A Witch's Tail (2)

Episode Reviews (15)

Great

A Witch's Tail part 2

By TrueTvWatcher, Apr 18, 2012

A Witch's Tail part 2 was a perfect follow up episode to the season 5 premiere of Charmed. I was very entertained by the campy and quirky feeling some of the scenes had. There was a lot of character development as Phoebe dealt with her feelings about Cole, while he tried to prove to every one that he has changed. Piper tried to overcome her fears and uses magic with some interesting results. I liked how Piper saw her mother when she was trapped under the water and gained some true insight. I'm glad Phoebe has finally reconciled her feelings and I look forward to watching what happens next!!!!!!!!!moreless

Is that the best you got?

By iltarion, Jul 21, 2011

From the moment Piper puts on the leather pants, this is a substantial and certain improvement over Part 1.

The leather pants that I believe were first broken in by Prue in Ms. Hellfire are virtually always the sign of good things to come, (unless Piper is possessed, which then debacles are surely to follow). Ironically, Piper's fearless spell merely replicates the Piper from Hell Hath No Fury. Regardless, this Piper is about 1000 times more enjoyable to watch than the impotent, panic attack Piper was. The urgency of Charmed is always ramped up a couple notches when it is one of the sisters who stands to be lost, and not an innocent. That is the first and most important difference between this episode and the last. Phoebe is the one whose role as a witch hangs in the balance. Frankly, some of Phoebe's dialogue is good comedy, but the rest of her subplot is borderline annoying and not the stronger part of this episode. I do appreciate the outfit, however.

Paige by now has firmly taken Prue's role of superwitch, and it is basically up to her to save the day here, with some mostly ineffectual help from Leo. Her red hair is straight this week and looks much better with the orange top and white pants. Love the look this week. Her scenes with Cole are probably the best part of this episode, except for the end. They are well-written and very well acted, as Julian just continues to be too good to properly vanquish from the show. Paige casts another spell here, on Cole, and has clearly taken Phoebe's role of spellcaster pretty much for the remainder of the series.

I also appreciate one last scene with Darryl and Cole talking like they are friends. It is a good scene and a pleasant reminder of when the sisters, Leo, Cole, and Darryl were all friends who fought together against evil. I believe that too brief time from Season 3 to Season 4 was the best of times for Charmed, though don't get me wrong, good things and great episodes are still to come.

The very benign torture scene with Piper is a classic, and we have a very explosive vanquish. I actually didn't like that they redid the scene from Fear to Eternity with Piper this time around. Lame. The special effects were markedly improved from last time, at least. Great closing scenes with Paige leaving her job, Cole and Phoebe on the beach, and Piper adding to her baby book. Very touching. Well done. There is some hope for Season 5 after all.moreless

The Little Mer-Witch

By lenzinoH20, Jun 15, 2011

A Witch's Tail (2)-Piper, Paige and Leo struggle to convince Phoebe, now a mermaid, to come back to her life as a Charmed One, when she decides to "swim" away from her problems with Cole. Meanwhile, Piper casts a spell to stop her panic attacks but instead of facing her fear, she suppresses it, endangering herself and her baby, when a sea Demon comes after her mermaid sister, Phoebe. In order to help Phoebe, Paige takes drastic measures and enlists the aid of Cole, and his newfound demonic powers. Sigh, Part 2 feels like a pointless extention of Part 1. It's just 40 minutes of Phoebe as an annoying mermaid and more, unnecessary Cole bashing! Now all of a sudden Cole is such a hugh threat to Phoebe? Paige's whole rant to Cole at her job was beyond harsh and completely undermines Cole actually keeping the Source at bay when he was possessed. You actually start to feel bad for Cole here, he's just trying to show Phoebe he actually cares and wants to do some good, yet every keeps giving him sh!t....yeah, because helping Phoebe and her sisters kill the Source as well sacrificing himself to the Source which got him possessed wasn't enough. At least Phoebe comes to her senses at the end and admits she still has feelings for Cole.

Piper becoming bada$$ witch for a hour was the only real highlight of the episode. You can tell Holly Marie Combs was having a blast showing off Piper's tough, no holds bar side. I especially loved her confrontation with Necrom and her delivery of "It's that the best you got?" It's also great to see Piper overcome her fear, especially since her experience underwater with her mom is like how Prue overcame her fear of drowning in "From Fear to Eternity." Not to mention, getting healed by her baby was a nice twist. It's too bad the rest of the episode drags the plot and never really adds anything to it. "A Witch's Tail (2)" ends this supposed epic 2-parter on a dud. The writers really need to stay away from the fluffy mythology stuff like mermaids! SMH....moreless

This one was much better than the first part and a lot more organised.

By Lady_Lancaster, Mar 29, 2011

Phoebe, now a Mermaid, likes the idea of swimming away from all of her problems with Cole and her sisters and that seems quite sensible considering all that she has to face. The problem being, it's never that easy and she soon finds that out when the nasty old sea hag, hell bent on revenge, decides to make life as difficult as possible.

Things aren't all that great for Piper either as she attempts to control and internalise her fears, which actually makes matters worse in the long run. But whom do they turn to for help? Why Cole, of course, who else but the ultimate evil in a situation like this?

Like I said, much better than Part 1, the writing and continuity was stronger and, therefore, far more watchable. Great episode.moreless

How shocking!

By MovieMark, Apr 14, 2010

Warning: Rant ahead!

Why is Cole a bad guy? THINK about it. Why does Phoebe hate him SO much? Paige tells Cole that he put Phoebe through so much (last season). That's fair enough...except that wasn't Cole, was it? The Seer tricked a human Cole into taking in the Source so he could save his girlfriend from certain death. Ammiright? When they vanquished Source-Cole, Human-Cole was sent to some kind of demon limbo since he wasn't actually a demon, right? He acquired some powers, but he was human. He somehow made his way back to Phoebe who completely freaks out for no reason whatsoever and decides to become a mermaid. So Cole IS human, but has demonic powers. He's basically a man-witch. A warlock. He's not evil at all as far as I'm concerned. Phoebe even tells him she still loves him but cannot go back to him. WHY? I.Just.Don't.Get.It.

End of rant.

The rest of the episode is a serviceable piece of fluff. Piper's silly subplot turns into something of moderate interest when she's electrocuted by means of a very elaborate set-piece (nice touch with the eeels). I was also impressed by the messy vanquish - all three sisters are tossed all over the place, and end up in a more dire situation once the demon is killed.

And the ending, admittedly, was unashamedly sweet, with Patty magically signing Piper's old baby book. D'aww.moreless

Interview with the mermaid

By Blinksterboy, Apr 22, 2008

This is so much better than the first half. Just goes to show what can happen when the story focuses on the sisters rather than some random stranger.

With the Mylie and Craig plot thankfully over, the sub plots from part one take centre stage. Piper's panic attacks are growing worse, Phoebe is still avoiding Cole (and still a mermaid) and Paige finds herself as the unlikely leader of the three.

I really enjoyed seeing Phoebe as a mermaid. Her swimming scene is beautifully filmed and there's less of the silly baby talk. I know her costume has come in for some criticism but how else would you expect a mermaid to dress?

I also enjoyed Piper's fearless spell. It's good to see her being reckless for a change and Holly was clearly enjoying the change of character. Totally agree with Piper about that godawful painting. What was Leo thinking?

Necron is a quality baddie. After their long struggle with the Source and the Seer, it's good to see the Charmed Ones face someone different. The grey makeup really works and his torturing of Piper is a first for the show. The vanquish is spectacular and I love the way the action carries on afterwards. Good to see Patty again too.

Paige and Cole have some excellent scenes this week. Their argument at the flat is brilliantly directed and Rose is superb with her quickfire lines. Top marks!

An interesting ending too. Paige quits her job (how on earth she got that promotion will forever baffle me), Phoebe signs her divorce papers (which means Cole must have agreed to the divorce now the authorities know he is back) and Patty signs Piper's baby book from beyond the grave. Bless!moreless

You have no idea how special this episode was! It was a great episode to watch with a great story and a great off-screen work

By Lostfinding, Aug 20, 2007

Whoa! How can someone tell me this episode is a bad one with the whole scenes that we saw?

The off-screen work was the best of this episode. Still we see the cave with water set! And they really used it here... Besides of incredible scenes under water and in the exterior. When the episode starts we can see Phoebe swimming under sea, only for that I am able to say that this episode is a 10 one!!! They made a scene under water with the real Alyssa (not a stunt) and with lots of fishes swimming around her. It was great. Then we saw the exterior scene in with the fishmen :D That scene was great too! I love exterior scenes... But, that is nothing compared with the final scene in the cave! The three of them flying to the walls, Piper getting under water, and the whole scene was so awesome! That is a reason to say that this episode is 10...We usually don't see these kinds of scenes in Charmed, it has a lot of action there. More things? What about the Necron torture... I mean when Piper is being electrocuted! It was just plain perfect!

So... what about the story? To me the story remember barely to "Look how is..." First one sister goes out, then another one do it aswell, and only one sister is left to handle the situation. Phoebe idea of beging a marmaid was great, and the Piper with the spell backfire! Paige acting like the independent leader witch. GREAT! Besides, I loved the demon idea... Necron is so different, a skeleton being traped between life and death, it is not perfect? It was a really original being and the final explotion in the cave was awesome, despite the whole "it is very dangerours"... that was great aswell!

So, what do you want me to say? Great story and great action, a 10!moreless

Follow on from last episode

By prada212vogue, Jul 30, 2007

This is a better episode than part one. I found that there was more exciting things goung on in this episode than the first. Piper and Paige try and convince Phoebe to come back as a witch. I found it really funny that Phoebe said no to her sisters but she did it for Cole.

Phoebe's still a mermaid !! will Paige and Piper convince her to come back to be Charmed One ???

By charmed1102, Apr 01, 2007

Phoebe, choosing to remain as a mermaid after vanquishing the Sea Hag, finds herself being preyed upon by Nercon when discovers that the Sea Hag can no longer deliver the immortally of Mylie. Paige and Leo desperately search for Phoebe, not knowing that she's in danger, while Piper continues to struggle with panic attacks. Piper decides to cast a fearless spell, in order to over come her bouts of panic and soon finds herself being held captive by Nercon. Meanwhile, Paige turns down Cole's offer to help her at work but later thinks that he may be the only one that can return Phoebe to her human form and enlists his help to save Phoebe from a life at sea.moreless

Very very special indeed.

By mr_47_jack, Mar 04, 2007

This episode was very very special indeed. The fact that Phoebe still loves Cole, and Pipers baby, and Paige quitting her job.

The part where Piper cast her spell; I think anyone in her position would have done the same thing. There was a lot of psychology involved; with fear, love, responsibility, guilt. It is one of the best episodes yet.

The part where Phoebe tries to run away; there was a lot of suspense involved. I at first thought that she was running away from Cole because she was afraid of him. I always thought that Phoebe always loved Cole, and this episode proves it. But it was a sad thing when Phoebe said that it won't work out. But all the suspense leading to it was pretty good.

There were a lot of turns in this episode. The only problem I find with every episode from the 4th season is that Prue is dead. Apart from that I love this show.moreless

Load More Reviews