Hunt

Episode Reviews (22)

Superb

Sharp and tense

By PattyRodrgu, May 05, 2013

I truly loved who they picked to play Castle's Father! He's still so good looking after all these years.. but I digress.. the characteristics, the banter all played well. Excellent episode!

Castle's Father!

By FGProdigy, Apr 16, 2013

Castle really stepped up his game this episode. He refrained from being the silly Castle because his daughter's life was on the line and even Beckett understood what he was going through. All people in this episode wanted to help Castle by working their hardest including Gates.

In this episode, we get to meet Castle's father who works for the CIA. I'm sure that he'll reappear and play a semi-major role later on. I still can't imagine how smart Castle's father is. He predicted what the kidnapper would try to do and counteracted it. Overall, very good episode and I'm not sugercoating it just because I love Castle. This episode was very good and deserved a 10.moreless

Hunt - Castle

By thefanof, Apr 01, 2013

The second part of the two parter was solid yet again, but I think there is so much more they could have done. I noted the Taken similarities (or near identical premise) but it is still an entertaining episode.

Dramatic and fun at the same time.

The Guardian

By sh811a, Mar 12, 2013

They say the best way to win is to take matters into your own hands. This is a follow up that to me didn't disapoint. The show was giving the espionage arena another shot and this time they actually hit (at least I thought so). Not a whole lot I can say, I really like the fact that Castle was taking matters into his own hands just doing what any good father should do save their kid, yeah I'd do the same if my girlfriend in some sort of trouble.

But anyway like the use of the Paris locale, there was a good use of darkness giving the episode an almost noir feel. The pacing is good, we see Castle just racing the clock one thing just leading to another.

And the suspense was great, I liked that little ransom drop sittuation which had one twist that came out of left field. We discover that they guy helping Castle in the first half of the episode sold out, and at this point Castle was surrounded by guys with guns so you know Castle's in deep crap, and I remember wondering how the heck Castle was going to get out of this or if he even had a plan to counterattack this. Then of course we hear gun shots and see all of the scumbags are dead, but the biggest supprise is who saved him which is his father whom is a spy.

Castle's father has been a mystery for some time but now it's been solved and I'll admit the character doesn't disapoint. James Brolin I thought did a great job as Castle father, I thought he was both cool and sympathtic. I like the back and forth going on between both Castle and him, I like that Castle is a little mixed on his feelings but is forgiving. You really do feel for James Brolin's character (forgot the name sorry) it was strangely touching when we see in a way he's always been with his family

as we see the photos of Alexis and some of Castle at different ages, some facts about their past he knows, but also he tells of this one moment in Castle's childhood when Castle was ten and was in the library looking for the book "Casino Royale", he was the one that helped him find the book. Castle's father really wanted to be involved with his family more but couldn't because in his occupation he has many enimies which ment he had to stay to protect both his country and his family from the scum of the world. I also like how there are certain cominalities between the two, like dry wit but also both are very smart and think outside the box.

I defenantly like the final act which almost reminded me of "Mission Impossible" as we see Castle and his dad take action. We see Castle getting captured in the tunnels and it looks like trouble for both of them and Alexis, but if you ever saw the TV show I mentioned one thing I've learned from that show is to always have a plan within a plan. I liked the fact they actually had gagets to use, one Castle's dad uses is a walkie tackie explosive but my favorate was what Castle uses which is the watch that is some sort of mini cutting touch time bomb, I think I don't know but cool all the same.

The end was sweet relief, Castle and his dad suceed in getting Alexis out and come back to the country but most importantly Alexis also knows about her grandfather. Kate was glad Castle made it back alive I thought that little scene with both of them was touching. But the best thing about the ending to me was the package Castle gets from his father which was the "Casino Royale" book, just seeing that I get the feeling it won't be the last time we'll see Castle's father. Even though they can't see him, he'll always be there.moreless

Ma vue est le contraire...

By elissamillerc, Mar 09, 2013

Unlike a lot of people, I absolutely loved this episode. Normally I see things coming, and though the whole spy thing is a little unbelievable (in terms of a one-night thing inspiring a well trained spy to keep close tabs on the woman and his the childhood photos of Alexis on the wall weren't logical given that that place wouldn't have been his long term living arrangements, and all that was necessary was the picture of her with proof of life, and maybe the kidnappers surveillance photos) we should remember that this IS fiction, and hey, spies do exist, and who says they can't have hearts? If we suspend disbelief there, it was an enjoyable episode. I got really into it, and am really pleased. I think it'll be a while, though, before they bring this heritage up again. It would make for some interesting story lines, as long as they are reeeeally careful with it. Hopefully they go back to the normal writer/cop story lines for a good long while after this before attempting to resurrect the father thing. Summary: I loved this, and will gladly watch it again.moreless

Cliche episode

By Patrs, Mar 01, 2013

mnementh01 has already told what was strange in this episode, as an american point of view. I will had some cliche that sound strange from a french point of view:

- Castle is so poor that he can travel to France? Green screen is awful, and alway to show that we are in Paris we have the tour Eiffel. Funny as you can not see the tour Eiffel so nicely everywhere in Paris.

- the French old Gaston is trying to pick the waitress up... and all american people are traveling with their guns?

- the american embassy is in fact the French Stock Exchange. It may be more easy to enter in this big building than in the real american embassy that is quite smaller (but more nice)...

- at the beginning, the 2-3 days to have help from France. In such case, I don't think France is so backward that the cooperation can't be more fast. That's even in contradiction with the moment when Ryan comes back with information from french police.

- one little things funny for me : the french people are played by an american (Paul Rogan as La Taupe), an Canadian english (Christopher Heyerdahl as Jacque Henri (do they know that normal speling is Jacques)) and the best for the end an english man (Christopher Curry as Gaston)... when you know the big love between french and english, that's sound very funny ! They don't have a french guy or their accent was so awful?

Except those incongruity, this was a nice episode but not the best. No humour, only action, no pleasure.moreless

intriquing

By woodm25, Mar 01, 2013

Its wasnt suppose to be a full plot your looking for that stick to why its a TV series, it was a great dialogue to open up new plots and stories in future episodes. Its always done like that in TV series and is either explained in future episodes or gradually from season to season.

Who knew??

By fondazion, Mar 01, 2013

You know to those naysayers who thought this was a lame episode, why don't you stick with reality tv its entertainment, the show is entertainment, since when does any of this series make sense in what universe?? Its great entertainment. Go watch nova if you are looking for reality,, check out pbs. I love this show its hokey unpredictable and fun. Great midseason episode.

By tomasedstrom, Feb 27, 2013

Who sold off the script writers? And who's idea was it to use interns to write? These two episodes seems like a death knell to the series. I sincerely hope the quality goes up. (That's the only way

(And please, the blind hacker with supernatural hearing was stretched in Sneakers, and that was in '92).

All he needed was a black helmet and heavy breathing!

By mnementh01, Feb 27, 2013

The only funny thing in this episode was the "homage" to Darth Vader with the "Richard, I'm your father" moment.

A good episode?

Worthy of all the gushing and 10 ratings?

Definitely NO!

This episode was full of plot holes and really and I DO mean REALLY bad green screen editing.

An earlier reviewer has been caned for "telling it like it is" and no doubt I'll get the same but "Best Castle ever"?

Hardly. There are far better episodes than this one and if the "10" brigade will get their rose tinted glasses off, I'll explain.

ALL the best episodes of Castle involve the group AS A WHOLE, not split up.

ALL the best episodes have a mixture of humour, tension and drama. There was no humour in this episode at all.

All the best episodes have a believable storyline, not a mish mash where "James Bond" shows up and by some magic appears to have prior knowledge of evrything that's going on.

The plot holes in this episode were glaring and stereotypical;

Blind man "hears" subliminal audio in the video?

A supposed freelance agent who is so well known his voice can be recognised and he is to be feared by all and sundry quakes in his boots and turns on his employer? He's hardly likely to stay in business long if that happened.

Daddy happens to be James Bond and can shoot 4 or 5 widely separated men in 2 seconds with a rifle?

The rescue depends on Castle being captured and two guys show up in the access tunnel at "just" the right moment?

And to cap it all, we get the exploding watch to open Alexis' cage.

As far as I'm concerned, there were only a couple of stand out things in this episode;

Beckett kicking over the girlfriend's chair in the interrogation room and Fillion's acting skills.

Other than that, this was a pretty much OK but forgettable episode and the writers are going to have to do better.moreless

Load More Reviews