The Blue Butterfly

Episode Reviews (7)

Superb

Pretty good but with some problems.

By mnementh01, Feb 09, 2012

Overall, a very good episode with some neat twists and turns that I didn't see coming.

However, as I've said in other reviews, the writers are getting lazy. They simply expect viewers to "fill in the blanks" and don't bother to get it right.

***Spoiler alert***

The "Good"!

Everything in the 1947 setting was done very well (with one exception below), with lavish sets in the Pennybaker club and costumery spot on.

Alexis was great as the elfin faced Moll out for revenge.

Castle trying to get Ryan to say "boyo" was hilarious.

Lanie has a pretty good singing voice (not that good, so don't let her release an album on the strength of it. Sorry!).

Excellent storyline with fine twists and turns. I certainly didn't see the old couple being the older versions of the 1947 characters, although it DID fit well.

The "Bad"!

If Ryan's life depended on an Irish accent, he'd be extremely dead. That accent was laughable and I did. Laugh that is.

The "Ugly"!

American "Political Correctness" gone mad!!!

In an era when ABSOLUTELY everyone smoked, what was the point of Vera's character being a cigarette girl, as no one and I do mean NO ONE in the club was smoking? That club, in the time, should have been a veritable fog of cigarette and cigar smoke. Dear God, there weren't even any ashtrays on the bar or tables.

C'mon people, if you're going to do it, at least do it right.

Oh, and as a final aside, to give the diasgree squad something to go for, I've finally found out where Stana Katic's lost weight has gone!

It seems to have tranported to Nathan Fillians chest and chin.

That's a fair old pair of manboobs Fillian is developing and I'm sure there's an extra chin or two appearing, as well.

For God's sake, surely he can afford a Stairmaster and I'm pretty sure somebody could take Ms. Katic out and force feed her five or six thousand calories a day.

In evidence I present these two photos from the episode gallery on this website;

From "Home is where the heart is" a couple of years ago;

www.tv.com/shows/castle/photos/image-67/

From this episode;

www.tv.com/shows/castle/photos/episode-galleries/image-513/moreless

So good I had to watch it twice.

By Lancelot9201, Feb 09, 2012

Nothing says how good an episode is than to hear that it was so good it had to be watched more than once. This has to be the best episode of the past 2 seasons. I loved how they would flash from past to present & the dialog was fit for an Emmy.

nice one

By big-mema, Feb 08, 2012

one of the best episode in the show

Flashback

By sh811a, Feb 08, 2012

This is one I've been waiting a long to happen and my wait has paid off in full, this is another of my favorate episodes of the show. I'm a fan of the noir genere it was one of the first generes I ran into when I was a kid so this episode was a treat for me. It does the same thing as the "Flashback" episode "Magnum P.I." once did where they take all the key characters from the show and transition them into the 1940's decade where the Noir/Mystery genere was born, and it fit like a glove for "Castle".

It was just great seeing the setting, the common cleches like in one scene Castle states that the couple fell in love in just five days, I find that funny because it's true the couples in most Noir stories always do. But it was just a joy seeing both Kate and Castle in the contemporary roles of the genere, I like how there were different but slightly the same at the same time.

Castle playing the hard boiled detective doing the narration as things happen down to his charisma. And Kate playing the femme fatale, a beauty that you can't help but fall in love with, mysterious, seems to be a good girl just mixed in with danger. The chemestry with the alternate versions of Castle and Kate is great and strangely found myself carring because it just simply feels right you want both of them to make it. I also can't help but feel that it's also kinda a forshadowing as to where the relationship of both Castle and Kate will head in the future once we find out what happened with the alternate versions.

Sometimes the future can be found in the past.moreless

Great, good fun!

By shcashdan, Feb 08, 2012

Everyone involved in preparing this feast for the lovers of nostalgia positively outdid him- or herself. Writers, actors, musicians, producers, photographers, and editors of all facets obviously operated at the top of their form, and probably had a rollicking good time doing so.

Lanie the sensuous nightclub singer, Ryan the plucky Irish mobster, Esposito the silken Cuban tough guy marvelous. Alexis the brightly malevolent avenging Fury with the southern accent, Martha the bossy, almost-motherly secretary with the New York twang superb (and obviously savoring every second of breaking their previous molds in such a witty and delightful fashion). As the series has progressed, we have seen each actor portray an impressive range of emotions; we already knew that they excelled at bringing their characters to life but we've seldom seen them having so much fun in the process!

Beckett and Castle, fluid as their characters can be, threw themselves into their 1940s roles with readily noticeable zest hard-boiled detective is PERFECT as a doppelganger for Castle the novelist, his multiplex awareness already established: even in the midst of action, Castle is watching himself AND writing, mentally, the narration of that action. The lovely, magnetic woman of mysterious depths, with a touch of tragedy, blooms naturally from the woman whom Beckett already is, and blends well with the woman she is becoming as she gradually lets down her many barriers and allows herself care for Castle.

Although the plot itself contained several "guessable" twists, the overall conception and the manifest talents of the ensemble cast made this episode among the most thoroughly delightful of the series to date. Encore!

moreless

Fantastic Episode..That's what those writers & cast are capable of

By ChristosKot, Feb 07, 2012

this episode was absolutely perfect...the way they combined present & past stories was simply genius...

Abc don't U dare not renewing the show for many many seasons more... ;)

Film noir just for the fun of it!

By HarmonIsHot, Feb 07, 2012

I got a big kick out of this episode. Very clever use of the cast. Lanie sings beautifully!

I loved Castle reading narrating from the diary. Bogart couldn't have done better. ("Why am I narrating?" -- Hee.)

"This is the stuff dreams are made of. "

I swear the writers of this show really know how to have fun with murder.