Something Wicca This Way Goes

Episode Reviews (90)

Superb

Something Wicca This Way Goes

By TrueTvWatcher, May 19, 2012

Something Wicca This Way Goes was a superb season 7 finale of Charmed and it also felt as if it could have been a series finale. I really enjoyed watching because the story continues from the last episode now that Zankou has the Book of Shadows and Homeland Security is closing in on the sisters. There was a lot of character and plot development as the story was well written. There were a few interesting surprises and turn of events. The ending was interesting and had a feel good vibe to it. I look forward to watching the 8th and final season!!!!!!!moreless

The Charmed Ones' Last Stand

By lenzinoH20, Oct 04, 2011

Something Wicca This Way Goes-When the sisters try to divert Zankou's attention from the Nexus, he hatches a plan to absorb all their powers. However, when the girls realize what Zankou is up to, they are faced with a life-altering decision: sacrifice their powers or their lives.

Feeling like a series finale, "Something Wicca This Way Goes" is the best finale since "All Hell Breaks Loose". The stakes are high against the sisters, like they haven't had since the Source and it really feels like they won't make it in the end. One thing I love about the episode are all the references from the past 7 years like Quake, theconfidencespell, Andy, Phoebe turning into a Banshee and so many others. It gives a great sense ofnostalgia, making the episode feel even more like a series finale. Zankou really proves to be one of the finest villains of the series as he always remains two steps ahead of the sisters' in this episode as he uses to the Book to steal their powers and take the Nexus in. The sisters are really put in a tough position and I'm glad that they end up being alone in the end to stop Zankou, even realizing that sacrificing themselves is the only way to save the day. It was great to see Victor again and it makes sense that Piper and Phoebe would trust their father totake care ofWyatt and Chris. The goodbye scene between the sisters and the boys was really heartbreaking especially Piper breaking apart while holding little Chris. The final confrontation between Zankou and the Charmed Ones is action-packed, I especially loved the brief moment where the sisters surround the book, hold hands and chant "The Power of 3, Will Set Us Free". It's probably one of my favorite moments from Charmed and seeing that spell used again is a reminder of what the series wasinitially: 3 strong, independent women/sisters who happen to be witches. It was nice to be reminded of that during the final moments (or what seemed like at the time) of the series. Zankou's vanquish (as well as the Nexus) was awesome and the way the sisters' death is left as a mystery for a few moments is handled well.

I also surprisingly love how Sheridan's plot with Homeland Security. Sheridan's death by Zankou was actually intense ( not to mention, long overdo!) Watching SWAT teams, the police, etc. surrounding the manor was definitely reminiscent of "All Hell Breaks Loose", especially when they all storm the house after the sisters' vanquish Zankou. The sisters' eventual reveal was indeed surprising and I found their plan to fake their deaths actually a decent way to end the story. They get normal lives, don't have to worry about anyone trying to expose them again and demons coming after them anymore. I also liked the moment of Darryl realizing that the sisters were alive but it's kind of bittersweet since this is Darryl's finalappearanceon Charmed. It's a shame because Darryl deserved to be apart of the "real" series finale and the reason for Darryl notappearingnext season is just insulting! Anyway, despite a good finale, there are some glaring flaws that stop it from being great. 1) Those stupid magical creatures return yet again and seeing Zankou turning into a pig with his head still normal....O_0 Just No! 2) The writers once against forget their previously establishedmythology! Vampires are immune to the powers of witches yet Piper, Paige and Phoebe easily kill a couple of bats with their powers! 3) The page to call for a witch's power was ripped out of the book, yet it looks perfectly fine! Yeah, I know it was another reference to the past but it's like the writers can't seem to remember the little things and that's kind of annoying when fans can! All and All, 'Something Wicca This Way Goes" is a good send-off to Charmed, if it was in fact the final episode. It definitely wraps up the series better than the real final episode did. Next stop, Season 8....*shivers*moreless

THE ENDING THAT NEVER WAS

By Blinksterboy, Jan 10, 2009

The ending that never was

Another cracker from Brad Kern. Love him or hate him, you have to admit he does write some storming instalments. There's stacks of action in this one and, with it being the season finale, you really do feel anything could happen.

With Zankou controlling both the Manor and the Book, and with most of the world's police lined up outside, the whole hour has a dark inevitability which hasn't been seen since Charmed and Dangerous. Seeing the girls say goodbye to their father really brings this home. And what an ending! Writing an episode which may or may not have been the last ever was always going to be tough but Brad's solution leaves the door ajar just enough for the sisters to be able to come back. That last scene, with Darryl watching as the Charmed Ones walk away from their old lives, is a classic.

As this might have been the last episode, there were always bound to be plenty of retro moments. Phoebe's mention of Quake has to be the best, and the astral projection is a nice nod to Prue. On the downside, the effects are kind of average and we are forced to endure yet more ridiculous magical creatures, although seeing so many of them die is rather satisfying. As for Zankou turning into a pig, I'm just going to pretend that never happened.

The Homeland Security plot works well, and creates some useful threads for Season Eight. After a year and a half of tormenting the Charmed Ones, Inspector Sheridan finally gets her comeuppance when she is zapped by Zankou. Showing her demise through her own hidden camera is very cool and just a little freakish.

I'm so glad Darryl gets to go out on a high. Dorian Gregory has been one of the unsung heroes of this show and it's great to see him so involved in his final week. He even gets the last line. Charmed will never be the same again. Final body count for the season stands at an impressive 119, comprising 98 demons, 13 vampires, 6 pirates, 1 half-demon and 1 mortal. Of these, 58 are vanquished by the Charmed Ones, 21 by Leo, 9 by Zankou and 31 by various others.

Seven down, one to go!

Score: 9.5moreless

By ParkPlace2623, May 28, 2008

This episode was so amazing. It was an amazing seventh season finale. I enjoyed watching this episode so much. It seemed so much like a series finale. It was very well written. I loved this episode so much. The ending was just perfect. The sisters were under their new identities, and everyone thought they were dead, but they really weren't. But now demons don't know who they are, nor do people. It was perfect. I loved it. This episode alone could have gotten the show another seven seasons, but didn't. It still had a good run, though. This episode is one of the many great installments to this amazing series.moreless

A season finale to remember...

By stefan26sept, May 10, 2008

This episode offers more than I have ever even expected!

I mean it's sooo original, so authentic, so emotional..

I was really sad that the sisters thought they're going to die, the way they were making plans to vanquish Zankou with the Nexus.

I really cried hard when Piper was saying goodbye to her sons (question: why does Victor get to keep the boys and the manor and the club? Doesn't it make sense that Leo will take care of the boys and live in the manor, possibly even manage the club?)

All in all, great episode, great acting, great season final, I can't wait to download season 8!moreless

The series finale that thankfully wasn't

By astralguy87, Feb 22, 2008

I agree with a lot of the reviewers here who said this was phenomenal as a season finale, but just probably may have missed the cut to make a series finale. I haven't been much of a religious follower of Charmed after season 4 and 5, but lately I've been watching a lot episodes here and there people recommend, and this was one of them.

The episode cuts right into the action...Zankou has the house and Book of Shadows and basically they're trying to figure out a way to stop him before he absorbs the Woogy--err I mean, Nexus and becomes psychotically powerful. They can only do so much from magic school (wow I still can't get over how much I disliked the concept of magic school from the beginning) and decide that if they can get him to focus on them instead of the Nexus, they just might have the chance.

This is where I had the problem with Zankou. He himself tells another henchdemon that you can't go up against the Charmed Ones directly, yet falls EXACTLY for this when he gets distracted/provoked enough to go after them. The other guy who warned him would have had a better chance at defeating the Charmed Ones than him.

Eventually there's a scene where Piper and her sisters go to Victor and leave him with the papers for the kids, deeds for P3 and the house. Besides being a very touching and wow this might be the end scene, it gave a more realistic touch to the show that often ignores real-life details like that. It didn't feel like just another would be magical and bring back to life dead would be coming, it felt real. Piper as mother does this scene wonderfully.

Exposure. People complain it has been overdone in this show, and it has been to an extent. And although nothing would be match how shocking and nerve wracking exposure was in All Hell Breaks Loose, the job was done pretty well here. I wasn't too familiar with that Inspector Lady before (I'm guessing she was a hated character), but her death scene was suspenseful and it reminded me of Andy's own death in the manor because of the sudden way it happened (although Andy was a lot more well loved of a character obviously). Which leads me to my next point.

Allusions to the past. There was this scene in magic school where they were listing all the different ways they might solve their conflict, making allusions to previous episodes and seasons. However it didn't feel natural to me because it felt like they were randomly listing things for the sake of listing them, kinda like "remember that time when this? remember that time when that?". A later reference to Quake and the confidence spell was one of the more better winks. So was the Andy/Rodriguez (among other) files at the police station. I'm wondering why there was a file for a Gordon. I hope it isn't THE Dan Gordon, but oh well haha. I finally feel sorry for Darryl since you finally realize how much he has put on the line for the girls, including a family.

Spirit of Prue. Ok this part kind of annoyed me as it annoyed other fans. Leaving aside the concept of whether you can "learn a power" (might be remotely possible, I think Phoebe might have used a spell to induce one before), the execution and back story behind it was done poorly. Prue randomly taught Leo who then taught the sisters, because "she was really protective of it" (makes her sound like a greedy power hogger). Paige was able to use her powers in astral form which was also dumb. Good idea, badly written.

The end scene with the swat teams was suspenseful, though the ending killed it for me. The worst thing you could do on a TV show is recast someone, even if temporarily. The whole let's pretend we're dead and start over stuff was really dumb and would have been a total let down to the substance of the original show had this really been a series finale. I mean talk about writing yourself into a corner with that kind of plot obstacle.

And finally, an unknown presence "zings" the door shut, presumed to be the presence of Prue, into a much more hated (but necessary) season that should bring better closure.moreless

Don't get me wrong - I liked it, but this and the last episode took way too long to get anywhere, and for what might have been the last episode ever, it didn't deliver as much as it could have.

By qstevie, Feb 03, 2008

I know the writer was in a bit of a bind, not being sure whether the series would continue and having to come up with something that would make a neat ending if it didn't, but could be manipulated to go on with the story if it did. However, there is something lacking in the whole finale - including the previous episode. It just seems to take an awfully long time to get where it's going and there are a lot of inconsistencies. The reason the book was able to be taken was because the sisters doubted themselves - yet once they realised what was going on that doubt disappeared. They seemed pretty confident to me about what they were doing, even if they didn't know exactly how they'd do it. And in previous episodes, when some evil thingy has managed to get hold of the book it still couldn't leave the house because it was connected to that too.

And Zankou just takes far too long to actually DO anything. Sure there are fights and all that good stuff, which is great, but having absorbed the Nexus, only to have it cast out of him, he seems to think that spending a lot of time trying to get the witches powers is the only way to go. He doesn't need those powers to take the Nexus, he could have easily have used the power-stripping spell from the book, which is miraculously still in there despite having supposedly been destroyed a couple of seasons back.

And when he is tricked by their astral projections - despite having Phoebe's power, which is supposed to help him know what the witches are planning - he doesn't just zap to the attic - no he gives them time to get there, look for a spell (which they don't seem to find before the SWAT teams arrive that they spend ages staring down at despite more pressing matters) and only then turns up to blast a hole in the ceiling and roof, giving the Charmed Ones somehow time to find a place to hide and sleep so they can astrally project again, trick him again and blow up the basement.

And that 'huge' explosion doesn't even damage the flower beds!

No, it was good and it was exciting in places, and the touching scene with dad when they think they might not make it back is a nice tough. But overall it ended with a fairly loud whimper when it needed a great big bang.moreless

If it's a great season finaleXd At Last a entire episode of fight! Great ideas and scenes! It's not boring at all! So not-stop! But if this would have been the show finale...show...what a bad episode then...no??

By Lostfinding, Jul 08, 2007

Despite the fact that It could have been better... this episode deserves a good rate for the fine example as a season finale! The work was well done, there's not a boring scene at all!

Camera Job: This episode has a really special scenes (When the vampires came down a attack the girls, when they get the book again, etc...) we have a thing that never has been done before in Charmed (At least no with this intention)... Movement Cameras!! We can see it the first scene in magic school! (This cameras are not "fixed" so they image keep moving while there're shooting! That makes the audience get nuts!! and nervous!! so you can be relax at the scene. Those kinds of movements are so caracteristic id "24"! Xd) Acting job: Well done, Piper had to say good bye to her children... It's a great scene! And Zankou did it so well!!

Other things: The effects were great! The SWAT! people! The SWAT! Isn't that so great to a finale!!! and the explosion... was a original idea!

The bad thing... The freaky *** fairys.... (Wouldn't have been a great season finale with a extreme killing of all fairies in the world Xd...??? I would do it!! Xd) At least they could have done a better fairy more like the wicca ones! Not a pink one! It sounds such a little girl!! And the astral proyection and the glamour thing... To much, I think... They could never do that that way... "Thank Prue teach Leo how to do it..." When I hear that...gets my nerve. It's as if they say "thank god Piper showed Leo how to blo things up!!!" It so so so silly! It was her power, they should do it that way (or at least no say that prue teach it!) And how the ** the can glamour!!??

To end... A great episode, a great story!! A great season finale.

PD: I think this episode as serie finale would have been so wrong, the charmed ones ignoring the inocents lifes! "let them die..." i think they never could do that! And a a serie finale was so...slow, weak! A serie must end with something bigger!!!moreless

OMG, the series finale, no wait it isn't but it should have been.

By super_friend21, Apr 16, 2007

What an excellent season finale, the third best after 'All Hell Breaks Loose' and 'Kill Billie Vol. 2/Forever Charmed'. The ending was phenomenal, it really was, I mean seeing the Nexus and Zankou blow up was amazing, seeing them in different identities was fun and everyone thinking their dead was a shocker.

When the sisters try to divert Zankou's attention from the Nexus, he hatches an ingenious plan to absorb all of their powers. However, when the girls realize what Zankou is up to, (I mean come on, they're not stupid) they are forced with a life-altering decision: sacrifice their powers or their lives.moreless

Load More Reviews