The Torn Identity

Episode Reviews (39)

Great

The Torn Identity

By TrueTvWatcher, May 22, 2012

The Torn Identity was a perfect and very entertaining episode of Charmed. I really enjoyed watching because the story was engaging, exciting and full of great character and plot development. When Piper and Paige find the demon who killed Christy and Billie's parents they also need info from him leading to Leo. Christy tries to vanquish him and Piper saves him by hurdling Christy through the air. This was a fun scene for many reasons, and Christy reminded me of Stephan King's Carrie. There was action, drama, intrigue and lots of magic! I liked how every thing played out and the new distrust between the sisters and Christy along with her sister Billie. I look forward to watching what happens next!!!!!!!!!moreless

Christy and Billie become the sisters's enemies way too quickly and Phoebe somehow fails to realize Coop loves her, but we do get to see the sisters acting more like sisters and the use of the Power of Three.

By Edward_Nigma, Nov 29, 2011

Once again it's easy to see how the writers are rushing to conclude this ultimate power storyline, and it really doesn't help in making this episode very believeable. Minus the rushing, this episode was not horribly bad, but Phoebe is still pretty annoying and her useless sideplot keeps taking up too much time.

At the beginning of the episode, Billie and Christy are on good terms (well Christy is on "fake" good terms I guess) with the sisters, but then by the end of the episode, they are acting like enemies. Sure that's what we knew would happen, but it happened way too fast. I can see how Christy got to being all mad at the sisters, but then she told Billie about how Piper attacked her, and Billie said she's go talk to the sisters...um okay now what happened on her walk over to the manor that made her go from nice visit to piss mode where she just barges into the manor and steals a potion, acting all retarded and flipping out on the sisters?? That seriously made no sense. She told Christy she'd go talk to the sisters alone since Christy was all upset, then the writers forgot to put in the scene where she has a reason to hate the sisters herself, and we just see Billie randomly siding with Christy with 0 transition time. Continuity within a single episode would be nice. Whatever.

Other than that huge annoyance, the rest of the episode was an improvement over last week. Paige and Piper had a nice scene where Piper tried to help out Paige with her identity problems, and then the sisters came together for some Power of Three action, then went together to go get that Noxon (or whatever he was called) demon to spill the beans. Piper froze something, which hasn't happened much lately. Oh and I must throw this in: the scene where Piper blew up Christy's arm - yeah, that was pretty awesome.

Not so awesome is Phoebe being blind. I really don't know how she didn't get a single hint from Crap Coop when she had that "I love Michael" conversation with him. Phoebe, it was horribly obvious that Coop likes you, take one of the 5000 hints he gave you, please. Oh and also, stop caring about yourself, like in the attic when you actually hesitated calling coop to reverse the spell he did on Paige, just because you didn't want to summon Coop. Or when Coop came with a present and poem and you actually stopped to talk about it and made your sisters wait to find the demon. Celf-centered a bit? I can't believe the other sisters didn't yell at her for making them wait.

So now we see that Piper is all for killing Billie and Christy, but Paige still thinks they can work things out with them. Again, way too rushed, and considering Brad Kern must have known this show wouldn't last past this season months before he got the official cancellation, I think he should have worked on making less filler episodes and moving the plot along a little bit so everything isn't shoved into the last few episodes. But that didn't happen, so we must go with what we get. The filler is slowly disappearing...now let's just hope we get a nice ending to the main plot.moreless

And the final battle becomes clear, Christie and Billie must go down and go down hard.

By iltarion, Jan 11, 2011

This is a difficult episode to score. It accomplishes more towards turning Billie against the sisters than any other episode, which makes it crucial to the final story arc. However, it is at times maddening to watch. Most reviewers have seemingly missed the point that Christie wanted the demon destroyed BEFORE it could talk to the Charmed Ones. That was the whole issue of contention between her and the sisters. Most things in this episode regarding Billie are pretty maddening. Yes, as others have stated, her time with the Charmed Ones and the fact that they've all risked their lives to save hers (remember Hulkus Pokus anyone?) is all too quickly forgotten on the word of a sister that frankly after 15 years she wouldn't have even been able to recognize. The thing is, I think the writers did well to set this up. The failure is that the best element already present to explain Billie's sudden turn against the sisters isn't properly leveraged. It is understandable that Billie would feel isolated after the death of her parents. As such, a somewhat irrational attachment to her sister wouldn't be hard to believe. However, that usable notion isn't sold by the actress. Billie shows little grief over her parents at all, and instead just shows more neurotic adoration of a sister she hasn't known for the last 15 years.

Well, Christie certainly uses that to good advantage, playing an injury she deservedly received from Piper for all its worth and then some. The adoring and beyond gullible Billie makes easy fodder. Christie has clearly been the star the last couple episodes, and she is proving a very imposing villian, even being able to use her apparently ever-reaching telepathy to read the sisters' thoughts all the way from Magic School. At least Piper is now aware of who the enemies are.

The whole Piper being blamed for trying to get Leo back is sort of idiotic when you consider that not just Leo but the sisters' lives depend upon getting to and fighting this supposedly final battle. Piper is doing nothing more than what is in all of their best interest by trying to discover who the ultimate threat is.

And how is Billie being used again? To fight demons? Isn't that what she was doing before she met the Charmed Ones? The only difference is now she has a lot more power to fight them with. I understand why she would feel used.

Paige and Henry's story here is mildly entertaining. It is no surprise that Paige would lose herself in marriage considering she has been afraid of losing herself to her sisters for the past 5 seasons. What did I say about Paige being too independent to be married? So, this whole story line is so predictable it is comical, and I have to give the writers credit here for leaving us with the same old Paige. Great acting by Ivan here, throughout. Henry has been a pleasant surprise this whole season, but anyone notice he and Paige don't exactly have great chemistry? Its alright. They are only a secondary couple to me anyway.

I would definitely give this episode a higher score if it wasn't for the Coop/Phoebe arc. I like Coop, as I have said before, but come on. I would have liked to see something original versus the whole Cyrano/Roxanne redux thing. That whole part of the episode was beyond annoying, but it did have a good final scene.

Alright. So let's get on with it!moreless

A original episode with a lot of good moments! Fantastic!

By Lostfinding, Oct 08, 2010

It's a relly good episode! It's kinda weird because we don't see a main story of a demon that attacks or something but a normal story...

The Whole supernatural part was so great. The episode has tons of special effects: The whole new underworld set with the freaky things that are in the grounds and the whole snake things was remarkable! I love the idea of a snake in the underworld that way, it's not like Charmed, but was great! And it was very real, the effect was well done. When the demon dies the snake dies aswell and the effect of the snake becoming ashes was so perfect! And when see that original vanquish at the end, and the freezing of Piper, and the effect with Paige in Henry... All of this made this episode be a 10 one in the supernatural part.

In the normal part I loved so much the Paige story, she was always so independent that is logical that now she feels that way. I think that was perfect in her character. When she told Henry: "I've never loved someone so much" ...Whoa...Was so great!!! That things made the audience believe that is a true love! The scenes with Henry with powers were funny aswell. And the final scene with the three of them in the attic was so "Charmed". Besides we have some great scenes in the episode: The whole scene in the phone was funny, when Paige is talking to Henry and Phoebe and she get wrong! Cool! Also we have a perfect scene at the beginning... When Piper and Paige go to the hall till the attic was original and they both together were great! The part of Phoebe was more boring, i don't get how Coop can fell in love so quickly it makes no sense, anyway she is tecnically an experct of Phoebe so that would make some sense... Another thing: It would be fantastic get Billie's proyection power and send her to the moment where Phoebe said "you're now part of the family..." (Hulkus Pocus) maybe Billie would remember something about them...moreless

Piper, Phoebe and Paige finally find the ulimate power- Billie and Christy.

By Black_Grace, Oct 08, 2010

Good episode but I think Piper could of explained more about what happened to Christy to Billie unstead of a little. I don't like Christy now. She is a lier and she works with demons. I didn't like that Billie thought the Charmed Ones were bad. Piper was good with her throwing Christy into the wall.

CAN'T GET YOU OUT OF MY HEAD

By Blinksterboy, Oct 08, 2010

Can't get you out of my head

In a bid to get her sister out of the Manor, Christy winds up the Charmed Ones, gets blasted by Piper, then goes running to Billie. Sounds a long shot but when your sister's as dumb as Billie, success is pretty much guaranteed. Very sly.

I found it slightly annoying that Billie turned against the sisters so readily but I guess we are running out of episodes so I'll let it go. What I found more annoying was her 'couldn't care less' attitude to her parents' death. Christy looked more upset for heaven's sake.

Some interesting demon action this week. Liked the snake thing. Reminded me of that monster Cole killed in the Wasteland. There were also some clever vanquishes, especially that one on the smokestack. I did feel sorry for the noxon; first Leo spends a year torturing him now everyone wants to kill him. Leave the poor bloke alone - it's not his fault he's a demon.

Phoebe's endless love/baby/husband related subplots continue to keep her out of the action. This week Coop fixes her up with a bloke from work while being less than subtle about his own feelings. Very predictable. I did like the twist at the end though, when Phoebe blew him out by saying she fancied the other bloke. Tee hee!

Paige and Henry's subplot is daft but strangely enjoyable. Seeing Henry orb into the kitchen and chant a spell with the sisters was kind of surreal and his cry of "That was cool!" when he orbs the phial is brilliant. Totally love Ivan Sergei.

This latest run of episodes is so different to anything we've seen before. The Halliwells seem totally disconnected as sisters. The Jenkins, meanwhile, are closer than ever. Good dark stuff.

Score: 9.2moreless

When the Charmed Ones and Christy go after the remaining Noxon demon, each with very different intentions, Christy uses the situation to turn Billie away from the Charmed Ones. Meanwhile Henry can't get Paige out of his head. Literally.

By DanFuchs, Aug 27, 2008

When this episode had ended I really hated both Billie and Christy, but for extremely different reasons. Billie because she continues being plain awful, understating the loss of the parents so blatantly it makes me downright angry. She acts as though she just failed a class and not like she had been at her frickin' parents' funeral. Christy, however, who only reunited with her parents a week ago, does show and display some emotion about their deaths, evident as she goes on her personal vendetta to kill the remaining Noxon, blinded by, perhaps not sadness, but anger. Now that's a realistic reaction. Christy is very manipulative in this episode, and seems to have a very easy job with the blonder than blonde Billie. It is unbelievable that Billie chooses to believe the biased account of a woman she doesn't even know who has been raised by demons rather than the three sisters who have shown her nothing but kindness and care for almost a year and have taught her everything they know. She is turned way too easily. Christy rejoices in her accomplishment, and that is why I hate her: Marnette Patterson remains truly excellent and her performance works.

I really like the way the plot has twisted now. The Charmed Ones will now have to unite to face Christy and Billie, and I love that it's no longer five good witches against commonplace demons, but the Charmed Ones against witches. I actually think that's a.. new one? Do I smell originality?

I still dislike, however, that Billie and Christy are so powerful, seeing as it undermines the Charmed Ones' label.

The Paige subplot was rather dull and certainly a filler. Henry remains rather bland, but it was oddly cool to see him stand hand in hand with Piper and Phoebe chanting. Phoebe's plotline remains.. yawn. Victor Webster is still annoying and pushy as hell ('But nothing is more important than love!' - SHUT it, they have a crisis going on, love can wait), but it was actually bordering on touching in the end scene where he thought Phoebe returned his love for her. I really hope the last episodes become so dramatic that he won't be able to dominate any part of the plot, but I'm thinking no. A nice episode with a well written twist that leaves you wanting more. Now that's a good Charmed!moreless

Billie, if you had chosen evil I would have more respect for you. Don't sit there and think that killing the Most Powerful GOOD witches of all time is for the greater good, stupidd writing! Why not just have her sister turn her evil?

By CharmedOneP391, May 10, 2008

A good episode, i just don't like how stupid Billie is. Phoebe falling for a cupid is expected, it makes sense, just is boring. I'm glad Paige finally found someone who doesn't mind her use of magic, but still, kind of boring. Piper is a bit too revengeful in this one, but i Understand why she is. I'm glad Piper blasts Christy, that (aparent) warlock, (since she's an evil witch) is a bi+ch! I did like the ending though, sort of a foreshadow of what's to come. Phoebe needs to have herself a reality check, to earn back your powers!! remember those two powers you were so happy about getting but have apparently completely forgot about! give her her powers back so she can actually fight!moreless

Average episode but good.

By charmed1102, Apr 14, 2007

Christy becomes a powerful force in the Underworld as the demon Creo tries to convince her that she needs to get Billie away from the Charmed Ones so she and her sister can fulfill their dark destiny. Coop the Cupid discovers that Michael, a co-worker of Phoebe's, has asked Phoebe out several times but she constantly turns him down. This causes Coop to play match maker. Meanwhile Paige gets magically trapped in Henry's body, which becomes a little crowded for the both of them.moreless

not a bad episode but it doesn't leave room for character developent, things r moving to quickly.

By mikey_23, Dec 04, 2006

what i want to say is not really about this episode alone just something i noticed through all of season 8, i just thought i would write it here coz this episode made me notice something about pheobe. what happened to her power of impath, why couldn't she feel how coop felt about her. i assume that she got all her powers back in season 7, what happened, she used to be able to channel other peoples powers against them, that would or might have helped them in season eight.moreless

Load More Reviews