Caprica

Show Reviews (30)

Great

Decent show

By natesjokes, Jul 07, 2013

Great overall story and good acting.

Only problems I had was that the graphics were worst than most video games and the technology was so outdated that it seemed the show was made in the early 2000's while it's supposed to be a futuristic show.

And while not a huge problem, it was a very long season which led to a lot of filler content that made some episodes very slow and boring.

That being said, if you like scifi, then you'll probably like this show as it's definitely entertaining and interesting. It's too bad they didn't make another season but it's still worth watching with just the one season and it tied things up in the end.moreless

Great Explanation of How it All Started

By LizRowley, Nov 14, 2012

This was a great explanation of how Battlestar Galactica got started. Would like to see a second series, though, with the continuation of the lead-up. I disagree with blazer666_uk inthat I think the ONE GOD group represented Christianity, while the only "fanatics" in that group were Clarisse and her nemesis, the leader of the terrorists (NEITHER of which actually represented the ONE GOD beliefs. They simply manipulated them to use as a tool to convince naive young minds to do their dirtywork.) It was stated over and over in the show that the ONE GOD was a loving god. THAT god would NEVER have agreed with Clarisse's tactics (which were ALL for her own good) or her arch rivals (leader of the terrorists - can't remember his name; again - his tactics were also ALL for his own good).

Kind minds are often naive minds, and it's too bad they are so easily led by those using religions to satisfy their own self gratification and greed. If it were otherwise, this world would not have so many terrorists or wars and we'd expend our energies and resources making this planet a better place for all of us to live in .... which is what those in BSGalactica were hoping to do in the end of that show.moreless

Should Of Never Been Cancelled

By blazer666_uk, Sep 10, 2012

Once again a fine series is cancelled due to people missing the point yet again.....

This series was dark nasty and VERY close to the bone. I think it hit too many nerves due to the religious content. In particular the close links to todays world - the one god being the fanatics while the Polytheism worshippers are the norm.

I beleive it is the USA's own issues with religon caused this series to be cancelled. The series started off VERY slow but this has to be expected come on people u need to invest in somthing for it to become worth while. There is a higer level of intelligence required to UNDERSTAND the issues and this just reflects the majority of the audience couldn't grasp the concept. The same happened with SGU and 4400 and Jericho EXACTLY the same.

Just for clarification the STO leader has a ENGLISH accent and not BRITISH - no such thing as a british accent. Again a level of ignorance where people cant be bothered to listen or understand......moreless

Caprica is a sci-fi drama with adolescents and religion based on 12 zodiac tribal planets.

The story was very slow in progression, and had a mid season break, which led to its demise. However, when all are seen back to back, the anticipatio

By RedMatrixx, Apr 19, 2012

Let me start off by saying that I have seen the last six (6) un-aired episodes (in the United States) thanks to Canadian programming.

Caprica started out great. As a prequel, I was interested to know how the cylon story played out prior to the BSG re-imaging. The terrorist plot early in the season arc was good action and drama.

I didn't like that every other episode was boring in how they just introduced more characters and their troubles. These eps didn't answer my origin questions from BSG. But I watched them because I was a fan, and I would stick around to see what happens next.

I was more interested in the virtual world, with the holo-bands, than real life goings-on. I didn't care for the Tauran way of life and how it related to Caprica.

But then it got good again. A key thing happened and things started moving more quickly. But then we had a mid-season break, and lost the momentum. Also, the very next episode was disconnected from the mid-season climax.

These three things lowered the viewership and the powers that be (TPTB) did not renew for a second season, and canceled the show right then and there.

They didn't even let the last 6 episodes play out. They just pulled the plug without warning.

It's too bad, as those last six episodes had the pay off from the building up of the plot.

For this reason I give this show a 9 out of 10.moreless

Caprica, Oh Caprica

By TrueTvWatcher, Jan 31, 2012

Caprica was a perfect prequel series to the Re-imagined Battlestar Galactica and I really enjoyed watching because it added to the context and over all enjoyment of having just watched Battlestar Galactica the whole way through. It was great to learn how the Cylons came to be, and it was interesting how little hints were thrown into this series alluding towards the future outcome. The characters were brilliant as were the actors playing them. The sets both real and CGI were spectacular and really made the series visually stunning. The story lines were well written and fun to watch interweave each other. The ending was surprising and pretty awesome, I only wish the series continued for at least another season. Over all this was Awesome, Entertaining, and Intriguing. I will definitely be watching this again from time to time! As they say this has all happened before and it will all happen again!!!!!!!!!moreless

By danharr, May 17, 2011

It was an okay show certainly deserved at least a second season. The show wasn't Battlestar Galactica but it had the same dark tone and deep analysis of social issues that made that show famous. The show ultimately did it's job by providing the basis for Battlestar Galactica and explaining the divide between human and cylon and monotheist and polytheist. One criticism of the show was the slow pace and the horridly unlikeable characters. Seriously it was odd how bad everyone was they were all conniving and hedonistic. On that note it makes sense who wants to watch the worst people in the world be awful and at a slow pace. The last six episode of the show saved it in my memories if only the whole first season could've been like them the show would've made it. Well it was fun while it lasted and it did fill in some gaps in the Battlestar Galactica mythology so I recommend this show to anyone wanting to go deeper into that great universe.moreless

One mans terrorist is a another mans hero. Caprica attempts to mix scifi with the problems of todays real world. The internet, shifting morality, AI and religion.

By AdrianCremona, May 10, 2011

This is a magnificent follow-up (prequel) to BSG and a brilliant show in its own rights.

I have found myself at the edge of my seat, biting my nails, totally engrossed in the drama. At other times this show has reached inside me and made me love the characters on the screen. Eric Stoltz is remarkably likeable and even, loveable.

I have quickly been drawn into the lives of the Graystones and the Adamas. The wonderful acting, clever scripting, breath taking special effects and twisting plot lines all work to make this great viewing.

Caprica has the same rhythm and feel to it as the first season of BSG. There is love, drama, anger, suspiscion, humour. There is an element to the show which makes you realise they are discussing real issues that face our society today. It also casts light on the very near future and what the world may be like for all of us tomorrow.

The avenue they have chosen to explore with Zoe, the virtual world, and the AI Avatar is ground breaking in its approach. This could easily have become convoluted and misundertood like the 'stones' have in SGU. But unlike SGU, Caprica has not squandered this opportunity. I have enjoyed Caprica immensely, from its risky intro sequence, to the small quiet, vulnerable moments. This is a show for adults, like BSG, and it promises not to dissapoint.moreless

After a promising start becomes bleak, desolate, hopeless.

By logossun, Feb 05, 2011

I had high hopes for the show. The pilot was hard-hitting yet psychological; this was high drama of BSG without the SF, and that was fine by me.

But alas, it didn't last. The promising religious/terrorist angle turned into endless sessions of drug-induced hazes. The promising Tauran/mob storyline never deepened, neither did the virtual world angle (which showed incredible amount of promise).

We were forced to watch episode after episode of Crawling through the main storyline, with the confined cylon/Zoe.

But what in the end simply made me fall away from the series is it never-ending, character-blowing, mind-numbing DESPARITY. There is no ray of sunshine anywhere on the horizon. None. Everything is sad empathy, mad empathy or no empathy; dark plots, dark thoughts and dark worlds. And I simply said to myself: why? I really don't need this downer.

And so Caprica came and went with a multitude of missed opportunities and a need for some picker-uppers.moreless

Poor old Caprica, the much-maligned offspring of Battlestar Galactica.

By co_fragment, Feb 03, 2011

..Spoilers..

It started with a good premise - the birth of the Cylons and the formation of true artificial intelligence. The pilot movie was excellent - it almost did too good of a job, it started with the shock of a terrorist attack and introduced an interesting set of characters through the impacts it had upon them.

It's real problem was where it went from there - the show veered away from what most viewers wanted to see. Pulling the Tauran Mafia, VR World and the STO to the front, pushing the development of the Cylons and humanity's dependence and misuse of them into the background, turned viewers away. Instead of the development of the Cylons we got a drama about religious fanaticism - this was often the weakest link of BSG and was not what people tuned in to see. Added to that, the plots often meandered very slowly. The times it hit on interesting ideas it wouldn't settle and examine them, just flit onto the next one. The other problem was its unending bleakness and almost universally unlikable characters, often making it a chore to watch.

Special mention has to go to the music - Bear Creary's compositions were excellent throughout, but while its melancholic tones fit the series well, it did contribute to the bleakness mentioned earlier.

A lot of the acting was good - this was easily some of the best stuff Eric Stoltz has ever done and good mentions have to go out to Paula Malcolmson and Easi Morales. Nice to see Teryl Rothery playing a mature role and very well it has to be said.

Polly Walker (Clarice) just had to play her usual conniving character, which she's great at but is hardly a stretch for her. While none of the acting was technically bad, the actors lumbered with Lacy Rand, William Adama and Sam Adama couldn't do enough with their poorly written characters to make them anything more than annoying.

Most viewers came in having watched BSG. From that point of view only the Cylons really mattered. We know all these societies are destroyed - Tauron, Gemenon, Caprica, etc - so interplanetary issues - civil wars, space mafia, VR worlds, etc are dwarfed by future events. The STO and their 'one god' beliefs are related naturally, but we already know they are 'right' from this universe's point of view and as they appear to operate with no conscience, they are one dimensional and act 100% evil - the lack of any grey area was a complete shame.

Towards the end of the season we could see the various threads weaving more closely together, giving some characters a hint of redemption, until we got a small but satisfying conclusion to the series. The epilogue showed the writer's intentions of where the characters were to go. Most felt right, although Clarice as a priest and Lacy as the Reverend Mother didn't really make that much sense.

People have discussed Caprica to death, particularly what it did wrong and why it lost its audience, but despite its shortcomings it was often intelligent, dramatic and while it didn't do thrilling as often as it should, when it did, it was great. More sorry to see it go than I would have expected but hopeful Blood and Chrome (if that name stays) will bring bigger, better BSG-related action.moreless

Load More Reviews