Power Outage

Episode Reviews (20)

Superb

Cole puts his hand on the throat of the Charmed Ones, and then lets go...

By iltarion, Jun 11, 2011

Cole/Belthazar's quest to destroy the Charmed Ones reaches its explosive climax in this stellar episode.

Cole initially sticks with the indirect approach by enlisting a demon, Andras, that uses anger to get to his victims. As other demons, namely Zankou, would realize later on, the best way to get to the sisters are as human beings and not witches. This works to perfection as once angered, the sisters have no problem unleashing horrific insults at one another until they all become enraged enough to use their powers. As a consequence, the Power of Three is broken, and the plug is pulled on the sisters' powers.

Unfortunately for Belthazar, before he can sweep in on the now vulnerable un-Charmed Ones, a teary-eyed Phoebe shows up at his apartment. He puts himself in position to kill her, but of course, in the end, he can not go through with it and sends her home to make peace with her sisters, just in time to fight off Belthazar.

As would become the norm, Jullian McMahon is sensational as the passion-torn Cole/Belthazar. The climactic scene where he has the entire series at his mercy is very well set up and fittingly tense. The final scene when he turns on the Triad, and in a violent rush, destroys them all is amazing. Though they were rather easily destroyed, I have to say that this Triad is far more imposing than the three grandpas they hire to play the Triad in Season 8. The sisters are believable in both their anger and their reconciliation in the end, and Leo's explanation of what happened was also a strongly written and acted scene. Thus would begin Cole's time with Phoebe and his role as an extremely valuable friend of the Charmed Ones: a truly great time for the series.moreless

Stop Screaming, Goddamit!

By maxpower03, Apr 19, 2011

After all the tensions that have risen between the sisters since the start of season three, it's unsurprising that an episode sees the Halliwell's finally unloading all their tension and releasing their true feelings to one another.

Power Outage sees Cole hiring a demon to magnify the sister's anger into pure rage. The sisters have a massive argument and end up using their powers on one another, causing the Power of Three to be broken and the sisters helpless against a demon attack.

This is the best of all the "Cole's demonic attempts to kill the sisters" episodes, with some excellent acting from the three leads. They're all genuine in their emotions, in particular Piper, who has been taken advantage of for much of the season so far. It's fun to watch the episode in retrospect too, thinking that Shannen Doherty had a hell of a lot of fun yelling at Alyssa like she does in this episode...

The demon of the week is the only annoyance of the episode. Andras is one of the most original in Charmed's history but is played by the originator of The Screaming, Wailing, Overacting Charmed Demon Guest Star, Mr Jason Carter. His voice irritated me throughout Power Outage and I couldn't wait until his OTT demonic ass was vanquished.

Despite a sucky performance from Jason Carter, Power Outage is one of the best episodes from early season three and features some really memorable sisterly moments.

Rating: A-moreless

The fall of the Triad and sisterly fighting

By Slayergirlkal, Apr 19, 2011

This was such an incredible episode. I enjoyed watching the charmed ones get completely out of control with their emotions and letting all the little things blow up into big things. It was entertaining to watch them lose control like they did and it was amazing to see Cole and how he was involved as Belthazor and his constant struggle over what he was doing.

The Cole and Phoebe storyline was actually really good here. I liked that they both had unresolved issues that Phoebe wanted to get out but Cole was kinda holding back on her. It was nice to see their relationship in that 'where do we stand' phase after they slept together.

I had to agree with some of the things said when the girls were arguing though. Piper has definitely been underappreciated. It was annoying to see Prue expecting Piper to just drop everything and practice for Belthazor killing and to have a photo shoot at the club. I think I would have gotten angry sooner than Piper did. And Phoebe just expecting Piper to do the meeting was something else. I also had to agree that Piper and Phoebe really take Prue for granted. Prue is always looking out for them and sometimes they don't give her credit for things. And Prue and Piper really didn't seem to give Phoebe credit for the fact that she had actually matured. It was nice to see that some of the stuff they had to say actually had a point to it.

I liked that Cole's constant struggle between being with Phoebe and killing her and her sisters was actually a huge focus. It was nice to see that in the end he killed the Triad. I also liked that the girls finally got a piece of him literally!

This episode was incredible in so many ways!moreless

Cole turns up the heat in his mission to destroy The Charmed Ones.

By Lady_Lancaster, Mar 20, 2011

Cole is getting impatient. He wants to end the Charmed Ones, and he wants to do it sooner rather than later. To this end, he enlists the aid of a demond named Andras whose job it is to cause a level of rage that will make the girls so angry at each other that they will use their powers as a weapon, not against the forces of evil, but against each other.

Andras soon has the sisters bickering and fighting and, as predicted, hurling insults, abuse and magical powers at full force. The only problem is, when they use their powers against each other, the powers are gone, which is exactly what Cole wants. Or does he? Perhaps this evil demon has a not-so-evil side after all? Only time will tell.moreless

Get the girl or kill the goodies?

By Blinksterboy, Jul 29, 2010

It's make or break time for Belthazor and his personal dilemma reaches its peak this week. I'm really enjoying these Cole based episodes and this one has everything: action, intrigue, romance, humour and some serious sister issues. It also has one of the best scripts of the series so far.

First, to Cole and Phoebe. I'm not normally interested in TV couples but these two are something else. The way Cole is torn between Phoebe and his mission is truly heartbreaking and Julian handles it brilliantly. I've said it before but I think he is perfect in the role.

Next, we have Belthazor's last throw of the dice at killing the Charmed Ones. His helper this week is Andras, demon of rage, whose task is to break the power of three by getting the sisters to use their powers on each other, which he duly does.

The argument he starts forms this week's key scene and the insults are fantastic - tragic but funny at the same time. Reminds me of Season Two's "Pardon my Past". I laughed out loud at the way Piper slagged off her quarrelling neighbours then threw them out. Ten out of ten for the writing.

The 'earthquake drill' totally had me fooled. There's also an imaginative vanquish, with Andras being first blasted out of Belthazor then zapped by him. On top of this, Belthazor gets a chunk sliced out of him and Cole almost gets found out. And just when we think it's all over, Cole goes and slaughters the Triad.

Charmed is so good at the moment.moreless

The sisters lose their connection.

By addict666, Jul 08, 2008

Phoebe and Cole are both amazing in this episode and the scenes between them are both emotional and really hot. The intro is really great and it really sets the tone for the rest of the episode. The fights between the sisters are very realistic and represent a lot of the resentment that has been building for awhile. The clashes that occur really show how hard it is to manage having real lives and having to save the world at the same time. The drama of this episode is really good and my favorite scene has to be when Phoebe goes to Cole's apartment and even thought he is tempted to kill her and allow for his plan to continue he saves her because he cares for her so deeply. They are such a good couple and this is a really great episode for them.moreless

Sisters Gone Wild

By lenzinoH20, Jun 11, 2008

Power Outage-In an attempt to destroy the Charmed Ones, Cole enlists the help of Andras, a demon who magnifies anger into rage. Meanwhile, when the sisters lose their magic after using their powers against each other, they are left defenseless against attacks from the Triad and Belthazor.

The best episode to feature Cole trying to kill the Charmed Ones and some turly surreal sisterly moments, "Power Outage" is a superb episode that brings a lot of revelations to the table. There have always been issues between the sisters but their demon fighting pretty much got in the way with them telling each other how they really felt. The best scene of the episode is definately the big fight where all 3 sisters have a big blow out about how they've been filling for so many years. Our 3 leads are excellent here and it's shocking how the fight ends with the sisters using their powers on each other.

Julian McMahon is really starting to come into his own as Cole/Belthazor as he is struggling to be the merciless demon his always been, but can't help but be helplessly in love with Phoebe. The scene where Phoebe goes to Cole's apartment for help is a beautiful scene, with Phoebe's vunerablity and Cole's inner struggle throughout. It's a great development that Cole lets Phoebe go home, showing how much he cares about her. Another wonderful scene is the sisters finally working out their issues and regaining the powers back as they learn to always be honest each other from now on for the sack of their destiny.

Once again, there are some flaws, with the most irritating one being Jason Carter's terribly grating acting Andras, The Demon Of Rage. Either he thinks his a much better than he actually is or his partial deaf as his constant shouting made his scene almost unbearable! But anyway, I also really enjoyed the fight scenes throughout this episode like the sisters' quick rehearsal with Leo impersonating Belthazor and the sister finally getting a piece of his flesh, then Prue sending him flying through one of the windows. The episode ends with a shocking end as Cole kills the Triad as he has now gone obviously and completely mad! All and All, "Power Outage" is another superb episode with wonderful performances from the leads, a great demon plot, and terrific developments.moreless

Breaking the sibling bonds...

By Angel200489, May 01, 2008

The Triad advises Cole to kill Phoebe instead of sleeping with her, otherwise he would die. Cole summons the spirit of rage Andras, a demon that increases anger to rage, and asks him to infect the Halliwell sisters, breaking their sibling bonds. Andras succeeds and the Charmed sisters lose their powers, and Phoebe moves to Cole's place. However, Cole is in love with Phoebe and controls Belthazor and spares Phoebe, asking her to return to her sisters. When Andras discovers, he possesses Belthazor and fights the Charmed sisters. Andras is destroyed by Belthazor when they split and the Charmed ones defeat Belthazor. He then is summoned by the Triad.

"Power Outage" is a great episode of this irregular series. The situation of Cole, a demon in love with a good witch that he is supposed to kill, is intriguing and attractive. With the fate of the Triad, the next episodes are promising.moreless

very good episode.

By HaveSumFaith, Feb 19, 2008

this is such a good episode. we see cole dealing with the fact that maybe he cant kill phoebe. the triad sent him to kill the sisters, but when it comes down to it, he cant. so cole finds a demon who will turn the sisters anger into rage. they are all pushing each other aside and getting the other mad. little sister arguments. but with the demon. they get so angry that they use their powers against each other. they ruin the power of three. and of course phoebe runs to cole. he had the oppurtunity to kill her, but didnt. after all that fighting, and such, cole is sent to the triad. they were about to kill him for failing in his mission. he kills them first. so the question is, what will happen from there?? will he still try to kill the sisters??

again, this was a really good episode. not only was it a new story, but a great ending.moreless

Load More Reviews