Knockout

Episode Reviews (19)

Great

"Castle" sure knows how to leave you on a cliffhanger.

By braves_snl, Sep 28, 2011

One thing is sure about the season three finale of "Castle" … they sure know how to leave you hanging on the edge of your seat all summer with a fantastic cliffhanger.

A lot of TV watchers don't like cliffhangers, in fact some absolute hate them … not me. Cliffhangers make for amazing endings and they do what they're intended to do, bring you back in the fall.

As any fan of "Castle" knows the ABC drama has been following the storyline of New York detective Kate Beckett (played by Stana Katic) trying to figure out who murdered her mother when she was a kid. This episode goes a long way in telling us the viewer how this happened. Prior to this episode we knew that there were three cops involved in a murder that eventually led to the murder of Beckett's mom. We knew who two of the three cops were, but there was a mystery cop. This is where one of the big shockers from the finale comes into play. The third cop was … wait for it … Captain Montgomery (played by Ruben Santiago-Hudson), Beckett's boss and friend. In the end, Capt. Montgomery has two choices he can either lead Beckett into a trap to be killed by hitman, because she's getting too close to finding out the truth, or he can sacrifice himself to save her life. In the end, he sacrifices his life. Beckett tries to stop him, but Montgomery makes sure that writer (and show's namesake) Richard Castle (played by Nathan Fillion) is there to whisk her away from the danger.

If the loss of one of the show's main characters wasn't enough for the finale, there was another shocker in store at the finale's end when while giving the eulogy at Capt. Montgomery's funeral, Beckett is shot by a sniper and lies bleeding (dying?) in Castle's arms … as he finally tells her that he loves her.

Well, fans, we know that the show isn't killing Beckett off … hell, at times this season it almost seemed like the show should be named "Beckett," or at least "Castle & Beckett," instead of "Castle" because it almost starred Katic so much. It'll be interesting in season four to see how the continuing relationship between Castle and Beckett matures and to see where the storyline goes with the murder of Beckett's mom.moreless

An outstanding finale that ups the level of story telling for cop dramas.

By angrodpallanen, Sep 16, 2011

By the very first second the finale of Castle pulls you along a dramatic scenario that keeps on making terrific turns. The case of Beckett's mother is strong and complicated enough to keep your attention but simple and suffice enough to complete within an hour. The portrayal of the bad guy is done fantastic and as the episode progresses you fear for Beckett's life. A fear that turns out to be just.

The shocking, integral twists make the story far better. The relationship of the two leads plays well on the background and compliments the bigger story instead of distracting from it. All-in all the episode is very well set up, told and executed. An hour of great drama, sensation and intrigue that captivates you and surprises you.

Very well done.moreless

Pretty good. Spoilers Ahead.

By Shikady, Sep 07, 2011

It was GOOD...there was one thing I hate it...but the rest it was GOOD.

I knew Montgomery was going to bite the dust!. Or at least leave the show...he was getting more screentime in the last few episodes...it was fairly obvious he was going to left the show.

From the beggining of the episode I knew Montgomery was the third cop...there was a shot done by the director, when everybody was talking in front of the blackboard, the director leave the entire team in the background and did a closeup of Montgomery...Never the show did that...so It has to mean something, and they were talking about the third cop, and you could see right into Montgomery eyes...he WAS the third cop.

So, the revelation later on the episode didn't surprise me, but the teams reaction were awesome. And he shooting everybody was awesome too. RIP Montgomery.

The one thing I just hated it...was the Cliffhanger. I mean, come on!. Getting the main star get shot or almost blown up ( tick tick tick and the second part ) it's not a cliffhanger at all. Yes, you are thinking "How will she survive?" at least in tick tick tick...but in here getting shot as a cliffhanger was awful...BUT, it WAS NECESSARY for the show. Castle finally open his hearth to Beckett...it only took a bullet in the chest, but confesed his love for her. And we know Becketts feelings for Castle...and her relationship with Motorcicle Doctor is not going well, and she'll break up with him for sure, so I guess they will get together next season. I hope the writters can write the relationship in a way they don't ruin Castle and Beckett's dinamyc. If they change the way C & B work together the show might die and that would be bad =(.

Writting this I realized that the cliffhanger wasn't Beckett getting shot, It was Castle and Beckett love for eachother and how will it develop...if they're going out in the future or what...or if she even heard him. THat was the cliffhanger. But it would have been nice if somebody else was shot too...I mean Beckett won't die, but Ryan or Esposito might...or someone close to Castle.

OK...if Alexis leaves the show or isn't as much as before I will be pissed.

With Montgomery out ( RIP ), who will be the next Captain?. Nobody of the regulars...the only one that can be Captain is Beckett, but that isn't fun. All I know, whoever the next Captain is I don't think it will be as good to Castle as Montgomery was...so there could be trouble in the future.

I don't know what the hell im saying anymore...it was a good finale.moreless

WHAT!?! Holy Bat Masters, Batman! Epic Episode.

By simonsays42, Jun 25, 2011

What an episode! Everything goes down. I've been impressed. For so long Castle has stayed inside the box (Murder, Red Herring, Red Herring, Killer, solved) Granted, it was always so funny and enjoyable how they got from the beginning of an episode to the end, that it was worth the trip. But when they go outside the box, they DO NOT fool around! And those episodes are fantastic. I hope they learn from this that it's very O.K. to go outside the box more often.

The worst thing is now I've got to wait till next season for this to resolve. FOUL! That is completely unfair. I'm calling my congressman.moreless

Breakdown

By sh811a, Jun 06, 2011

This has to be the darkest episode and season finale of the show. It really took an unfun turn, there really wasn't much or any comidy but mainly drama and that's what I like about this episode.

Kate we see as she is focused on the case, she is breaking down psychologically. She is aliennating her friends and isolating herself but worst of all is getting too close to the truth which could get her killed. In a way she's kinda falling into a classic trap most detective tend to suffer and that is simply staring into the abyss too long. Kate as she is obsessing over the case, her personal life and persona suffers.

Even though Kate is the main character of the story I also thought both Castle and Mongomery were as well. Mongomery I really liked the charcter, I always thought of him as sort of the mentor of the group. That twist on his character really made me sad, he should of attoned for his sin sooner but the tragidy is it's too late. And of course we see him take his final stand and personally I felt he died not just as a hero but a man of honor.

Castle as usual is great he had some of the best scenes in the show. Two moments I liked were when he was talking with Kate's dad and his mom. Both of them clearly know Castle's is right for her, Castle's mom says one of my favorate quotes in the episode "In the final scene don't waste a minute." she's right it's time for Castle to come out with it.

There of course is this heated arguement scene with Kate. And I highly agree with Castle, it's true Kate is good but she's not that good, her combat skills are not on the same level as these Hitmen whom are really really bad news, they hardly miss and make mistakes, let alone she's outnumbered; one person can win a battle but it takes an army to win a war. I'll admit some of the things Kate said made me mad at her and I was thinking "What the frak are you talking about, if he wasn't around you'd be dead." What Castle says at the end was I felt one of the pivotal moments because what he said was the honest truth and really shows that he really does know her, even when Kate kicks him out she knows what he said is the truth, she owes it to herself to be happy why continue to be miserable.

And the ending I'll admit is heart wrenching, when we see that moment when Kate get's shot and Castle is a split second too late to save her. And when Castle says, "I love you." to Kate it was both profound but heartbreaking.

At this point I'm not really sure of anything. I'm not exactly sure how the next season would go, if Kate really does die (god forbid she does) that would make the show take a more dark turn sort of a revenge thriller for Castle. But if Kate does live then either both will hook up at the end of that season or they hook up indefinately, personally I want number 2 to happen and it's about time it's been about 4 years now; it would be sweet and funny to see Kate and Castle have some misadventures with their romance, I can see them both making out in the evidence locker in the precent without anyone knowing. Kate's case will defenantly be a big part of that season, near the end Mongomery even though he didn't reveal the mastermind (and for good reason) he did but some files in an envelope and was sending it either to Kate or Castle as a few more clues to get them near the truth. There will probably be a new chief, I'm just hoping it won't be some cleche butthead (why can't they get someone nice for a change.). This is all theory and I hope to be either proven right or wrong, well till next season.moreless

A great finale this is getting serious people and i like it!

By sindjiro, Jun 02, 2011

This show is getting more and more serious,and it is developing as good as it can from at first side crime- comedy-thriller to more and more real serious drama, ok maybe im over my head but i love this show and this finale is maybe the best finale among many this season, a great teaser for the next season i hope!

I am not afraid of Kate gonna die i am sensing a much serious story ahead and a little of old atmosphere but more stark and darker scented adventure,and if C. and K. get hooked up in next season i hope they want make this into some smoochy puppy love comedy i sure hope so.moreless

:O

By Reimei92, May 27, 2011

Oh. My. God.......as an episode I thought it was good, everything seemed a bit ahhh I don't know...to in shock? Not freaking out enough. Eh, I loved it hoped there was going to be more to the 'fight' but still. So called the 3rd cop as soon as they said it, which made me sad. They worked it in well I s'pose, but to have to hide all that? Wow. Also wow...this episode is the reason I won't be watching finale's until the hour before it starts again in September. I mean that in a good way, actually can't wait for Season 4. As much as people (including me) hope the show doesn't go the way of Bones (wait a tick...they are!!! They already pulled this! *grumble*) I hope they do follow it in this regard. In the sense that all isn't as it seems. ....although really what else could they do? Here's waiting 'till September, damn cliffhangers, as if I wasn't going to tune back in or something.moreless

Brilliant, or predictable? You decide.

By lazarius12, May 27, 2011

With a show like Castle, there's bound to be predictable episodes and scenarios. I've been known to call out who the killer was as soon as he/she is met and usually, this can continue forever without the viewers getting fed up with it. But every once in a while the writers give us an episode that pushes the over all show forward and I wish it wasn't just with the finales. There was a lot to love with this finale and while the revelation of who the man behind the curtain was, was in the back of my mind, I wasn't disappointed with the outcome. There was also a lot that this episode had that others did not, like the immense amount of character development within. We all know Kate and Rick need to shut up and get together and that bit seemed to move along quite well. Overall I enjoyed this finale, but I walk away with a lot on my mind for the next season. With the big moment at the end it seems like the show can go one of only two ways from here and will ultimately be a cop-out, or a game changer. I'm not sure which one I'll be more disappointed with nor which one I would prefer to happen, but we'll have to wait and see.moreless

OMG! Way to end on a Cliff Hanger !

By KimDoran, May 27, 2011

The episode was amazing up until the final moment.

I was inches away from my television set waiting for Castle to just suck it up and say he loved Becket. But Nooooo! he had to wait till she got shot, and now its to late, shes either going to live and not remember a thing, or die and it won't matter.

And might i add...Nice Job Writers, you gave 90% of the Castle fans a heart attack with that ending. Now we all have to wait till the Fall to find out if she lives or not!!! Are You Kidding Me! :O

You can't kill her off that's like Killing Batman and leaving Robin behind to try and save the day... it just don't work.

And Don't even think about bringing in another female love interest for Castle to get over Becket with, because you will have a Mob of angry fans showing up on your door steps.

Anyways, over all excellent finale, lets just hope they pull off as good an opening episode for Season Four.moreless

Load More Reviews