Episode Reviews (23)

Great

By arkanitoo, Jul 09, 2012

This is an interesting little episode. The cinematography really won me over here as the events are shot in a very creepy style. There's a lot of atmosphere, and as everyone knows by now, atmosphere ranks high on 'good' list. That still doesn't change the fact that nothing important happens and that it's very weak compared to the potent "Passion" (2x17). Nonetheless, like "Inca Mummy Girl" (2x04), I find this episode decent enough.

Like I mentioned before, I really love the camera work in this episode. It succeeds in displaying the hospital as an ugly and creepy place. Everything begins in the cemetary where Buffy passes out do to the flu. The Scoobies rush her into the hospital where chaos and uncertainty run wild. The gang is really scared that Buffy's not going to be okay. Giles and Joyce quickly make it to the hospital where Buffy is stabilized but still somewhat delusional. I've got to admit, it's scary seeing Buffy delirious like this and it reminds me of the frightening "Normal Again" (6x17). Also a nice little touch is how Cordelia "looks away" in anguish when they give Buffy a sedative shot.

Also worth noting is Angelus' creepy visit to the hospital. Xander stands up to him when Angelus says, "Buffy's White Knight. You still love her. It must just eat you up that I got there first." Xander replies with the perfect comeback, "You're gonna die. And I'm gonna be there." Both come true in "Becoming Pt. 2" (2x22), although Xander doesn't get to see Buffy actually kill him.

Later on the group is taking Buffy for a stroll in her wheelchair outside the hospital. During this moment, both Buffy and Spike are in wheelchairs. How funny is that? Look at where these two, who were fighting to the death back in "School Hard" (2x03), are now: crippled and helpless. Anyway, I love the reference to Ingmar Bergman's The Seventh Seal in the same scene. Xander says, "Ooo, if he asks you to play chess, don't even do it. The guy's, like, a whiz."

There's a couple other positives aspects to mention. One is that I'm really happy the doctor isn't the bad guy. Things stay somewhat unpredictable in every episode of this show. Another thing I liked is the final scene where Willow, Xander, and Buffy are all snuggled up on top of Buffy's bed eating snacks and watching TV. Very homely and cute.

There's only a few things I didn't care for. Even though the episode's got a creepy tone, the pace is a bit too slow in some places. The one huge complaint I have, though, is Buffy's flashbacks of her cousin's death. As soon as we find out her cousin was killed by the same demon, the said cousin then turns into a plot contrivance just there to make us more sympathetic to Buffy. This connection was completely unnecessary. Also, the young girl version of Buffy looks nothing like Buffy. So while this isn't a particularly complex or standout episode, it works well as a slow, creepy, and decent little outing with the Scoobies.

moreless

Curing illness Slayer style

By joxerlives, Jan 19, 2012

Killed by death

The Good;

Very creepily shot and the central concept is just terrifying. Love the scoobs at the end and the kids drawing. Cordy's funny scene with the security guard, Cordy 'helping' Giles with research. Best of all though is Xander's Dirty Harry style confrontation with Angelus.

The Bad;

Not much

Best line;

Angelus; If I chose to walk in there do you think for one moment you could stop me?

Xander; Maybe I couldn't. Maybe those orderlies couldn't. Or that security guard. Or those cops. But I'm kinda curious to find out..." (the coolest Xander moment ever!)

Wheldon cliches;

Knocked out; yep, Buffy

Questions and observations;

Willie Garson is great as the security guard, he also plays Carrie's friend Stanford in Sex and the City (which SMG guest stars in). Love Cordy's high-heels and miniskirt. Buffy passes out. Willow's frog fear re-occurs. You wonder if Buffy had taken the concentrated flu virus would it have killed her, she's pretty tough? Or once again is Buffy saved by her friends and family where any other Slayer would have died. Slayer healing again.

Obvious similarity to Nightmare on Elm Street although I also think the demon rather resembles Kid Rock? (anyone else read the fanfic where Freddy Kreuger kills Anya and Buffy only to wake up strapped to the bed in a mental hospital with Buffy as his nurse?)

The first alternate Buffy played by Mimi Paley. She's ok but not as good as the little girl we'll see in season 5. Buffy's had a cousin called Celia, Aunt Arlene's daughter? Even as a kid Buffy played at being a superhero and attracted the supernatural. Again, isn't Joyce a bit suspicious about Giles' turning up at Buffy's bedside? Love the bit about the Scoobs playing doctor (anyone else share Cordy's sceptisim about Buffy's denials?).

10/10 up to the standard of late Buffy season 2 and you can't give much higher praise than that

moreless

By TrueTvWatcher, Oct 14, 2010

Killed by Death was another great episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I enjoyed watching this episode though at times it seemed a bit too slow. This is not one of my favorite episodes and I'd go as far as to say you don't really need to watch it to continue in the series. However it is still entertaining and has a decent story. I thought the whole premise was good, and reminded me a little of Jeepers Creepers. I think there were some minor character developments in this episode, however not majorly essential to the overall feel and form of the show.moreless

freaky

By hawkinsgal, Sep 21, 2010

i'd say this is one of the scariest buffy episodes because the demon is just so god damn scary! they really made him horrific and the fact that only kids could see him as well was just brilliant and buffy even managed to fight it whilst she was sick so that was just plain awesome. yeah i loved this episode but it was kinda sad that some of the kids in it died before buffy came because they couldn't defend themselves :( yes that was really sad. I am just trying to fill up space in this review now,haha so i shall keep talking. woo woo woo woo woomoreless

A big step back after "Passion".

By ticktock24, Sep 21, 2010

Whereas the previous episode was a milestone for the series with an extremely daring move in the seasonal narrative, this one feels out of place. It is reminiscent of earlier "Buffy" episodes, back when they weren't quite sure what this series would be about. Since there are still four episodes left this season, perhaps these episodes serve to pad the season so they could have Buffy confront Angelus in the finale as would be dramatically appropriate.

Considering what happened, it would make sense for Buffy to feel responsible and helpless over what happened to Jenny. So they explore that by detailing Buffy's hospital fear after helplessly watching her cousin die when she was younger. Apparently Buffy had no problem empowering herself long before she was called, but that impotence when faced with the loss of someone close has remained too.

When children start to die at an alarming rate, Buffy puts the pieces together as a tangible foe, whereas her friends believe she's doing so to deal with her feelings after Jenny's death. She isn't comfortable in situations where she doesn't have control. Ultimately to confirm her beliefs that there is something beatable diminishes the impact of her character's story. Although they slipped into this throughout the series, they would get better at handling the situation.

There are three separate threads to this episode: the past with Buffy and her cousin, der Kinderstod and Buffy's feelings of helplessness. Ultimately they don't come together, even if it's clear what they were trying for when they made this episode. Some things are glaringly tacked on, like Willie Garson's security guard character who had some admiration for the controversial doctor (luckily the actor would have more to work with as Carrie's gay best friend on "Sex and the City"). Another episode mourning Jenny might've been a better call.

Making Buffy sick is a possible solution, but the way they go about it is too ridiculous to swallow. How exactly would Willow know the vial in Dr. Backer's cabinet would be poisonous in its pure form and would have to be diluted, not to mention how much water she would need to dilute it properly? By taking the point of Buffy making herself weak so she can confront her weakness down this avenue, it diminishes the point they were trying to make.

There are some more glaring plot holes as well. For a doctor to go missing with a bunch of children dying, wouldn't it make sense for someone to connect the two and surmise they are related? Kinderstod's murder of Dr. Backer isn't clear either: instead of keeping a low profile, going after a healthy doctor is going to raise eyebrows, even if the demon can't be seen from a healthy person's perspective. Also, why isn't security airtight?

The most satisfying point of the episode is Xander playing Buffy's "white knight" when Angelus tries to mockingly leave some flowers for her. While Xander is a character frequently bogged down by his own insecurities, he'll still able to pull through with moments like these. Standing up to one of the greatest monsters of all time, not to mention one who is going for the emotional jugular, is a major victory.

His defense and allegiance to Buffy continues to strain his relationship with Cordelia. The fact that they can never have a happy romantic relationship because of Xander's attachment to Buffy becomes increasingly clear. While they made up after Xander's love spell debacle, it was hardly a smooth reunion. She was flattered that he went to such lengths!

Another brief moment is Joyce's words of consolation to Giles. Considering his death wish at the end of the last episode, it's unfortunate not enough was done in this episode. It does add a little to the connection between Joyce and Giles that has been brewing this season.

Overall, this episode was completely unnecessary, throwing the series back a few steps after the landmark "Passion" episode. Things don't add up when they should. It's an unfortunate place to put such an episode as things with Angelus were driven to new heights (or lows), but perhaps this episode is another example of them filling out the 22-episode order.moreless

Season 2, Episode 18.

By Wanted23, Apr 19, 2009

Buffy is admitted into the hospital with the flu. There, a boy named Ryan informs her that Death himself tries to kill the child patients every night.

I haven't seen this episode in a while, but I liked it when I did. I enjoyed rewatching it a lot. I'm a little confused by Angel. Does he like Buffy, or is he just messing with her? I kinda like it. Anyway, I liked the whole Death thing, and how Buffy drugged herself or something so she can see the monster. I like how she was able to kill him by simply snapping his neck. That was probably the simplest kill in the whole series. Good episode.moreless

Buffy gets sick and kind of crazy.

By addict666, Jul 31, 2008

This episode has some really nice interactions between the characters. I love the Xander and Angel scenes in the hospital when Xander acts as the white knight even as Angel taunts him about how he's been where Xander will never be. The flashbacks of Buffy explains more of her personality and how she feels like it is her responsibility to help people even in her youth. I love Cordelia calls Xander out as well on his protecting Buffy and watching her back, but at the same time brings him the coffee and the donuts which shows that she really can be a good person. It is also a really hilarious moment when Cordelia didn't realize how they were suppose to bring gifts which bring up the question of tack.moreless

Another Brilliant Episode...

By RosAzzo, Jun 11, 2008

Okay, so I don't like Angel anymore at this point, he is such so evil.. I liked him so much better when he was good.

At First we see antoher fight between Buffy and Angel. This time he kind of wins as she was sick.

Buffy was sent to the hospital as she was sick. Has Buffy got some kind of powers? I mean that she heals very fast or something. It's always nice to see Buffy's friends to be there for her no matter what. They just except her the way she is without any questions asked.

Buffy was brilliant in this episode as she saved those children from that Sickness monster. That Monster is that one that took her cousin away by killing her. Buffy did everything for those kids even get sick again so she can see the monster and save the Children.

I think Angel keeps thinking about Buffy and making bad things happen. I hate seeing like this, I am just hoping that he will change again soon.moreless

It's Kill or Be Der Kinderstooded!

By lenzinoH20, Jan 15, 2008

Killed By Death-When Buffy is admitted to hospital with a raging fever she meets Ryan, a young boy who has the same flu virus and claims that the sick children in the hospital are being persecuted by a monster that may be death himself. An episode with some good scares and scenes but seems oohh, too familiar while you watch out. The "Buffy version" of the Boogyman comes off as just a Freddy Kreuger-rip off. There is nothing about Der Kinderstood that we haven't seen and her is hardly scene throughout the episode to make him a memorable villian.

Despite that, there are some great scenes in this episode that make this episode very watchable. I loved Xander standing up to Angelus when he came to the hospital, then there's Cordelia's hilarious scene as she flirts with a security gaurd. Also, there are some disturbing scenes where Der Kinderstood is invisible and kills the doctor. The child actos in the episode, especially the one playing Ryan, are all convincing. The scene where they are all attacked by Der Knderstood is intense as the fear they convey seems surreal. But there are elements to the story that's just weak, like Buffy losing her cousin Celia is pointless to the storyline. I mean the young actresses are just annoying. At least, Cordelia got a chance to shine and find out who the demon is. All and All, an enjoyable episode if you just ignore the main plot.moreless

Scary!

By heart_sark, Apr 22, 2007

This is one of the first episodes where I thought Buffy was kind of a horror show. I thought the monster was one of the best and it was interesting to see Buffy being physically weak. It also proves Angelus has no feeling of love whatsoever of Buffy yet is obviously interested in her. It was good for showing the relationship they had and reiterating everything before the season finale. Angel had no soul for 9 episodes and it never got boring; especially because of stand alone episodes like this one.moreless

Load More Reviews