The Last Waltz

Episode Reviews (19)

Happy Ending, but not the way I wanted it to play out

By Neksmater, Mar 10, 2011

Don't get me wrong this show is awesome and the episode in particular was one of the best in the show, but I'm hung up on the ending in particular, the entire point of the episode and Hank's development was letting Karen move on and he would finally do the same. He even says "Maybe it's time for your old man to finally grow up," yeah it wouldn't have been as happy as it would've been but Hank would have changed more if Karen had stayed with Bill afterwards and it would lead to a great pick up next season where she realizes her mistakes after marrying Bill and then goes back to Hank and Becca but it just felt forced and seemed to come out of nowhere but that is my only complaint in an otherwise awesome episode. Note: the way that Charlie and his wife got back to together in this episode was believable and made me feel fulfilled by the ending of their sexual storyline. Can't wait to start season 2.moreless

Weird one

By FragLimiT41, Oct 30, 2010

I was disappointed by this season finale. Isn't Hank supposed to be the lovable loser who does the right thing but does not get what he deserves? It's been that way all series long and now it's all getting turned around to work out for him the way he wants it to?

Hank was supposed to make a scene on the wedding of his love - he didn't. He was supposed to pay for screwing with Mia - he's not. He was supposed to watch his love marry another man - he did. But in the end she bails and runs away after Hank, the guy she knows she doesn't want to live her life with.

Either the writer wanted to show that there are happy endings but Hank is not the guy to have earned one.

So the end of the episode is either another dream sequence or they split up again at the start of the next season. Hank and Karen will no stay together for long.moreless

Great first season ending. Hank Moody is quite impressive.

By ascaffo, May 24, 2010

Hank Moody shows exactly how much he loves Karen in this episode. The entire season showed us how much Hank wanted Karen back; how he tried to woo her in his own special way. We saw Karen fight him and fight herself regarding her feelings for him. I really thought Hank would try one more time to convince Karen- but instead he does the best thing for her- he lets her go. He totally throws her off base. I think she really wanted him to convince her that it was the wrong thing. Then at the ceremony he tries his best to be gallant and help Mia through an awkward time. Even though Mia is basically ruining Hank's life in her own little way. There is a bit more to this, but I don't want to ruin it. It was a great way to end a great season.moreless

This episode in particular seemed a little forced.

By ziccarda, May 24, 2010

Just finished watching the 1st season of Californication. While I liked many of the episodes, this one seemed a little too forced - almost as if they had to fit a few episodes into one at the very end. The wedding scene, in particular, really proved my feelings to be true. With Mia interrupting the wedding, saying what she said, and then denying what she said, saying it was "fiction," I really thought the writers of the show were creating some fake drama. Really that scene meant nothing, as we're back to square one - Hank's novel is in the hands of Mia, and she can still confess at any time what the two had done. In my mind, there was no need for that scene at the wedding, or the later scene between Hank / Mia where she says "We're even."

Maybe I just hate Mia.moreless

Awsome season finale.

By Skogswald, Apr 12, 2010

Now I'm a bit far back, I was jerking around back when this series started, so I have snapped on it just recently. So, I've just watched the season finale of the first season, and it was just so sweet. The ending gave me sweet vibes all through my body, I'm talking about those really good vibes.

I'm not that 'on spot' critic, so I can't barely place any significant moment that was 9/10 or so, but just overall, the season ending was great. Unsure if whether it's okey to spoil here, but I'm keeping a low profile, just in case.

After having seen the whole season, I must say this is quite a great production. HBO knows their sh-t, as many has so wise said before. I will continue watching second season real soon. Can't barely wait.moreless

Very good season finale!

By Cenina, Aug 09, 2008

It's been a very special episode, with Karen's wedding and Becca first period. How Hank handled the things showed once again how amazing this character is. He didn't run away from his responsabilities as a father and not even during the wedding cerimony. This fact paid him back, because in the end Karen decides to leave her brand new husband and jumps in the car with Hank and their daughter. As Becca said to her father, Hank has a lot of imperfections, but he really has a big and good heart. This episode also leaves many possibilities for the next season, that I'm sure will be as great as this one.moreless

It's the season finale with a couple of surprises.

By SassyMax, Nov 14, 2007

The big day has arrived. That's Karen and Bill's big day. What will Hank do about that? Will he tell Karen how he feels about her, or will he stand back and watch as the woman he loves marries someone else.

In the apartment, Becca tells her dad that "it" happened. She's gotten her first period. So they rush off to the shops to buy her some tampons. But of coarse, with Hank around, nothing is that simple. A fight ensues. And somehow, this show manages to turn the whole thing into a comical scene - it's great, and will have you giggling. You have to appreciate the humour of this show. It's funny.

Becca and Hank arrive at the wedding, everything looks so pretty. And Karen really does look lovely in her wedding dress. It seems the wedding is actually going to happen. Things are going smoothly, until the priest says "speak now or forever hold your peace." We all turn to Hank. But Hank for once, doesn't say anything. But someone ELSE does.

And Karen and Bill get married anyway. Will they have the happily ever after? Speaking of a chance of happily ever after, Charlie and his wife get back together. How cute! Even Becca has a date. It seems that everyone has their happy ever after. All except for Hank.

Mia's father won't let her print the script that "she wrote" for a couple of reasons. But does that mean that Hank will be able to publish his own work?

But that's not the end. There is a surprise waiting for us. As Hank and Becca are driving away, Karen runs up, and gets into the car. And they drive off. There's a definite possibility at the happy ever after for Hank and his family. But if that is the case, what will the second season be about? Only time will tell.

This was a great ending to the first season. Let's hope the next season is as good.moreless

Karen does the unexpected... Why?

By mogendi, Nov 13, 2007

I like a happy ending just as much as the next person but not like this. This is like someone dropping a bucket of cold water on you while you're asleep, it leaves you surprised, confused, angry and then confused again... why did they do that?

I understand Karen having cold feet before the wedding but not after. The only explanation I could think of is that Bill said something REALLY stupid to her that made her change her mind in a flash. Someone said they don't feel sorry for Bill but what about his side? I mean the guy knew he was marrying a free spirit but she's been showing us all along that she's changed, she wants a straight and stable life and all of a sudden she runs off like that. It was obvious from the start that they didn't fit together and that something like this would happen but she's been getting the signs throughout the season. Something like this should have happened earlier in the season or maybe next season, but what the hell it's as good a cliffhanger as any. Maybe Karen just wanted the wedding she thought she would never have with Hank but at the same time live with the man she loves, plus she's got nothing to lose if Hank really wants to get his act together... just a thought :)

I sure hope that there's a second season in the making out there, it would be too cruel to end a show like this and deprive us loyal fans of it. To summarize, great show, weird ending.moreless

Twists and turns all the while giving that warm fuzzy feeling of satisfaction

By stonerose, Nov 07, 2007

Wow, after a fantastic run of 12 episodes season 1 of californication finally ends. This very funny and often heartbreaking show was a suprise hit considering the grey pool of tv that was late august/september. I think duchovny has found something special in the character hank moody. I feel the finale of the season was probably the best episode of the season by far. Would the wedding go to plan? would bills daughter tell of her and hank and would charlie get back with his wife. All pretty much came to a conclusion even though afterway through the episode it became almost heartbreaking to see hank accept his loss of his wife to bill. The ending however was a suprise one, after giving the viewer a satisfying conclusion with everyone becoming settled again. It was then a shock to see karen run and drive away with hank and daughter. My only worry is that since the episode opened with a dream then it might of eneded with hopefully, although it didnt seem that way. I look forward to season 2 and it will be interesting to see how they make it different to season 1. Great show, great season.moreless

Way to go Karen! Season 2 will be very interesting. Hopefully this final episode in Season 1 won't turn out to be a dream sequence.

By nancy4elton, Nov 06, 2007

God, how I adore this show. Absolutely the BEST show on television. The writing is incredible and I really enjoy all the character, except...Becca. Way too precocious and too much of everything, but if I must bear her it's a small price to pay for the overall entertainment value. The pilot episode of the show ended with an Elton John song (Rocket Man, unfortunately sung by someone other than Elton), and to my complete stunned surprise, this last episode featured Elton's High Flying Bird at the wedding reception. Only true fans know this song. Wonderful and innovative.moreless

Load More Reviews