Battle of the Hexes

Episode Reviews (34)

Battle of the Hexes

By TrueTvWatcher, May 20, 2012

Battle of the Hexes was a superb episode of Charmed and I really enjoyed watching because the story was fun, exciting and very entertaining. The belt which Billie found was very cool and had a very interesting history. I also enjoyed watching Paige meet her latest charges' parole officer and for Phoebe to help along the way. It was very interesting to learn more about Billie's past and what happened to her sister. I look forward to watching what happens next!!!!!!!moreless

A hot superwoman bent on destroying men? Well, I guess every rose has its thorn.

By iltarion, May 06, 2011

And Leo saves the sisters once again. And the sisters save Billie, much to their later regret.

I don't hitch with all the criticism of this episode. I understand the combination of the wiccan, mythological, and comic book worlds are generally not warmly greeted, but I think this is an entertaining and often hilarious episode just as long as you don't take it too seriously.

First of all, great outfit. I dug it. Some critics seem a little uptight to me. I have news for you. If hookers looked that good, it would be a much more popular and rich profession. Yeah, Kaley's acting wasn't the greatest, but she looked good at least.

The short part when Leo was invisible was hilarious. I wish it would have lasted longer.

The scenes with Leo and Piper together are all good scenes. It is great to see them getting along together again, as it should be.

The scenes with Billie supposedly in class are laughable, but they serve a point. As a guy, I didn't have a problem with all the anti-male banter. It was comical, frankly. The whole demon plot was secondary to the action, and that was fine.

Plus, Henry was introduced in this episode. Good character and good actor. Paige should have stayed single, but I can get over it.moreless

Billie becomes a hooker and Brad Kern's writer monkeys show us they know how to thug talk a "dawg".

By astralguy87, Oct 07, 2010

In this episode, Billie puts on some belt that turns her into super-feminist and once again reminds me what went wrong with this show. The problem with this show is that it fails to follow its own mythology or just uses random mythology that doesn't fit. Introducing concepts like magic school, Hercules-related plot points (like in this one), and superheros kills the mood and atmosphere you would set for a show about three witches in San Francisco. Many people didn't like it when they were turned into superheros the first time, why would it be better this time?

At least last time (Witches in Tights, Season 5) there was a somewhat interesting plot with the thought projecting teenager. Here it's just Billie randomly picking up a belt and turning into something just because, in the paraphrased words of Phoebe, "it was bound to eventually happen."

Not that I can act myself, but it must be said that Kaley/Billie is just horrible [attempting to] do so. I wanted to throw my laptop out the window when she uttered the line "there is no wrath like a woman scorned!!!" and blowing up the attic. Not only is it a cliché line, but the way she uttered it just killed me. Thankfully Holly saved the scene (or the show) by hoping the [insert choice word about Billie here] comes back and cleans up the mess.

Then there was this other unrelated subplot about Paige helping out an inner city kid/charge, which of course was not only black and poor, but also used words like "dawg". It didn't matter what race they made the kid, it just seemed very low of the story writers to take a group of people and use stereotypical dialogue and one dimensional characters for them. Black people say dawg all the time, yup. Not. That reminds me, why is Darryl almost always last in the other seasons' opening credits?

You can have the racism argument in your sociology class about that one (speaking of class, Billie was totally disrespectful to her professor, how is she going to explain showing up in a hooker costume the next day? Oh right, Charmed demands we turn off our brains for a while).

However, I have to still highlight some good points:

-Sisterly chemistry: Piper and Phoebe haven't shared a lot of sisterly chemistry since Prue died, but there is a cute scene in the case warehouse where the sisterly banter kind of hints of times lost. In a way, the presence of Billie makes Phoebe less annoying.

-Character development, new likable character: Although the subplot was irrelevant, it's nice to see Paige going back to her "social worker instincts" and standing up for the kid who was in trouble. She also has more or less good chemistry with Henry (Ivan Sergei), who has the teasy snark of Andy. I like Henry! Yay for good characters.

-Leo: Leo has not been a favorite character of mine, but somehow he seems to have loosened up a little more and let go of the whole preachy whitelighter gig. He shares a couple of good scenes with Piper and the girls, especially toward the end which make me like him a little more:

Piper: Nice to see ya

Leo: Nice to be seen ;-)

Cheesy lines at face value, but their inflection and mannerisms just make it really nice in my opinion.

This isn't the most charitable thing to say, but I'm so glad this show's over and Kaley's out of a job (at least this job)!moreless

I hate Billie.

By Danny2312, Oct 07, 2010

Agent Murphy seeks help from the Charmed Ones for supernatural cases. Phoebe tries to get premonition from the evidence. Doesn't Phoebe being afraid after he power is stripped in the season 6 episode "Crime and Witch Demeanors" for forcing premonition? Later on, Billie wears a belt which turns her into a super-woman. Oh great, Billie becomes evil! Another Billie episode. Paige is busy saving her charge from her future husband--Henry Mitchell. Is that thief really her charge?

You call this series Charmed? No I don't think so. I called this series "Billie, the troublesome woman". Please stop, the audience wants the original Charmed to return. Not Billie.moreless

By Blinksterboy, Feb 15, 2009

Belt up, Billie

What a load of rubbish. Billie puts on a magical belt and becomes even more annoying, Paige spends all her time in a tedious charge-related subplot and everyone starts banging on about gender differences.

Billie's story is ridiculous. So we're expected to believe a shiny belt and a hooker's outfit means she now has the power to wipe every man off the planet? The action is a complete rip off of "Witches in Tights" and Kaley's acting is dreadful.

The whole battle of the sexes theme is very forced and seems to come from nowhere. Ok, so the fight in the lecture theatre was quite amusing but I cringed when Piper and Phoebe started spouting off about men. Totally out of character. And were the demons even needed? The story would have worked perfectly well without them. Save on the guest actors and spend the money on keeping Brian!

Once again, Paige gets embroiled in a subplot which goes absolutely nowhere. This week, she has to look after a black youth who keeps getting arrested and let off again. We never find out what happens to him in the end and, frankly, I couldn't care less. The only redeeming feature of this story, and the only thing keeping this episode's score above 7.5, is the appearance of Henry. He's a very likeable character and adds a real spark to the episode. Look forward to seeing more of him.

This instalment won't do anything to appease the Billie haters and it does seem she is getting more and more airtime as the weeks go by. Ah well, only another four discs to go.

Score: 7.9moreless

The worst episode ever!

I really wonder whether I want to continue watching what was once my favorite show.

By stefan26sept, Aug 12, 2008

It's sad, really. They just can't figure out how to fill the 22 episodes they have in store for this season. When I think back to season 4, with Cole and the Seer, or season 6 with Chris and Gideon, I just can't help myself but wonder is this the same show? I mean, the actors are the same, but everything else.... just awful! Disgraceful!

The best thing they could have done was to pull the plugs after season 7. The sisters were presumed dead and they could live "happily ever after".

This? Paige was barely shown in this episode, and it was in fact her storyline that I give this episode a 2, otherwise it would have been 0.1.

The Billie storyline-boring, un-imaginative.. the scene in the classroom-just awful!

I mean, the acting, the REacting, the OVERacting...

just give up the ghost already!moreless

By Encablossa, Jun 03, 2008

This show needs to die. This show needs to die.This show needs to die.This show needs to die.This show needs to die.This show needs to die.This show needs to die.This show needs to die.This show needs to die.This show needs to die.This show needs to die.This show needs to die.This show needs to die.This show needs to die.This show needs to die.This show needs to die.This show needs to die.This show needs to die.This show needs to die.This show needs to die.This show needs to die.This show needs to die.This show needs to die.This show needs to die.This show needs to die.moreless

The better way of make Charmed fans go out! How do they dare to do this kind of things? P3 is dead, unfortunaly, Billie is not! As a men and as a student this episode it's a insult!

By Lostfinding, Jul 10, 2007

This episode make me regret for one hour to be fan of Charmed! How the hell do they dare to do this to the show!? Let's remind a thing for all those persons that still think that season 8 is good: Charmed is about the power of three, three sisters fighting together for the greatest good! And now they've forgot that! I mean know we don't see that anymore...

Paige is a whitelighter... Great! But she's still a Charmed One and we wanna see her working with her sisters! I think it's a direct onfese to the audience. They're breaking all we loved about Charmed! Anyway, If you do Paige go on her own please give her good stories!!! That story was so boring, nothing to see... At Least, Henry is now on the show. Some people say that it's a "boring" character! Why? It's a great "boy-friend" character, it's sensible and serious! At last one boy with personality, all we see lately is the "cute-stupid-simple" guys! And that makes the show lose its serious part! (I've to say that Paige and Henry makes us see love, not plain sex)

But that's not the worst part of the episode!... I think we all know what it's! Suddenly, they forgot that boys see Charmed too! Anyway, I think that after this episode they doesn't do it anymore! I'm a boy and I think that they went too far with the "woman power". I defend rigths for bot women a men, but the episode it's not about men=women but women better than men! That makes Charmed look as a silly show with not "bigger emotional state"! (At the beggining Charmed was about morality and now...) And... After this, Someone will be able to say that love Billie Character??? She's so... I would say stupid, She acts like a little girl! not like a woman! The scene in the "strange room" gets everyone nerves: Phoebe:"Don't touch..." Billie:"I'll keep touching things because I'm not a frealy-adult-person!!!" And again the anoying chatting of Billie "Men are..." Shut up! Men are listening to you! What about the all scene in the high-school...Mmmm?? I've just finished high-school and I can swear anyone that that wouldn't be let!! THe mobile phone thing, and the boy "outside better than inside" thing it's so ridicule!! That's why old people think that young people are stupid! For God sakes!! We are a lot more serious than that!

The demon-storyline is boring as well! The scene in the alley were the demons attack a women to Billie rescue her is horrible!! That scene could have been better! The demon fight is no longer a important thing in the show. The final vanquish has the stupid "oh oh" from the demon, please, there are demons in a adult show not in a children one!

And the camera job was awful as well! Specially in Paige scenes! Rose's job was broke by the bad filming (For example when Henry came in his car)

The only thing I would save of the episode is the Piper-Leo scenes! They're great together. I liked Alyssa performance too in this one! And Holly Marie made us thing her experience over the years, she's great!

I think that this episode don't deserve to be aprove!

PD: They din't take serious the set again! The furniture near to the door wasn't there! And Henry's police station is the same of always (They could have change things a little!)moreless

Agent Murphy gives the sisters their first Homeland Security case - searching through cold case files, where Phoebe and Billie discover a belt that gives Billie superpowers. Meanwhile, Piper and Leo are on the hunt for a band to play at P3.

By Black_Grace, Apr 14, 2007

Awesome episode!! Billie was great let again in this episode. I think girls do need more credit but I still like guys. Paige and Henry scenes were great! Paige getting told by Henry that she shouldn't be here dressed like that. Henry and Paige were so funny with the betting 20 dollars and Paige saying I have faith and that she was in the apartment and how she got in there.

Load More Reviews