Chopped

Show Reviews (100)

Fair

"Waste Not" Episode

By riptoid, Nov 19, 2014

I love watching Chopped. I have always admired the judges for judging fairly by judging food only. Well in this particular episode I feel a chef was sent home based on her attitude. Soon after she was reprimanded she was sent home. In all fairness, I have seen worst attitudes shown toward judges. Life is life and people will be people, the whole scene was unfair. I am not saying her attitude wasn't bad but if others don't want to deal with you, leave them alone. Their attitude isn't about you anyway. I have heard worst comments on this show. The judges just ganged up on that chef because they were in the position to do so. Judge the food leave her attitude in God's hands.moreless

no point

By lennik, Nov 12, 2014

A man made soup on a pizza theme.

No point in the show rules anymore

Charity chefs

By highlow12, Nov 12, 2014

I THINK YOU GUYS SHOULD STOP ASKING WHY THEY ARE THERE! ITS LIKE WHO EVER GOTS THE WORST HARD LUCK STORY OR STARTS TO CRY WINS. EVEN IF THEY DONT FOLLOW THE RULES. LIKE LEAVE OUT AN INGREDIENT. I LOVE THE SHOW. BUT PLEASE MAKE THE JUDGING FAIR AND TRULY MAKE IT ABOUT THE FOOD. DONT TURN A COOL ASS SHOW INTO SOMETHING MY TWO YEAR OLD CAN TELL IS RIGGED.

ULTIMATE CHOPPED BIASED & RIGGED - WILL NEVER WATCH AGAIN!

By AMYSALCOVE, Sep 29, 2014

THE RECENT ULTIMATE CHOPPED WHERE THE JUDGES SELECTED AN AMATEUR, SINGLE-MOM, ETHNICALLY DIVERSE OVER A WHITE MAIL PROFESSIONAL CHEF SMACKED OF BIAS AND FELT ENTIRELY RIGGED. I WILL NEVER WATCH AGAIN UNLESS THE SHOW CHANGES TO A "BLIND" FORMAT WHERE THE CHEF WHO COOKED EACH DISH IS NOT KNOWN.

too much bias in show

By dionkraft, Sep 27, 2014

after watching the ultimate chop show and some woman who never did go to culinary school beat out a chef with VASTLY higher experience I really feel this show is rigged and bias. To be be fair I think the judges should NOT KNOW who cooked what but each dish has just a number. And given a rating. Base on that it's even possible to have a tie as well. To decide that its one more cook off or double prize. Another peeve is that ech contestant does not have the full opportunity to utilize the kitchen. The Ice Cream machine comes to mind - first come first the pun. Each contestant should have use of a fully operational kitchen segregated from each other. They do not have to say 'behind' to anyone as they are fully isolated from each other. Everyone has a ice cream machine, blast chiller, refrig and you get the message.moreless

Disgusting sweat !!!

By linecoderre, Sep 16, 2014

I love this show, I learn from it. BUT, I find so disgusting that some chefs are sweating and dripping their sweat right on the plates while preparing them. If the judges critique lack of salt on some dishes, some of them end up with a whole lot more like sweat salt. Why are the women's hair not tied back, and men not wearing chef hats or something on their forehead to catch all those drips.

Very Interesting Show

By ScampTVCritic, Jul 30, 2014

Chopped is probably one of the better shows on Food Network. The concept is very creative, and I'm always interested to see what the contestants do with the ingredients they're given. The judges they bring in are also very likable. Their opinions are very constructive, and don't get too negative or rejectful like on Shark Tank. If you want some good competition and interesting meals, eat this one up.

It's covertly racist + sexist! Just Watched 4 episodes- same results

By FelicityNewman, Jul 16, 2014

Hi foodies,

I just had a Chopped marathon tonight via the Food Network, as I love cooking and find cook off challenges fun and entertaining to watch. Though the show does provide a good format for TV viewers to engage their senses and interest, Chopped is one food show I will never again watch in my life.

The four episodes viewed tonight were undeniably covertly racist and sexist. The show has a panel of three Caucasian, middle class chefs, judging four contestants, in these cases consisting of a variation of a token woman; the token Ethnically diverse man; and the consistently winning Caucasian white male.

"Chopped" Producers: diversifying your contestants should not just be some formulaic , predictable procession - here you have failed terribly and I daresay it borderline on being quite offensive, frankly.

It has been consistently shown in just these 4 shows that your judges clearly have their taste buds set on this order:

First; the clear loser loses; giving some relief to the audience.

Then, the woman gets cut;

Between the remaining Ethnically diverse man and Caucasian man; it's consistently shown that your winner is determined to the one who seeming represents your panel of judges best; the Caucasian chef.

I wish it wasn't so apparently formulaic and that I could just loose myself in the illusion of the show; but whether it be bad programming tonight or bad producing; you've really got to look into this aspect of your show because this will not work for the general viewers in the long run.

Good luck.moreless

don't know.

By kawaiimilksha, Jul 13, 2014

I'm a little on fence about my opinion of the show. While the concept is interesting enough, there are a few problems.

1. The rules: Each show has three rounds: "Appetizer, Entree, and Desert. Each contestant much incorporate the mystery ingredients into the dish, before time runs out. The Plate will be judged on taste, creativity, and presentation, if your plate doesn't cut it, you will be HOWEVER:

- What bothered me is that they continued to scoff the contestants based on technicality. For example: one judge may like their steak medium rare, one judge may like their meat well-done, so that becomes more of an opinionated critique.

2. They never really follow the rules.

Similar to the "opinionated critique" they feel like they have to chopped a contestant that left an ingredient off their plate. It's not their fault that they didn't know what to do with jellied eyeballs, and I'm not even trying to "excuse" that. I've seen other contestants that literally killed their dish with too many spices or perhaps their execution was just fucked up, but still remain in the competition because "hey, their dish sucked, but at least they got EVERYTHING on the plate. the rules never stated that the contestant had to be Chopped, however the judges decided that it's such an offense that they MUST be Chopped, one way or another.

3. The judges are condescending schmucks.

God, I despise most of the judges, simply because they use their position to talk down to the contestants. The primary judges that we see (Scott, Alex, Amanda) to name a few, have "so-called proper training. They're trained in Premier French and Italian cuisine, and their pretentiousness shines through their greasy faces. They feel entitled to critiquing contestants, just because they're not as rich and famous as them (is it me, or is it an occurring theme on FN that being famous equates to superiority, no matter how inadequate you are in the kitchen). Honestly, it's almost as if being on Chopped is a way for them to prove their worth in the kitchen.

However three of my least favorite ( I dislike most of them) but three in Particular are Maneet Chauan, Scott Conant. and Geoffery Zakarian:

- Maneet is a crude, cold bitch to say the least (excuse my language). Nothing is ever good for her, and whenever she lists the reasons why a chef got Chopped, she always has a sneer, if anything, she seems to be taking pleasure in the fact that she has the power to destroy a contestant's chance of winning ten grand, although the irony is the fact that she was the first to get chopped on "Chopped All-Stars".

- Scott Conant is a dickhole. I'm trying to refrain from exploding in anger. Apparently one of his pet peeves is "red onions" but hell, if I had that in my Mystery Basket, I'm gonna make it prevalent in my dish and YOU WILL EAT IT! If he's going to get pissy over some red onions he might as well not even be qualified to be a judge if he's scared of some red roots. My guess if that he doesn't want to eat it or else his breath will stink...

4. Racism? Probably not. Prejudice? Definitely.

-I have to say that I highly doubt that there's any racism in the show, like for example this black chef named Madison is phenominal, he's won three times in the Chopped. So is this cutie Asian named Jun Takanawa, and I would consider them as top-notch chefs, these are true inspiration for an aspiring cook. However, the preference stems from the fact that usually French and Italian chefs are the favorite among the judges, because apparently, they are portrayed as more refined, and that reflects on their own training. In their eyes, French and Italian are a must, because it speaks luxury and wealth. I dare them tell Soul Chef that their food isn't decadent, (afterall, in their eyes, all it's about is greasy fried chicken, glops of mashed potatoes, and thick, fatty gravy (which we all know is bull crap because who doesn't like soul food ;D.

Some of the ingredients are hellish:

-Actually, that's one aspect of the show I really like. It's interesting to create an apetizer out of black jelly beans, mustard, cotton candy, and pickled radish. Actually there was one review commenting about how unfair it was for the viewers to choose the ingredients, but I say bullock. Chopped isn't a walk in the park, and of course it's going to be difficult. As a chef, you're supposed to utilize unusual ingredients to create a delicious entree, apetizer, or dessert, and one female contestant was bitching about how she lost and the people who picked the basket couldn't cook it themselves. Newsflash: you're the goddamn chef, not us. *Sigh* I guess she was just a sore loser*.

And another thing I forgot to mention is the favor of the gay/lesbian winning. Please stop that shit, please. //gag//moreless

Chopped

By out4funno1, Jun 10, 2014

I think Chopped is only for those with culinary arts training, the episode where the Fireman competed against the resturant chef was garbage and the judges showed definate favortism toward to resturant chef over the fireman. he is a fireman, nowhere in his job descriptipon does it say anything about presentation at all. the show should have known that before recruiting him into the competition and therefore showed that unless you are a chef in a popular food setting you stand no chance of winning chopped.moreless

Load More Reviews