Witch Way Now?

Episode Reviews (19)

Superb

How Charmed can sell more DVDs - Probably has two endings.

By jwhitehead, Dec 26, 2012

When this was filmed at the end of Season 4, they were still in talks with the actresses, and they didn't know if they wanted to do another season. It was probably filmed with an alternative ending, in case they had to tie up the series. In this episode, after the Angel of Destiny offers her a "normal" unmagical life, Phoebe laments that she is unable to have a child while she is "doing (acting).

Are you listing, studio execs for Charmed? Here's how to sell more DVDs, from this dying franchise: Please, please give us the out-takes and alternative endings that must be in your film vaults and personal collections. Please do a quality set, not a quick knockoff and pay one or more of the original actresses, Like Alyssa Milano and directors to give us several real commentaries. Give us the crude and charming unaired pilots and alternative endings, even without music. Real collectors want them, trust me. Do a reunion special interview and put it in the set! Here is an example: See the Joss Whedon "The Chosen" collection of Buffy. It became a best-seller because it did specials right. Do this and you will make it worthwhile for fans like me to buy the whole series all over again.moreless

More like the beginning of the rest rather than an ending...

By iltarion, Jul 20, 2011

Season 4's very average finale is the infamous Charmed juggling act with 3 main threads weaving at once. The Angel of Destiny thread is annoying, but it makes complete sense that after vanquishing the Source the sisters would get the chance to get out of the wicca business. It is kind of hard to believe that Phoebe would want to give up her powers, even with everything she has been through; she has always been the wiccan heart of the manor. This thread though does have the great reveal at the end with Piper's pregnancy, and this thread does the work of healing the rift between Phoebe and Paige, as evidenced by their hug at the end.

The second thread is actually very good and would have made an excellent regular episode if it had been utilized that way. Bruce Campbell is always a welcome guest, and it was a pretty good twist that he ended up being the witch hunter in the end. Though also annoying, the exposure threat was a smart tie in to last season's finale. This thread, and Bruce Campbell, should have been given more time instead of being crowded out by the 3rd thread.

The last thread, involving Cole's return from the wasteland, I am pretty much ambivalent about. I liked the depiction of the Wasteland and Cole's collection of powers. But I also hated that Cole's return ruins the finality of Long Live the Queen, and I hate that Phoebe has miraculously done a 180 on him. Frankly, the real problem here is that this thread is completely unnecessary to the rest of the episode, and I think should have been saved for the opener of Season 5, which is two parts anyway. Yeah, the end would have had to be changed, but it is also unfortunate having Cole save Phoebe again just 2 episodes after she vanquished him.

On an aside, Paige looked fabulous in this episode in the white dress. Loved it. This episode did a lot to show how close her and Piper have become, which is a big change from the beginning of the season. And Rose's acting in this episode is an absolute stand out.

Season 4 is perhaps the most important season for Charmed. It proved that the series could still be good without Prue. It is arguably the darkest season, and with the best season opener and two great story lines with the vanquish of the Source and of Cole, it is certainly among the 2 or 3 best seasons of Charmed.moreless

The Angel of Destiny offers the sisters a normal life and Cole requests help from another realm.

By Lady_Lancaster, Mar 10, 2011

In a very similar ending to last season (which is a shame) Piper, Phoebe and Paige are visited by The Angel of Destiny who offers to remove their powers from them and thus, allow them to live a normal life. He does this as a reward for the fact that they finally vanquished the Source. As it was before, it is certainly something to consider, but the sense of Deja Vu makes it just a little bit predictable.

Meanwhile, Cole, trapped in another dimension, is calling for help to be released which poses more problems, particularly for Phoebe. Everything ends on a high note though when Piper discovers that she is pregnant.moreless

A low-key finale, but a good one.

By MovieMark, Mar 15, 2010

How odd. My review for Womb Raider has mysteriously disappeared…

(Oh, it's back again!)

Moving right on, 'Witch Way Now' may not cap the season off in epic glory, but it's a necessary episode showcasing where the sisters began at the start of the season and how far they've come in just one year. Why the sisters have never been rewarded before now is a bit of a hum-digger. Why weren't they offered such a reward after killing The Source in 'Charmed and Dangerous'? Unless, of course, the elders knew he wasn't really dead, but surely they would have informed the girls, or are they just that cruel?

There's a lot of toing and froing in this episode and it's a rare thing for the show to have the sisters spend the majority of the hour weighing out the pros and cons of a situation. Usually we have one sister acting irrational, guns a blazing, but all three leads present relevant arguments in a mostly calm and collected manner. I did like how Paige and Piper switched sides, as it was Piper at the start of the year embracing Magic, while Paige reluctantly learned the way of the craft. Now Piper, realising countless battles with demons has left her unable to have a child, puts her priorities straight. Both have strong arguments, so it was nice to have both voice their own opinions like adults and not as bratty sisters.

If you begin to think about the Cole storyline too much you may experience a migraine. In season 5 the writers get so confused by how they want to represent Cole it sometimes makes for baffling viewing. Here we only see hints of the man they take to the nth degree; a love-sick half demon consumed by his obsession with Phoebe. But when did Phoebe get over Cole? He's not the Source anymore so we know he's not technically evil. He won that battle. Why is he in the wasteland anyways? His demonic half was vanquished in 'Black as Cole' right? I'm just saying, if my squeeze found a way back after dying, I'd be a little on the happy side of life. Instead Phoebe doesn't know what to think, Witch Way to Turn (arf!) and spends most of the episode looking confused. Cole is good from where I'm standing; he just comes with a few noticeable upgrades now.

I enjoyed the witch hunter plot, even if it did play out exactly how I imagined it would. I enjoyed the action scenes; Phoebe kicks some serious booty in this one. Bruce Campbell, a genre fave, tones it down, but plays each scene with a knowing wink. The twist was appreciated, and Brad Kern certainly knows how to direct a camera, and so the episode also looked up to par.

I also enjoyed the cliff-hanger, angst-free, thank goodness. And so Piper is pregnant. If there's one thing that kills a show, it's the baby storyline. But I'll let the Halliwells rejoice for now. Until season five…

Season 4 Episode Ratings:

19. We're Off To See The Wizard – 8/10

20. Long Live The Queen – 9.5/10

21. Womb Raider – 3.5/10

22. Which Way Now? – 7/10moreless

A year after Prue and possible exposure the Charmed ones face a similar problem only this time from an FBI agent. The Angel of Destiny pops in for a visit as well

By AegisAtreyu, Aug 21, 2008

After a series of dark and convoluted episodes ending in the last episode this is a major change of Pace and direction. Its more like a season 2 episode than anything, and a shame that Bruce Campbell's performance is extremely mis-judged. He just seems too out of place as the FBI agent/witch-hunter. I was also disappointed by the Angel of Destiny who decides that he'll offer them the Chance to not be Witches anymore. Although Piper and Phoebe think they should relinquish their powers Paige sincerely doesn't. It felt wrong for the Angel of Destiny to even offer in my opinion let alone 2 of them consider it. Just because the Source is dead doesn't mean that they have conquered all evil beings. The one thing I felt that worked was Cole in the Wasteland. This is how he should have become the Source in the first place really instead of the whole body transfer thing. Ive seen next season and he becomes an almost obsolete character moping over his estranged wife. Like I said it's a shame this happened now rather than sooner when it would have made sense but it worked for me non the less.

Lastly I'd just like to say that the cliff hanger where the Angel of Destiny reveals Piper is pregnant is the bizarrist thing. 'Don't you get it, she's pregnant!' shouts Phoebe, Piper's response 'I'm Pregnant!'. Blunt force Trauma my a*s, who needs a pregnancy test when you have an Angel of Destiny ey.moreless

"We Angels always involve ourselves in Destiny. Michal Angelo, Mozart... Britney Spears..." Angel of Destiny

By mobbs456, Jul 16, 2008

Another fine episode of Charmed. finally the power of three is restored and the sisters are sisters again!!!

Paige has been a great addition to the family and has settled in quite nicely. phoebe and piper treat her like a sister - and so they should do really!!!

the episode ends on a high note with Piper finding out she is pregnant. its an happy ending, something unsual for the show. the angel is clearly pleased with the news too - did he help with Piper's Pregnancy?

overall good stuff but its a shame season five wasn't up to par with this great season.moreless

Destiny's Witches

By lenzinoH20, Jun 19, 2008

Witch Way Now?-When the Angel of Destiny offers the sisters a chance to relinquish their powers and lead normal lives as a reward for vanquishing the Source of All Evil, their decision is put on the back burner. The sisters try to avoid an FBI agent who has them under surveillance, while also dealing with Cole's calls for help, who is trapped in another realm, holding onto his love for Phoebe. Plus, Piper remarkably finds out that she is pregnant.

Like Season 2, Season 4 ended on a bizarre note with an episode that was a typical demon of the week. "Witch Way Now" is not a bad episode by any means, it's rather good, but it's a weak finale, especially after a string of dark and spectacular episodes this season. Anyway, this episode sees the sisters getting the ultimate reward when the Angel of Destiny offers them a chance to live Charmed-free lives without demons or magic ever again. Of course, the sisters would chose to keep their powers in the end, but the dilemma does bring some great scenes between the sisters. It makes sense that Piper would want give up her powers, but Phoebe wanting the same is a bit of a shock. One of the highlights from the 4th season is Phoebe's maturity from beginning to end. She literally went from the rebellious, light hearted youngest sister to a very mature looking, level headed middle sister which was written with time and care. Phoebe's decision while a shocking, is believeable with all that she's been through this season with Cole and her unborn demonic child. But Paige's reasons for wanting to stay a witch are the most convincing and heartbreaking as she would never have sisters if she wasn't a witch. The witch hunter storyline is flat though and it's a shame that such a brilliant actor as Bruce Campbell was left with some worthless material as Agent Jackman. The twist toward the end was quite predictable, but the climax was at least pretty action packed with the sisters being powerless and going through some extreme lengths to save their innocent. It just goes to show that being witches and protecting the innocent in the sisters blood whether they chose to relinquish their powers or not. The episode ends with the most wonderful news all season as Angel of Destiny reveals Piper's pregnancy which is a great storyline that develops next season. Again, the only downside is Cole. While it's was interesting to see the demonic wasteland and Cole scoring some new powers, the character is now being dragged with no need for the writers to keep him on the series at this point. This is one of the reasons why the next 4 seasons of Charmed really destoryed the series, the writer just lost all their creativity and dragged out storylines that should have just died earlier on. While Season 5-8 had their share of great even superb episodes, the series just never lived up to brilliance of the first 4 seasons, especially with Constance Burge exiting to series after this episode. Her absence literally left Charmed in chaos with Brad Kern in complete control of the series, which it would never fully recover from. "Witch Way Now" may be a decent episode, but it's the ending of an era as Charmed would never be the same again after this episode.moreless

They always come back

By Blinksterboy, Apr 07, 2008

It was always going to be hard to follow the evil Phoebe arc and, frankly, they should have waited until next season. This installment would have made a great season opener but, as a finale, it's pretty weak.

The exposure plot has been done several times before (and far more successfully) and to dredge it up again seems a bit of a cop out by Brad Kern. The witchhunter was dull and his storyline felt rushed. They should have let him keep his secret until next season. First missed opportunity.

Offering the Charmed Ones a reward for vanquishing the Source was a nice touch and I did like the Angel of Destiny - good idea and good guest actor. Would have been interesting for them to have given up their powers for a few episodes but I guess that wouldn't have been popular with the viewers. Second missed opportunity.

While it's great to see Julian again, I can't help wondering whether bringing Cole back was the right thing to do. At any rate, they should have waited until next season to do it. I liked the concept of the demonic wasteland but the set looked rubbish and what was that snake thing about? Alyssa and Julian must have felt like a right pair of berks standing on that rock. Still, it's good to see Cole finally free of the Source and it'll be interesting to see what his new powers are.

In my view, the previous episode would have made the perfect finale - a demonic bloodbath to tie up the Source storyline and the season ending with Cole's voice drifting through the curtains. Third (and biggest) missed opportunity.

So here we are at the halfway point in the series. As we say thank you and farewell to Constance Burge I've got a horrible feeling we may already have seen the best half.

Thanks largely to 'Bite Me' and 'Womb Raider', this season's body count stands at a whopping 116 evil beings. The list comprises 75 demons, 26 vampires, 6 warlocks, 3 furies, 2 ghosts, 2 mortals, 1 darklighter and 1 wizard. Of these, 12 were vanquished by Cole and 29 (including all but one of the vampires) by the Source. Who says good and evil can't work together?moreless

The Angel Of Destiny calls on the charmed ones.

By charmed1102, Apr 01, 2007

The Angel of Destiny calls on the charmed ones, to give them news that will change their lives the news is that because the charmed ones vanquished the source of all evil The Angel of Destiny is giving them a once in a life time chance to relinquish their powers and become mortal, Paige isn't too keen on the offer but Phoebe and Piper are becasue they have been doing the whole charmed thing for about four years and Paige only one, Meanwhile because Cole has a heart he is still alive in the demonic wasteland and he also contacs Phoebe and he finds out a way to get out of the demonic wasteland and strenghten him.

also an F.B.I agent called Jackmen investigates the charmed ones and makes a deal with them to catch a witch hunter and arrest her but the witch hunter turns out to be agent Jackmen and his victim turns out to be a witch in hiding that the charmed ones helped Jackmen get. In the end will the Charmed ones save their inoccent they helped catch for their bad guy ??? and will they give up their powers ??? and will a Charmed one find out great news about her future ???moreless

Load More Reviews