CHiPs (1983)

Show Reviews (29)

Great

BUM BUM DA DUM DUM

By MrShotShot, Jul 09, 2014

I live in NY but travel frequently to California. And for the life of me, I cannot pass a CA Highway Patrol officer or vehicle without immediately singing the CHIPS theme song at the top of my lungs.

Great show!

Yes, cop shows CAN be funny!

By Pnascimento, Feb 12, 2014

Looking at today's cop show (always focused on the ugly side of the cops) I wish there was more shows like ChiP's. It just doesn't age, always funny, good to watch.

Ponch is the Man!

By mackiewest, Aug 17, 2013

This is one of the most funny cop show I've seen. Love the way Frank Poncherello make me laugh everytime I saw a single episode that's I why I remained a loyal fan until it was got cancelled after 6 season or great moments! Packed with great cast and overall awesome series to watch. When I saw it at sells this DVD series, I bought it right away. I received an amazing set that was produced with great picture and sound quality! I'm really happy to watch this series all over again! From a very proud CHiPs fan.moreless

CHiPs was a police show you could actually watch with kids.

By rondasexton, Oct 02, 2011

I have fond memories of watching Chips. It was a great police series. The show focused on officers Ponch and Jon, two motorcycle officers with the California Highway Patrol. Ponch was the younger of the two. Jon was the senior officer. Their relationship was similar to John Gage and Roy DeSoto on Emergency.

One thing that makes this show stand out among other police shows is that Ponch and John never drew their guns. It was a lot less violent than most police shows. Ponch tended to be a lot more impulsive than Jon. One stand out example of this was when they were dealing with a motorcycle stunt show member who kept demonstrating exploits on the freeways to attract attention. Pon followed him on a specially made bike and did a "jump" on a rolling ramp. This got him a censurable incident report.

It was a good familyn show.moreless

weak series...

By sandbur, Jun 06, 2009

...with equally weak characters and story lines, ...WITH one exception: I watched it for Robert Pine! But it must have been because I was young and had lots of time on my hands, as its a given I wouldn't last past one episode on something like this today.

I guess even in the 70's there were shows that went for the fluff and the buff factors, but there certainly wasn't any rocket science to be associated with this one. I give it the equivalent to today's reality shows.

Having said that, I did appreciate Robert Pine, and he did go on to produce a very interesting and capable new "Captain James Tiberius Kirk". Gotta give him that...moreless

For six seasons Jon (Larry Wilcox) and Ponch (Erik Estrada) chased, raced, and gave great face, without ever pulling their guns. Realistic? No. Fun? At times, but you will find yourself laughing at it more than with it.

By 1Hombre, Jul 27, 2007

There are great similarities in the scripts as each episode has one major case at the foundation, several small happenings, and some involvement in a sporting event. Watching the episodes in succession will make the redundancy more apparent and cause a craving for Screaming Yellow Zonkers and Tang. Eventually CHiPs becomes far more of an ensemble, but in the first 22 episodes it’s all about Jon and Ponch. The awkwardness is obvious as Larry Wilcox does not seem to know how to play the straight man to Estrada’s clown. As the writers became better at writing for this team, the chemistry developed.

One fun aspect of watching these shows is spotting the guest stars. Be it actors who had established themselves years before CHiPs came along like Jim Backus, Richard Deacon, Carl Ballantine, Phyllis Diller, Hunt Hall, and Broderick Crawford, to famous athletes like Rosie Greer, and Ben Davidson, or actors who would go on to their own shows or movies like Gary Sandy, Mills Watson, Ellen Travolta, Gerald McRaney, and Edward James Olmos.

For a complete review; check our maskedmoviesnobs.commoreless

Classic, but not the best!

By da_dunker, May 03, 2007

CHiPs and Dukes of Hazzard were my two favorites growing up. I was only 3 when the show was canceled so I pretty much caught it when it was a syndication. It was good fun and not much more than that. The real CHP hated the show because of its' unrealistic-ness and they never endorsed it as far as I know. In the mid 90's I was reintroduced to the series with the help of Ted Turner who purchased the rights to broadcast the show. Once again, I don't think it ever took itself too seriously, had loads of guest stars and music bands (who were never heard from again, more times than not) and story lines based on actual CHP cases in its' time. It was a vechile for Estrada until his ego got the best of him with help from a cast of characters including one future Klingon. For my sake, I hope it will be released on DVD someday, until then I'll watch some tapes I made from time to time.moreless

I grew up with chips.I love a man in uniform.I love the excitement.They was some handsome mens.They were some good actor.I used to be glad when school was out just for I can watch them every day.When I'm out of school my sister going to school.good show.t

By Toyata, Apr 01, 2007

This show was about real life.About patrol officer trying to save people's life.And on there spare time they like to go on dates.These are the show that I would want my children to watch.A remodel show.Something thats not a bad influence on my kids.Thats whats wrong with the kids of today.The don't have enough positive shows or movies on T.V to keep them on the right track.Showing movies with all this killing and gang banging.Thats not helping our children of the next generation.We need to do positive things instead of negative things.Put on some education stuff.good show.need more like tmoreless

CHiPs was the often corny series that helped turn the serious but campy police shows of the early 70s into the light hearted disco loving police shows of the late 70s.

By tmkreutzer, Mar 22, 2007

There is no denying that CHiPs has to be one of the corniest shows of the late 70s, early 80s. Aimed squarely at families with kids, the show still has great appeal for young kids who can understand the simple, clear cut stories. What's more, you can plop them down in front of the show and not have to worry about them seeing anything sexier than roller disco chicks in hot pants, any graphic violence or pretty much any other kind of adult theme.

The show can still be a lot of fun for adults too. I enjoy looking at the old cars and the the crazy outfits as well as listening to that great 70s slang. You can play games with the show too, try and spot the same scenery as the show reuses the same stretch of back-lot highway adnauseum or try to pick out which cars will be involved in the upcoming crash. Want a hint? It's never a new one and usually bears the scars of previous crashes.

Overall, I like CHiPs. It's dorky, campy fun from a simpler time. It's fun to see shows like this are still out there.moreless

How exciting is it being a motorcycle cop? Pretty darn exciting!

By hamyslick, Mar 10, 2007

This how will derive any fame it gets from now becouse of Eric Estrada and whatever the hell he's doing nowadays. The real fans know that back in the day there was no rougher place to be for criminals than in the sights of officers Baker and Ponch. These guys actually made motorcycle cops look cool and seem very heroic. Unfortunitly, the cops haven't stood the test of time. The last memory of these cops that I have is Chips 99' and that was seriously the worst movie ever. Why they decided to do that, I don't know. They would have been laughed off the street any other period in time including before motorcycles were invented and they had motorcycles they still would be laughed at. Still thats why I lov eem'.moreless

Load More Reviews