Chuck Versus the Fake Name

Episode Reviews (15)

Great

GOOD RIDDANCE TO HANNAH

By Boo_Radley, Sep 25, 2012

This episode opens with Ellie surprising Hannah in Chuck's shower, so they obviously hooked up, which is disappointing. Later, when the Buy More employees are assembled for a slow cooker demonstration. Hannah has her arms around Chuck and she's gazing at him, which is all she ever does. While Big Mike's talking, she gazes at Chuck again and whispers "I'm excited about dinner tonight." Chuck doesn't sound like he really cares, and he doesn't gaze at her with as much devotion as she gazes at him.

Apparent moments after this, she kisses him passionately in the middle of the Buy More and whispers "Hi, I missed those lips." Chuck sort of rebuffs her, saying "What, these old things? Ha ha ha." I'm pretty sure Chuck is supposed to be genuinely into Hannah, but it's not convincing. She just seems to be pursuing him for all she's worth. I'd kind of be grateful if Chuck said something like "look, I like you, but I need some space, especially at work. Please stop following me around like a lovesick puppy."

"I'm gonna be thinking about last night when I'm on my install" she says, before kissing Chuck again, still in the middle of the Buy More, still in front of everyone. Later, presumably after the install, they meet up again in the Buy More, and kiss. Later she makes a toast at dinner, celebrating the fact that her life is finally coming together, 24 hours after sleeping with the guy she chased all the way from France. Back at the Buy More the next day, she snatches Chuck's phone, and then invites him to meet her parents... 36 hours after sleeping with the guy she chased all the way from France. Then she ANSWERS Chuck's phone, which I consider a serious breach of etiquette. If the producers really want us to like this character, they need to stop letting Hannah get in the way and screw everything up.

The loved-up stuff makes for unpleasant viewing. Chuck and Sarah's relationship is too advanced at this point, and even Zachary Levi can't convince the audience that he's genuinely interested in anyone else. Likewise, Sarah's relationship with Daniel Shaw is forced and unrealistic. The awkwardness continues when Shaw answers the door in nothing but a towel. Though extremely handsome, he's too similar to her, and too two-dimensional, to be a pleasure to watch in the context of his relationship with Sarah. While she's trying to tell him about her fears for Chuck, Shaw is zipping up his pants in front of her. Explaining that both she and Chuck are changing because of their roles as spies, Shaw moves in for the kill and says, inappropriately, "well if this is you, I like you - I want more." She then tells Shaw her real name, which is unlikely when she wouldn't tell Chuck. "Well, I'm gonna kiss you now" says Shaw, clumsily. They do kiss, and then again at the end of the episode. There's a lot of kissing in this episode, and none of it is between Chuck and Sarah.

Shaw gets more interesting later in the series, but Hannah doesn't. Fortunately this is the last episode in which she appears. She departs as suddenly as she arrived, and Chuck doesn't seem too broken up about it. Hannah tells him "you're not a nice guy, Chuck." Although from her perspective she's justified in dismissing Chuck pretty rudely, she did bulldoze him into this very serious relationship, and as an audience we know Chuck IS a nice guy, so she comes across as kind of a harpy. As irritating as I find her in this role, I'm inclined to blame the writers for introducing a character, shoehorning her into an incredibly intimate relationship with the main character over an arc of 4 episodes, and failing to make her likeable.moreless

A better title should have been Chuck Versus the shark

By MichaelClark, Oct 15, 2011

Talk about Chuck jumping the shark. I am a bit late to the party. I just started watching this series. At first I felt nostalgic for the Ross/Rachel scenario. I found it insulting to read that the producers actually weighed their decisions based on the Friends' ratings. Friends was a thousand times better. The first offense was backpedalling from season two. The second offense was retconning Sarah's history. The third offense was Brandon Routh. Common sense after season two would be Chuck kicking ass, Sarah chasing him and Orion running the operation. The best shows of the past twenty years don't exist in a time capsule. The Shield, Friends, X-Files charactersall progressed. I purposely left out spoilers. Most readers will know my references.moreless

Chuck and his poofy hair is a bit of a jerkface.

By Super_Dooper, Jan 14, 2011

Not cool, Chuck. While it's obvious that Chuck is changing because of his increased spy-ness, his motivations are a bit unclear and a bit weak. Season 2 saw Chuck fighting for his normal life without serets and lies, and by episode 8 of season 3 we see a complete turn-around, with Chuck lying at every turn to keep his cover as a covert agent. This episode highlighted just how far Chuck has come. It seems that Chuck's rash decision at the end of Season 2 to become the intersect once more was his way of choosing his destiny. Working at a company like Roark was not for him and managing the Buy More would not satisfy Chuck either. It seems though that this has caused him to lose himself and it will be interesting to see whether he will continue on this path or whether Hannah is the last heart he breaks for a while. Warning: Chuck is no longer the nerd we know and love, ever since he poofed-up his hair he has turned into the jerky/cool guy at work who always seems to have something going on and treats his friends like crap!

Also: I kinda love what's happening between Sarah and Shaw, he's super-hot and just what she needs right now.moreless

I liked this one... Very Funny! And Casey is awesome!

By iamApollo, Nov 14, 2010

What an improvement over last week!

Ali Adler wrote this episode, and and this that this made a difference. And i watched it twice so that i got a proper feel for it.

Gotta say, I LOVED the conversation between the gangsters and Chuck about the Will They/ Wont They question bewteen him and Sarah. Great way to poke fun at the fans concerns, and i had a hearty chuckle!

Chuck as an assasin was surprisingly beleivable, and what good acting!

I gotta say, im still not feeling Shaw, but i hope this will change as the show moved foward.

Hannah was also awesome and i will be sad to see her go, and the fact that she called Chuck out on being an excellent lier and how he was not as a nice guy as he think he is, was very well played. And dumping her just minutes before he was supposed to have dinner with her parents, what a *insert approriate word of your choice here*.

Anywho liked the episode, loved the acting!

OH and Casey, what a BADASS! Seriously, letting someone rip a tooth outa your mouth, sans anesthetic, well its just BADASS. You gotta love Casey!

Bring on the next episode!moreless

I am a died in the wool "Chuck-a-holic" and I HATED most of it. Yes three little words can describe this episode for meā€¦painful to watch!

By scottnvini, Nov 14, 2010

I'LL try not to waist your time with a lot of complaining other then to say that I'M A hugefan have been since the beginning, and have never missed an episode. Even so I have to say I'm about fed up with the tired ramblings, twists and turns they continually to take to try to keep Chuck and Sarah apart, instead of putting the team together and letting the magic continue, and for what?!?!?!? Supposed higher ratings. I read a Blog in which Zach Levy and the producers where chatting about where the show was going and why. In this interview they said they continued to keep them apart to keep the ratings up...something about how the ratings had dropped when Rachel and Ross on "Friends" got together and it was because people were board. Sorry I'm so SICK of pretty boy Shaw and his bad acting that I'm about to stop watching the show period! I respectfully submit that if they want to REALLY see low ratings...keep not giving us the fans what we want...Check and Sarah together! I again respectfully submit to the Levy and the Producers, don't be scared...put our lovebirds together, pay the writers and trust them to keep the plot fresh...you won't be disappointed because without the dysfunctional twists they are throwing into the mix, the show is already magical!!!

Yvonne Strahovski and Adam Baldwin, were awesome as ever and, as well as the rest of the cast. It's not the cast it's the writing...the Buy More antics are even getting cold. Come on guys give us back our favorite show and keep it going up.

Hopefully they wake up in time to save this once highlight of our TV watching week.moreless

Difficult episode: poor story but excellent performance of the actors

By rei_vilo, Nov 14, 2010

This is an episode rather difficult to score.

On the one hand, the story is poor but consistent with the 3rd season going darker. Series are not forever, and inspiration could vanish. The plot seems to run dry, so the writers try to explore new areas, even if there aren't consistent with the main ark. On the other hand, Zachary Levi / Charles "Chuck" Irving Bartowski delivers an outstanding performance, playing both the foolish geek we love and the sinister spy ready to kill. The script gives him the perfect opportunity to deliver his very best.

However, there's really a question mark on this 3rd season, and the balance between fun and seriousness. Would the writers be able to deliver a 4th season with the same level of quality as in seasons 1 and 2?

My guess? Zachary Levi is ready for more than just a series, he's ready for a true movie.moreless

Chuck breaks up with Hannah.

By Canogaparkcindy, Nov 02, 2010

Even though this episode was pretty great, it was still sad to see that Hannah & Chuck broke up. In the beginning of the episode, Chuck & Hannah have had sex for the first time together. Ellie sees Hannah in the shower, and feels as though Chuck doesn't share enough with her. Meanwhile Chuck has to be someone else for a mission, he has to be a trained assassin. His mission is to kill Shaw & Sarah. In the process, he finds Shaw & Sarah kissing, and then finds out that Sarah's real name is Sam, something she never confessed to Chuck, but she confessed to Shaw. He still has to save them so he comes in to stage a fight with Shaw. His mafia buddies decide to shoot Shaw & Sarah for Chuck, but Casey saves the day, as stops them from shooting. He claims that the whole thing was an act. (Fighting Shaw). When really there was some truth in it. Shaw & Sarah start a relationship in the end. Something I disliked greatly. Hannah meets Chuck's family, which was nice, so now Chuck wants him to meet her family. On the night of meeting her parents, he breaks up with her, because of his hidden agenda. So sad & harsh, the way the writers took the break up. Also sad to see Kristin Kreuk's departure handled that way. Still a good episode, with amazing development.moreless

Talk about indifference!!!

By frostbite200, Oct 13, 2010

That's really the only word I can think, indifference!

This had the makings of an awesome episode. But it falls just short of greatness. To begin with, is it me or was Chuck totally convincing as Rafe?

The answer for me was yes. I mean really? Chuck owned was Rafe!

But did he own too much? I love the fact that he's growing and learning how to be better at what he does and I loved Levi's performance in this episode. But I missed Chuck's goofiness! Total indifference, I know. But that's not my major concern here. The two subplots aren't wonderful, they seem to be trying too hard to fit wrap up Chuck and Hannah's in a hurry. Where Jill's break up was interesting, I find it a little hard to care for Hannah and Chuck future in this episode. It feel to me as if they've filled in time with a couple of scene with a very quick Buy More subplot to establish and explain Morgan's absence while also setting up dinner with Ellie and Awesome. But at least Jeff and Lester cram enough of the obnoxious charm in there to make me laugh while the force information on me. But the Buy More happens to be the far more interesting story here and it's basically two small scene and I'm instead left with an okay, but rather dull, dinner with Ellie and Awesome. It would have been so much more interesting to have invited Morgan to dinner. Doing this would have instantly added comedy and drama to the situation, which were needed.

While also letting the Buy More subplot go ( would have missed it though!) to let the dinner scene breath!

But then I guess you would have been stuck with people expecting you to hook Hannah and Morgan and up after her break up with Chuck.

Oh well, Chuck as Rafe was well worth it!

But Shaw in boring!moreless

A good post-Olympics return for Chuck as writers get towards the middle of the season and the inevitable will they/wont they reunion between Sarah and Chuck

By jackieh88, Oct 05, 2010

A solid effort on Chuck this week, as he is forced to take on the alias of an assassin. The budding relationship between Hannah and Chuck is loved up for all of 20 minutes (seriously) as they flaunt their mushiness in the Buy More, much to the astonishment of their less-suave co-workers. Chuck/Hannah love is also embraced by big sis Ellie, who as a side note is getting less awesome and way whiny. Seriously. She's married, but she's no-ones mother yet. Writers please give her back a personality. Chuck tries to balance post-first time bliss with Hannah with his spy duties, taking on the alias of one of the world's most dangerous assassins. Sarah is shocked by the ease in which Chuck is able to master the role, confiding in Shaw as the two accept their mutual crush and make moves to get it on. Chuck of course, overhears (and sees) this exchange, because out of all the people his assassin persona could be chosen to kill, its someone in his close circle of acquaintances. Chuck realises he is losing his identity as he strives to become a spy, just as Sarah (who has now divulged her real name!!) realises just how much she misses her. Major dilemma being set up for the rest of the season as Chuck breaks up with Hannah (I never liked her anyways...) and Sarah accepts her feelings for Chuck will always trump her feelings for Shaw. Could've been stronger and the writers tried a little too hard to keep viewers on their toes, but overall it was a good episode, and Zach Levi who plays Chuck mastered the nerd-come-spy-come-deadly assassin role really well. I predict four more eps til the Sarah/Chuck tensions come to a head and we see the progression towards a season finale cliffhanger. Until then...moreless

A perfect start to the back order of the season. Chuck becoming a real awesome spy and some really, really heart warming moments.

By adedyal, Sep 01, 2010

Chuck is becoming increasingly more and more competent as a spy. I really liked how he could adopt this new persona so quickly and flash when needing to, it turns out that sarah may make him flash but in this episode he could not flash on Raif when sarah was in trouble and he was emotional. I think it is interesting how he is becoming less and less like the person sarah fell in love with, I like the way the season is going. My favourite moments are chuck with casey as usual, the way they communicate and get how casey showed an emotion and said I am proud of you. I think Chuck will come along well this season and reach a crossroad, what that is and what will happen is anybodies guess, but I hope Sarah sticks with him and his new skills and they do not remove the 2.0 intersect from his brain and lose all this forward movement they are making.moreless

Load More Reviews