Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Superb

To Get into?

By anastasia1243, Feb 08, 2014

1st ep (10)

partly living in the Buffyverse for the half of life...

By peyngel, Dec 14, 2013

"Buffy the Vampire Slayer" is brilliant TV-show. and I even think it's my MOST favorite one!!! it's ended like 10 years ago... and now re-watching the whole show I discover, realize and figure out smth new for me -- and I guess I like it even more than when I was a teen!

the show made me laugh so hard and cry with all my heart almost in every episode. it still does. so how can you not admire smth that is so powerful and great? I love "Buffy", I can't stop loving it! believe me, I've tried -- it didn't work. it's the show I was growing up on. and I guess it's smth that you'll carry through all of your life. at least, I hope so, 'coz I don't wanna forget! and I really miss it...

it's hard to say which episode is my fave 'coz there were many great episodes and many special ones (like "Hush", "One More, With Feeling", "Chosen"). it's hard to say which episode I don't like 'coz it's impossible for me to dislike smth from "Buffy". I can't even say who is my fave character 'coz there are so many of them -- well, top 5 is (without any order): Buffy, Spike, Willow, Xander and Anya, I guess... in fact, I love them all, even Clem :) though I can tell that my fave season is 6th -- and the reasons are: I'm a huge fan of Spuffy; I love Willow (especially, the Dark One); there is this most unexpected awful death of Tara; there are such great epis like "Once More, With Feeling", "Tabula Rasa", "Grave"; and I admire the season finale every time I watch it 'coz it is the only time when the destroying of the world is stopped just by expressing human love -- no Slayer, no magick... just friends for life Xander and Willow.

plus, I really wanna mention one of my fave actresses of all times Sarah Michelle Gellar. there wouldn't be "Buffy" we know without her. there wouldn't be 7(!) seasons without her. and who knows... probably we even wouldn't fall in love with the show without her!

so in conclusion, thanks to all cast and crew that let us to admire this fairy tale!moreless

Something Everybody Should Watch

By j-lavieri, Sep 30, 2013

There was no hesitation involved in giving this a perfect score. This show has more depth, character development, foreshadowing, thematic relevance, and emotional resonance than 99% of shows that have ever graced television.

The title and main plot may seem silly to some. "Buffy Summers, a vampire slayer, must handle living a normal school life and supernatural evil doer-fighting life without the two combining too title itself is meant to seem like a B-movie on purpose, which contrasts heavily from the show itself.

Although the first season is hardly as deep or 'brilliant' as the ones that follow (even though I prefer it to the seventh), it does a good job at introducing the characters and the show itself. It's hard not to begin to feel empathy for the characters because the writers do an excellent job at making them seem like real people. The finale was also something special. Aside from its heavy use of standalones, the cheesiness of some of the "teenage" word use and special effects also plague the inaugural season.

The second season (particularly the latter half) has what one could consider the best story arc of the show, and it's finale is one of the best episodes of television ever, that is one of the most emotional ways I've seen a season end.

The third season is my personal favorite, and has, in my opinion, the least flaws and most fluidity of any of the seasons. Almost all 22 episodes are consistently great, with another amazing finale.

The fourth season wasn't as consistent as the third, but had more episodes that constituted as absolutely mind blowing, which created a good balance. It also had to do the difficult task of introducing a new setting and characters.

The fifth season returned to the third season's general consistency and also had a shocking twist and crazy finale. One of its mid-season episodes is one of the most heartbreaking and well-written, directed, and acted of any series.

The sixth season goes into the darkest place the show has seen, with depression being an underlining theme for the entire season. It was the biggest risk the show took, and it payed off excluding a few mid-season episodes.

The seventh season returns to a lighter format for the most part, dealing with more happy standalones, contrasting much from the prior season. I like the season, but it's my least favorite of them all. One supporting character takes a very heavy role, stealing much needed spotlight from the main characters, and then their airtime is further depleted from a large group of underdeveloped girls who in theory were a great idea and worked well in the end, but mediocrely executed. This still, however, was better than most seasons of most tv shows.

Overall, watch this series. The show is mainly character driven, which is its biggest strength. All the characters who hold any importance (even minor) have their own special story arc. No main character is underdeveloped, and there's at least one that you'll fall in love with.

Also, since the show has an ensemble cast, which had, at its lowest, five main characters, and at its highest, nine, there are many episodes focused less on Buffy herself, and more on a specific character. The episodes which do that {ex. The Zeppo (Xander), The Wish (Cordelia), Doppelgangland (Willow), Fool for Love (Spike), Family (Tara), Selfless (Anya), Passion (Jenny), Who Are You (Faith), Phases (Oz)} are usually very strong and unique. The finales themselves also always proved strong, with all seven being absolutely crazy amazing.

If somebody watched this series, it changes the way they watch television. The complex, underlying, realistic themes that are in every episode truly show its brilliance. One will not regret watching this series, as you could tell by the exceptional ratings, everybody who watched it absolutely loves it.moreless

Oh my god

By Mazimoo, Sep 27, 2013

Oh my god this show this show guys oh my god this show omy god this show.

I love it it is my favourate show i love it it's interesting funny it is so amazing i can not even explain it.

This review will briefly sum up the show Buffy the Vampire Slayer, with a few statistical facts.

By Jen700, Aug 28, 2013

Buffy the vampire slayer is undeniably one of the most loved television series there is. It wasn\'t just a programme, it was a programme that people from all ages could truely relate to.

The Actors/Actress\' were amazing.

Sarah Michelle Gellar had the leading role as Buffy Summers, a teenage girl who found out her destine was to protect the world from demons, vampires, and forces of darkness.

Anthony Stewart Head played Rupert Giles, or just \"Giles\". It was his job to assure that the Slayer was safe, and \"watched\" over.

Alyson Hannigan acted Willow Rosenberg, Buffy\'s best friend. She was the typical Geek in her high school days, but as the series progressed we saw, well lets just say, her other side.

Nicholas Brendon has the, what some might say, unfortunate role of Xander Harris. A commical character, with a IQ of barely anything.

David Borenaz played the Vampire with a soul, Angel. He was supposedly buffy\'s \"soulmate\",(no pun intended).

James Masters acted the \"Big bad\" as he liked to put it. A vampire with a reputation of killing slayers, but what stopped him killing Buffy?

Emma Caulfield plays Anya, and ex-vengance demon, who has had her powers taken from her, and now she has to live the life of a human, which she isn\'t too great at.

The Series made an incrediable 144 episodes, all for a duratiion of 42 minutes. There were 7 seasons in total, with roughly 22 episodes a season.

- Although it\'s left our screens, it\'ll never leave our hearts.

moreless

One of the greatest stories ever Told! Joss Whedon is an impeccable writer!

By hanifmuhammad, Aug 02, 2013

Buffy The Vampire Slayer is one of the few things that I watched on my own without anyone reccomending it to me. This series is wonderful simply because it is about so much and it uses nearly every genre in the book to tell its magnificent story. This is a Drama with a lot of humor, Action, Adventure, Dark Romance and Mythology. The Acting and the chemistry between the cast members is near spot on perfect. Sarah Michelle Gellar gives it her all as Buffy Summers and creates a character that will remain a legend for years to come.

The Story Begins with Buffy at age sixteen. She is entering a new school with the hopes of having a normal life. Buffy and her mother Joyce Summers move to Sunnydale California unaware that below Sunnydale High rest A hellmouth. Many Mystical forms of evil rest below Sunnydale and its up to The Slayer to stop them. In every generation one girl is destined to defeat the Vampires, demons and The forces of darkness. She is given enhanced physical strength and visions of the lives of past slayers. I love this set up but it wouldn't really add up to much if the character wasn't interesting. Buffy reactes to this the way that any normal angst ridden teeanger would. She panicks and is quick to Avoid the responsibility. Buffy is an extremely relateable character and she experiences all of the emotions that a normal person would but she is also an Epic Role Model and is able to triumph over all of her weaknesses. Her Friends are just as compelling. Alyson Hannigan as Willow is adorable and perfectly cast as the modest nerd who later on becomes a Fearless Witch. Nicholas Brendon is Great as Xander Harris the everyman of the group. Buffy's mentor is Rubert Giles The Watcher. His job is to teach Buffy about Slaying and to train her in combat. Cordelia Chase is played perfectly by Charisma Carpenter. Cordelia is a popular girl who reminds Buffy of the type of girl that she used to be before she was discovered that she was the slayer. She is a Frenemy of Buffy's throughout her high school life and their rivarly is very entertaining to watch. Another important character that we meet in the first year of Buffy is the Mystery man named Angel. The Buffy and Angel Romance is one of the greatest tragic relationships in Fiction and I would be doing a great disservice to it if I where to spoil it here. I will just say that the real meat of their relationship is in the second season. The first season is more about extablishing the world of Buffy and introduce us to the show's Monster of the week formula. It allows for great fun but season 2 is when The show becomes Epic and Deep. The show quickly evolves into something unique and unlike any show that I have ever seen. All of the seven seasons of Buffy contain something special and larger than life itself. The Series can be hilarious at times and it can also be a tear Jerker. I don't think that I have ever cared so much for characters in a television series as much as I have with this one. Buffy, Willow, Xander, Giles, Cordelia, Angel, Anya, Dawn, Oz, Drusillia, and Faith will own your soul. They are all so three dimensional and engaging. My personal Favorite character of the series is Spike. In my opinion his character shows the most growth and change throughout the course of the series. James Marsters shines in the role and showcases his amazing talent as the infamous vampire. The ending to the series is perfect and brings Buffy's life full circle. Buffy The Vampire Slayer is one of the deepest and one of the best Young Adult stories of all time in my opinion.moreless

great but finale wasnt as i had hoped!

By Affy, Jul 23, 2013

Dont get me wrong the entire series was great but i have a few concerns. First being, Angel shouldnt have left in series 3 he should have stayed throughout the seasons. I think most Buffy fans watched Buffy and end up missing out on Angel. Ive watched Angel only recently, realising that it actually crosses over with Buffy episodes. Not only that the best episode ever is in Angel "I will remember it was amazing! Buffy and Angel fans MUST watch it!

So anyway, the ending was good for Buffy as a slayer but the series wasnt ENTIRELY CLEAR on who she loved more Angel or Spike. There are small hints here and there and i honestly think Angel she loved more but it was left very open ended. she had said no to having a future with Spike but had kinda said no and yes to Angel it was very confusing and ambiguous.

I think the series finale should have focused a bit more on the love triangle after all the series spent most of the time developing on Buffy's love interests. Dont get me wrong the series sealed the deal for Buffy as a slayer but not as her teenage problems that were dwelled on over the years.

Angel and Buffy for one were focused on for the first three years and then continued to do so in parts in Buffy and Angel so why wouldnt Whedon just close that part of the story too in the series.

Bottom line if a show is going to hype up a love story over the entire series should complete it. There are many shows that do this . Gilmore eventually disappoints fans!moreless

Overated, but still good

By davidanthony5, Jun 17, 2013

Having watched all seasons but season 7, I'll give my thoughts.

Buffy could be very good at times. The arc in the later half of season 2, for example, for very strong, and I liked season 6, unlike most people seem to. But it could also be very weak, and for me there were more weak, or average, areas, than good bits. Season 1 ranged from weak to average. Season 2 started off average and ended very strongly, with great character development and story arcs. The introduction of Faith in season 3 was good, but I just didn't buy her motivations for turning evil, and The Mayor just didn't work for me. It was a pretty average season in total. Brownie points for Anya and Wesley. Season 4 had its moments, but again the arc wasn't very strong; Riley was dull, Adam was a terrible villain and the institute or whatever it was called bored me. The show also didn't feel the same without The Library. This series also began the mostly terrible arc of Spike; his falling in love with Buffy was annoying, unbelievable, and poorly done. Season 5 was mostly good. The introduction of Dawn was very intriguing, and Glory was a good character. The arc worked well. It also began Willow's various arcs with regards to her magic and Tara. A strong season. Season 6 was also very strong, with engrossing yet depressing arcs. However, The Trio were mostly terrible and were given too much screentime.

I find the acting and dialogue in this show very overated by the fans. The dialogue was mostly average, with some especially clumsy bits and some good bits, and the acting really was just average (improving from poor near the beginning). Neither the dialgoue nor the acting can compare to a show like Breaking Bad, for example. I want to take the time to point out the standout episodes, Especially The Body, but also Hush and a few from the particularly strong arcs. There were weak episodes, but for something so long that's bound to happen (there hasn't been a weak Breaking Bad episode yet, but it's much shorter). But average acting, dialogue and episodes as a whole means I can't rate this over a 7. There was very good character development at stages, but a lot of character development was unbelievable, sort of negating the strong bits.

Buffy could sometimes be weak, sometimes be average, sometimes be good, and sometimes border on great. However, I struggle to put the series as whole in the 'green' area of the 7s and above; I'll be generous give it a 7/10. It's just not consistently good enough to rate higher; arcs can be very strong or very weak, and the dialogue throughout the series is only average. In my opinion Buffy is highly overrated, especially compared with TV like Breaking Bad, House, Torchwood (excluding series 1 and 4), Doctor Who, Homeland, Life on Mars /AtA, LOST (first few seasons, at least) etc. I knew it wouldn't live up to its hype, and it absolutely didn't; as a series as a whole, it's good, but not good enough to put it close to the shows above (I'm still not sure whether to give it a 7 or 6.5; 7 seems a little too generous and 6.5 a little too harsh).moreless

Still great

By fred2265, Jun 05, 2013

I just rewatched the entire series, and it has aged remarkably well. Still one of the finest shows ever.

Load More Reviews