Episode Reviews (33)

Good
7.7

here again -- Xander's storyline, and here again -- I don't care.

By peyngel, Dec 14, 2013

Mummy Dearest appears in Sunnydale, and her kiss takes your life. poor Xander: first that freaking Teacher/Mantis, now the Inca Mummy Girl -- he really has the worst taste in women! but thanks to the "chess/crime club" with Buffy at the head of the mummy's gone forever (though never say "forever" in the Buffyverse :)

and... finally the guy (not only some guy, but the lead guitarist of the band "Dingoes Ate My Baby") notices Willow... it will be the long journey before they become a couple (like 7 or 8 episodes more) -- but that's the beginning, right?

FAVE SCENE: Scoobies are kidding about the mummy woke up and killed Rodney.

FAVE QUOTE: Buffy: Huh! Or... possible huh.moreless

By tarafan2, Jun 12, 2013

Sure the main plot is mediocre, but at least the main characters have a bit of fun with it. Aside from the basic nature of the plot and the fact that Spike isn't in it, there's really nothing bad here. This is a decent episode that has a self-contained story and some interesting discussion about sacrifice in it.

One of the most notable things is the introduction of Oz though. Television writers everywhere should take notice here, because this is how you introduce a new main character into an already running show. Oz doesn't speak to one main character all episode long. It's also cute that he 'discovers' Willow when all covered up in that Eskimo costume. Oz is going to be slowly introduced to the main characters separately over the course of several episodes coming up, which is just really cool and so not contrived.

The rest of the episode is really about Xander and his running theme of always getting demon dates. It's amusing to know that this will never stop. The mummy girl really does care about Xander and really doesn't want to hurt him. What happened to her was tragic and not her fault but, obviously, what she is doing is wrong. I also really like her conversation with Buffy in her room about sacrifice because it exactly paralells what Buffy went through in "Prophecy Girl".

I also want to mention how much I liked the way Willow finally gave up on Xander romantically. Xander has not shown any kind of persistent interest in that kind of relationship with her from the start, so she wisely decides to move on. She isn't angry or bitter about this revelation either, which is nice. This sets up her emotional readiness to begin a relationship with Oz beginning in "What's My Line? Pt. 2".

The production values are pretty good and the music was perfect to set the mood of the happenings. There's not really much else to say about this. I simply think it is an amiable stand-alone and nothing more.moreless

By arkanitoo, Jul 09, 2012

A lot of other people give this episode a hard time, but I actually kind of like it. Sure the main plot is mediocre, but at least the main characters have a bit of fun with it. Aside from the basic nature of the plot and the fact that Spike isn't in it, there's really nothing bad here. This is a decent episode that has a self-contained story and some interesting discussion about sacrifice in it.

One of the most notable things is the introduction of Oz though. Television writers everywhere should take notice here, because this is how you introduce a new main character into an already running show. Oz doesn't speak to one main character all episode long. It's also cute that he 'discovers' Willow when all covered up in that Eskimo costume. Oz is going to be slowly introduced to the main characters separately over the course of several episodes coming up, which is just really cool and so not contrived.

The rest of the episode is really about Xander and his running theme of always getting demon dates. It's amusing to know that this will never stop (see foreshadowing section). The mummy girl really does care about Xander and really doesn't want to hurt him. What happened to her was tragic and not her fault but, obviously, what she is doing is wrong. I also really like her conversation with Buffy in her room about sacrifice because it exactly paralells what Buffy went through in "Prophecy Girl" (1x12).

I also want to mention how much I liked the way Willow finally gave up on Xander romantically. Xander has not shown any kind of persistent interest in that kind of relationship with her from the start, so she wisely decides to move on. She isn't angry or bitter about this revelation either, which is nice. This sets up her emotional readiness to begin a relationship with Oz beginning in "What's My Line? Pt. 2" (2x10).

Tell them about the mummy, honey

By joxerlives, Jan 12, 2012

Inca Mummy Girl.

The Good;

Another doomed romance for Xander with a demon/older woman. Will's lovely Eskimo outfit and the first appearance of Oz and Devon, the first of Jonathon since the pilot. Buffy's identification with Ampata is lovely. A good enough ep but not a great one. Xanders as a cowboy from the country of Leone

The Bad;

Nothing really bad here, just a little lacking in sparkle

Best line;

Oz; What impresses me in a girl involves a feather boa and the theme from a summer place (the mind boggles but I'm sure it's been covered in fanfic).

Questions and observations;

The only ep in season 2 with no Angel in it whatsoever. No Jenny either. The cordettes are back but no Harmony. The mummy's way of killing people is reminiscent of an extremely so bad it's brilliant British sci-fi horror film called Lifeforce. We discover that Xander can drive and that he is aware of Willow's crush on him (which makes him turning her down all the more cruel). How does the mummy know to call Ampata's name at the bus station? Ampata shares Buffy's room, what about the one Dawn will eventually inhabit? Willow plays with a toy frog although it's later established that she fears real ones. This marks the beginning of Willow deciding to try for boys other than Xander. Buffy comments that one day Giles will have to get a proper car and indeed he does. Does Amapata have to drain people totally? Couldn't she just take little bits of Lifeforce so she doesn't kill anyone?

4/10

moreless

So so episode

By TheHappyHermit, Nov 09, 2010

This episode wasn't that great, but it did have some redeeming qualities. I liked how they made empathize with the villain in the episode. I also liked how they revealed similarities between Buffy and the Inca Mummy Girl. They were both teenage girls who were forced to serve their society as "The Chosen One" whether they wanted to be or not. This episode was also the introduction of fan favorite Oz. This episode also contained the standard elements of many Buffy episodes (i.e. good dialog and characters). I also like how cutesy Buffy is in the early seasons. She is pouty in the early seasons (in a cute way) whereas I found her to be witchy (with a B) in the last 2-3 seasons.moreless

By TrueTvWatcher, Oct 11, 2010

Inca Mummy Girl was a captivating episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer's second season. A new character, Oz, is introduced and he is on the hunt to find out who Willow is. He plays in a band call Dingos Ate My Baby. The story in this episode is about a cultural exchange happening in Sunnydale. There are exchange students, cultural exhibits at the museum, and a dance. When a student breaks a seal held by a Mummy he releases her and she starts trying to live a new life. In the end the cost is too great, and Buffy has to take care of business. This episode also had a gleaming moment where we saw the true bond of friendship between Buffy and Zander at the end.moreless

Kiss me a mummy, mummy, kisss meee

By MovieMark, Aug 16, 2009

Poor Xander, he just can’t seem to find a normal date. Praying Mantis lady, Mummy Girl, Vengeance Demon, Cordelia. He can never seem to get a break! To be fair, it’s more action than he probably would have gotten had he not been apart of Buffy’s life.

This week’s adventure is admittedly weak. There are some nice parallels between the Inca Princess and Buffy, both plucked from their normal lives and a sacred duty forced upon them. I would have liked this relationship explored a little bit more than it is here, but that’s generally the theme of the first half of the season, with Buffy trying to adjust to her calling, which she sees as a fulltime job with no particular benefits. It’s not until she meets Kendra at a later stage that she realizes it’s her calling, her destiny. Not a job.

Poor Willow. I’m glad that she’s finally coming to terms with Xander just being her best friend. And, of course, we have the introduction of Oz, so it’s not long now until she finally gets a man of her own. And how adorable did Allison look in that suit? If she would have worn the rocker outfit from Halloween now, I’d say she would have caught Xander’s eye, as well as many more red-blooded males.

/ After last week’s cracking episode, ‘Inca Mummy Girl’ is a fairly disposable, although moderately entertaining piece of television. Season 2 has its fair share of clunkers, and I believe another one is on the way. Having said that, this is completely watchable, it’s just a little too standard for this budding show, which is still trying to find its groove.moreless

Worst Buffy Episode of All Time!!!!!!!

By silvermoore, May 06, 2009

I love Buffy the Vampire Slayer and consider it to be the best TV show of all time, but every series has it's not-so-stellar episodes, and I've decided this one has to be the worst episode of all. The whole premise is silly in a bad way and it takes far too long for Buffy to catch on to her exchange student's mummy ways. I really don't think she's that slow. Plus, all the Incan mythology/artifacts are so hokey. The only good thing about this episode is Willow looking so adorable in her awkward Eskimo outfit and Oz noticing her for the first time. I'm glad I watched it for that moment, but otherwise, it was pretty lame.moreless

Season 2, Episode 4.

By Wanted23, Apr 16, 2009

It seems that Episode 4 of every season so far has seen Xander having some deadly trouble with girls. Like in Season 1, Episode 4, Xander had a crush on a teacher who turned out to be a preying mantis. Now, a mummy is after him. Plus, he's always getting in trouble on field trips. Like in 1.06, the hyena possessed Xander at the zoo. Otherwise, not an entirely bad episode. It just gets a little repetitive that one of them is always in trouble. I also find it repetitive that every time one of them is about to be killed, someone (usually Buffy) always miraculously comes to the rescue. They have some impeccable timing. Cool episode.moreless

A Mummy for Xander.

By addict666, Jul 31, 2008

I love how Xander has a emerging love of non-human women and I think him and the Mummy are really cute together in this episode even though she looks like she's 30. This episode marks the beginning of both Johnathan and Oz who are such great characters who really evolve. I love how Oz interacts with Devon and Cordelia in this episode and when he asks who the Eskimo is it is really cute. And the introduction of his "who's that girl" is great. Then when he goes up to talk to her she has to go off to save the world. I also really like the parallel between the Mummy having to sacrifice herself for her people and the sacrifices that are required of Buffy.moreless

Load More Reviews