns to time and time again.

The episode revolves around the school swim team and of course their is something fishy with them, literally. A demon seems to be snatching their insides and leaving the skin behind for the scoobies to find. When Xander tries out for the swim team, does this mean it is the end for him too? Or can Buffy save him? After a wonderful monster-of-the-week episode, "I Only Have Eyes for You" I don't understand why BTVS would switch to an below average one, and right before the climax of the season. With this barely contributing to the story arc and not having really any memorably moments (except for the numerous boys in speedos) their isn't much praise here. This episode would have gotten a sure fire higher rating if it had come earlier into the season before the story arc had been created and waiting to be resolved. The one thing that stood out to me is that this is the first time BTVS shows truly graphic images. Before this, there was barely anything with blood and guts but seeing Gage's hand split in two and having a demon come out of it on television surely had my mouth open (not wanting to eat of course).

The episode does have some low points, from its repetitiveness and its lack of something wonderful that makes Buffy Buffy. It barely even resolves the problems set forth from some of the characters and that just pisses me off even more. I don't know, it just doesn't stand out as one of the top episodes of the season.moreless

Load More Reviews