That Old Black Magic

Episode Reviews (16)

Great

Piper's foolish heart and the chosen nerd.

By iltarion, Jun 11, 2011

Unlike most, I really dig this episode. For me, this is the episode along with P3H20 that leverages the Leo/Piper/Dan love triangle and gets the most out of it.

I always approve of a hot female bad, and we got that here with the flame-haired Tuantha in her wonderful dress. Yes, Brigid Branagh plays arrogant better than evil, but I enjoy her turn here. It is possible viewers weren't so happy about a witch being more powerful than the Charmed Ones, since it goes against basic Charmed mythology, but the writers did a good job of showing that Tuantha's experience in the craft was her main advantage. Yes, the young actor playing Kyle was mostly wooden throughout, but he did seem to get into it more as the episode progressed and the tension built. The pep talk by Jenny was ridiculous, really, but I guess it gave her one last thing to do. In the end, I thought the final showdown was very riveting and the conclusion satisfying. Ultimately, Kyle made a great underdog that you were glad to see triumph.

Jack is introduced here, and he immediately adds to the episode. He is an excellent character played by a very entertaining actor. The only problem is that he is a terrible match for Prue. Fortunately, he isn't around long, and in this episode, we haven't gotten there yet. I love the shot where Jack talks to Prue about her "assets" and she gives him an absolutely smoldering look. That is one of my favorite Shannen moments. This episode also introduces scrying and the spell to take a witch's powers away. We will see both again. Clearly, the highlight of the episode is the love triangle, which is actually born at the end of it. The writers manage to get both humor and drama out of it. Brian is great throughout, as usual, and also as usual, he is best in the dramatic scenes with Piper, most notably the scene in the kitchen, which is an all time great Leo/Piper scene. I had originally come into this with great foreboding, but Dan's presence gives us a moody, regret-filled Piper and a ticked off Leo and that rarity is wonderful drama on its own. Piper's request that they take her heart because it gets her in trouble is a wonderful line and classic Piper. No matter how snappish, and sometimes unfair, Piper is, you always want to pull for her.

Leo, of course, opens the door for Piper and Dan by going the self-sacrificing route at the end. Fortunately, we all know it won't last long. Very enjoyable episode that is one of my favorites from Season 2.moreless

Blair witch on the loose!

By speedy2k5, Apr 18, 2011

Another interesting demon! Tuatha is an apparent invincible witch who, after being locked away in a lost cave for two-hundred years, seeks revenge on the person(s) who imprisoned her.

I absolutely hate the whole 'chosen one' subplot, all that seventh son of the seventh son was bullsh*t. The actor who plays Kyle is untalented and he spends the hour whining and feeling sorry for himself. He does himself no favours and annoys me more because it seems all he's after is pity and attention. It would have been a lot better if the girls had had a big battle with Tuatha with some cool explosions!

Shannen is great in this episode and I love the scene in which she comments on Jack's package. The scene in which Prue throws Tuatha through the door is fantastic - I'm not sure why but I always flip back to watch it again.

This episode, for me is when Dan starts to ruin the show. The whole love triangle thing starts in this episode and becomes old before it even starts. We also meet Jack Sheriden who goes on to become Prue's new love interest. I always liked Jack and it's a shame he left as quickly as he did.

A pretty average episode but I think would've been a lot better without Kyle.moreless

Find The Chosen One, break up with Leo, start a thing with Neighbour Dan - quite a busy- and very boring - week.

By Lady_Lancaster, Feb 26, 2011

The main plot of this episode; the fact that Leo and the girls have to find a young man known as The Chosen One to help them vanquish an evil with is just about completely secondary to the fact that Piper decides that now is the time for her to end her relationship with Whitelighter Leo and start seeing Neighbour Dan, a character who was brought into the show for obviously this purpose only and no other.

It's a shame that the writers didn't just leave things as they were. I have never been greatly enthused by Leo at all but Dan and his niece, Jenny, were just plain annoying and that was even worse. It doesn't really thrill me watching the whole Piper/Dan relationship unfold as I am certain that the writers could come up with something far more interesting.moreless

Despite its obvious premise and its reference to one of the most unintentionally hilarious movies ever I found this episode quite enjoyable

By AegisAtreyu, Jul 01, 2008

An Evil Witch trapped for 200 years is accidentally freed by an excited treasure hunter. She needs her wand though and sends her pet Snake to find it. At that current moment guess where the wand is, go on guess I bet you can't.

This was once again referencing shows like Buffy by having a Chosen one who is the only person alive to be able to defeat the witch. Question is how does the 7th son of the 7th Generation make her defeat look so easy. It's the build-up with him training that's entertaining (if a little bland). However, Jenny popping in and giving him the will to go on was so badly acted that I laughed my arse off. The wand itself is quite nice hence it ending up in an Antiques Roadshow type programme at Bucklands. Although that scene was more to do with Prue meeting someone who wanted to outdo her and yet learn from her in the appraisal business. He's pretty arrogant this character Jack and I also noticed he had an 'As' credit so I'm assuming he'll return. Could be interesting.

Anyway the Witch is suitably evil and its nice that for their still beating hearts she kills fans of the movie 'The Blair Witch Project'. I'm not a fan off that movie, in fact I thought it was one of the worst movies ever and unintentionally hilarious so that is fine by me. Was the show trying to make a statement or something though.

Lastly it's nice to see Brian Krause really taking the role of Leo to heart now, why hasn't this man got a main character credit (he deserves it much more than that Jenny kid). I'm sure he'll still be showing up even though Piper is now dating Dan. Funny when all three main male characters stood at the door together looking uncomfortable. Dan's jealousy was obvious but funny.moreless

That Old Boring Episode

By lenzinoH20, Jun 09, 2008

That Old Black Magic-The sisters must find and train the Chosen One to vanquish a powerful evil witch that could destroy them. More like a lame attempt as a parody of "The Blair Witch Project" than a dark, thrilling episode, "That Old Black Magic" just falls flat before the episode is over. Both the Chosen One and Tawatha plots are lackluster and suffer immensely from the 2 performers cast in the roles. Brigid Brannagh (Tuatha) is very underwhelming as the evil witch and just seems bored in the role for the most part. But it could also be that she's a mediorce actress as her work on "Angel" was also sub-par. Also, Tuatha is made out to be this powerful big bad witch, but she honestly becomes a parody of herself before episode end.

Jay Michael Ferguson (Kyle Gwydion) is just dull as Kyle and the character is never really likable because of it. Not to mention, the literally 5-minute relationship he has with Jenny has to be some of the worst scenes on Charmed. It's like the writers just can't find things for her to do so they just throw her in this episode just to create a digusting, not to mention disturbing relationship where Kyle is like 18 and Jenny's like 10! I'm thinking Brad Kern had a hand in that development, the pervert! Anyway, the whole storyline feels forced, especially the beyond lame snake attack that even so over-the-top and stupid I'm surprised Shannon, Holly, Alyssa, and Brian kept a straight face with that poor material. The only thing worth watching in this episode is Piper and Leo's shaky relationship that continues to be greatly developed. It's obvious that Piper still loves Leo, despite starting her relationship with Dan, and it makes for some nice little drama. But besides that, this episode tries too hard making a storyline serious when it's just unintentionally hilarious and bad throughout.moreless

Never be afraid to trust yourself!

By Angel200489, Nov 01, 2007

While in a cave, two explorers accidentally release a powerful evil witch named Tuatha, and she casts a spell killing them and sends her serpent to chase her magical wand. Meanwhile, Leo meets Piper and Phoebe, tells them that Tuatha is free and advises them that they should find a teenager called Kyle Gwideon, the seventh son of the seventh generation, since he is the Chosen One to handle the wand and destroy Tuatha. Prue coincidently gets the wand at Bucklands and brings it home. Tuatha kills three hikers in the woods removing their hearts, which were needed to remove the sisters powers, while Leo trains Kyle, but the boy is afraid to face Tuatha.

"That Old Black Magic" is a funny episode of "Charmed" that plays with "The Blair Witch Project". Piper gets in trouble with Leo and Dan, and has to decide with whom she will stay.moreless

The girls and Leo must locate the Chosen One as he is the only one who can use the evil witch Tuatha's septor in order to kill her. Piper also tells Leo it's over and so begins Piper's sickening relationship with Dan

By GCT89, Aug 26, 2007

Most dfinatley the worst episode of season 2, containing terrible guest stars especially Bridget Brannagh who gives a performance worthy of a five year old on a sugar crash. The whole episode seems to drag with the completely useless Blair Witch Project gimmicks which arn't funny or scary

It also marks the first time that the girls lose their powers, which to be honest is done to death and totally boring in this episode. We also meet annoying Jack Sheridan who will obviously be a conquest for Prue in later episodes

The whole episodes is pretty badly wrapped up, with an embarrising fight sequence at the end which sees Tuatha and Kyle 'Chosen One' trying to get the wand which hovers in mid air lame! Kyle wishes for Tuatha to go which blows her up. Highlight of the episode!

To make matters worse, Piper breaks up with Leo, and so begins the doomed Leo/Piper/Dan storyline. Overall extremely missable. An episode with no darkness, twists, suspense and meaningful drama

On the bright side last episode with Jenny, the 2nd most useless character in Charmed History, (1st being Billie) although it would have been nice to see her pack up and leave it would have been more enjoyable!moreless

He's the one, baby, the one!

By Blinksterboy, Jul 23, 2007

The opening scene of this episode reminds me of Season One's "Feats of Clay". Thankfully, it does get better.

For the second week in a row, the baddie has more cleavage than the top shelf of a newsagent's. She's a witch called Tuatha, who has spent the last two hundred years holed up in a cave but who has now been released to do her worst. The plot is fairly predictable but at least it isn't too lighthearted.

What really bugs me about this episode is the whole 'chosen one' storyline. Firstly, it's unoriginal and, secondly, it's nonsense: why on earth would a mortal have power over a witch's wand? And why does she need a wand in the first place? Nobody else needs one. Added to this, Kyle is a really annoying character who spends almost all his time whining and feeling sorry for himself.

Despite the lame storyline, there is some good witchcraft this week. It was great to see an experienced witch with so many spells and potions at her disposal. Hopefully the sisters will be able to do this themselves before too long.

This instalment marks the beginning of the infamous Leo-Piper-Dan love triangle, with Dan getting his share of the action even before Piper and Leo have called it quits. We also get to meet Jack Sheridan for the first time. I like this bloke! It's about time we had a plucky male character on the show.

This is about the tenth episode of Charmed to have featured the line "what's wrong with this picture?" Please come up with something new.

Highlight? Phoebe's little speech to Jack, Dan and Leo. Lowlight? The old woman's pathetic screaming at the snake. Dear God!moreless

Boring for me.

By charmed1102, Apr 14, 2007

A trio of film students are the victims of a heart-stealing evil witch who escapes from over 200 years of entombment hunting for her magical scepter. Leo returns to help get the staff into the hands of the only person who can use the wand for good, The Chosen One, and bumps into Piper with her new love interest, named Kyle while Prue stumbles across the magical scepter. Ignoring Leo's warnings, the Halliwell sisters attempt to find and defeat the witch and barely escape with their lives. Protected only by a fake courage poDan. Trying to put the awkwardness aside Leo, Piper and Phoebe find the Chosen One who turns out to be a reluctant teenager tion concocted by Prue, Kyle saves the day destroying the evil witch by using the magical scepter. The victory becomes bittersweet when Leo faces Piper's choice to end their difficult romance and begin a new one with Dan.moreless

Load More Reviews