Payback's A Witch

Episode Reviews (29)

Great

Payback's A Witch

By TrueTvWatcher, May 21, 2012

Payback's A Witch was a perfect episode of Charmed. I really enjoyed watching because there was a lot of action, drama and intrigue as Wyatt made his toys come to life, Paige and Henry went through a lot, and Billie risks every ones safety on her continued quest to find her sister. I liked how the story was played out. There was a lot of character development and it was interesting to see Wyatt use magic to bring toys to life in order to help find Leo. There were some good lessons in this episode. I look forward to watching what happens next!!!!!!!!!moreless

Paige and Billie are held hostage, as are we by this episode.

By iltarion, Jan 07, 2011

Okay, straight up this has to be the worst episode of Charmed of all time. In watching it a second time, I have to admit I fast-forwarded through some parts rather than tolerate them a second time. Let me start with the easier part- the good things. Phoebe looks great this episode, love the pigtails. Secondly, Paige being able to heal is a good thing, I guess. Lastly, it is good that Leo isn't being forgotten.

Otherwise, everything else is pretty much junk. Why didn't Billie just use her telekinesis to pull the gun out of the robber's hand? That wouldn't be exposing anything. Everyone would have just thought he dropped the dang thing. Billie makes a potion out of a bunch of crap from a purse? Come on. Paige and Henry vouche for a guy who then takes a bank hostage? Hahaha... poor choice. Besides Phoebe being cute, the scenes at the manor with the 3 action figures turned real by Wyatt are frankly somewhat painful to watch. There is some comedy there, but mostly, it is just foolishness. Paige makes one signal to the cameras and Piper just happens to be watching during that part. Preposterous, but that is pretty much this episode.moreless

BORED, BORED, BORED

By Blinksterboy, Feb 27, 2009

Bored, bored, bored

This has to be the dullest episode of the whole series. I spent the whole hour waiting for something even mildly interesting to happen but to no avail. In a yawn inducing nutshell: Phoebe and Piper hold a birthday party for Wyatt while Paige and Billie get taken hostage in a bank.

It's been a while since we've had a Wyatt based episode. It doesn't start too badly; the opening scene between Piper and Wyatt is quite touching and I liked Phoebe's spell to get the bear to talk. However, it then goes completely down the pan and the rest of the hour comprises little more than three blokes in silly costumes running around at a kids' party (though the soldier is quite fit).

Paige and Billie's plot is even worse. Henry tries to help an ex-con get a bank loan. When the bank says no, the ex-con whips out a gun and takes everyone hostage. Nothing happens for a very long time then Henry gets shot and Paige heals him. It's about time Paige had a new power so this is good to see. On the other hand, Billie's 'potion' is ridiculous. A bit of tobacco and the contents of someone's make-up bag? Come on!

Both plots are also incredibly predictable. I don't whether I have been watching Charmed for too long or whether the writers are just getting lazy but I saw every twist coming a mile off. As soon as I saw the three toys being lined up I knew they were going to come to life. It was also a given that the demon was going to possess the gunman at some point and Paige glamouring into Billie was so obvious it was painful.

It must have cost a lot to make this instalment as there are stacks of guest actors, several big scenes and even a helicopter buzzing around the set. Shame they couldn't spend a little more on the plot. And will someone please teach Wyatt to speak. No kid can possibly be that quiet.

Score: 7.7moreless

I like the idea of the hostage plot finally being taken in the series!

By stefan26sept, Jul 30, 2008

This episode was great, almost perfect!

Finally things are going upwards for Charmed. Granted, the last episode was a little blah, but starting with Vaya con Leos, and now this, I really look forward to the next episode!

I think Paige and Billie did great in that bank.

Furthermore, Paige finally finds a trigger for her healing power - love, love for Henry! Isn't that sweet! I think she's closer to revealing she's a witch to him now.

The subplot with wyatt's "friends" was also good, but kind of a reminder to the episode "Cheaper by the Coven" where he also finds himself guilty for the demise of his family.

All in all, good job!moreless

Paige is held hostage.

By Danny2312, Mar 14, 2008

Billie the troublesome woman. I hate her so much especially after the episode "Kill Billie Vol.1". Billie seems to become part of the show now. But as far as I concerned, this show is Charmed!! The Charmed Ones. What the crap is going on with Brad Kern? Paige is held hostage after Henry's friend can't get money from the bank. Why can't Piper just freeze the police outside and go in to freeze Henry's friend (I forgotten his name)? There's so many mistakes they have done that can expose themselves as witches and demon, except if the hostage are blind and dumb. Not a very good episode.moreless

Payback is a witch? Comeback is a wish! Too much to handle...

By Lostfinding, Jul 14, 2007

They tried to do a new original episode but I wasn't that way: We have two stories (the bank and the Wyatt's toys)

I've to say that the story of Wyatt was bad, very bad! It's not funny, it has no sense and it's ridicule! The characters were bad and the didn't do anything to the story. So half of the episodes is completely forgeteable. At least we have some good writing in Piper ("turn back Pinocho into wood" "he's not anatomicly correct")

In the other hand we have a better story, that is not so better! The whole bank thing is boring till the end... We have only a few good moments but the rest it's quite the same. And all the potion thing makes no sense! Why it should that work? The few good scenes (like the car crash, the elicoter, the SWAT stuff) could have been a lot better! the camera job was awful, the scenes were horrible because of that! The scene with the three sisters in Piper's bedroom was so so so bad! that the way that bad filming can make a good scene turn into something so bad!

I think that the episode has a good ending: I mean the Charmed Ones working together! At last! We don't see Billie killing the bad guy, anyway, the episode it's quite Billie-centric! The effects in the attic were well done (when the make the demon go out of the body)

PD: What was about the "Phoebe "He's cute" to the toy-soldier" thing? That sounds as if Phoebe was desperate! It's too impersonal of her!

So a "strange" episode that makes go down with the "toy story" stuff but has an effort to do a good job with the bank (at least it's a chance). so the episode is a 5 episode because of the ending...moreless

With the intention of helping his parolee get a loan, Henry, along with Paige, go to a bank but instead the parolee decides to take everyone at the bank hostage. Meanwhile, Phoebe and Piper have their hands full when, during his third birthday party.

By Black_Grace, Apr 16, 2007

Great episode!!Billie and Paige were really smart in this episode! With there potion and not using any magic and switching bodies. No wonder Paige's voice sounded funny. I knew something wasn't right. She is really lucky no one saw her heal Henry. Wyatt's birthday was awesome!! They did his first birthday and third but not second.

Great episode, Paige and Billie dont use magic they use science!!

By charmed1102, Mar 31, 2007

Paige tries to help Henry get his parolee, Nick a loan at a bank, but when the loan is denied, Nick crashes his car into the bank and holds everyone hostage. The flurry of media causes Paige and Billie to come up with a solution that does not include magic. Meanwhile, Piper and Phoebe have their hands full when Wyatt celebrates his third birthday by using his magic to make his dolls and toys come to life.

Talking Toys and A zoom gone amoc.

By ViktorCharmed, May 25, 2006

The first ten minutes felt slow, silly and just unbearably boring. My God; the toys are alive, and the others are stuck in a hostage situation. Oh Please. But when the episode was finished I really felt otherwise. The toy plot turned out to not only be quite cute, but also very revealing and interesting. Wyatt finally got to grieve in his own way, and Piper got to talk to her boy and see what’s going on through his mind. The whole hostage situation at the bank started out boring and just plain stupid, but evolved into an exciting plotline with some character development as well as some interesting demons, and for once an original vanquish. Billie was bearable, Paige and Henry was as cute together as ever, and their relationship is getting better and better. I loved how the other girls teased her for her love. And while we’re on the subject; Paige can heal. Rejoice. Finally we’ve got a healer and Paige has a new power. Billie had something to do, and something to act with, that wasn’t her usual screwing something up. She was actually pretty good in this episode. Piper and Phoebe didn’t have much to do, but the little time they had was well spent. Although I’m a bit mad nothing happened with Phoebe’s moving out. It was a complete waste of story to have her search for an apartment in the last episode, if they were only going to forget all about it in the next. While we’re on it; the whole idea was a mistake to begin with. Phoebe has moved out twice before. It never worked out, but at least she had her reasons then. Now it’s just impossible top say why she wants to. I just hate how they’ve made Phoebe such a boring character. In seasons 1-4, she was my favourite on the show, but now she’s just plain boring and they never give her anything to do. Bad writers.

Something I did like, however was that Billie got a new role in the show. She’s not there to screw something up anymore, she’s not there to learn all about magic. That’s a very good thing, seeing as those story lines have been made thousands of times before and are starting to get boring. Now she really does help the sisters, and finally starts to show some respect for both them, and for danger. The thing that bugged the most with this episode was the ridiculously overusing of the zoom-button. In every scene of the hostage-plot the camera zoomed in and out whenever someone said something. It was really annoying and I sometimes felt like shooting the one that came up with that nifty idea. And I want to see more of the Big Bad of the season. We got a great peak of what's to come in Vaya Con Leos, and have heard nothing since. Bring it on, already.

All in all a good episode, with some exciting scenes and original demons, and a bearable Billie, for once.moreless

Load More Reviews