Episode Reviews (40)

Superb

By tarafan2, Jun 12, 2013

The only complaint I have is that at the end, when Buffy becomes herself again, she knocks Spike on the floor and lets him run away without any effort to keep him trapped. She could have beaten him to a bloody pulp until someone got her a stake. Aside from that, though, there is much fun to be had here!

The episode begins with a vampire filming Buffy, with a video camera, fighting a different vampire. We soon discover that this video is meant for Spike. He is studying the Slayer in even more detail, preparing for their next encounter. Not only is it great seeing Spike checking her out like this, but James Marsters has this uncanny ability to hold your attention when he's on screen. Spike is just such a fun character to watch, regardless of the plot. Juliet Landau doesn't slouch either as Drusilla. She manages to convey this sense of extreme helplessness and utter creepiness at the exact same time. How that is possible I do not know.

I'd like to quickly mention that I really appreciate the continuity of the smaller stuff, like Devon checking out Cordelia in "Inca Mummy Girl", so now they're trying to date. A little more significant in plot is Buffy and Angel trying to meet for coffee. The entire last episode dealt with the fact that Angel didn't want to get together with Buffy for a coffee. It's just really refreshing to see this stuff remembered and built upon.

Anyway, I enjoyed seeing Buffy wondering if Angel would prefer she were a noble woman from his time. This naturally leads to the scene in Ethan's costume shop where she goes all wide-eyed and cute over the pink princess dress. She gets the dress from Ethan Rayne, who casts a spell to turn people into their costumes. It is really cool seeing what everyone thinks of the new, helpless, Buffy. Cordelia says it best by saying, "what's that riff?" Everyone else is pretty confused by her transformation except for Willow who gets to take charge of the situation all by herself.

Willow gets a ton of character development here. She finally gets a big dose of self confidence, which is an important step in her ongoing journey to becoming a very powerful individual. She hides her skimpy outfit out of shyness but then, post-spell, is forced to walk around in it. Until Giles asked her "the ghost of what?" she hadn't even noticed that she looked all skimpy. This goes to show that when things get out of hand and Buffy's not around to take charge, she has it in her to take command and acheive that self-confidence.

The whole concept of this plot is just really fun. A lot of roles get to reverse and all the characters are stronger for it. As mentioned before, Willow gets to take charge, but Buffy becomes the opposite: helpless. Seeing Buffy that pretrified is very new, and of course Spike loves it. Xander also gets in the action, literally this time, and just all around kicks ass. He beats up Larry to protect Buffy when earlier in the episdode Buffy protected Xander from Larry. Xander's "beating up that pirate gave me a weird sense of closure" is a hoot. Giles also gets some development which is a result of his dialog with Ethan. We find out that they know each other and that Giles has quite the unsavory past. This adds some intrigue and depth to a character that was hanging around the two-dimensional mark.

Overall there is a ton of good stuff in here. Lots of subtle and not-so subtle character development mixed with a fun plot and great acting. This is a very fun episode to watch and new people who are just getting into the show always love it. I'm right there with them, this is a great stuff.moreless

By arkanitoo, Jul 09, 2012

Here we have humor and action deftly woven together to create an absolutely wonderful episode. The only complaint I have is that at the end, when Buffy becomes herself again, she knocks Spike on the floor and lets him run away without any effort to keep him trapped. She could have beaten him to a bloody pulp until someone got her a stake. Aside from that, though, there is much fun to be had here!

The episode begins with a vampire filming Buffy, with a video camera, fighting a different vampire. We soon discover that this video is meant for Spike. He is studying the Slayer in even more detail, preparing for their next encounter. Not only is it great seeing Spike checking her out like this, but James Marsters has this uncanny ability to hold your attention when he's on screen. Spike is just such a fun character to watch, regardless of the plot. Juliet Landau doesn't slouch either as Drusilla. She manages to convey this sense of extreme helplessness and utter creepiness at the exact same time. How that is possible I do not know.

I'd like to quickly mention that I really appreciate the continuity of the smaller stuff, like Devon checking out Cordelia in "Inca Mummy Girl" (2x04), so now they're trying to date (Devon doesn't show up). A little more significant in plot is Buffy and Angel trying to meet for coffee. The entire last episode dealt with the fact that Angel didn't want to get together with Buffy for a coffee. It's just really refreshing to see this stuff remembered and built upon.

Classic Buffy

By joxerlives, Jan 16, 2012

The Good;

Pretty much everything, great ep, love the alternate Scoobies, the Xena ref, the first appearance of Ethan and Ripper, the fight in the pumpkin stall at the beginning, Dru and Spike back, Oz, Larry, Cordy in her pussycat costume, Willow getting 'Sexy and Wild' (love her strutting at the end, do you think she got any offers?) the list goes on. Buffy unknowingly impersonating Darla and fainting (but at least she doesn't get tied up) and clinging onto Cordy's arm

The Bad;

Open to suggestions?

Best line;

Hard to pick but I'd say;

Willow "She couldn't have gone as Xena?

Just pipping Giles' "The ghost of what exactly?" upon seeing Will's streetwalker outft and "You went mental when?" from Cordy

Questions and observations:

Willow appears to be a Xena fan. Hmmmmm? Of course Xena started a couple of years before Buff and without it I don't think we'd have had Buffy. In one ep they refer to the play Buffus the Bachae Slayer. You could say that Spike's fascination with Buffy is evident in his watching the video of her fighting. Love Willow walking through the wall and people's reaction to it. The long tracking shot of Xander transforming into Rambo. Where are Joyce and Dawn during all of this? Either he reloads offscreen or Xander's rifle has a limitless magazine. Another hint of attraction between Cordy and soldier Xander. Angel wears a blue shirt which is ok but not really him. The Summers house get's trashed for the first time. How does the vamp Angel fights in the kitchen get in without being invited? First appearance of SDH's famous soda machine. Buffy get's sexually assaulted AGAIN, mauled by Pirate Larry (who really musn't be himself considering what we learn later). We discover that Cordy doesn't know Angel is a vamp. Xander tells Cordy she'll never get between Buffy and Angel, well almost. Giles tortures Ethan for info, the Scoobies really seem to have a knack for it. Reputedly Joss fired the writer of this ep afterwards, don't know why he did a good job?

10/10 afters a couple of false starts season 2 firing on all cylindersmoreless

By TrueTvWatcher, Oct 12, 2010

Halloween was a superb episode of Buffy The Vampire Slayer's Second Season. This episode introduced us to a new villian from Giles's past, and I have a feeling we will be seeing him in the future as well. Chaos was the order of the night, on All Hallows Eve in Sunnydale as people started turning into their costumes. It was fun to watch this episode seeing what people were and how they changed. It was also interesting to note that Oz keeps seeing Willow in different aspects, which is a neat way to build their story line. I think that this was another Classic Episode of Buffy.moreless

Season 2, Episode 6.

By Wanted23, Apr 16, 2009

Giles saves the day! On Halloween, Buffy, Xander, and Willow are volunteered by Principal Snyder to take little children trick-or-treating. However, the costume store that they bought their costumes at is cursed or something and it causes them to become whatever they were for Halloween. Spike returns in this episode, too. At least Drusilla wasn't in this episode, I don't think. Cool episode. I liked Buffy as the 1800s princess girl or whatever. Cordelia's costume was hot, and so was Xander's! Rawr. Angel is still the sexiest one. I have a feeling Ethan comes back, but I haven't seen the show in a while so I can't remember. Good episode.moreless

My all time favourite Buffy episode.

By tv_buffy_addict, Jan 26, 2009

It's halloween the one night of the year when the supernateral world is supposed to be quiet, but of course it's not. Thanks to Ethan Rayne everyone turns into their costume.

Buffy is suddenly a helpless noble woman, while Xander is macho and Willow's a ghost. It was really funny. We also get the first look into Giles' past.

I like all the Buffy/Angel -ness that happens this ep. First their date kinda fails, then Buffy tries to be like the women he used to know only to find out he didn't like them.

Then there's Oz who nearly runs Willow over while still puzzled about her identity.

'Halloween' is a great episode.moreless

A slow night for the vampires.

By addict666, Jul 31, 2008

Halloween episodes of this series are so great and I love this one in particular. I like Buffy's jealously that leads her to dress up like a lady just as Ethan works his magic on the town. Willow's turn as the ghost/random sexy costume are really hilarious and it is nice to see her staying shy in face of peer pressure. Then when Oz sees her at the end and has to continually wounder who's that girl is really great. Xander as the military man is great and makes him seem much more attractive (I have to agree with Cordy on that one). Then the fight scene with Spike, proving that he really can never win is great. This episode is really good and funny and shows off a different side to a lot of the characters.moreless

All the characters get to dress up for Halloween.

By tvloverduh, Apr 01, 2008

A series clasic is an obvious choice of words to describe this episode. The fun in seeing Buffy act as a damsel in distress, Xander as a soldior, and Willow as a slutty ghost is undeniable. The way the characters act is priceless. Also, it's nice to see Spike and Drusilla again. Also, the introduction of Giles's dark past and the introduction the Ethan are major points to the episode. We again get to see Oz, unfortunatly, he doesn't do anything... again. Seeing Xander brave and seeing Buffy a coward made the episode interesting to watch; they both really shine in this episode. Willow, as always, her old unsure self, but in this episode, helps to save the day. Seeing all of the costume changes was great, I mean, come on, how awesome is little demon kids running around. This episode really sets the bar high for all Buffy episodes to reach.moreless

It's Halloween and Principal Snyder makes Buffy, Willow, and Xander take a group of children trick or treating. Ethan Rayne has a costume shop and when kids put on their costume they turn into whatever they were dressed as.

By Jon_MW_14, Feb 24, 2008

"Halloween" was one the best episodes in season 2. It was very creative and really funny. I think Buffy was funny. She was dressed up as an 18th century woman from Angels teenage years and she acted so girly. She was afraid of everything. She was hilarious. Willow was also very funny. Buffy tries to make Willow look sexy, but Willow feels uncomfortable, so she weasr a ghost costume. It's funny when she becomes a sexy ghost. I liked that Xander become a soldier. He didn't seem so useless. Cordelia and Angel were funny when they saw what Buffy, Willow, and Xander acted like. I laughed so hard.moreless

The Costumes Are Taking Over!

By lenzinoH20, Jan 14, 2008

Halloween-On Halloween Buffy, Willow and Xander are "volunteered" by Principal Snyder to take groups of kids trick-or-treating. Buffy seizes the opportunity to impress Angel by dressing as a woman from the time when he was human. When most of the kids in Sunnydale magically become whatever they were dressed as, it is up to soldier-Xander and ghost-Willow to find a way to break the spell and defend Buffy, who is now a weak and frail 18th century noblewoman.

One of the first episode to show that Buffy was a very creative and original, "Halloween" is full of thrills, laughs and a amazing concept. The idea that the characters become the costumes they're wearing is genuis and used to it's full potential.

I liked how each of the characters are affected by the costumes or the situation. Buffy wanting to be like women from Angel's teenage years, she dresses up as proper lady of the 18th century. She becomes in fact, a young woman from the 18th century and is the most lost of the bunch. She thinks cars are demons and speaks with bad british accent, no wait, that just Sarah, lol. Buffy makes Willow look sexy for Halloween, but she'd rather dress as a ghost. When she in fact becomes a ghost, Willow's sexy get up is releaved and in the end works well for her as she catches the attention of Oz again. Then, Xander who earlier in the episode is made out to look like a punk when Buffy saves him from Larry's bullying. But when dresses a soldier and becomes one, he becomes Rambo 2.0 and ironically, beats up Larry in return and feels a sense of closer, lol. I also loved Spike involvement in the plot and how Angel and Cordelia's reacted to everyone's change.

The best aspect would also be the introduction of Ethan Rayne and a glimpse into Glies' dark side. Both actors perform like true veterans as you completely believe they knew each years ago. It's also shocking to watch Giles show no mercy and beat the crap out of someone for the first time. Anthony S. Head truly excels in that scene and will continue to do so a few episodes from will go deeper into Giles's dark past. All and All, one of the best episodes of the season with great metaphors, shocking scenes, creative writing and convincing character interaction.moreless

Load More Reviews