Episode Reviews (29)

Good
7.9

I have a lot of mixed feelings over this episode.

By tarafan2, Jun 12, 2013

The main plot involving the frat boys is extremely dumb and boring, but everything else is pretty relevant and interesting. For each really dumb moment there seems to be a great moment to make up for it. For example, the scene where the moronic frat boys are dressing Xander up is made up for by the fabulous piece of character development from Willow when she bursts out in anger at Giles and Angel. It's basically a roller coaster continuously switching between great and terrible.

I suppose I'll begin with what went right. The first scene is a great moment for Willow, Xander, and Buffy. It's so fun and cute to see the three of them all snuggled up together trying to understand what the heck is going on in this foreign music video they are watching. Another interesting topic brought up early is Buffy's reaction to killing vampires changing as a result of having "fuzzy feelings" for one. It's a shame that there's no follow up and direct conversation about this issue after it is mentioned here. Anyway, this scene ends with Buffy putting on her pout face in the hopes of making Giles soften up his stance on her social life, which is also quite cute.

This brings me to the great scene in the graveyard where Angel tries to shut down Buffy's social advances. Angel basically 'warns' Buffy that this relationship is going to be extremely unusual and will undoubtedly get out of control. Buffy thinks she knows what she's getting into, but she really doesn't. Willow is the one, in a great scene later on, who convinces Angel to loosen up a bit, but in retrospect I'm not so sure this was a good idea. Angel seems to be the only one aware that his relationship with Buffy can only end in sorrow, but his attraction to Buffy and the pushing from her friends convince him to move forward with the relationship.

Another great scene later on is when Willow has an unrestrained outburst on Giles and Angel about their attitude towards Buffy. Willow lays it on them saying, "you never let her do anything except work and patrol" to Giles and "you don't have time for a cup of coffee!?" to Angel, among other things. This is another step in Willow's development as a more confident and strong individual.

Unfortunately, the main plot is the root problem of this episode. Even from the early scene where the girl tries to run away from the frat boys in robes you can tell this isn't going to be a remotely interesting plot. The early suspicions are quickly proven true when we discover that those frat boys worship a some kind of reptile demon. I don't know why writers think a plot like this can ever surpass mediocrity. It doesn't matter how well written an episode with a plot like this is, the idea is just too bad for it to work.

Anyway, all the strict lectures from Giles along with Angel pushing away her advances are contributing factors in persuading Buffy to accompany Cordelia to this college frat party she knows she won't have a good time at, even though she claims otherwise. This leads to some good acting by SMG when she repeatedly nearly downs an alcoholic drink, then finally does. We soon find out that she was predictably drugged, but instead of being raped she's taken down to the basement to be fed as a sacrifice to the reptile demon. She of course breaks free which leads to a boring action climax where the group comes in to help and Buffy stabs the demon's tail. Yawn.

So there's a lot of really good character development and dialog mixed in with a really bad plot and a boring final action sequence. I must say, though, that the character stuff tends to outweigh bad plots. So while this isn't a great episode, there is a lot of good stuff in here to make it a decent one.moreless

By arkanitoo, Jul 09, 2012

I have a lot of mixed feelings over this episode. The main plot involving the frat boys is extremely dumb and boring, but everything else is pretty relevant and interesting. For each really dumb moment there seems to be a great moment to make up for it. For example, the scene where the moronic frat boys are dressing Xander up is made up for by the fabulous piece of character development from Willow when she bursts out in anger at Giles and Angel. It's basically a roller coaster continuously switching between great and terrible.

This brings me to the great scene in the graveyard where Angel tries to shut down Buffy's social advances (second quote below). Angel basically 'warns' Buffy that this relationship is going to be extremely unusual and will undoubtedly get out of control. Buffy thinks she knows what she's getting into, but she really doesn't. Willow is the one, in a great scene later on, who convinces Angel to loosen up a bit, but in retrospect I'm not so sure this was a good idea. Angel seems to be the only one aware that his relationship with Buffy can only end in sorrow, but his attraction to Buffy and the pushing from her friends convince him to move forward with the relationship.

Anyway, all the strict lectures from Giles along with Angel pushing away her advances are contributing factors in persuading Buffy to accompany Cordelia to this college frat party she knows she won't have a good time at, even though she claims otherwise. This leads to some good acting by SMG when she repeatedly nearly downs an alcoholic drink, then finally does. We soon find out that she was predictably drugged, but instead of being raped she's taken down to the basement to be fed as a sacrifice to the reptile demon. She of course breaks free (though she should have put in an effort to break free sooner) which leads to a boring action climax where the group comes in to help and Buffy stabs the demon's tail. Yawn.

moreless

Damsels in distress

By joxerlives, Jan 15, 2012

Reptile Boy;

The Good;

Buffy slumping her head onto the table. Willow's rant at Giles and Angel. Cordy and Buffy getting all hot-to-trot for the party. Queen C's driving skills. Jonathon! On a date with Cordy no less. Buffy pouting (Giles her father figure more than ever)

The Bad;

The endings a bit cheery considering the fate of all those poor girls over the years, just like the disappearing corpses in The Harvest. You utterly cringe at the misogyny of the Frat boys. What exactly do the Sunnydale police make of the demon's body?

Best Line;

Buffy (to Angel)"When you kiss me I want to die"

Questions and observations;

Buffy and Cordy go illicitly to a party with a bunch of older guys, pass out through drinking and end up in chains being menaced by a huge snake. Or what the girls at my old school used to call 'Saturday night'. (Apologies to the writers of Friends). Seriously though I was beginning to think I was seeing sexual subtext where there was none but upon listening to David Greenwalt's DVD commentary it's clear that's exactly what was intended. Xander also tries his hand at cross-dressing.

Another point for bisexual Will, she seems to fancy the frat boys. You wonder if Mayor Wilkins was a member of the fraternity?

An OK ep but not the best, I'll give it 6/10 but that might be a little generous

moreless

Way to go on moral message

By Thestorysofar, Nov 09, 2010

Ok so this episode was ok. Cordelia and Buffy go for the older guys and end up at a Frat Party. Xander goes along being over protective friend of course. Cordelia and Buffy pass out over 1 drink. Some people might say there was drugs in the drink but Buffy could be a light drinker.

They end up chained up in the basement and come face to face with a giant snake monster. Seems abit of long way to go to warn girls of the consequences of drinking and going to wild parties. Because you could end up face to face with a snake monster. And I know the reference to what the snake represents. Anyway, the monster was pretty bad. The Xander saved it a bit. Would of liked to seem him pickup some colledge girls though.moreless

By TrueTvWatcher, Oct 11, 2010

Reptile Boy was yet another amazing episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer's Second Season. This episode showed us more depth into the characters, and their relationships with each other. Buffy and Angel have a dangerous conversation, Willow watches as Zander thinks of her as only a friend, and Cordelia continues to be in the wrong place, at the wrong time, and then act like she had nothing to do with her own situation. There was a funny moment with Giles while he was practacing before Buffy got to the library, and Willow and Zander showed up too. The story of the Fraternity was good, it touches on a scary realities.moreless

Buffy slays the first of many phallic shaped demons...

By MovieMark, Apr 27, 2010

While this may be the weakest episode of season 2, there are several snippets that make this subtle sledgehammer of an episode all worthwhile. Of course, this isn’t dire television. The quips are there, we also get the blossoming romance with Buffy and Angel, and the underrated father/daughter/slayer/watcher relationship with Buffy and Giles; however the main story of the week is reminiscent of an alcohol awareness, safe sex advert.

Praise be to Alyson Hannigan, and, to a lesser extent, David Greenwalt! That scene where Willow rips Angel and Giles a new one was a pure treat to watch. The way Alyson managed to unleash all of this pent up guilt, whilst maintaining such awkward posture and mannerisms, was something to behold and most certainly the highlight of the hour.

Xander’s little frat dance was a close second.

To be fair to Greenwalt, the snappy one-liners were a hoot and he writes Xander so well. _

Angel: Buffy

Buffy: Angel

Xander: Xander

Overall, it’s a little too preachy to be in anyway entertaining. It was an obvious episode that followed a predictable path. The sight of an unconscious Buffy and Cordelia is a shocking one and lingers in the mind, but the rest of the episode boarders on forgettable. Penis demon and all…moreless

Season 2, Episode 5.

By Wanted23, Apr 16, 2009

I liked watching this episode. Buffy has been feeling torn apart and pushed by Giles' rigorous and intense training. Those college dudes were hot! There should have been more shirtless scenes! At least we got to see Xander shirtless, though. Angel is so hot. HE should be shirtless. Anyway, I liked the plot for this episode. I like how one of Buffy's friends is always in immediate danger in every episode. I liked the episode, though. I also liked when Willow lashed out on Giles and Angel. Angel finally asked Buffy out for coffee! This was definitely an awesome episode. :)moreless

Angel: You're sixteen years old. I'm two hundred and forty-one.

Buffy: I've done the math

By addict666, Aug 01, 2008

This episode is quite random, it's not my favorite but it has some good moments in it. Cordelia and Buffy's interactions were pretty funny and the whole drama that unfolds at the frat house is a nice parallel to getting date raped, but just putting in getting sacrificed instead. Xander's impersonation of the frat boy and then a woman is pretty funny as well. The age issue that comes up between Angel and Buffy is good as well because it shows the problems that lead to the destruction of their relationship (in addition to the whole moment of happiness thing). Overall it shows a movement forward to the rest of the season.moreless

Cordelia The Dating Slayer

By tvloverduh, Mar 31, 2008

Cordelia gets a major part in this episode. This is a major day for Buffy. However, as much as there is Cordelia in this episode, it falls short of being good. The plot (likewise last week) was a typical monster-of-the-week plot, delivering nothing new to the table. And it's a very nice table, mind you (the table reffers to Buffy, just so you don't think I'm crazy writing about tables). Xander at the college party was a silly thing to do, but it didn't have much to do with the plot, so it wasn't any thing super. Overall, another great episode, but not quite amazing. AND Buffy almost gets fed to a lizard monster... now you, that's why you don't go to college parties. I don't want any stupid snake things eating me.moreless

Fraternity Fright Night

By lenzinoH20, Jan 14, 2008

Reptile Boy-Giles is pushing Buffy in her Slayer training, her mother's rules are becoming more and more strict, and Angel is growing more over-protective. Buffy is feeling pulled apart. When Cordelia's college crush shows up on campus with a friend who has eyes for Buffy, Cordelia convinces Buffy to come with her to the frat party. But the party soon turns sinister, and Buffy learns the connection between the fraternity and the local girls who have recently gone missing. Xander, Giles, Angel and Willow must crash the party before all Hell breaks loose.

Like it's predecessing episode, "Reptile Boy" suffers from a weak plot with only semi-redeeming scenes or development. Buffy, still trying to work out her feelings with Angel, goes to Cordelia to Frat party and of course, a frat boys turn out to be this evil cult that worships a giant snake demon by feeding it high school girls, I guessing they couldn't think of a more subtle initiation? The Buffy and Angel scenes are the best parts of the episode as both deeply want to be together but Angel pushes her away because he doesn't want to hurt her. Buffy tries to drown her pain by having some fun with Cordelia, but really, a frat party of all places? There are the some really funny scenes here like Cordelia commenting on Buffy's clothes and hair then preparing Buffy to make her look good at the party. Then there's Xander being force to dress like a women and dance at the party while Willow snaps at Giles and Angel for being too hard on Buffy. I just wish the plot played out well, the frat boys are one-note and the ones like Richard (Greg Vaughan) and Tom (Todd Babcock) are mediorce in their roles. Also, the Snake demon, while cool looking, gets wasted in the episode by Buffy killing it too fast, being very pointless. All and All, besides some great Buffy/Angel scenes and funny parts, there's nothing to get excited about in this episode.moreless

Load More Reviews