The Eyes Have It

Episode Reviews (13)

Great

The Eyes Have It

By TrueTvWatcher, Apr 21, 2012

The Eyes Have It was a perfect and extremely entertaining episode of Charmed because it had an amazing guest cast, a spectacular story and lots of magic. There was a lot of character and plot development for the sisters as Phoebe struggles to keep balance in her life, Piper worries about giving birth while fighting nausea, and Paige continues to find herself. The Gypsy women were all awesome and the Gypsy Hunters were great in their own ways. I liked how every thing played out and how the story ended. I certainly look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!!!moreless

Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves...

By iltarion, Jul 28, 2011

After a couple really unique episodes, Charmed kind of gets back to its regular formula here with an innocent and a vengeful demon. The innocent is a strong plus whether it is the Chivani or the hot doctor played by Emmanuelle Vaugnier. Both are well played and well-written for the most part. The demon, however, is not as strong. Cree is somewhat threatening, though burdened with a boring name, but Oren, besides being a little creepy, gets way too little screen time to carry the final battle. The Evil Eye is essentially the ability to shoot lasers out of his eyes, which comes off as a little cheesy, and it is very hard to believe that this joker can take down the Power of 3, Leo, and the young gypsy when so many other powerful demons couldn't. No Cole is another drawback, though that does allow Phoebe to slip more back into her normal, non-paranoid, character. The big premonition she got at the end was excellent. Too bad it never happened again.

This is sort of the introduction of Piper's obsession with giving birth at a hospital, which becomes a long term storyline. There is some humor in it, which Holly and Brian excel at, of course.

Other than her continued dedication to being Paige Super-witch, Paige doesn't have a lot to do here, which is another negative.

Not bad, but not as good as the episodes that precede or follow it.moreless

Eye For An Eye!

By lenzinoH20, Jun 28, 2011

The Eyes Have It-While seeking the advice of a fortune teller regarding her missing powers, Phoebe discovers in a premonition that a demon is going to kill them all after murdering the last one of the coven they were supposed to protect. Meanwhile, Piper wants to see a doctor about her baby, but Leo is concerned about the threat of exposure. Now was that so far writers! Instead of going for the absurd and outlandish fantasy that the writers seem obsessed with at this point in the series, we get an episode with that classic Charmed style: a somewhat dark storyline that introduces quality guest stars and an solid demon of the week. I'm surprised it took the writers so long to introduce gypsies to the series considering their mythology seems so intertwined with the witch mythology. The gypsy characters we met here are quite good with Emmanuelle Vaugier ("Smallville", "Two and A Half Men") as Eva and even better is Shareen Mitchell as Lydia. She gives off a alluring, strong presence as a character and it's always great seeing a fellow witch (sort of) showing the sisters a thing or two about magic they haven't learned yet. Emmanuelle does a nice job of conveying Eva's resistence of his hertiage and magic, but it's also a nice transistion from when Lydia comes to her as a spirit to when she completely embraces her gypsy lineage. You know your in for a good episode of Charmed when even the guest characters get some nice development.

Phoebe takes center stage this episode once again and I'm glad it's actually non-Cole related. It's great to see the writers realizing that Phoebe has been very distant from her magic lately and she hasn't had a premonition in a long time. Even more impressive is seeing Phoebe to pro-active about finding out why her powers are off lately. Alyssa finally gets act out a good script and see a glimpse of the old Phoebe who wasn't so consumed with work and other issues, but the woman who cared about being a witch and her family. Not let's see if we can keep her. The only downside to Phoebe's storyline is that this is the last time we witness the old premonition effects as Phoebe's power advances and we get a new version (which I find ridicous because as cool as her advanced premonition was, she never has one like that again! lame!) As for the demon(s) of the week, I liked Cree, especially Orin, played creepily by Jigsaw himself, Tobin Bell. What I loved about them is that we finally got demons who were brutal and dark again with some good old fashioned eye-ripping, which has been seriously missing this year. The SFX continue to impress as well. I loved Orin's vanquishing scene with Eva, Paige and Phoebe using the Source vanquishing spell. All and All, "The Eyes Have It" is a dark, refreshing hour, with the best writing from the season so far.moreless

Should have gone to Spec Savers.

By MovieMark, Dec 12, 2010

Phoebe seems to be getting the brunt of the main story-lines this season while Paige and Piper complain and moan and moan and complain. It's starting to become a little irritating at this point, can we please find something for these two to do?

Otherwise, this is a fairly good episode of Charmed. With some interesting guest-stars and a main plot that seems as though there was some thought put into it, ''The Eyes Have it'' is probably the best episode of the season so far.

As villains go, Cree (SAW's Toben Bell) isn't someone to write home about, but he gouges out eyes, so there's that going for him. His vanquish was fairly unspectacular, although we find out Phoebe's power of premonition has advanced (we'll never hear of this again cos, ya know, it's pointless) and they have to use the same spell to vanquish the Source to beat him, I thought that was a nice touch.

There are plenty of great sister moments here, though, and the magic isn't used as carelessly as we've seen so far from the show. Gypsy Magic in particular is treated with respect and it's a pity we're never introduced to more aspects of its lore – Paige mentions how powerful the remedies are – it would have been cool to see the show dabble with this sort of stuff in future episodes.

Not too shabby.moreless

Gypsy demons witchches

By prada212vogue, Aug 02, 2007

When Phoebe goes to a fortune teller because she is having trouble with her premonitions, the fortune teller ends up channeling Phoebes power and recieves a very unfortunate premonition of a demon killing her and taking her eyes. Paige is feeling like a loser because she hasn't got a job or anything interesting to do. The girls obviously kill the demon in this case demons and they do it with help from their ancestors. Piper goes to see Ava a gypsy doctor who helped them with the demons at the end of the episode.moreless

The sisters help some gypsies fight a gypsy hunter and Phoebe has troubles with her powers.

By Shortpenguin, Apr 28, 2007

This was a good episode. Not my favorite, but it was still okay. I really liked the beginning with Phoebe's interaction with Madame Teresa. Especially the palm reading. I thought it was great. Phoebe loses her powers of premonition, so she goes to a gypsy fortune teller to find out why. I actually liked the continuity here. You don't actually see Phoebe use her premonition power at all in the first episodes of Season five before this. Eventually she gets them back, and with a cool result. Her powers of premonition grew, so now they are more powerful and vivid (meaning no more black and white). Piper doesn't want to have a home birth, but the others believe it's safer, so magic isn't exposed when her baby is born. Again, not my favorite storyline. It was alright though, and enjoyable at times.moreless

Phoebe loses her power of premonition so she looks for advice off a fortune teller.

By charmed1102, Apr 25, 2007

Phoebe seeks the advice of a fortune teller to figure out why she hasn't been having premonitions lately. She learns that its because her life is out of balance, now that she's spending more time with her job and less time with witch craft, and her power will not return until she remedies this. The girls also learn that the son of a Gypsy Hunter has been hunting down the last of a tribe of Gypsies, in order to restore the sight the Gypsies took from his father long ago. Meanwhile, Piper has concerns about Leo's wish that she doesn't see a doctor during her pregnancy and Paige feels her lack of employment has turned her into a loser.moreless

The demon Orin's son begins to kill Gypsies in order to get revenge for his father's blinding years before. The sisters have to help Ava, a reluctant Gypsy, to find her heritage and destiny.

By punk_dancer, Nov 18, 2006

This episode went beyond the boundaries of what typical Charmed plots are. We got to learn about a new side of magic, and see the struggles that go along with it. It took us away from the Halliwell Manor, which gave us some insight into the way the girls function in the real world.

I was intruiged with Ava's difficulties accepting her magical heritage, and how they were so alike to the Charmed Ones.' It seems that all bouts of magic have their own grudging members. The way the three relate to many one-time characters, especially Paige at this point, is helpful in giving insight into how they think and feel.moreless

Gypsies, Tramps and Pheebs

By maxpower03, Jul 09, 2006

One thing Charmed didn't do enough of was exploring other types of magic. With this episode, they successfully feature the magic of gypsies, with an intriguing, violent mystery for the sisters to unravel.

One thing I loved about this episode was the sense of space director James Marshall conjured up. Season five obviously had a major budget increase from the WB, ensuring many episodes, and most notably this one, look and feel as if it was really filmed in San Francisco, instead of on the WB backlot.

The performances from every single member of the cast were all surprisingly good, especially Alyssa Milano. Usually when it's a Phoebe-centric episode, she acts mainly juvenile and pathetic but, for this episode, she actually maintains her straight face, never breaking out of character. The demons in the episode are portrayed well by Channon Roe and Tobin Bell and the way that Cree kills, by cutting out the eyes of gypsies, is surprisingly violent for Charmed, making it all the more better.

Sadly, the home front storylines continue to bring down the show with this episode seeing Piper worried about going to a mortal doctor due to her magical baby. It's nice that Eva, one of the gypsies, lends her help to them at the end of the episode but it's a shame that when she re-appears later on this season, she's played by a different actress, presumably due to Emmanuelle Vaugier's commitments on Smallville.

A dark, dramatic, body count-heavy episode from start to finish, The Eyes Have It is probably the best episode of the season so far.

Director: James Marshall