A Witch's Tail (1)

Good
7.8

A Witch's Tail part 1

By TrueTvWatcher, Apr 18, 2012

A Witch's Tail part 1 was a perfectly entertaining episode of Charmed. I really enjoyed watching because the story was awesome and guest star Jaime Pressley was superb in her role. It was interesting to see a Charmed version of the Little Mermaid, but with a darker twist. I was excited and surprised when Cole returned as Phoebe was petitioning for a divorce. His powers are intriguing and I hope to learn more soon about how and why he's back and where his power comes from. I was shocked that Leo could be so easily held by the Sea Hag's power. Mylie the mermaid has hope in the end but Phoebe takes a liking to her new found freedom in the sea and dives deeper leaving every one to worry. I look forward to watching what happens next!!!!!!!!!moreless

Season 5 starts with a belly flop...

By iltarion, Jul 22, 2011

So, we have another 2 part season premiere, but Charmed Again this is NOT. Yes, mermaids, but I hardly see how people can complain about Season 5 as if the mythical creature box wasn't opened up all the way back to the Wendigo.

There is actually a lot of snappy dialogue in this episode. Great lines include Leo asking- "Why am I standing in the ocean?" "Because Phoebe is a mermaid." "Oh, that explains it." And the perhaps more classic, "Who are you people?" "Witch, angel, mermaid." Great stuff.

There is also an excellent guest actress in Jaime Pressley, always a welcome addition, and I really dig the layering of bad guys with the Sea Hag being the prime antagonist in this episode but having the bigger and badder Necrom behind her. Lastly, there clearly was some money spent on this episode, and the result shows: very good effects and grander sets including outside.

Besides the always reliable acting of Holly and the quirkiness of Paige, those above listed things are about all that is right in this episode. Unfortunately, there are plenty of things that are wrong.

Leo describes Patti as "careless" and "thought she was invincible." We have met Patti a couple times now. Anyone else think either of these lines apply to her?

The Sea Hag is nothing like the water demon that killed Patti. Why would Piper be afraid of it? And Piper has never showed any emotional hang ups from her mother's death before.

Paige never asked her sisters how their mother died? Come on. That is ludicrous. Phoebe and Cole were legally married, thus requiring a divorce? That is hard to believe. Cole Turner was a wanted man at the time, besides being the Source. Phoebe has also passed through the 6 stages of grief in record time, not to mention the 15 minutes of fame. This is all just a little too soon after the supposed heartbreak of Long Live the Queen.

On the other hand, despite everything Cole has done for her, it is understandable that Phoebe would have moved on and be scared to death of Cole coming back into her life. All the reviewers seem to have missed the big detail that Cole's blood burned like acid. This is basically a foreshadowing, or a reminder, that though Cole is trying to be good, and is currently a sympathetic character, there is still something fundamentally wrong with him and it is only a matter of time before things begin to go sideways once again.

Paige has red hair and there is a little more meat on her bones. Otherwise, she is the lone sister who has remained about the same as we left her. Overall, that is the ultimate problem with this episode. There is just too much change in too little time. So, Piper is suddenly gutless and Phoebe hates Cole. Maybe a stronger rehash of The Little Mermaid could have saved this episode, but in this case, it didn't.moreless

Something Fishy This Way Comes

By lenzinoH20, Jun 15, 2011

A Witch's Tail (1)-Piper, Phoebe and Paige come to the aid of Mylie, a Mermaid-turned-human, when she shows up looking for their help after a pact she made with an evil Sea Hag begins to go drastically wrong. Meanwhile, Phoebe attempts to divorce Cole, until he shows up claiming to want her back, Paige, attempts to juggle her new position as a full fledged Social Worker, as well as being a Charmed One, and Piper must protect her unborn baby, and face her fear of the water demon. Mermainds! Now you wonder why I didn't want to review Seasons 5-8. Well, I guess it could be worse besides, the show obviously got a hugh budget boost during the 5th season. The sets look larger, the film looks brighter, the SFX looks better than usual and Paige's hair is red!! Anyway, the mermaid plot is actually pretty decent at the beginning. Millie (played surprisingly decent by Jamie Pressly) and her dilemma with Craig seems to be the only decent amount of drama during this episode. The whole Cole/Phoebe arc seriously picked during the last half of Season 4 because it seems the writers didn't know what else to do with him. How else do you explain Phoebe suddenly hating Cole and wanting nothing to do with him. Since when was Cole responsible for becoming the Source and turning Phoebe evil? As I recall, he was a victim of possession and he was killed because it was the only way to destory the Source. But whatever works...right? *eye roll*

Piper's sudden phobia over demon conflict is also the other decent part of the episode. Holly is always spot on and it makes you wonder what is going to make Piper run in fear. Like I said, the episode has some great special effects and while the Sea Hag isn't much of a villain, her powers look great and Necrom also looks physical awesome. But a las, the writers had to stretch this out into two parts and while Part 1 makes for an overall average "demon of the week" episode, but Part 2.....ehw!moreless

Mermaids, divorces and fears are all par for the course in this season opener.

By Lady_Lancaster, Mar 29, 2011

Phoebe wants to divorce Cole but realises that it isn't going to be as easy as she first thought. Meanwhile, a misplaced mermaid who had the misfortune to make a deal with an evil sea hag turns up and wants help. On top of all this, Piper fears for her unborn baby and there just seems to be one thing happening after another.

As a season opener, this episode wasn't very strong. There just seemed to be too many sub plots for it to hold together properly. A focus on one or two points would have been better than having so much taking place, particularly for any new fan watching for the first time. It was good, but not brilliant. Could have been much better.moreless

I love the charmed one's

By hertgramistery, Jun 16, 2008

Well i havent seen the all episode but i think when we're talkin' about the charmed one's it will be fantastic.

I love this kinda of stuff so when they talk about mitologis beings like mermaids i think it will be great.I hope to see it as fast as i can but it seems like i have to wait to write till i can see it.I also like when Cole appears he gives a very interesting way to the thing and obviously he's very beautiful i fell sorry of the end of charmed and it would be great if they had another sere like thismoreless

Something fishy this way comes

By Blinksterboy, Apr 21, 2008

In a season with more than its fair share of magical creatures, I guess we could have done worse than mermaids. As a theme it's alright but this is no more a season opener than "Witch Way Now?" was a season finale.

The real problem is the weak storyline. Take away the flippers and it's just another 'save the innocent' episode. The story takes an age to reach a very predictable conclusion and the ending is far too soppy. How much better would it have been if the mermaid had turned out evil?

It's not a vintage performance by any of the cast and the guest actors range from average (Mylie and Craig) to downright awful (Necron's messenger). The one exception is Diane Salinger, who does a great job as the sea hag.

On the bright side, this episode features some of the best special effects ever seen on the show. The way the sea hag dissolves in the car park is superb and Cole's freezing of the bullets likewise. I only wish they'd put the same person in charge of the set; the undersea cavern is less than convincing and what on earth was that seaweed thing that choked Paige?

The sub plots just about keep the episode afloat (pun fully intended). Leo is building a nursery and Piper is so worried about the safety of her child she's getting panic attacks. Meanwhile, Cole is desperate to win Phoebe back and Phoebe is desperate to get shot of him. Both these themes take centre stage in part two.

The direction is unusual this week, with lots of panning in and funny angles. I also counted the word 'honey' six times in the opening scene.

Brian Krause looks particularly hunky this week. Must be the handyman outfit. I think my heating needs fixing....moreless

Whoa, it's simply perfect! They could not have done something better than this! If you don't believe just read it...

By Lostfinding, Aug 02, 2007

I think that some people hate the idea of the marmaid theme (Anyway, I liked it) but you have to see the whole episode to understand that is a great episode despite the marmaid.

First, the three stories of the sisters were perfect and very real! I don't know how to exlain but this episode has a perfect way to get all the stories and make them all play together as a single one:

Piper realized what happen to her mother and they needed a water demon, so they think about the sea creatures, they want a way to make Phoebe free and they think of the sea. I think it is a great story all together. I just cannot explain what I mean! It's like they are stories at once, not stories that are not together about the sister lifes individually.

As season opener, was my favorite too, because was the first one I saw (I've been watching Charmed from the very beginnig, but the trasmition in my country was not a serious thing and the adverstesment was awful) The first scene was so great: The demon appear suddenly, Piper blow him up, and the toy's head becoming, you know, little!!! XD It was a good scene. As it works perfectly as season opener, despite the fact that the first time I saw it, I didn't like the episode... You have to see it better to understand the wonderful episode it is!

The effects are great! The scene in the living room when Piper has the panic attack is lovely, and the effects are amazing. The effects in the final are great aswell.

Do you still think is a bad episode? Then let me tell you about the off-screen job: Sets and acting and camera job...

The set work was awesome in this episode, Charmed usually has not special sets where film special scenes! Here we have the big and original cavern, and the water pool thing that was just plain COOL! I loved it! Besides, they filmed in the beach some scenes and that makes the episode be a good one too (Usually, We don't see exterior scenes like this in Charmed) The acting was amazing too. Piper is so a great actress, I loved the scene when Paige tell her about the water demon and she says "We know how he kill, he killed mum". Alysa was good in this one too, I usally don't like her acting because she never cries but here we saw her crying! And she was good too. Paige was, let's say, strange! XD She usually is more natural, anyway she did it great too. Last but not least, the photography in the episode was totally remarkable! The scene in the outside when we see that is gonna start raining and then we see Mayly (I don't know her name right now!) was a cool photography effect and the storm going away above the manor after Piper attacks is lovely! The camera was 10 in the episode, the most notable scene was the attic scene Phoebe-Paige, and the cavern fight when Phoebe go out of the water and throw the alga shell! another exemple is the spot of water falling into the marmaid leg.

So, a great individual episode. Anyway, I think it is not a two hours episode, the change is clearly visible! PERFECTmoreless

Phoebe: witch or mermaid

By prada212vogue, Jul 30, 2007

This is the first episode of a two parter. I thought that this episode would have made a better mid season appearance rather than the premiere. I found it rather dull in what I have come to love and respect from charmed. I also have to comment on Paiges hair. I am glad I am not a witch when that can happen.

One of my favorite episodes!

By House24Fan, Jul 02, 2007

In this first half of a two-part season premiere,the Charmed ones are finally trying to relax and lead semi-normal lives after the dark events of last season.However,as is typical on this series,the normalcy is not to last. Phoebe is contacted by a mermaid as she is coming out of work.The mermaid needs the help of the Charmed ones to escape from an evil sea hag who wants her immortality.In order to help her,they must get her human lover,Craig,to confess his love for her and make her human permanently.Meanwhile,Piper has developed a sudden paralyzing fear of battles and Phoebe's life is disrrupted by the reappearance of Cole.Cole claims to be good now and starts doing good deeds to try and prove that to Phoebe and the others.By the end of the episode,the Charmed ones have saved the mermaid from death and defeated the sea hag.However,Phoebe who is now a mermaid as the result of a spell and insists that she wants to be one permanently.The episode ends in a cliff-hanger with Phoebe gone and Piper still crippled by her fears. This episode along with part two is one of my all-time favorite Charmed episodes.The writing is good,the actors do spelndidly,and the episode opens up many good storylines for the rest of the season.Cole's reappearance is a real blessing in my opinion as he is one of the greatest characters the show has ever had.His and Phoebe's relationship(or lack thereof) plays out excellently in this episode and they have some of the greatest chemistry of any two characters,couple or otherwise. The effects in this episode were very well-executed for this show.The shots of the storm were spectacular as were

the effects of the sea hag appearing out of the puddle and the water layer appearing over Paige. The only major thing in this episode that bothered me was the Piper storyline.Piper's fear issues were a bit annoying.I found them to be a real down-side to the story.They came off a bit to overdramatic for my tastes and I didn't really think it likely that after all she had been through that she would get quite that flustered all of a sudden. Overall,though this is an excellent episode and definitely a great example of why Charmed is such an entertaining show.moreless

Load More Reviews