Episode Reviews (21)

Superb

By arkanitoo, Jul 09, 2012

This episode is a bit better than part one although it unfortunately retains many of that episode's poorer qualities including a slow pace, poor music, and mediocre fight sequences. This time around, though, Spike gets to interact with a lot of the main characters which creates a handful of good moments. Spike is the main thing that elevates this episode up a notch from the previous one.

Alright, we pick up right where the last one left us, with the discovery that Kendra is another Vampire Slayer and not the third Tarakan assassin. The conversation between Buffy and Kendra here is very entertaining and a good launching point for the episode. The scene moves into the library where Giles attempts to sort out what the heck is going on. It is during this scene that we find out how different Buffy and Kendra are, not only in personality but also in fighting methods and lifestyle. Kendra is the responsible "do it by the book" sort while Buffy is obviously the opposite. These differences are the beginning of all kinds of interesting discussing regarding the role of the Slayer, which method is better, and the possibility of Kendra replacing Buffy as 'the' Slayer.

The replacement issue in particular interests me a lot. By the end of this episode we find out that replacemnt won't work, so when Faith shows up in "Faith, Hope, and Trick" (3x03), nobody thinks about Faith replacing Buffy but instead think about Faith assissting her (aside from Joyce who didn't know all the Kendra issues). I also love Buffy's, "I could say, 'Kendra, you slay, I'm going to Disneyland.'" At this point in her life, that's really all Buffy wants. She would love to give up her Slayer powers and duty and just take off to Disneyland for a few months. If she knew what was going to happen soon in "Innocence" (2x14) she might better appreciate how decent things are in Sunnydale right now.

Unfortunately, I don't really like Kendra as a person very much. I like what her what her character does to contrast the uniqueness that Buffy possesses, but I find Kendra cold. Also, her accent is very grating and the acting behind her is mediocre. I do like how she mixes things up, though, and introduces an anomaly into the whole Slayer mythology.

A big development in this episode is the beginning of the Cordelia and Xander relationship. While I think their first kiss was ridiculously over-corned (and intentially too), the idea of the two of them together is oddly fascinating. Here's two people who have sparred from the very beginning of the series and now they have a 'thing' between then. They still mostly hate each other though. This is currently a completely physical attraction as these two have nothing in common. Only through time will they learn to actually care for each other. A few scenes in "Becoming Pt. 2" (2x22) come to mind as evidence of that.

The third Tarakan assassin, Patrice, was a breath of fresh air compared to the other two. Guns are very rarely used on this show, but I've got to admit they make things interesting. Buffy's fight with her in the school was satisfying. I also love Oz's, "I, uh, I'm shot! (takes his hand away briefly and chuckles) Y'know. (laughs) Wow! It's odd! And painful." The final fight scene with the assassins and Spike is handled okay, but it could have been much better in the hands of a better director (maybe he was just off his game that week). There are two things in particular, though, that really anger me. The first is that Patrice stops attacking Kendra so she can say her dumb line about that being her only shirt. The second, which surprised me, is the poor "I'm good!" line from Buffy. It's very rare this show completely gives into cliched dialog.

The episode ends on a high note, though, with Kendra explaining to Buffy that being the Slayer is who she is and not a job. I also found the very final shot, where a newly restored Drusilla picks Spike up out of the rubble of the church and slowly carries him out, very haunting. So when looking back at this two-parter as a whole I can't help but be disappointed. It wasn't bad, but it should be been a whole lot more. This second part is a bit better than the first, but it still has similar problems. Once again, though, there's a lot of great stuff mixed in as well.moreless

Look who's walking?

By joxerlives, Jan 19, 2012

What's my line? pt2

The Good;

Xander and Cordy get together, inevitable really. But Willow and Oz also take their first real steps towards a relationship. The shootout at the careers fair with Jonathon held hostage for the first time. Dru torturing Angel and Angel goading Spike into almost killing him. Great fight, great final twist, the sight of an arisen Dru carrying Spike is awesome.

The Bad;

If you can find some, let me know because I can't

Best line;

Xander; I am the bug man, coo-coo coo chu

Questions and observations;

Although not a Scooby yet Oz is shot, the second in a long line to be so plus Angel chained up. Buffy and Kendra torture Willy the Snitch, the Scoobs really having no problem with it. Cordy's wet dress is pretty daring not to mention Willy offering Buffy and Kendra a nude photoshoot (one day she won't be so dainty) but not half as extreme as the kinkfest which is Dru and Angel (she calls him a 'bad dog' and even more disturbingly 'daddy') . Note that Dru seems to genuinely miss her family (whilst Angelus glibly killed his) implying once again that Dru and Spike are exceptional vamps with remnants of humanity (possibly due to Dru's link to the PTB?). Despite his reputation Spike meanwhile seems to have no taste for torture commenting that he'd rather just see Angel die than the pre-show. Isn't it a bit risky for Dru to have Holy Water lying around? The Dru/Spike/Angel(us) jealousy triangle rears it's ugly if fascinating head. In terms of jealousy we also have Kendra and Buffy competing for Giles' attention like two little girls with their father, it's interesting to contrast that later with Buffy and Dawn (or Faith?) vying for Joyce's affections.

For a long time I thought the police woman assassin was Pat Tallman from Babylon 5 (who's also a stuntwoman) but it's not.

If Kendra was taken from her family to be trained at an early age, why wasn't Buffy? Although you can imagine Joyce and Hank's reaction if Merrick turned up at their door and said "Hey, I need to take your little daughter away to train her to fight the powers of evil" (they'd probably call the police and/or shoot him). Kendra's Watcher is called Sam Zebuto, confirming for the first time that not all Watchers are automatically British despite the Council's full name. Don't the council think Giles' and co need to know of Kendra's existance?

Willow nails her first vamp whilst Cordy helps Xander kill the bug man.

So did Kendra and Buffy dream up this plan between them all along or did Kendra follow Buffy to the church and then call all the Scoobies? Or was the argument at Willy's place all a show and the rest of the Scoobies tailed her and Willy knowing he'd lead them to Spike?

So why is the contract called off? That is lame and it's the only reason the ep gets 8/10 rather than top marks. Reminds me off Star Trek;Voyager where they'd find a way to return to Earth one week only to conveniently forget about it the next

8/10 for THAT ending alone

moreless

By TrueTvWatcher, Oct 13, 2010

What's My Line? (2) was a superb follow up to part one of this story. In this episode we saw the rise and fall of enemies who rise again, and made a new ally, and there was almost a loss for Buffy. I think that the writers did a great job on this story. There was a lot interesting characters including the assassins who were sent to kill Buffy. Zander and Cordelia Kiss, and Kiss again! Cordelia knows how to get out of Dodge when evil is afoot. I think I just made a pun. Cordelia drives a Dodge, haha. This episode was revealing future stories, and gave us more depth to the characters at a great pace.moreless

Season 2, Episode 10.

By Wanted23, Apr 16, 2009

Buffy learns that Kendra is the new vampire slayer and her replacement. Until the matter is solved, Buffy and Kendra must work together. Meanwhile, Angel is under Spike and Drusilla's custody, and Xander and Cordelia are trapped in Buffy's basement after a parasitic man enters the home.

I liked this episode. David Boreanaz (Angel) is so sexy when he's shirtless. Yay, Xander and Cordelia kissed! I loved when he was squirting her with the hose. I loved when the cop brought the guns to school and tried to shoot Buffy, and ended up shooting Oz. Hehe, Xander and bug people. Very entertaining episode.moreless

One of my favorite episodes on the second season

By carolaguilera, Sep 22, 2008

Thats was probably one of my favorite episodes of second season... I so loved when I saw the two slayers... I was all excited and happy!

Seriously, I couldnt stop myself! L. O. V. E. D!

I also loved the fights between them.. I loved to see Buffy fighting! And then when they found out they were both slayers, it was awesome!

I guess this was one of the best written episodes, full of exciting, mysterious and adventure, everything I love about Buffy which is my favorite serie ever!

And when they fought together against Spike and all, was GREAT! I guess in this episode the slayers stole all the scenemoreless

Oz: All monkeys are French. You didn't know that?

By addict666, Aug 01, 2008

This episode concludes the story arc of Spike trying to restore Drusilla to her power. This episode shows everyone really coming together to defeat the enemy and that is really fun to watch. There is also more Oz which is always appreciated on my part. Kendra and Buffy are really good together in this episode and they establish a nice rhythm as they fight vampires together. Angel's near death experience adds a lot of drama as well as they come together to save him. The aftermath of the show down at career day is good as well and all the fighting scenes are really good.moreless

Two Slayers Are Better Than One

By lenzinoH20, Jan 14, 2008

What's My Line, Part 2-Buffy is attacked by the mysterious girl and during the fight learns that her name is Kendra and that she is a Vampire Slayer. Apparently, Buffy's temporary death at the hands of the Master was enough to activate the next Slayer, and she has come to Sunnydale. They call a truce, and Giles convinces them to work together to save Angel from Spike and Drusilla.

An excellent second half of this 2 parter, "...Line" Part 2 sees Buffy trying to get along with her new slayer pal as the gang must stop Spike and Dru when they kidnap Angel. The best parts of the episode is the interaction between Buffy and Kendra. Buffy's jealous attitude is uncalled for but her jokes toward Kendra are undeniably funny like calling her "Pink Ranger" and "She-Giles". Bianca Lawson continues to play the character quite well despite her laugably bad accent (seriously, is she Jamiacian or South African or Eygptian...what?) It's also interesting seeing the 2 slayers' different life styles. I mean compared to Kendra, Buffy has it pretty damn good! It's pretty sad how Kendra had to sacrifice everything from family, friends, to an education for her destiny while Buffy gets a chance to go to school and have somewhat of a social life. The scenes with Drusilla torturing Angel are disturbing as Drusilla taunts him about what how he killed her family and pours holy water on his chest at the same time. Also, I loved how Angel gets into Spike's head about Drusilla's affections toward him. The dynamic between Spike-Drusilla-Angel is always great as there is past we don't much about yet between them and I gald in future episodes we find that out. Then there's Cordelia and Xander's hilarious scene as being trapped in Buffy's basement leads to them passionately kissing cheesy soap opera music in all. I always found they're relationship hilarious as they're the couple you love to see fight. Also, when Xander sprays Cordelia with the water hose is too priceless!

The whole plot with Spike getting Drusilla's strength back from Angel plays out well. I loved how Buffy and Kendra team up against Spike and Patrice the Assassin. We get to see Willow and Giles stake vampires for the first time as well as Xander and Cordelia stomping on the Worm guy. There is also some impressive stunt work with bodies flying around and the way Buffy knocked out Spike with Drusilla in his arms was an inventive finish. The episode ends with little touching scene of Buffy and Kendra saying goodbye but also reassuring each other no they are not alone in the fight anymore. Then shockinglt Spike and Drusilla survived and now Drusilla is at full strength while Spike is weak. All and All, an episode with lots to love with many great characters, acting, fights and surprises.moreless

A major episode that was important in defining the show.

By ticktock24, Jun 22, 2007

With this second part, the pieces are coming together for the second season and in some cases, beyond that to even the final episode. It offers plenty of good character moments, comparing Buffy to the newly tapped chosen one Kendra. These pieces connect to the overall theme of the season.

Kendra represents what the Watcher Council wants a slayer to be; respectful of the rules, on top of her studies and socially isolated. The first two qualities make her a big hit with bookworm Giles, and even arouse some jealousy in Buffy. However, what Buffy lacks in studying “The Slayer Handbook”, she makes up for with experience. She’s already prevented one major catastrophic event (many more will follow) whereas Kendra doesn’t know how to handle a cross bow properly.

Of course, these two slayers with different techniques would clash, especially with regards to the social element. It’s puzzling to Kendra that Buffy would have as many people in the loop regarding her secret, much less call them her friends. Kendra doesn’t even have a last name she has distanced herself so far from other people. This detachment leads her to be awkward when around others (nothing ever came out of the Xander thing), but effective when in a fight.

It isn’t until Kendra steps in and helps Buffy combat the cop assassin that they reach some kind of agreeable coexistence. Ultimately Kendra learns a little about Buffy’s techniques such as channeling her anger towards her fight and being able to think on her feet. Also, Kendra gives Buffy the sense of normalcy she has needed. She isn’t alone in her calling.

It’s unfortunate that they would brush Kendra aside after her introduction, since these two personalities clashing would’ve been exciting to see developed further. Buffy had been looking for a chance to have a normal life, and Kendra provides the perfect exit. It might’ve been interesting to see Buffy try to take a vacation from slaying and let Kendra do the work, but they had other ideas for where this season would go.

Angel’s guilt over siring Drusilla is a major part of the psychological torture aspect of Dru and Spike’s pre-game. He must watch his handiwork, thinking that he will be responsible for her return and more bloodshed. Not to mention tying him up and watching them presumably have kinky sex in front of him seems like a perfect way to traumatize someone before killing them (since murder just isn’t enough for monsters).

While Spike’s allegiance and love to Dru is unquestionable, the feeling isn’t mutual. As Noxon noted in her commentary, Drusilla is attracted to where the action is and it’s with Angel. Angel’s her new toy and she is enjoying him a little too much for Spike, whose jealousy almost causes him to stake Angel and thwart his own plans. This character development is rather good considering how it will play through the rest of the season.

Although the police officer revealed as the third assassin was unexpected, having a cop start shooting in a crowded school wouldn’t be allowed in the post-Columbine/Virginia Tech landscape (as of this writing, only two months have passed since the Virginia Tech tragedy). Despite the fact that “Buffy” is in a fantasy world, there is a fine line for where they can go for student deaths. Generally they preserve the fantasy line by only having them be killed by vampires or the monster of the week rather than one of their own.

The third assassin provides a catalyst for Oz and Willow’s beginning relationship. They decide to go the rhetorical route by having Oz literally take a bullet for Willow. Luckily he’s only grazed, but Willow’s appreciative all the same. Unlike other guys in her life, Oz has shown her a genuine interest in a possible romantic relationship. His complements aren’t something she isn’t used to either. On the other end, Cordelia and Xander, once stuck in the basement at the mercy of the bug man, deal with their antagonism with straight lust. This kind of “to the chagrin of the character” attraction is typical of these situations in romantic comedies. The swell of music during both kisses is a bit corny, but that could be a deliberate reference to those types of movies and TV shows.

An odd element is Willie “the Snitch”. Such a character, at least the way he’s portrayed, is more suited for old cop shows (Huggy Bear on “Starsky and Hutch” comes to mind). However, considering hell spawn are generally more dangerous than street criminals, he would be prime fodder for the various demons that set up in Sunnydale. It doesn’t seem like he’d be alive for long considering his loose lips.

One of the better decisions the show made was scraping the original idea of killing Spike in this episode or around this point in time. That reprieve was one that would define the series. The series would’ve been completely different had they followed their original plan. While it is usually good for arc-orientated shows to have a plan of where they are going, flexibility in this case is even better. If something works as well as Spike has, it would be fitting to have more of him.

Thankfully, they delve more into his character than just keep him around to satisfy fans. As the episode ends, the twisted vampire lovers have switched roles, with Drusilla proving to be quite strong, hoisting the ailing Spike out of the ashes of the church. This would only be the beginning for this fascinating character.

This is one of the most pivotal episodes of the series, as the original plan would’ve altered much of what’ll come later. The season is starting to take shape with Drusilla’s recovery, effectively ending the introduction phase of the season (perhaps a bit late than preferred). These episodes work well upon multiple viewing to see how much they set up for future episodes.moreless

The Order of Taraka and the new slayer part 2

By Slayergirlkal, Apr 06, 2007

I loved Kendra! She made this episode completely brilliant. I loved Kendra bonding with Giles about some books and how jealous Buffy was about it. Kendra was even better when realizing that Buffy went to school there and mocking her. Xander talking with Kendra was funny too.

Buffy and Kendra were great when talking about their earlier fight. I loved how Buffy was trying to teach Kendra about emotions. It was great to see them together both slayers but with completely different styles.

Cordelia and Xander were great as well. I loved how they went from "I hate you" and "No I hate you" to making out in Buffy's basement. The sexual tension between them when they were hiding from the bug guy was incredible. I loved how they ran out of the house and Xander had to squirt Cordelia off with the hose because she was covered in worms. I loved the pair when they were doing research in the library too. They were insulting each other too much and it was very humorous. I loved how in the end they were both trying to deny what had happened in Buffy's basement and then they just started kissing again.

Willow and Oz were great here too. I loved how the cop lady turned out to be a member of the Order of Taraka and ended up shooting Oz in the arm. Oz's reaction to being shot was great he was just like "Wow I'm shot." I loved Willow and Oz when they were bonding over animal crackers and Oz going on about the monkey and his monkey pants. Oz and Willow were very cute together.

I loved Spike and Drusilla. It was obvious that there was some trouble the paradise with them. She really is more into Angel than Spike and when Dru was torturing Angel it was obvious. I liked that Drusilla revealed a lot of Angel's past when they were together too.

I loved the fight at the end. I loved what Buffy did to Spike that was awesome.

This was a really incredible episode of Buffy.moreless

Spike has captured Angel. He plans to kill Angel in a ceremony to resotre Drusila's strength.

By ZDonnelly85, Mar 18, 2007

This episode explains why there is a second slayer, Kendra. When Buffy died for about two minutes in the season one finale, a second slayer was immediately activatted, even though she was revived. The battle scene toward the end of the episode is great. Two slayers kicking vampire butt simaltaneously. There are so many cool moves going on that it's kind of hard to keep trach. This is also the episode where Spike is injured. He spends most of the rest of this season in a wheelchair. This episode is definitely exciting and could be considered a series classic.moreless

Load More Reviews