Enter the Demon

Episode Reviews (13)

Superb

Enter the Demon

By TrueTvWatcher, Apr 14, 2012

Enter the Demon was a perfect episode of Charmed and I really enjoyed watching though at first I wasn't sure if I was going to like it. There was a lot of great character and plot development as Paige stirs up some trouble and in the process becomes closer with her sisters. It was fun watching Phoebe train with Cole and for Piper to tutor Paige in herbs. The story of the Zen Master, his daughter, and his student was pretty interesting. I liked the lessons learned. I look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!!!moreless

Enter the witches...

By iltarion, Jul 07, 2011

The first time I saw this episode I thought it was an outlandish filler episode after the tremendous start to Season 4, but after seeing it a 2nd time, I recognize it as a very enjoyable and original hour of Charmed.

Charmed has always mixed and matched rather brazenly from religion, wicca, and mythology, and this plot involves a very creative mix of Buddhist and Christian ideas. It also involves a vengeful martial artist who can use pools of water to travel between planes and has set up shop in limbo. The stakes really get amped up when a soul-stealing dagger, (is there any other kind?), comes into play, and like last episode, it is Piper's soul that is in danger. Though some of the dialogue is ripped line for line from Enter the Dragon, and some of the action sets are clearly inspired by Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, at least we have two great movies to pay homage to.

In addition to that, the best part of the episode is the lighthearted subplot where Paige and Phoebe get to spend some time in each other's shoes. It was great watching it closely and seeing how well each actress could mimic the other. Alyssa was practically spot on with Paige, if maybe a little exaggerated, and Rose, for being the newcomer, was perhaps even better as the more difficult to play Phoebe, though with a 3rd viewing I did catch her breaking character twice. The clear highlight is in the herbal store, when the guy compliments "Paige" and Rose McGowan does the Phoebe neck rub, Phoebe's ubiquitous gesture when acting shy or uncomfortable. Bravo!

Of course, besides the acting by our ladies, the best part is when Cole knows what is going on and hits on Paige. Hahaha! We get our one and only Cole and Paige kiss! It is an even more enjoyable scene if you already know that Paige and Cole become arch-enemies. Repeated viewings have allowed me to appreciate the writing in this episode, and the beginning of this season, even more. Though it doesn't deal with the issue as openly as the first 3 episodes of the season, Prue's death still lingers over all things, and ultimately, this episode echoes the message of "Death Takes a Halliwell"- in that death is something to be accepted as part of life.moreless

Crouching Tiger, Screaming Audience

By maxpower03, Apr 26, 2011

Essentially an episode of two halves, with an entertaining if slightly tedious body swap between Phoebe and Paige and a badly structured, almost embarrassing attempt to capitalize on the Crouching Tiger-style movies which were gaining in popularity at the time this episode aired.

Enter the Demon sees the sisters attempting to save the Zen Master, who has been abducted by his vengeful apprentice and locked in "limbo", a place where time doesn't move and death is non-existent. Meanwhile, one of Paige's spells goes awry, causing her and Phoebe to swap bodies.

The body swap scenario is entertaining, if marginally lame, with the writers hardly doing anything different to the last time they did a body/powers swap, which (I believe) was back in season one's Love Hurts. The performances aren't that great though. Whilst body swaps on other shows are usually done with style and confidence and decent acting, Alyssa and Rose don't put close to any effort into their performances as Paige and Phoebe, respectively. Maybe that's because they're both such vacant, uninteresting characters that they haven't really got much to work with? Oooh, burn!

The Chow Yun-Not storyline is much worse, being unknowingly offensive and having a bad case of "Holy Exposition, Batman!" with every tiny little piece of the extremely convoluted storyline glaringly explained in a coma-inducing 5-minute scene half-way through. The sets used for much of this storyline are also bad, with the Limbo set like a reject from a Shatner-era Star Trek episode and the other sets obviously taken from the "Clichéd Mystical-Chinese-Place" closet on the Paramount lot. The performances are the only decent thing about the subplot, with Daniel Dae Kim, who would eventually go on to much greater things on better shows, putting some life into the badly-constructed, badly-written character of Yen-Lo.

Enter the Demon is probably one of the worse episodes of season four, with a ton of clichés, lame dialogue and some lazy plot twists.

Director: Joel J Feigenbaum

Writer: Daniel Cerone

Rating: Fmoreless

A pretty well known scenario but with a twist that made it a TINY bit better.

By Lady_Lancaster, Mar 05, 2011

Phoebe and Paige learn that a nasty Ninja is on the loose and realise that they will have to do something about him sooner rather than later as he is hell bent on the usual amount of evil.

Problems occur though when a spell is cast that goes more than a little bit wrong and the two sisters end up having to switch bodies which complicates matters a great deal because Phoebe has to learn to master and manipulate Paige's powers, whilst Paige has to do the same with Phoebe's.

The humour comes as they try to vanquish the warlock while dealing with the exchange of powers at the same time and that alone makes it watchable. The rest was just way too predictable.moreless

Kung Fu Failure

By lenzinoH20, Jun 27, 2008

Enter The Demon-While making a potion, Paige accidentally switches bodies with Phoebe. Meanwhile, when an apprentice ninja kills his master, the sisters must find a way to vanquish him, while learning to control their switched powers.

An light-hearted episode that tries to play for laughs, but ends up falling on it's head, "Enter The Demon" feels like a sorry attempt by the writers to create a "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" knock-off. Yen Lo is hardly a threatening villain and pretty lame at that. His threats are laughable and you just can't wait until the sisters just vanquish him already. Also, the writers have seen way too many kug fu movies as the actors they've heard all act like stereotypical asian characters in a kung fu movie. Both James Hong (Zen Master) and Jeanne Chinn (An Ling) look so bored in their performances it's not even funny.

To top is all off, we get a childish sub-plot with Paige accidently switching bodies with Phoebe. While this could have been developed into an interesting storyline, it played for cheap laughs and silly sexual hijinks. While Cole hitting on Phoebe while she's in Paige's body was slightly funny, the storyline just isn't convincing by any means. Rose at least tries to act like Phoebe while Alyssa puts on that annoying baby voice that made "Once Upon A Time" grating and pretty much thinks she's Paige, ehw! Also, Holly Marie Combs was surprisingly bad when playing the Zen Master in possession of Piper's body. While she is a versatile actress, she just couldn't pull it off as you could tell she just wasn't interested in the material...period! All and All, "Enter The Demon" is just a boring, ridiculous episode that should be ignored.moreless

Crouching tiger, hidden dragon blade

By Blinksterboy, Feb 03, 2008

Another week, another 'demon plot, sister plot' episode. Unlike last week, however, the two halves don't work well together. This is Charmed as it was back in Season Two.

The demon plot is pretty lame and the sisters' involvement seems, frankly, unnecessary. Not for the first time in Hollywood history, we are shown that the Chinese spend all their time dressed in karate suits going on about Yin and Yang and that all oriental men turn into Yoda as soon as they hit fifty. The father was particularly annoying - he didn't seem to care about anything. I know less is more but a little emotion would have been nice.

The 'Limbo' set looked rubbish but at least it got the girls out of San Francisco for five minutes. I did like the idea of using puddles as a gateway.

The sister plot is much better. Once again, one of Paige's spells goes awry, causing her to swap bodies with Phoebe. This provides some real comedy and gives the two actresses a chance to act out of character. Alyssa does Rose particularly well. The whole thing reminds me of Season One's "The Truth is Out There...."

Julian looks awesome in the opening scene, as does his kung fu kicking double. His character was verging on the annoying at the time but, strangely, the script seems to pass me by whenever Jules gets his kit off. I'm glad it was Cole who sussed out the body swap.

Meanwhile, Piper at last has control of her powers and seems to have accepted Paige as a witch as well as a sister. Best scene has to be Paige spinning around like a twit whilst trying to levitate. Best line comes from Piper two seconds later: "You two, follow me!"moreless

At first I didn't like it at all, right now... I love this episode! It's great, adventurous and the off-screen work was awesome. It's not boring at all, has tons of action, effects and stunts, and it the story is very original.

By Lostfinding, Aug 14, 2007

It is so a great episode! It has great moments and great scenes...

The story was original. The whole Limbo theme and Yen-Lo, the swords and the fight. It has an adventurous side that really make the episode a good one. That way you don't get bored. Besides, the water story was so original! And the final in the Limbo so original.

The off-screen job was by far the best thing that this episode has... the camera job was really great, the did great scenes (specially in the Limbo set). So, what about that? The sets in this episode were so great! We don't see set like the Limbo a lot in Charmed, I know it is not so realistic, but at least it is very original. It means that they don't do bad endings in the episode. I really really like this set. Besides the whole fight in there was great! And I loved when Piper/Zen is thrown flying to the vortex! It was so great! Some great scenes were, for example, when Piper is in Chinatown and freezes and the blows up! I liked it very much how they did that scene. The scene with Cole and Paige/Phoebe in the hall was great filmed aswell. My fave scene was when Piper got angry and they are in the solarium and Piper starts yelling them because what they did. She's really touched by Prue's death.

The effects in the episode were great (and the camera job helped it!) One of the bigs one was when the whole Limbo changed back! The scene when the vortex changes back too was awesome! with them right there. Anyway, the episode is not so perfect, so scene (I would say Cole/Phoebe fighting scene) were very pointless and they could have been done better. And some moments were weird in the episode. Anyway, the episode is not boring at all and it is very original, tons of action so... what do you want me to say? It has to get a 9! The whole episode was very original, great filmed and especial!moreless

Piper instructs Paige in the basics of witchcraft. Paige, however, does not devote her full attention to her studies and while mixing a potion inadvertently switches bodies with Phoebe.

By charmed1102, Apr 02, 2007

Cole learns that the Source will try to destroy the girls soon, before others believe the Source to be weak and challenge him as the leader of all things evil. As a result, Cole insists Phoebe take her martial arts studies more seriously as Piper instructs Paige in the basics of witchcraft. Paige, however, does not devote her full attention to her studies and while mixing a potion inadvertently switches bodies with Phoebe. Meanwhile, Yenlo, a student of a Zen Master, seeks revenge on his teacher and his master's daughter, Anling, after being passed over to take his masters' place. When mortally wounded, Yenlo, hides in between worlds, eventually wounding and capturing his former master. Anling crosses paths with the Charmed Ones and needs their help to save her father.moreless

this is one of the best episodes of charmed ive ever seen - one of my favorites - and i've seen almost all of them!!

By emmanorman123, Jun 19, 2006

I love this episode, it is really good and i love watching it, the only thing i can say is that when paige asks phoebe what she had for lunch, phoebe answers "kung pow chicken" but in the episode 'animal pragmatism' (series 2) she clearly states that "I am a vegetarian and I have never eaten any of you"(said when everyone in P3 was turned into animals)!!!It's confusing but apart from that a brilliant episode...Spelling is a genius!!!

Load More Reviews