Chuck Versus the Third Dimension

Episode Reviews (19)

Great

I don't understand why this got a lower rating..I loved it!

By mmmshuddup, Nov 05, 2011

I guess I'm just a fan of Charlie from Lost haha. That guy is too classic. I unfortunately don't have 3D glasses so I was forced to watch the entire episode with too much green. But that's ok. I thought it was a good episode overall and a classic ending.. We all know Chuck secretly almost needs the missions now.. it reminds me of the movie Confessions of a Dangerous Mind...only obviously less serious haha.

Cool when Chuck gets serious and actually does a good job...that was a smart move with the phone. Nice!

These last few words are only to get up to my 100 word minimum as I have nothing left to say about the episode.moreless

Chuck's Day Off

By saleblanc, Jul 20, 2010

Not my favorite episode. The 3-D affects were unnecessary and simply gave me a headache. The script as a whole was actually okay and believable. Everyone needs a day off now and then, even spies. Chuck's simply request turns out to be Chuck learning his purpose and that he's okay with it. Helping a rock star help others, Chuck learns that he's actually okay with being a spy and saving the world. A rockstar having tattoos that he doesn't understand was actually pretty clever and the twist that they mean something to others was kinda interesting. However, I wonder if he realizes the pain he's going to indure getting them removed??moreless

Chuck set the table with the Super Bowl, but served botulism when the guests arrived

By swagvalance, Jul 20, 2010

I have been following it since its inception. While in winter hiatus, I was surprised to learn both that a) the show had been generally struggling to find an audience, and b) found its audience as recently as December as bloggers et al started playing up its praises.

So NBC uses the promotional vehicle of the Super Bowl to put Chuck into overdrive, since it seems worth their airtime investment now. So they slap on some 3-D hype to take it up a notch further. But there's something about Super Bowls that turn everything good into rubbish. To quote The Simpson's Comic Book guy: "Worst episode EVER."

The big problems were in the script. It was about as contrived as I have ever seen this show. And where there are often redeeming clever moments, almost none could be found in this episode.

Start with special guest star Dominic Monaghan exhuming his Charlie Hume rockstar persona (which was never that convincing to begin with) from "Lost". Add robotic interplay and dialog between the characters. Add forced mayhem on a hotel elevator, complete with a pretty routine stunt where the director could not be bothered to hide the black nylon knee straps securing the stunt man to the glass elevator. Even the supposed international incident of a rock star being blown up (by unconvincing bad guys, no less) lacked much of the usual mystique and intrigue behind a typical Chuck mission.

The show mostly came off as a bad self-parody. And even bad TV series really don't start this hard down the self-parody road until at least season 3.

Trying to think of anything redeeming, the writers did not drag out the usual "missed important personal conversation" routine (between Chuck and Sarah re: a certain shooting), though they came close. But when they did put an end to it at the conclusion of the show, it came off as a murky, less-than-meaningful, unresolving cop-out. The "revelation" seemed to change little between either character.

And the sophomoric stunts back at the Buy More were at some of their gross-out worst. The audience to show capable of being this clever deserves more than to be bludgeoned with eating contests and consuming urinal cakes.

This episode needed more of the rational influence of Chuck's sister, Ellie, and less self-indulgence as a second-rate nod to Tom Green. John (Adam Baldwin) was about the only character to escape from this show with some dignity in tact still.

Hopefully the producers of Chuck have not pulled an on-air Budd Dwyer in their first big chance at the spotlight. And hopefully with the Super Bowl dementia cleared away, it can get back to its old, good habits.moreless

A message I sent to NBC.

By Mickey73, Jul 20, 2010

I'm totally disappointed, as usual, in NBC. This 3D idea was a total crap, very distracting, very stupid. We know that NBC has become very desperate lately, but to ruin a perfectly good show like this, come on.

We don't have those stupid 3D glasses, you also changed the colors so the ones we had from previous shows don't work on this one. Plus, for someone who wears glasses, it doesn't really work. At least, rebroadcast this episode in 2D at a later date.

And, to top it all, your online show is not available for us because we're on another planet called Canada. You know, where we're so retarded here we can't get your shows. It's a wonder I'm able to communicate with you, you might need a translator to read this message.....

It's our fault for watching American TV, or even American shows. Maybe we should stick to our 3rd. world Canadian TV.

Just show us 2D shows, don't get too fancy, you're not good enough. If I wanted fancy, I'd go on the internet.moreless

Chuck in 3D...

By vman85, Jul 20, 2010

Well I couldn't really get into this episode; reason probably being it was in 3D and I didn't have the Specs to see but still enjoyed it. You can still watch the episode without the glasses, and, a couple of moments aside, it looks fine the colours are a bit off, but it's not blurry or fuzzy. And the episode itself is another entertaining one with a great guest performance by Dominic Monaghan as Rock Star Tyler Martin. Tyler comes into the story when he does a signing at the Buy more and it turns out some shady characters are after him for reasons unknown. Chuck is asked to keep a eye on him by Sarah and Casey, which turns into Chuck going out to party with him something Chuck isn't that resistant too, feeling like he's losing any time of his own thanks to being pulled into the spy world, and still reeling from seeing Sarah kill a man. Of course, the danger Tyler is in comes into play, turning Chuck and Tyler's excellent adventure into a very dangerous night.moreless

Good episode, but really stupid to do this in 3D. Especially for all the foreign people. I watched it cause I'm a die hard, but this is not the way to get new fans!

By Nadjazz, Jul 20, 2010

This litterly gave me a headache. Yes I watched it anyway, because the content was really good. I just hate that they discriminate between people with a 3D glasses and without. If I had the glasses I would not complain. It would still not be the best episode Chuch has ever had, but it is not the worst either. I would not give a 1. This 5,5 shows that it is a good episode but also a warning to NBC for doing this. One time might be funny, but please do not do this again. I would also like to see a little bit more romance in the show. In the beginning it had all the eliments, but they are making it more action and less romance. Me as a female watcher would enjoy it now and than.moreless

Solid episode, even without the glasses

By sramv9, Jul 20, 2010

After reading a couple of negative reviews, I was worried I'd hate this episode, but it turned out to be one of the more enjoyable shows I watched this week. I laughed, felt the usual affection for Chuck's lovably sweet while super-smart character, enjoyed the rock star character and plot, and was happy to see that Casey was back to his hard-nosed agent persona and not continuing to get more and more sentimental/mushy over time. The show seemed to be trying to be accessible to new audiences but they didn't alienate me in the process. The resolution of Chuck's feelings about Sarah's pre-Christmas cold-blooded killing of an enemy agent unfolded nicely over the course of the show. This was satisfying but at the same time left a certain amount of the intrigue in tact for future episodes - i.e., Chuck is happy with things and his trust in Sarah is restored... for now... but does he really know all there is to know about this?moreless

Worst episode of Chuck to date.

By logossun, Jul 20, 2010

I really like this show, but man, get rid of the lazy writing!

This is now complete rehashing of most episodes so far, with nothing, absolutely nothing to be learned or advanced from this episode. The suspense was bland, the Buy More contest quite idiotic and the visiting rock star angle anything but adrenaline-rising. As the series progressed, the actors really got into the groove with their roles - but if they don't have the writing to support this, i.e. advance their characters, all this goes nowhere. Yes, I get it, Chuck is awkward and cute and innocent and Casey is tough and relentless... I GET IT, let's move on somewhere - anywhere, because as it is, the series is going - nowhere.moreless

You can really see Red and Blue in that so people can wear the 3-D Glasses to watch it in 3-D.

By boisvert593, Jul 09, 2010

Red and Blue there

Red and Blue here

Red and Blue Everywhere.

You can really see them in 2-D.

But with the 3-D Glasses you can see it in 3-D.

Chuck uses a good thing in his head.

To see if there are any bad guy going ahead of you.

Buy More (Best Buy)

Nerd Herd (Greek Squad)

Oh come on.

This is one of the shows I recorded on my DVD+R Disk on my DVD Recorder.

NBC Breaking News on Chuck is on Monday Nights at 8 PM/7 CT

Ok you know what people says "Get in the Car Chuck"

Chuck says "Get in the Car"

You will be safe in there.

Bye.moreless

Chuck does some crowd surfing.

By XooKey, May 13, 2010

Great episode that revolves around a rock star named Tyler Martin. Someone is trying to kill Tyler and it is up to the team to find out who and why. In order to protect Tyler, Casey shoots a tranquilizer dart into him that is suppose to keep him out for a day or so, but Tyler is waking up every couple of hours. They identify the person trying to kill Tyler as Achmed Gambir. What has been going on is Tyler has been getting a tattoo on his back that holds some secret information about nuclear weapons in North Africa. Tyler's manager has been involved in it since the beginning. Tyler finally learns of the plot to kill him when two beautiful women try to seduce him then try to kill him.

Tyler agrees to go onstage for his concert as bait to lure Achmed Gambir into the arena to that Sarah and Casey can catch him. He goes to Tyler's dressing room to kill him, but Chuck stalls him long enough for him and Tyler to escape. Achmed is finally caught by Casey as he is about to throw a knife at Tyler.

This movie had a humorous sub-plot. To start off Big Mike hires a friend name Jimmy (played by Jerome Bettis) who just got out of prison. Continuing the sub-plot, a golden ticket has been placed in a CD of Tyler Martin's and the winner got a free pass to the concert including back stage. Morgan and crew open up all of the CD's until they find it. Morgan holds a contest to see who will go with him and Jefferson wins. In the end Morgan gives the ticket to Jimmy. Jimmy in turn sells it to another employee for $800 and quits moving to Philadelphia.

Hasn't been my favorite episode, but having Jerome Bettis in it boosted its rating for me.moreless

Load More Reviews