Episode Reviews (19)

Good
7.2

By arkanitoo, Aug 14, 2014

Wow this is a bad episode -- the worst since "I Robot, You Jane" (1x08)! I'm looking at my there's almost nothing there. This is going to be a very short review. The savior of this episode from getting no points at all is Spike, Anya, and Giles. Anya is having unfounded relationship issues with Xander, Spike is simply bored, and Giles turns out to have a singing hobby. The failure of this episode is, well, the fact that the entire plot involves Buffy and Riley having lots and lots of steamy sex. If you love seeing Buffy and Riley having nonstop sex then you may want to look away from this review!

Early on there's a scene between Xander and Anya that is very entertaining. Anya thinks that because her and Xander didn't have sex the previous evening their relationship is ending. After Xander starts defending himself, Anya asks him if there's something wrong with his body. Then Xander, wanting to prove his functionality, says "You want sex? Let's have sex. Right here. Hot, sweaty, big It turns out that as he was saying this a bunch of customers were amusingly standing right outside his ice cream truck.

The highlight of the episode is definitely the resulting interaction between Anya and Spike. These two definitely have a lot in common and enjoy sharing time together. They chat up how much they miss their carnage. Anya says, "Seen a thousand relationships. First there's the love, and sex, and then there's nothing left but the vengeance. That's how it When Xander sees Anya with Spike, he begins to get a bit worried. This is just an amusing little conflict between them that doesn't last through the episode.

I need to point out how much I love how abused fraternity parties get in BtVS. Xander even points out, "A ghost? What's the deal? Is every frat on this campus haunted? And if so, why do people keep coming to these parties, cause it's not the My question is, why do the Scoobies keep going to these parties? They all look horrendously bored every time (as I would be) and nothing good ever comes from going. Anyway, the plot is just overall extremely boring. There's some repressed ghosts of some sorts being fueled by Buffy and Riley's sexual energy. But haven't Buffy and Riley had sex in Riley's room before, more than once in fact? Why are these ghosts manifesting now? Am I missing something? Even if the plot made sense it's still a terrible idea. And that's about it. Sorry this ends so abruptly, but I really don't have anything else to talk about. Terrible episode. :(moreless

Wow this is a bad episode -- the worst since "I Robot, You Jane"!

By tarafan2, Jun 21, 2013

I'm looking at my there's almost nothing there. This is going to be a very short review. The savior of this episode from getting no points at all is Spike, Anya, and Giles. Anya is having unfounded relationship issues with Xander, Spike is simply bored, and Giles turns out to have a singing hobby. The failure of this episode is, well, the fact that the entire plot involves Buffy and Riley having lots and lots of steamy sex. If you love seeing Buffy and Riley having nonstop sex then you may want to look away from this review!

I need to point out how much I love how abused fraternity parties get in BtVS. Xander even points out, "A ghost? What's the deal? Is every frat on this campus haunted? And if so, why do people keep coming to these parties, cause it's not the My question is, why do the Scoobies keep going to these parties? They all look horrendously bored every time and nothing good ever comes from going. Anyway, the plot is just overall extremely boring. There's some repressed ghosts of some sorts being fueled by Buffy and Riley's sexual energy. But haven't Buffy and Riley had sex in Riley's room before, more than once in fact? Why are these ghosts manifesting now? Am I missing something? Even if the plot made sense it's still a terrible idea. And that's about it. Sorry this ends so abruptly, but I really don't have anything else to talk about. Terrible episode. :(moreless

Buffy/Riley sexfest

By joxerlives, Jan 20, 2012

The Good;

Nice that with Buffy and Riley ahem, preoccupied the other Scoobs have a chance to shine for a change.

The Bad;

Vines look a little lame but apart from that all good.

Best line;

Giles "Do you really think they're keeping it up? Oh for a different phrasing"

Women good/men bad;

In this case a female villain, the religious zealot 'carer'

Jeez!;

The drowning scenes are horrible, a very primal human fear.

Kinky dinky;

Basically one big marathon sex session between Buffy and Riley (at least they use protection) plus the house sending sexual energy surging through it's inhabitants. Plus Anya and Xander in the ice-cream van. Anya comments that Xander and she both like his penis. Apparently there's only been 2 nights where Xander and Anya haven't had sex, to paraphrase Buffy 'Xander is quite the machine' Xander gets to kiss the lovely Julie. Xander refers to a big bursting poltergasm.

Calling Captain Subtext;

Anya, Tara and Willow seem remarkably keen on Giles playing his guitar (Willow always had a thing for guitarists) again suggesting bi-Willow and even bi-Tara. Her revelation about her crush must have had Gillow fans going into overtime. Tara has a moment of ***phobia due to the house's influence. Spike and Anya bond over their past evil. Spike seems to want to be heroic when Xander asks for volunteers to rescue Buffy? Willow seems scared of horses although she seems to have gotten over that by the end of season 5. Tara tells Willow she can come 'Riding with me sometime' Ohhhhh matron! Willow asks Buffy if she still loves her despite having spilt 'something purple' on her peasant blouse (the answer is yes). Spike says that love is a terrible thing just as he does in 'Lover's Walk'. 'Dingoes ate my baby' poster visible for the last time.

Scoobies to the ER;

Anya and Xander are pretty cut up by the end but their injuries seem to heal pretty fast, perhaps because they're mystical?

Where's Dawn?

Home with Joyce

Apocalypses; 5,

Wheldon Cliches (with kind permission from Boo)

Scoobies in bondage:

Faith: 1

Joyce: 2

Wes: 1

Kills:

Buffy: 1 demon for Buffy so 79 vamps, 27 demons, 6 monsters, 3 humans, 1 werewolf, 1 spirit warrior & a robot

Giles: 5 vamps, 1 demon

Joyce: 2

Xander: 3

Recurring characters killed: 7

Jesse, Flutie, Jenny, Kendra, Larry, Snyder, Professor Walsh

Total number of scoobies: 6 actually going to reduce this as Spike not officially a Scooby by a long way

Giles, Xander, Willow, Buffy, Anya, Riley,

Xander demon magnet: 5

Preying Mantis Lady, Inca Mummy Girl, Drusilla, VampWillow, Anya (arguably Buffy & Faith with their demon essences?)

Scoobies shot:

Faith:2 ;Xander, Riley

Xander: 2; Faith, Anya

Willow: 1;Oz

Questions and observations;

What the heck does Xander mean when he refers to people going 'all Felicity with their hair'? Anya's humanity is still a work in process despite her having a soul. Once more, Buffy goes christian bashing.

Marks out of 10; 7/10 good ep without being brilliant

_________________

moreless

Season 4, Episode 18.

By Wanted23, Sep 17, 2011

Buffy and Riley's relationship reaches a new level, and they are constantly having sex. However, the constant "action" awakens a dark energy in the Lowell house, and it is up to the Scoobies to save the day without the help of Buffy and Riley.

I didn't really like this episode. I like the episode title and I thought the plot concept was good but the way it played out was bad. But seeing Riley naked was great. :) It wasn't really such a great episode, but I liked seeing Kathryn Joosten. All the people seemed like they had Psychological Disorders. It was a very weird episode. Season 4 is going back to the crappy episodes, which isn't good, especially after a streak of good episodes.moreless

I don't understand what's so bad about this episode; the plot works, the dialogue is great and it has some good acting.

By TwistedConverse, Jan 26, 2011

Where The Wild Things Are is an episode that gets a lot of hate and criticism from most people and it is often regarded as one of the worst episodes of Buffy and I just don't understand why. Nauseating Buffy/Riley scenes aside, it's a great episode.

I liked the story of Lowell House and the manifestations of the rage and oppression from the previous inhabitants. It was a bit weird and not really understandable but I liked it nonetheless. I like the sexual vibes going about and the creepy old lady was an interesting character. I was sort of hoping Giles would punch her seeing as she's so very, very evil but I'm glad something got said to her at least.

The Anya/Spike scenes were brilliant. These two are so funny together and I'm sad they didn't much interaction as they play off each other really well. Emma Caulfield has really eased into the role of Anya and is giving brilliant delivery every episode. I also like the Xander/Anya scenes as I'm a big fan of them and they're so funny together.

I like Willow and Tara getting closer also- they're like my joint favourite couple in the verse (a 4 way tie between them, Buffy/Spike, Angel/Cordelia and Angel/Darla) so any scene of them is gold in my book.

Giles singing was unexpected and creepy. He has a nice voice (weird!) but I found it unsettling (I agree with Xander for once!). I don't know why but Giles is just constant and it's weird when he's not being the grown up. Tony Head should so have a music career though.

The Buffy/Riley scenes were nauseating. Buffy may be very hot (or she is when she's not a stick anyway) but she has no chemistry with Riley. It's so forced and annoying and it's just like AAAH! stop.

Where The Wild Things Are is a great episode that I seem to be alone in liking. I thought it was nice, filler fun and way better that Superbore- sorry I mena Superstar!moreless

By TrueTvWatcher, Oct 24, 2010

Where the Wild Things Are was a great episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. This episode was filled with passion and desire. The story was good, and it was interesting to see how it all originated. This episode was more or less a ghost themed episode, and there were some disturbing circumstances. The origins of the ghosts was a foster house run by a religious old woman with an iron fist of intolerance. It was also interesting to see another side of Giles, and the gang was just as surprised. Willow and Tara are growing closer together too which a fun thing to watch unfold.moreless

What a piece of J-U-N-K!!! Buffy can offer more than this!!!

By hairol_potter, Sep 26, 2010

Where the Wild Things Are is the WORST thing that has ever happened in TV and the WORST episode in this whole galaxy. Even Charmed's Lucky Charmed and Smallville's Ageless had done MUCH better than this. This is the first time I rated an episode 0.1. Seriously. Oh, gosh. Where do I even start? This is a FILLER episode and I'm surprised it got more rating than Beer Bad. 20 minutes of this episode was spent in showing Riley and Buffy sex, UNNEEDED one and so grossful. There was no plot -- there was nothing in this episode. It's an empty shell!! What the hell is this episode trying to tell us? The actors were awful!!! I guess they were frowning when they read the script too. And David Solomon is the director? What the-- what is happening to the world, people? I just have to complain about all the sex................................. YUCK!!!! Riley and Buffy and love does not go in a word!!! They are not a suitable pair. They were a terrible pair. I was jumping out of my seat and clapping my hands when Riley finally left in season five's Into The Woods. I HATE this episode. Who else is with me? Let's all rate this piece-a junk called "episode" 0.1. Urgh!!! Why 6.9? Grrrrr!!! Shoot, I can't even tell you how mad I am now. I hoped I talked some sense into at least some of you.moreless

You get fang, I'll get Horny

By goodridd, Apr 29, 2009

This is probably my least favorite episode of Buffy The Vampire Slayer. It's hard to find enjoyment in 40 minutes of Buffy and Riley getting it on. Luckily, there are other redeeming aspects to the episode. I love haunted house type stuff, so I really enjoyed that aspect of it. It's probably why I also consider "Fear, Itself" to be a better episode than "Halloween".

There were plenty of funny moments, like Xander and Anya in the Ice Cream truck, Anya and Spike in the alley, Xander and Anya at the party, and the Scoobs running into Giles playing "Behind Blue Eyes" at the coffee shop.

I think it really speaks to the quality of the series when my least favorite episode manages to still be good enough to garner a 7.moreless

In this episode of BTVS, Buffy and Riley frequently get it on causing the spirit of an old orphanage to make strange things happen. blah..blah..blah..

By notchosenone, Mar 22, 2009

Obviously, the plot is a little lame. Buffy doesn't do much in this episode-except Riley and leaves the rest of the gang to figure things out. This episode annoyed me greatly, mostly because it was so hard to figure out the plot. I usually just watch this episode for laughs. As much as the plot disappoints we still get to see GILES SINGING and that is one of those series moments for me. After saying all that, I still wouldn't call it "one of the worst" episodes. I don't think it is really that bad. Its fun it watch and is just a little break from some of the more serious (and smarter) episodes from season four.moreless

Where the Bizarrer Things Are

By lenzinoH20, Jul 08, 2008

Where The Wild Things Are-Buffy and Riley's relationship has reached a new level, and they are spending all their time in bed. Their round-the-clock exploration of each other awakens dark energies in Lowell House, and it is up to the Scoobies to save the day.

One of the most bizarre episodes of Buffy as well as the most tedious and gratious, "Where the Wild Things Are" starts off a bit intriguing but just more annoying to watch as you go along. Watching Buffy and Riley become sex addicts for whole hour is vomit-inducing, not to mention the shaky, nauseating cameras that focused on those scenes. The whole sexual induced poltergist in the Frathouse just didn't make sense, of course, the Hellmouth could have caused it, but it's never really explained. Some moments work like the red head cutting her hair, but the whole orgasm wall was just weird. There are some decent scares but they are so few and far in between.

Xander and Anya, were literally the only saving grace in the episode. Having their first fight, it's funny watching them interact through the episode, epsecially at the party. It's also great how they managed to save the day in the end. Despite some nice lines from Xander like "one big poltergasm" and "people going all Felicity with their hair", "Where The Wild Things Are" suffers from an intriguing plot that poorly executed and comes out as a complete mess of an hour. By the way, Giles' mini-performance at the town cafe lounge and the gang finding him there with their shocked reactions was priceless.moreless

Load More Reviews