Charmed Again (1)

Episode Reviews (40)

Superb

Funeral Location

By RebeccaRiley2, Mar 22, 2014

It was sad to see Prue (Shannon Doherty) leave, but I swear that her funeral was held in the same mausoleum that Inspecter Davidson was killed in at the end of Death Takes A Halliwell (3:16). Am I wrong?

Anyway, I started watching this show because of Shannon but I actually think it got even better with Rose McGowan. Still, this was a fitting, yet heartbreaking, farewell to a beloved character. I think they handled it well.

Charmed Again (1)

By TrueTvWatcher, Apr 14, 2012

Charmed Again (1) was a perfect season four premiere episode of Charmed and I really enjoyed watching though I was sad to learn what happened to Prue. It was touching to watch Piper and Phoebe deal with this loss while more demons wanted to attack an innocent girl who was at the funeral. I liked the surprises and meeting the hidden Halliwell sister. It was funny to watch Piper summon Grams. I look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!!!

Long Lost Sister

By gopink, Jun 23, 2011

Charmed ones's parents should be shamed because Patty gave up Paige and abandoned her all of her years. How she do it, she should be awful mother. However, Patty have no experience raise her daughters, she died. Penny took over and raised three girls. There is no explained that Patty died and Charmed girls have lousy explained for Prue's death. I dont understand Prue's death, how she died. However, I never like Prue very much, I dislike her. Piper suddenly became oldest sister of Charmed ones. Phoebe moved to be middle sister and left is Paige.moreless

So sad Prue left...

By Danny2312, Apr 19, 2011

This episode features a few days after Prue's death, Piper and Phoebe hunt for Shax, the demon who is responsible for Prue's death. While in the funeral, Phoebe saw Paige, and she got a premoniton that Paige will be attacked by Shax. Later on, Phoebe and Cole learn that she can orb, which means that she is possibly a whitelighter. But Leo get nothing from the Elders. Luckily for the sisters, they have Cole, a good demon, and learn that Paige is the new charmed ones.

Paige Matthews take over Prue and become the new charmed ones. She orbs things. I like Prue more than Paige.

This episode is NOT really good, although it has a novel. The writer(s) should have done better than this.moreless

Piper and Phoebe must continue the fight, with Prue gone, against supernatural evil. How will they use the Power of Three? Who is this Paige person? Is the writing really that bad? Yup.

By johndoe70, Apr 19, 2011

Oftentimes a great television series has fallen due to casting changes (i.e. Sliders or Talk Radio) and I am sorry to say that this what begins to happen with the Charmed Ones. Although it did survive for a total of eight seasons. For one reason or another, Shannen Doherty left the series and the show never fully recovered. Her replacement, Rose McGowan, is a talented actress but losing the chemistry that the original cast had hurts the series. The writers had to find a quickly find reason, in two episodes, to create a fourth Charmed One, who could be the third Charmed One. Story wise, the result [given the limitations] does work, but it is not terribly too creative. Personally, I never really liked Paige as a character because she reminded too much of Phoebe. I also generally felt that the quality of writing and the production values took a nose dive during this season as well.moreless

Piper and Phoebe mourn the death of their beloved sister, unaware that forces are at work to rejoin the Power of Three.

By Lady_Lancaster, Mar 20, 2011

Prue is dead and, therefore, technically, so is The Power of Three as there are now only two sisters left.

What Piper and Phoebe are unaware of is that they have a long-lost half sister about whom they know nothing. She is the product of Patty's affair with her Whitelighter, Sam, and, in the Halliwell tradition, her name starts with a "P" as she is called Paige.

I found this episode really weak for a season opener and thought the writers could have done much better. Naturally, for the show to continue, they had to bring in another sister, but the whole thing was quite cheesy. The only reason I gave it a 7 was because Alyssa Milano and Holly Marie Combs did an excellent job of portraying their character's immense grief. The rest of it was pretty average.moreless

New Sis On The Block, Part 1

By lenzinoH20, Feb 13, 2011

Charmed Again Part 1-Mourning the death of Prue, Piper and Phoebe must now come to grips with the loss of their oldest sister, and the loss of the Power of Three. However, The Source discovers an unknown sister - the daughter of Patty and her whitelighter Sam, who had been kept hidden, Paige, the now-youngest Halliwell can restore the Power of Three and reunite the sisters' strength as witches.

An overwhelming first part to this sad and surreal premiere that sees Piper and Phoebe grieving over Prue's death and preparing for her funeral while unknowingly, they discover they have another sister named Paige. Despite not resolving the shocking cliffhanger at the end of "All Hell Breaks Loose", "Charmed Again" Part 1 is a stunning episode regardless. I'm glad that instead of shying away from the loss of Prue, the writers fully embrace the harsh reality of losing a sister. Brad Kern continues to writer some impressive dark drama and the cast works wonders with the material. Holly Marie Combs, never the less, is the shinning star of this episode. Now, the best actress on the series and stealing literally ever scene from the rest of the cast, she conveys Piper's grief so convincingly that you believe the actress herself is actually grieving. It would make sense that Piper would be the most hurt as her and Prue were always the closest. Alyssa Milano does a fine job of making Phoebe's pain internal as she tries to direct her focus on her witch duties, especially when Paige becomes the lastest innocent.

Speaking of Paige, Rose McGowan (Scream, Jawbreaker) makes her smooth and solid entrance into the series as the charismatic, quirky Paige Matthews. The writers really crafted a relateable character whose just your average everyday woman in her 20's who has some soul-searching to do. Rose gives a fine performance throughout as she becomes sucked into the world of magic and is shocked by it all. I love how the writers brought back the relatioship between Sam and Patty, as it was genuis and it came in handy to create the character of Paige. The revelation scene where Patty and Grams reveal Paige's identity is acted so well by the whole cast as Piper and Phoebe discover they have another sister. The scene where the Charmed Ones are reconstitued is beautifully done as well as when all 3 sister reunite and vanquish Shax for good.

The only real annoyance in the episode is Inspector Cotrez and that lame storyline with him findng out the sisters are witches. It's just drags and it sucks this storyline continues on to part 2. On the plus side, I love that the writers are finally building on the Source's agenda with the Charmed Ones and his appearence is now making the series more darker. All and All, "Charmed Again" Part 1 is a marvelous first part with some brilliant writing, dark, emotional scenes and truly surreal acting by Holly Marie Combs.moreless

Very little is resolved from last year, but Brad manages an impressive premiere nonetheless.

By MovieMark, Dec 21, 2010

Treating this episode as a revamp to the series, I wasn't particularly bothered by a lack of explanation as to how Prue died and how Phoebe escaped the underworld. Truth is, fans knew of the onset squabbling and falling out, and the writers did a commendable job at attempting to move on without Shannon.

All that said and done, Part One is an impressive Charmed episode. Despite some obstacles, Brad Kern manages to produce a compelling script, aided by series best performances by Holly and Alyssa, respectively. Rose McGowan, too, fits in nicely here, with a mix of all three former leads and a unique touch of her own, Paige's debut is solid.

There are plenty of fantastic little moments Charmed rarely does so well tucked away inside this first part. Piper gets the bulk of them and I especially enjoyed her attacking Leo, asking him why he didn't do anything to save Prue. It's a good way of tackling the subject of why Prue died without digging too deep into the already convoluted reasoning behind it.

Shax is back, which is always good. He's probably one of the best villains the show has ever had. It's a pity he looses some of his mystic appeal, with Leo jumping on him hoping for a jockey back. It would have been good to keep him around for the 2nd part, as the Source has yet to become to nefarious villain due to obvious casting issues, and he mucks up the dire second half completely.

Overall, it's the better half of this two hour special and probably one of the best Charmed episodes of the season. There's an emotional hook for fans reeling from the loss of Prue, there's quite a few impressive action set pieces, and the script has plenty of lighthearted moments in an otherwise dreary, full on cry-fest.moreless

Prue is killed by Shax, and a new sister Paige reconstitutes the Charmed Ones.

Starring: Alyssa Milano, Rose McGowan, and Holly Marie Combs as "Piper", Brian Krause, Julian McMahon, Dorain Gregory

By budde22, Aug 20, 2008

When Prue died, i wasn't exactly sure how i was going to react. I didn't really known how i was going to act when Paige (Rose McGowan) came into the picture. The pain that Piper (Holly Marie Combs) and Pheobe (Alyssa Milano) were feeling was great, and well acted by the both of them. Piper's rage when demons attacked was also fantastically acted by Combs. How Paige came into the picture,Patty (guest star Finola Hughes) and Sam Wilder had a child, and her power i think did what the Charmed Ones needed to actually become the Charmed Ones. I personally believed that the Charmed Ones could have easily been take out by the Source, until Paige became the third sister. The Charmed Ones are stronger with Paige, and a larger threat. I love it when some of the family is entered into episodes like Patty, Grams (Jennifer Rhodes), and Victor (guest stat James Read) appeared. Comedic elements in this episode, like Cole (Julian McMahon) mentioning that the Halliwell Family Tree is more messed up than his family was great. This episode began a new chapter in Charmed, and it turned out to be the better Chapters of series.moreless

Load More Reviews