Still Charmed & Kicking

Episode Reviews (71)

Great

Still Charmed & Kicking

By TrueTvWatcher, May 19, 2012

Still Charmed & Kicking was a good episode of Charmed and I enjoyed watching as the Sisters continue to maintain their cover and pretend to be cousins. I liked how demons wasted no time trying to gain control of the manor from Victor. Paige struggles to reconcile her new life and identity with who she really is. A mysterious kick a$$ warrior witch makes an appearance and saves lives a few times. It looks like this season is going to be a little crazy. I look forward to watching what happens next!!!!!moreless

Still Charmed and Tacky

By lenzinoH20, Oct 08, 2011

Still Charmed and Kicking-After being presumed dead, the Halliwell sisters begin their demon-free existence with new identities: Phoebe is overwhelmed with visions of her future husband; Paige begins hearing her whitelighter call, which draws her to a mysterious young witch; Piper attempts to deal with her financial situation, the club and her children. Meanwhile, a brash young demon decides that he wants the Halliwell manor as a trophy and plots to kill Victor to get to it.

So.....after what should have been the series finale in Season 7, The WB at the time decided "hey this show making us some good money, why not renew it for one more time and suck the life out of it even more!" Thus we have Season 8, the worst season of the series, possibly one of the worst season of television history! How else to you explain the unbearable void of quality this season has? Thanks to Brad's special deal with The WB to make this happen, the budget for the series was cut in half, Leo is only present for only 10 episodes this year, Darryl was completely dropped from the series....and worst of all, Billie! Yes, the character that pretty muchsolidifiedthis season's badness! How else do you explain her beyond laughable debut in this premiere with her tacky costume? Looking like a cross between a Matrix reject and a prostitute, every scene with Billie in this episode (and the next) sees her doing some cheap moves and spewing out corny one-liners backed by a cheesy soundtrack like she's supposedly some badass or something when I all I do is turn away from the screen. I honesty find it hard to believe that this random, new witch can effectively hunt and kill demons is she barely knows what a witch is in the first place yet the writers make it seem like being a witch is piece of cake!

The episode is actually not as bad as I remember it. The family moments with the sisters, Leo, Victor and Grams are actually pretty good. It's nice to know the new identities the sisters are taking on won't we easy and is already showing some consequences like Wyatt not being able to tell who is mother is when Piper's in disguise. I loved how each sister handles their new life differently, Paige hears the cries of a new charge and doesn't know whether to expose herself orignorethe call while Piper is having seconds thoughts, worried about the consequences and Phoebe is all to excited to start a life a new! It's really ironic considering Phoebe was the most embracing of being a witch back in the early years, sure a lot has changed since then and so has Phoebe (not in a good way), but it's bittersweet moment knowing the fact. Grams of course is unhappy about the girls' decision, in a rare scene where we see her and Paige bonding. Though is makes me wonder, if Grams knows, then how come the Elders don't? How exactly did the sisters "cloak"themselvesfrom higher beings like the Elders? Speaking of them, I love the scene where Victor stands up to one of the Elders when they decide to take the Wyatt and Chris away from him. It's a strong moment for Victor, showing just how much he's changed since he left the sisters when he was younger. This is a man committed to his family now and will do whatever it takes to protect them. I also liked the moment were Wyatt (who turns out to be Piper) unleashes his powers on a new breed of demons trying to kill Victor. It's a great SFX sequence watching Piper blowing up demons and freezing energy balls all over the place, just showing how powerful she is. Though I have to wonder this sudden glamouring power Piper and Phoebe have are kinda random. I'm sure it's just a glamouring spell that mimics Paige's glamouring power but the way they do it all the time is kinda annoying. Anyway, the demon plot is not worth mentioning, just know the main demon of the week finds out the Charmed Ones are alive, leading into next episode. Not to mention, Jason Lewis's debuts as another spot in Phoebe's lists "one shot love interests" as Dex. More on that non-relationship new episode. All and All, 'Still Charmed and Kicking" is an overall mediocre opening with some good family scenes but weak villains, a horrible debut by Billie and nagging plot points.moreless

Terrible. Terrible, TERRIBLE! how this ridiculous show has lasted this long is simply unbelievable. Shows like buffy, angel, friends, firefly, trucalling are off the air, but this piece of garbage is still on. a disgrace to television everywhere. a true

By inferno272, Apr 29, 2011

this show went from pretty darn good the first ~5 years to painful to watch the last 2ish years. silly stuff like nymphs and trolls and mermaids and mummies, and terribly written lines, delivered by decent yes, unbelievably attractive actresses is the entire 2 years summed up. NOTHING has happened, nothing ground breaking, NOTHING, and this year starts off the same. handsome guys, revealing dresses and predictable, half witted plots.

i truly hope this show is taken off the air before it can sink any lower.moreless

The Three [fresh] Faces of the Halliwells

By MovieMark, Jul 21, 2010

As season premieres go...No, wait...as season premieres of Charmed go, this one isn't half bad. After such a fantastic end to season seven, the execs at the WB felt that they could milk a bit more from this supernatural cash cow, with a few notable changes, of course: a slashed budget, a new, fresh-faced Wicca, and more emphasis on the sisters, as opposed to magic.

To be perfectly honest with you, Brad Kern manages to meet these requests quite admirably: the girls are trying to reconfigure their demon-free lives (by going shopping, of course! Nothing says 'hello, new life' like a new pair of shoes!); the FX work is actually pretty effective and used sparingly enough, and this mysterious kick-ass Wicca certainly ticks off the intriguing column for the time being (the cheesy music and questionable outfit only adding to the entertainment value).

The arcs that are set in place could have been stronger (Phoebe sees herself marrying a complete stranger; Paige can't stop hearing a ringing noise in her head; and Piper...is just there). The main one, of course, is that the Charmed Ones are considered deceased. Fineto. Six Feet Under.

Phoebe comes up with a spell that allows them to project a false image of their desired look to the outside world (save for loved ones, like Wyatt and Chris) so that they can pretend to be cousins of the Halliwells, which is a neat idea, but I have one gripe: the actresses playing our leads at the beginning of the episode absolutely NAIL Piper and Phoebe, so it's a pity that we have new versions, which look nothing like our gals (which, I suppose, IS the point: but, c'mon, what's with the hair -- Piper's hair is down, but her projection's is up, and Phoebe's is the exact opposite).

It's a frilly-nilly episode, but it certainly manages to focus on the Halliwell family, which is more than welcomed. And not just the sisters, but Grams and Victor share reasonable screen-time -- something I'd like to see more of. Light-hearted fun, but perhaps a little too exposition heavy for its own good.moreless

The Charmed Ones deal with their new identities and still fighting evil. Starring: Alyssa Milano, Rose McGowan, and Holly Marie Combs as "Piper", Kaley Cuoco, Brian Krause

By budde22, Apr 13, 2009

The Charmed Ones return for their eighth and final season, and they started out with a bang. The Charmed Ones assuming one identity seperate from their own but allowing their family such as Wyatt (guest stars Kristoffer and Jason Simmons) and Victor (guest star James Read). I liked the idea and it was a smart solution to the problem at hand. I loved how Paige (Rose McGowan) came in as Janice Dickinson (guest starred as herself) for her funeral. It was fantastic and a real funny moment to how much Paige really never got out. Paige continued to get a call from her charge showed that even though the Charmed Ones have a different identity they will never fully get away from their magical lives. The character of Billie Jenkins (Kaley Cuoco) was introduced in this episode and i liked how she was strong but u definitely could tell that she did not have much experience. I also enjoyed the whole Alias thing that she had going on, it was cool. Phoebe (Alyssa Milano) meets another love interest Dex (guest star Jason Lewis). I don't like how Phoebe can never manage to keep a man. She just goes through them like tissues and i thought that some from previous seasons should have stuck, and the only real relationship she had on the show was Cole (former star Julian McMahon). The way the Charmed Ones fought and defeated the demon was fantastic. It was clever, something that i believe makes the Charmed Ones more than just a physical fight, like we have seen many times before. The idea was fantastic and i think that putting Piper (Holly Marie Combs) in the line of fire was great. Brian Krause also stars as Leo.moreless

WHAT'S MY NAME AGAIN?

By Blinksterboy, Jan 11, 2009

What's my name again?

Wow! Much better than expected. After reading all the gripes and moans about Season Eight I was expecting something along the lines of "A Call to Arms" but this is excellent. Like my favourite season opener, "Charmed Again", the sisters are trying to piece their lives together following a family upheaval. Brad Kern hangs a number of clever subplots off this: Victor has taken ownership of the house and is targeted by demons, Paige complains to Grams that she has no life outside magic, Phoebe foresees her own wedding and a strange chick clad in PVC makes an appearance.

While I know Billie becomes something of a hate figure later in the season, you can't deny she is good value at this early stage. Is she a demon? Is she a witch? Intriguing stuff. It's also about time we had TK back as a power - four years without seeing weapons flying into someone's grasp is way too long on a supernatural show. I thought the outfit and the music were great fun, and added a little light relief to the story.

Considering the budget cuts we've all heard so much about, the effects are very good this week. A lot of effort has gone into the vanquishes, with some of the demons turning to bones through the flames. Neat touch! The scenes with the mirrors also work well, with no obvious goofs and some excellent editing. There are also some reasonable guest slots (this episode has more actors credited than any other). I've no idea who Janice Dickinson is so that was completely lost on me!

The fight scenes are well directed and have a pace which has been lacking lately - makes me realise how much we miss Phoebe's kicking and levitating. I particularly liked Piper disguising herself as Wyatt. Very cool idea and totally brilliant to watch. I'm also impressed they managed to get the little guy to do something other than stand there in silence - it probably took heaven knows how many attempts to get right but it really works.

For the first time in a while I really can't wait to see the next episode. Bring it on!

Score: 9.4moreless

The exact reason I watch this series is because it is so unpredictable.

By sachi25, Jun 04, 2008

I am an impressed viewer. I feel that this show brings the drama and excitement to our daily lives as viewers. They kick ass as good witches! I really feel that Charmed is incredibly intense and spiritual. Can you imagine having to vanquish demons all day and work, then find time to sleep? I can barely find time to cook. I just have to say I really love this show, and have all 8 seasons on DVD at home. Currently I am up to Season 7, and totally loving it! Well back to Charmed for now. Phoebe, Paige, and Piper are the best!

Thanks,

Sachi25moreless

The Charmed Ones has been presumed dead, but they can still kill demons...

By Danny2312, Jan 06, 2008

The first episode in the eighth season. After the season seven finale, I thought there's no new season anymore, obviously I'm wrong. GOOD EPISODE, love it.

Piper Halliwell and Phoebe Halliwell attend their funeral to see what people respond (and of course they hide their identity), they suddenly, Janice Dickinson shows up, turns up to be Paige Matthews.

Later on, Paige gets those "ring" in her head, her whitelighters power. Victor Benneth, father of Piper and Phoebe, meets a demon who wants to take over the house. Victor finds out he is in danger and the sisters help to protect him. First, Piper turns into baby Wyatt and used her power to kill the demons, but she accidenly warned the demons that the Charmed Ones may be alive.moreless

Since when does Paige not have any friends?

By limegreenscream, Oct 02, 2007

Since when did Paige not have any friends? They changed her character so drastically since they introduced her in season 4 and not really for the better. Some parts of this episode were so random and it wasn't exactly original, although I did like it, which is why Malice in Wonderland got rated better than this one.

It isn't one of those episodes that sticks in your mind, I have already forgotten what happened ;)

Basically the sisters funeral is held and the only magical beings that attend are the leprechauns. The demons come to check they are truly dead. Even the elders believe they are dead, but the thing is, can't the elders see and hear everything? Wouldn't they hear the plotting and see the sisters transform? Anyway the demons (some random ones, who knows..) want to steal the manor so they threaten the girls dad. We are introduced to "billie" who saves the day. Hmm.

B but glad to see a season 8!moreless