Chuck Versus the Fear of Death

Episode Reviews (5)

Great

At first glance not the strongest of episodes but look a little deeper and you realize it might just be the perfect setup for something awesome.

By mightymongoose, Aug 26, 2011

In comparison to the episode that was aired two weeks ago this installment of Chuck was at first a little disappointing. The story never seemed to go anywhere and when the episode finished I felt as though it had only just really started to get into the swing of things. But then I looked a little deeper at the episode and things really started to make a lot of sense. I think they have taken this episode as an opportunity to attack some of the core issues with the show. First let's talk about the obvious one, Is Chuck really a spy or a simply a human host for the intersect with a kick-ass spy girlfriend? Though I love the intersect 2.0 and seeing chuck kicking ass along with Sarah and Casey, I have to say he seems more like the intersect's puppet than the spy he was becoming in the first two seasons. He used to have to save the day on his own merit where now he always relies on a Flash. I think this is one of the main issues they are addressing here. It is time to put this argument to bed once and for all and they have done a good job here of opening it up for some kind of resolution in the next episode. I hope that he keeps his intersect 2.0 abilities but I also hope that he learns to rely a little more on his own intellect as well.

Now the second issue, the Chuck Sarah relationship. Every die hard Chuck fan out there will probably tell you that they were dying to see them finally get together but at the same time that things have been awkward since they have been. This is a result of the fear of the loss of tension the lack of a will-they-wont-they relationship status has caused in the show. The writers don't seem to want the relationship to lose its chemistry but it seems that they have over compensated for this by giving them some problem to clash over in every episode. Again this episode has opened up this storyline nicely and might allow this to be put to bed finally in the next episode. Sarah has finally let slip that she still doesn't see Chuck as a spy and the next episode is where he really has to prove himself to her. Once he has done that and shown that he can look after himself, then they can concentrate on them becoming a team of equals that work well with each other rather than having Sarah constantly being his protector and trying to keep him out of trouble.

Rob Riggle (Agent Jim Rye) was the perfect catalyst to bring these questions out in the open and I couldn't help but see him as a future version of Chuck; a very confident and successful spy who still had that goofy/geeky/lovable sense of humor. The other story lines in the show were a little less deep, though I do approve of how they are finally starting to dig out some emotion from the previously two dimensional Casey character. It didn't delve too deeply but it was nice to see that while Casey is still Casey, he is finally starting to come around to his life in Burbank. Overall I think that this episode did exactly what it set out to do and that was give us an opening to what promises to be a corker of an episode next week. All I can say to sum up is damn them for making us wait two weeks only to leave us a cliff hanger for another week... I can't wait to see what happens next.moreless

It's nice to have a two parter for once...Wait...Did I just get shot?

By BrushYourTeeth, Jun 01, 2011

Both story lines had funny all over (though this hampered some of the "fear" aspect of Intersect regaining) and it ended with an interesting twist...that for what's seemed like awhile not everything gets wrapped up in the 42 minutes of show.

Rob Riggle, who I was always a fan of on his Daily Show segments, was a blast here as a CIA agent who was going to use fear, instead of "kittens playing with yarn" to yank the psychological rock off the Intersect in Chuck's mind. His over the top approach was fun to see and I really thought it would work to get the intersect back and working. It was nice to find out this wasn't the case and it isn't something so simple as placing someone in fear inducing situations to get them to remove a psychological block.

The fact that there was going to be some Chuck and Sarah relationship problems gave me some caution when watching, but since this isn't some silly little problem, it worked well for the story of this presumably only two-parter. Their talk with massaging (nice lack of clothes Sarah!) was the precursor to the sudden reveal that Sarah doesn't really feel he is a spy. I understand why she could feel this, as he needs the Intersect to do the fighting bit, but his mind without the intersect has always been helpful and she initially overlooked it in this episode. Her desire to get Chuck back at the end of the episode was priceless well played by Yvonne.

Casey considers everyone friends?!?! It was great to hear this confession and it was interesting he was a tad fearful of being reassigned to a tour of duty in hostile territories...because he would miss his friends. I like Alex and I wish we would see more of her!

The subplot revolving around Jeffster investigating Greta, played wonderfully by a Summer Glau who was channeling a tad more emotional Cameron from the Terminator series, was funny as usual with a great ending. I was beginning to wonder, can the real employees of the Buy More really not find new co-workers with the same name suspicious?

As for Chuck out in the Alps, I was a little surprised to see him put himself through such a possibly dangerous mission, but there were more than enough hints he really regretted his decision. I think the rock holding down the Intersect is the fact that everyone, especially Sarah, would find him obsolete without the intersect. He shouldn't really fear that, but when Sarah proclaimed that she felt he wasn't a spy, this didn't help.

Riggle's character's death was funny and fitting over the guy, as I was beginning to wonder why no one was interrupting him. I would have liked to see him again in an episode down the line. The fact that Chuck was captured was a nice ending...in that it broke up the norm. Which is why I really enjoyed the episode.moreless

Good action and we got a little friction between Chuck and Sarah.

By mulderscully09, Jan 18, 2011

I actually liked very, very much of this episode. We got everything that makes Chuck such a great show: comedy, action and a little drama that was more than called for this time. Chuck and Sarah's relationship is getting to a point where we need to see them arguing or having a fight, just to get out of the usual 'I love you' that we have been getting latelly. Morgan is so great trying to balance his friendship with Casey and his realationship with Casey's daughter. Casey was hilarious with that itchy trigger finger of his. Made me laugh so hard when he was telling his torment to Sarah. LOL

Highlight of the episode was the whole action in Switzerland and the death of that agent and the argument by webcam between Sarah and Chuck. And we are left with a big cliffhanger in the end. I LOVE cliffhangers. It leaves us all tingling for next week.moreless

Great episode. Product placement was insane.

By langdonj, Nov 27, 2010

This was an amazing episode concerning Chuck and his life without the intersect again. It was well written and Rob Riggle was amazing as he is in everything he's in. Riggle trying to rip the intersect out of Chuck was the best part of this episode. The only reason I rated this episode down was the blatant marketing of Apple and the Iphone. On the lighter side "Jeffsters" investigations into the "Gretas" was amazing. To think that they wouldn't recognize an amazingly hot chick like Summer Glau it naive and the writers played this fact brilliantly. Great episode dragged down by the greed for monees and marketization.moreless