Secrets And Guys

Episode Reviews (19)

Great

Whole thing could've been avoided.

By bbch25, May 26, 2015

I like the episode I guess, I understood the father not going to the police and Prue not saying anything to Andy when he questioned her at Bucklands but once she knew Max's location why not call Andy? She KNEW the bad guys were human, she KNEW he didn't have that great of control over his powers, go in with a bunch of cops and what the hell is going to happen? Oh that they arrest the two bad guys and nobody knows anything about any magic because none would've been used? I mean she acts like she's so cautious but going to Andy in the first place and talking about dreams was stupider and less plausible than going in and saying "I thought I'd try talking to the dad because I'm not a cop and he gave me a lead" or you know anonymous tip!

The situation with the chef made no sense, she's a manager by definition they are allowed to fire people and if she can't fire him she can sure as hell demote him or schedule him to have no shifts. That is what the manager does. But I like the story with Leo here, him and Piper are always cute together. Although you want to 'break up' with someone and when she says 'Engaged' so you hesitate and say 'involved' like what? How hard is it to say 'I'm single, but my job is far and have to move further' like that's actually the truth on some level.

Fashion - did find the little pink jacket Phoebe was wearing quite cute and it suited her complexion and body perfectly.

No - surprisingly not many people were huge nono's this episode. That comes later with Paige though (oh god the Paige wardrobes).moreless

Hey, Leo is back, for a show. Apparently he can't just... hang around.

By iltarion, Jun 11, 2011

This episode is partially saved from a lame main plot by a much better subplot involving Leo momentarily being back. It is somewhat preposterous that Leo would do something as careless as levitate to change a light bulb, but it was a good scene and hilarious that the bulb in his hand stayed lit. Some reviewers seem to have forgotten that Leo does have that power, though there is usually light involved with his levitation. It is also shown in Season 4 that Leo has the ability to "restore" inanimate objects, which means it is at least possible that he could restore the heat to a coffee cup or the water to a glass that used to be full. Obviously, the telekinesis he used from Wicca Envy had to go. That's Prue's power. Anyway, so here is where Whitelighters are introduced. The Elders are also introduced though Leo calls them the Founders here. Also, this is the first time that Piper and Leo's love is set up as a forbidden love. That is a storyline that will dominate Season 2. Alyssa Milano as Phoebe is terrific throughout, and her and Leo's scene at Quake is perhaps the best scene in the episode. I am still having a hard time getting over how gorgeous Alyssa is during the latter half of this first season. Her acting is sensational as well. She has really become the star of the season for me at this point. Piper's reaction to Leo leaving again is somewhat understandable considering he was just gone, but it doesn't lead well into the next time we see Leo, where all of a sudden Piper is in love with him.

Piper's subplot involving the obnoxious chef was about worthless other than giving Piper a reason to use her power once.

The main plot this week involving Prue, a boy witch, and a couple thieves is pretty irksome. How did the thieves know the boy had this power again? And the thieves are also pretty unconcerned with Prue's power. What good is wiring the boy if Prue can just pull the detonator out of the thief's hand? And apparently they are also unaware that the power of telekinesis could be used to simply stop their hearts from beating. Chris could abuse them of that notion. Anyway, since Prue does nothing, the boy's father gets shot, and only by the grace of Leo is his life saved, which was a very good scene. But if not for Leo, Prue would have some blame since certainly she could have done something long before that. As evident by the fact that she has the boy disable the bomb wired to him after they get into the bank vault. I would think that could have been done like a long time back. Anyway, it was a good ending though, with Prue locking the thieves in the vault. This is the second episode in a row where Prue was pretty much on her own. This is also the third time already this first season where the bad guys were mere humans, kind of a 1st season thing.

The final scene in the attic is a classic. Already the three actresses have created such a great chemistry together.moreless

A young boy is kidnapped and Prue assists. Meanwhile, a secret is revealed about Leo Wyatt.

By Lady_Lancaster, Nov 03, 2010

A young boy with magical powers is kidnapped and held hostage. He manges to contact The Charmed Ones via the Spirit Board which they regularly use. Prue, who is not particularly fond of children, nonetheless steps in to assist.

The girls had to find out eventually that there was something 'different' or 'special' about Leo Wyatt and it is Phoebe who uncovers his secret. Turns out he is a Whitelighter, a protector and mentor of 'good' witches. Phoebe, naturally, is a little freaked out by this but Alyssa Milano plays Phoebe so superbly that just about everything she says and does in the early seasons is funny. Not so much later on ...

I REALLY wanted to like this episode, but, I didn't it just felt forced and flat to me and I found the script very boring and most of the acting not much better. Not one I'd recommend.moreless

A young witch is kidnapped to pull a bank heist. Somehow he manages to contact Prue on the sisters Spirit Board. She contacts Andy and through his father she finds Max. Leo returns and a big secret is revealed to Phoebe and Piper has problems at work.

By jyarter, Jul 12, 2009

So we finally get to find out the truth about Leo and its a major blockbuster. Leo is a White Lighter or Guardian Angel for good witches and he reports to a group of leaders called the Founders. The only problem is that he can't fraternize with the witches so he has to leave for good. He needs to tell Piper but even with Phoebe's "help" he never is able to really tell her. In the end Phoebe does reveal the secret to Piper and Prue but they just laugh and tell her she should write children books.

Mickey Jackson is a bad guy through and through. Bradford Tatum plays the part to a T. He and his partner Harry played by Will Stewart kidnap Max played by David Netter right from under his father played by Robert Gossett. The threat is don't tell the police and they will retun him for school on Monday.

Of course they don't understand that he is a witch and he has the power of telekinesis so he manages to unknowingly contact the sisters through their Spirit Board by moving the pointer. Prue starts searching for Max. In the meantime Piper is having a problem with her new chef who is a real jerk. He throws out her knives and then decides to change the menu with no discussion. In the end she wins when he quits but its a day long battle for superiority. Prue finds Max through Andy and is knocked out after a short fight. When she comes to they have her tied up and are ready to have Max do his stuff. His father shows up. They spirit Max and Prue into the back of the van and Mickey shoots Mr. Franklin in the chest. This is the second person he has shot today almost killing a security guard earlier in the day.

Prue saves the day in the end and Leo saves Mr. Franklin. Max and his dad finally bond over what is important and Prue learns a major life lesson. Overall it is a very satisfying ending. Thanks for reading...moreless

A Witch In Need

By lenzinoH20, Jun 03, 2008

Secrets and Guys-Prue helps a young witch who has been kidnapped, and renews her own faith in having children. Meanwhile, Phoebe finds out that Leo is really a guardian angel for good witches, and this causes Leo to break up with Piper.

A great dramatic episode that sees Prue coming to the add of a young witch. The writers create a wondeful character in the form of Max, who is played very well by David Netter. Usually child actors are either really good or really awful but David does an outstanding job of conveying a child who is confused about a destiny that was forced on him. I liked the idea of male witches and David's power of pyschokinesis is a very inventive. Shannen Doherty excels throughout as Prue becomes David unlikely hero when become trapped under 2 bank robbers. Shannen and David are great in their scenes together, especially when Prue and Max talk about being witches. Both Mickey and Harry make for some good villains as it's always refreshing to have mortal enemies for an hour than the usual energy throwing demons. It's nice that we have smart villais who had a good plan and great ways of forcing Prue and Max to use their magic to gain what they want to do. Robert Gossett is as great as Max's father as he completely convinces as a father so overwhelmed about his son's destiny and the situation his put in. The sub-plot was also well done as Phoebe finds out Leo is whitelighter in a hilarious scene where she catches him floating in the air. The introduction and explaintion of a whitelighter is exciting, although some of Leo's mythos and powers about whitelighters are inconsistent (the heating power, witches not suppose to know about their whitelighters etc.) But of course, this can forgotten as the writers were still coming up with their own mythology for the series. Both Alyssa and Brian were great together througout, especially when Phoebe is coaching Leo on how to break up with Piper the right way. The acutal break-up is great scene with Piper trying to taking control of the situation and letting Leo down easy. Also, the scene where Leo heals Max's father is a beautiful scene and Brian is great in that scene, despite seeming a bit "Touch by an Angel"-eqse. All and All, "Secrets and Guys" is a great episode with a emotional main plot and a very entertaining sub-plot.moreless

The Power of Light has come to help The Charmed Ones

By Angel200489, Aug 29, 2007

When the young witch Max is kidnapped by two thieves to use his power to heist a bank, he communicates with Prue through a Ouija Board, and she helps the boy. Meanwhile, Piper is having trouble with the new chef of Quake, and the handyman Leo returns to help the Halliwell sisters to fix the chandelier. When Phoebe sees him floating in the air, he discloses that he is a Whitelighter, the guardian of good witches assigned to protect the Halliweel sisters, and he was not allowed to fall in love for a witch as he did for Piper. He asks Phoebe to keep the secret, while he tries to find the best way to end his relationship with Piper.

"Secrets and Guys" is an underrated episode of "Charmed" with two good stories. The lead one, about the boy Max, is flawed, since Prue discloses her ability to the criminals, and they do not die in the end, therefore jeopardizing Max and Prue's secrets. The parallel one, also very entertaining, about the powers of Leo and his impossible love for Piper.moreless

Prue comes to the aid of a male witch who has been kidnapped by thugs in order to exploit his power of psychokenesis in order to rob a bank. Meanwhile Phoebe discovers Leo's secret identity

By GCT89, Aug 19, 2007

A very underatted episode. Secrets and Guys contains a great storyline plot as well as great acting from all of the cast. Shannen Doherty owned this episode with her superb acting (quite obvious that she enjoyed filming this episode). What also makes the episode great is that the danger Prue is placed in is very real and you generally have a heightened sense that she may not be able to pull through.

The subplot involving Phoebe discovering Leo's secret is also well acted and quite humorous- we discover Leo's secret identifty as a whitelighter, which is a guardian angel of witches, also the fact that love between a whitelighter and a witch is strictly prohibited. I enjoyed the part where Phoebe was giving Leo tips of ending a relatioship, it's obvious she has had lots of experiences in these types of situations. The part where Piper guessed thet Leo was breaking up with her was also enjoyable to watch

The one thing I didn't understand is that when Phoebe spilled Leo's secret out to Prue and Piper, they did not believe her even though they have faced loads of evil and magical creaturesmoreless

The talented Mr Wyatt

By Blinksterboy, Jun 16, 2007

After three weeks away, and with Ted King's character stuck firmly in a rut, it's great to see Brian Krause back and in the thick of the action. This is the first of a fairly small number of Leo based episodes, and the first to bring us the concept of whitelighters.

The way Leo is outed by Phoebe is well handled, and scene of the week has to be where the two of them are at Quake discussing how best to tell Piper he cannot see her any more. Quality stuff!

The writers do, however, go way over the top with his powers. Not only can he orb and heal, but he can levitate, produce heat and light, and magic water out of thin air. If whitelighters are this powerful, why do they need witches to do their dirty work for them? It also seems odd that whitelighters can be frozen. I'm guessing this is because the writers hadn't come up with them when Leo first appeared on the show.

This week's baddie plot sees a couple of robbers kidnapping a young witch so they can use his power to break into a bank. His power seems a little odd - he can move small objects but only when he cannot see them - but it does show that witches can be male, black and under sixteen. Prue goes to his rescue and ends up realising she wants kids herself.

Piper doesn't have a whole lot to do in this episode and spends much of her time quarrelling with a cocky new cook at Quake. I bet they had to film that scene where she catches the order papers so many times!

Although there is plenty going on in this episode, it seems a little disconnected and, for me, doesn't quite hit the mark.moreless

This was an interesting episode, we got to find out more about Leo, who he really is.

By wan_ching, Jun 02, 2007

Wow it answers our question with the episode Wicca Envy as Leo used his power on the book and he teleport out at the end. I was wondering who he was. This episode was ok, but I really like the scene with Phoebe and Leo.

In this episode Phoebe got to find out who Leo was. Lol it was funny I love that. Leo was being very careless. It was funny Leo sorta broken off with Piper and Piper didn’t seem to mind that much. It was cool!!!moreless

Load More Reviews