Challenge of the SuperFriends

Good
7.7

A one flaw classic.

By HotWheelsdude, Feb 13, 2013

The only flaw with this show is the charaters. Why don't all of the villains and heros appear in an episode? 97/100 Awsome PS It's one of my favorite shows of all time.

I always thought that this was a pretty good cartoon. Not great, but pretty good. I like alot of the characters in this but some I really didn't like at all.

By blondwildboy, Jul 15, 2009

You have the Justice League Of America with great characters like Superman, Batman, Wonderwoman, Green Lantern, and my personal favorite The Flash. And then there are the ones that I didn't like. Apache Chief, Samuri, and Black Vulcan. I really didn't like those characters at all. I didn't like Hawkman either but at least I knew who he was. I never heard of those other three before I saw this series. Then there were their enemies, The Legion Of Doom. With great characters like Lex Luthor, Brainiac, and The Scarecrow, and The Riddler. But then even they had the not so great characters. Giganta and Toy Man were my two least favorites. I loved the cartoon but some of the characters were terrible. I think that the show could have been better without all of those annoying extra characters that I personally think were not needed.moreless

wonderful episode and part of the reason why i watch naruto

By silverfoxy8472, Sep 27, 2008

the anbu put naruto under to get the info while i could have done without all the ramen talk i think this helped greatly improve the fillers. Plus this led into one of the most WONDERFUL episode of the fillers. Finding out about the old man naruto spent sooo much time with was VERY interesting. finding out about one minor characters is also great. Of course it is great seeing my favorites work together shikamaru shino most of all the shy hinata and the meshing in the episode of all the element is WONDERFUL that is why it gets a 9.0 in my eyes. I realize that naruto eats alot of ramen and him and genno spent lots of time together there but i consider the one flaw that they focused too much on that time especially in such detail even though it was only a few minutes but still they could have gleaned the info they wanted without the bunch of ramen stories.moreless

The stupidity itself is the reason why this show is fun.

By McRazor, Dec 05, 2006

Many people hate old corny super-hero cartoons, but I don't. I like them, because they're funny and hilarius in their own stupidity. And, let me tell ya, Superfriends got plenty of that one. The animation is bad, monkeys could do more sincere dialouges, and you'll have a stomachache from laughing as soon as you hear some of these villain's plots and evil schemes. So, if nothing else, you should like this show just because it's ridicoulus and funny as hell. Just look at the old Batman series. It's no more serious then this thing and everybody loves it because it's funny. Why should SF be treated different?

Superfriends - corny comedy in all of it's glory!moreless

From their secretive Hall of Doom, thirteen of the most sinister super villains of all time have banded together for intergalactic conquest. Now, the fate of the entire universe rests in the hands of the eleven powerful members of the Justice League.

By RAFAELJOSE04, Oct 16, 2006

"Challenge of the Super Friends" was an early animated adaptation of the popular DC Comics' superheroes that premiered on ABC in 1978. Produced by the creative team of William Hanna and Joseph Barbera, the Saturday morning series featured the exploits of the world's greatest superheroes thwarting the evil plans of the notorious Legion of Doom. "Challenge of the Super Friends" included a colorful roster of heroes and villains, simple old-school comic book adventure and no goofy junior sidekicks. The stories, characters and animation are pretty straightforward, but the half-hour animated series does offer some decent amusement.moreless

One of the great 1970's action shows. Heavy on exposition, light on violence, but plenty snazzy costumes all around!

By winghop, Aug 30, 2006

This is one of the hallmark shows of the 1970s in terms of children's animation. The climate of Political Correctness had begun its early development, so the Superfriends were rarely seen hitting or otherwise harming their opponents. They used their powers to manipulate natural elements, or at the most to neutralize the powers of the evil villains. Still, to see Superman, Batman and Robin, Wonder Woman, and even Black Vulcan & Samaurai was enough to excite my weekday after-school TV time.

Perhaps one of the greatest, yet overlooked elements of this show was the theme music. The incidental music as well as the main themes and the action sequence themes were perfectly orchestrated to mix the burgeoning disco era of the 1970s with the previous studio big-band sound of the 1960s. Funkadelic and Funky all at once.

Over all this show and its various spinoffs are all worthy of Superman's own exclamation: Great Scott!moreless

By goldn8197, Aug 18, 2006

This show is a classic. Clearly the best of the pre Justice League and Justice League Unlimited incarnations of the united superheroes of the DC Universe. This series saw the most powerful, and well known, characters come together in one gigantic mix. From Superman to Batman to Wonder Woman and yes even the all powerful Aquaman. The roster was expanded from the ones in previous incarnations of Superfriends and the likes of Green Lantern, Hawkman and the Flash were added. But as with all great heroe stories the true stars of this series and the thing that made it fun were the villains, The Legion of Doom. Even the most modest fan knows of the L.O.D. which was led by Lex Luthor. The L.O.D. was made up of the arch enemies of the superfriends members even though some appeared more prominent in the series than others. The enemies of Superman (Luthor, Brainiac, Bizarro, Toyman) and Batman (Riddler, Scarecrow) to be more precise. The animation was a bit choppy at times but overall this show was great and acted as a precursor of what could be done in the future.moreless

Good but flawed idea

By Maximara, Jul 27, 2006

The idea of the Superfriends' enemies banding together to achive their goals was a good one. The first problem came in the line up. Instead of using existing comic characters like Owl Woman, Rising Sun, and Black Lighting we got Apache Chief, Samurai, and Black Vulcan two of which fell out of stereotypeville.

Then you got a look at the Legion of Doom's roster and things quickly took a turn for the weird. Bizzaro was largely still played for laughs and in general was not evil per say so why was he there? Then you got Toyman (Jack Nimball) and Riddler who were largely written as jokes in the comics (DC in fact killed off the Jack Nimball Toyman just a year after this series). In the comics Captain Cold and Heat Wave teamed up so often that they were called the Tempature Twins but here Heat Wave is missing. The rest of the group had some logic to it Professor Zoom would have made more more sence than Grodd (with two geniuses on the team why do they need a third), how Giganta an evoloved gorilla get growth powers, and why Solomon Grundy foe of Alan Scott was a member was beyond me.

Another problem was that of time. You had 11 Superfriends, 13 Legion of Doom, and 22 minutes to tell the story. Unfortunitely this ment that sometimes you had to have the villians forget how their powers worked to wrap things up at hen end or have the Superfriends stand around like idiots and let the Legion of Doom escape.

Happily the good outways the bad and even the worse episodes are a fun romp through an alternate DC Universe.

moreless

By vicmackey31, May 18, 2006

One of the classic animated shows of all time. Really anything with superman is worth watching isn't it? Again I will ask why people really would want to be saved by anyone other than Superman? Imagine being trapped on top of a mountain. Who do you want conig for you? Wonder woman in her invisible plane? Batman? I'm thinking nit. Not if your life was in the balance. Great vocal talent in this show is provided by Ted Cassidy as Black Manta and Brainiac, Casey Kasem as Robin, Frank Welker as The Toyman, Dick Ryal as Captain Cold, Buster Jones as Black Vulcan, Marlene Aragon

as Cheetah, William Callaway as Aquaman/Bizarro, Ruth Forman as Giganta, Danny Dark as Superman, Stanley Jones as Lex Luthor, Jack Angel as The Flash/Hawkman/Samurai, Stanley Ralph Ross as Gorilla Grodd, Michael Bell as The Riddler, Olan Soule as Batman, Michael Rye as Apache Chief/Green Lantern and Shannon Farnon as Wonder Women. A great show. Very fun to watch.

moreless

A great animated series about super heros verus the villians.

By SammyJ131, May 06, 2006

Did anybody else watch this show as a kid and wonder why Superman didn't just take care fo everything? I mean what was the deal? Some really bad villian would be about to destroy something and they send Auquaman because he can talk to whales? What can a group of whales do that Superman couldn't do. I think it must have been a union thing. "What, it's in the ocean? Well then, by union regulations we must send Auquaman." Seemed silly at the time and even sillier (is that a word?) now. I still liked the show and wish that it would still be on today, even with the union problems.moreless

Load More Reviews