Episode Reviews (31)

Great

By arkanitoo, Jul 09, 2012

This episode has two strikingly large problems, one being the fact that Ford is an extremely boring character until the very end of the episode, and two being that there are some pacing problems. As I was watching this again I was thinking that it wasn't going to score very high, but then the fantastic foreshadowing and slowly building character development began to win me over. The end, of course, is also fantastic.

The episode begins at night as we see Drusilla, in her creepy white dress, approach a little boy waiting for his mom to pick him up (his mom must be really late). Angel arrives in a knick of time to spare the kid's life and have a little chat with Drusilla. This conversation is actually one of the highlights of the first half of this season. A truck full of foreshadowing is unleashed in the dialog between these two (which is stated below). This is the kind of stuff I eat up. Buffy comes in on the end of the meeting and sees Drusilla close to Angel then runs off looking hurt because she makes dumb assumptions about what was going on. This is one thing I don't like about Buffy's character consistently through the earlier seasons. She always overreacts to things she sees without knowing the context of the situation or the facts.

Anyway, at school the following day Buffy and Willow are amusingly passing notes in class discussing what Buffy saw. Buffy seems to have a cooler head about the situation now. Then Ford arrives out of nowhere and is introduced as a character we know isn't going to be on the show after this episode. I'm glad in one respect, because I really don't like Ford.

Ford being thrown into the group dynamic does create some interesting interaction. Angel lies to Buffy about his whereabouts which in turn causes her to give him the cold shoulder. That makes her eager to leave The Bronze with Ford because of all the romantic tension directed at Buffy by Angel, Xander, and Ford. All of this is too much for Buffy so she does end up leaving the building. I can't say I blame any of the guys for having the hots for Buffy.

There's a few extremely powerful scenes towards the end that really make up for the lackluster first half. One involves finally getting some hard facts about Angel's past. We discover that he killed all of Drusilla's loved ones and then mentally tortured her, all before turning her into a vampire. This naturally creeps Buffy out a bit, even though she wanted to hear it.

Another fantastic scene is when Ford reveals his cancer problem to Buffy. She reacts perfectly to this news, "You have a choice. You don't have a good choice, but you have a choice! You're opting for mass murder here, and nothing you say is gonna make that okay!" I also respect the writers for having a character who sticks to his guns and doesn't give into the "good guy emotionally moving speech." Ford decided not to help Buffy, even after she desparately tries to convince him otherwise.

All of this leads to the moving final scene where Buffy matter-of-factly kills Ford as a vampire and then asks Giles if life gets any easier or any less confusing (see final quote below). The dialog between these two really causes some thought. As you grow up things become more complicated. It's not as clear who's your ally and who's your enemy anymore. There certainly isn't lacking interesting discussion here. So while I don't particularly love this episode, I must admit that it has some truly golden scenes and a lot of beautiful foreshadowing.moreless

First loves

By joxerlives, Jan 18, 2012

Lie to Me;

The Good;

The central story is very strong and it makes great fun of all the vampfans out there (Twilight lovers I'm talking to you ). The scene with Dru and the kid in the playground is scary as hell . First appearance of Chantrelle/Lily/Anne and she's great. Angel in the vamp club is hilarious. Ingenious the way Buffy defeats Spike and co, once again you see that this girl has brains and guile and not just looks and brawn. Adore the Angel/Will scene, her hiding her undies and telling him she's not allowed boys in her room. Willow finally realising what the Divinyls song 'I touch myself' is really about (you know if that had been sung by a guy they'd have never played it on the radio). Willow still in her 'startled virgin' phase which they play for laughs and will eventually be taken over by Dawn as Will grows more and more worldly. The Divinyls also provide music for the Buffy movie. Lovely scene between Giles and Buffy at the end.

The Bad;

Not much, strong ep

Best line;

Giles; I believe that's called 'Growing up'

Buffy; Then I'd like to stop now, ok?

but also

Willow (about Angel) "Ours is a forbidden love"

Xander (after Chantrelle describes vamps as 'the lonely ones') "Actually we call them the nasty, pointy, bitey ones"

and Giles' wonderful speech at the end.

Questions and observations;

Cordy identifies with Marie-Antoinette. One day she too will be a Queen with people having their heads cut off. Ford likes Jack Palance as Dracula which is also the version Angel recommends (you wonder did he ever meet the real thing? He was certainly in Romania) Don't bother looking for Ford in the Buffy movie, I assure you he's not even mentioned. Jason Bher (Ford) will work with SMG again in The Grudge. We get the story of Angelus and Drusilla for the first time, explaining why Angel was reluctant to talk it over with the Scoobies.

Ford is SUCH a scumbag. Ok, you're dying but that doesn't mean you kill dozens of other people to enable you to 'live'. His scheme also seems unecessarily elaborate, why not just catch a vamp, chain it up in the open and tell it either to sire you and you'll release it or it'll be dead by sun-up?

Buffy entered a beauty contest at Hemery (check out 'I know what you did last summer' for SMG in a swimsuit pageant). Giles and Jenny have their second date at a monster truck rally which I think would have been a great episode in itself. Spike keeps his word and sires Ford, as with his love of Dru he seems a very atypical vampire.

Great stuff 8/10

moreless

By TrueTvWatcher, Oct 12, 2010

Lie to Me was a good episode of Buffy The Vampire Slayer's second season. This episode introduced us to an old friend of Buffy's from LA. He was slick and worked his way into the group in no time. It was funny to watch how Willow and Zander reacted to this outside invader. I thought that the story itself was interesting. This guy betraying his old friend Buffy in order to become a Vampire because he terminally ill. This touches on some delicate subject matter, and there are moral dilemas presented. The characters play their parts well and I really enjoyed the ending conversation between Buffy and Giles.moreless

One of the first great episodes. Lots of depth and a couple surprises.

By monte1975, May 04, 2010

One of the first great episodes. Lots of depth and a couple surprises. Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Reviewmoreless

People wanting to become vampires

By Thestorysofar, May 10, 2009

So an old buddy of Buffy shows up in town and starts hanging out and getting into the spirit of Sunnydale by killing Vampires.

Well not really. He let the vampire go and told Buffy he killed it. Why? So he can chat to the vampires and make them a deal to get Buffy. Nice one. hence the title of the episode.

Who wouldn't want to become a vampire. except when there is a Slayer around to put a stake through your heart.

So the friend sets up a trap and locks everyone in a room and the vampires come and Buffy kicks there dusty demons and the friend gets his wish after telling Buffy he has a brain tumor. but Buffy puts him down in vampire form. SO thats what you get for lieing to Buffy. Good episode well thought out and plot.moreless

Season 2, Episode 7.

By Wanted23, Apr 16, 2009

Buffy's old friend from L.A. comes to visit. However, he knows that she is the Slayer. Buffy catches Angel with Drusilla and suspects that he is dating her.

Ford is so sexy! I would be torn between him and Angel, but Angel is sexier. Both of them should have been shirtless in this episode. I liked when Ford caught Buffy slaying a vampire, though. That was pretty cool. Xander needs to grow up whenever Buffy is in the presence of a male, because he is just getting extremely annoying. I liked that Angel and Willow had a scene together. That was awesome. Definitely a good episode. :)moreless

Buffy's friend from LA, Ford comes to visit, but he's not everything he seems to be.

By KiwiGirl89, Aug 21, 2008

There are a couple of moments that I really like in this episode that make it stand out for me.

The first two are drama intense kind of moments. Ford's whole speech to Buffy about why he was willing to sacrifice her, as well as the other Believers, I found to be quite emotional. That speech, the way that Jason Behr delivered it, and especially the way that Buffy reacted to it, made me feel sorry for Ford, as I believe was the intention. I'm not saying that I agreed with his decision, but in that moment I could sort of understand why he was willing to do what he was. I also loved the moment between Giles and Buffy at the end, when she asks him to lie to her about what life really is about. It just summed up the episode, to an extent, the show- that life really isn't easy, and often it seems to just get harder and harder. I mean, what could be harder than finding out one of your oldest friends has a brain tumour and is willing to have innocent people killed, including yourself, in order to stay young? Pretty tough stuff to deal with.

I also really loved the scene with Willow and Angel when he asks her to dig up information on Ford. It was this comical scene, but also a sort of sweet one between them. And we get to see just how much of an impact that Buffy has made on Angel's life- so much that he feels the need to check up on her mates because he's jealous and wanting to look out for her.moreless

Ah vampire lovers.

By addict666, Jul 31, 2008

It's Jason Behr!!! I love him as an actor and he is really good in this episode as Buffy's old friend who comes to visit and to kill her, but what are old friends for? His reaction to his death is realistic and at the same time you want to feel bad for him, he has taken his plans way too far and has lost sight of what's right and wrong which is something that people are constantly faced with. I also like how Angel is given more interaction with the other characters in this episode because normally he only deals with Buffy and it was nice to see him work with Willow and Xander. Then at the end when Buffy asks Giles to lie to her which shows how she knows she has to face what is happening but still wants to revert to the ignorance bliss that comes with youth, but she knows it isn't true, which is proved by the actions of Ford in this episode. And Anne is introduced who becomes a good character later in episodes and then on Angel.moreless

It's terribly simple. The good guys are always stalwart and true, the bad guys are easily distinguished by their pointy horns or black hats, and, uh, we always defeat them and save the day. No one ever dies, and everybody lives happily ever after.

By tvloverduh, Apr 02, 2008

The very qutoable and fun episode of Buffy "Lie To Me" shows how solid this show can really be. No more monster of the weeks, this one is very unique and diffrent. Ford an old friend of Buffy (who is unlikeable even before he is revelaed to be evil) comes to visit the Buf in Sunnydale. But what is so cool about this episode is the ending when the vampires lock all those worshippers incluidng Anne (or whatever her name was before). It was a very interesting episode and sets the Spike/Buffy tension even higher. Also Dru got to show off how insane she really is... which is a lot by the way!moreless

the truth really hurts.

By unexpressedrage, Feb 06, 2008

a surprise visit from a friend left buffy stunned especially when he told her he was staying for good. furthermore, he seemed to know about buffy being the slayer.in fact, he seemed to know more about her world. as it turned out, ford had a plan to use buffy for his dream of becoming an immortal, as a vampire. he would trade the slayer to the vampires in exchange for turning him into one of them. buffy tried to reason w/ him but he wouldn't listen and eventually lost his life. as twisted as it is, i can understand why ford would do such a thing. he just fears for his life coz of an inflicting disease and he didn't want to suffer anymore and by becoming a vampire, it'll all go away. the conversations in the end w/ buffy & giles is one among my favorite lines in this series.moreless

Load More Reviews