Coach

Show Reviews (22)

Great

Grew up watching

By gracielove, Nov 10, 2012

Original idea. Great show.

Probably won't go down in history as the greatest SitCom ever in the history of English language SitCom's, and probably won't go down as the worst either.

By jduck1979, Sep 29, 2011

Good show for padding out the post-midnight schedule, which is where I first saw it on UK's "ITV" channel while waiting for other shows to come on.

Coach Hayden Fox deals with his girlfriend and news anchor Christine Armstrong, His football team, His coaching staff, his daughter, Ex wife, and the rest of the school faculty. In this funny early 90's sitcom.

By Baycityrookie, Aug 05, 2008

Although the show was a little before my time. I remembered my parents always watching the new episodes and they loved them. I began watching them on USA network, and couldn't get enough, so I went out and bought DVD's Season 1-3. Hayden Fox is an alpha male football coach at the Minnesota State University, who is selfish and hard headed in a very funny way. Christine his girlfriend and wife later on in the show is a very good compliment to Hayden's hard style. My favorite character in the show, is Hayden's bestfriend and defensive corodinator Luther Van Dam. Luther is a very cautious man, who always thinking the worst and freaking out. Dauber is a former player of Hayden, who was in school for over 8 years, and becomes an assistant coach after graduating. Kristine is Hayden's Daugther who joins him at Minnesota State and marries Drama major Stuart, who Hayden can't stand. Other characters come in making life at Minnesota St hectic for Coach Hayden Fox. If you like a funny sitcom and also like sports like me, this is the way to go. This show offers a little of everything. Hayden and Luther's adventures are fun and make the show great. I give this show a 10 out of 10. Great original sports comedy!moreless

This was an awesome show back in the late 1980s and early and mid-1990s and today it still is!

By PercytheGreen, Jan 13, 2008

"Coach" is a silly, but funny show. Ever since it first debuted on ABC in 1989, it got funnier and funnier. I own most of the VHSs and I have the first and second season DVD box sets. My brother likes this as well. It ran from 1989 to 1996, but at least we still see the reruns on USA Network. At first, I've never heard of that show, but when my brother introduced me to it, I liked it. The one-hour special was funny and also it had flashbacks of the funniest episodes in the past. Way to go, Barry Kemp! You rule!moreless

A sitcom based on football coach hayden Fox, this show is one of my favorite's of all time. Dohmar is my #1 dumb-guy of all time.

By hamyslick, Mar 09, 2007

This show was on for 8 years and I still feel that it wasn't appreciated. I'm young but I don't hear anyone mentioning Coach with the greatest of all time. This show was special from the get-go becouse the cast immediatly bonded together. Seriously, give the person who hired these people a raise! Through the years I watch old episodes and feel good, the performance of Craig T. Nelson is really great. He was maid for t.v. and even through he played on the district, his best performance was the one he made on Coach. Also Jerry van Dyke was something special too, he was a great complimant to Nelson's character.moreless

I can't help watching it evey morning on USA

By keangal, Jan 28, 2007

I didn't get a chance to watch the series when it officially aired but instead caught up with it on USA and have to say I have been hooked since. Watching Coach Fox gradually change from the overbearing Neanderthal from the first season to the bargaining with a little girl for my sons Barbie doll has been an unforgettable treat that I can't resist watching repeatedly on USA. Taking the bumbling Minnisota Screaming Eagles football team and turning them into State Champions with the help of the kind hearted yet dim witted Dauber and Fox's best friend the insatiable appetite Luther was also a pleasure.

The biggest influence in Fox's personal life though was Christine. From the dinner where they met, that he encouraged her to run out on her date...something Pristine Christine would blanche at thinking of doing to all the times she helped diffuse an argument or repair a frayed relationship with his equally headstrong daughter.

Coach was one of those shows that grabbed you when you happened upon it and had you hanging on till the end.moreless

A fine show from the 90\'s. Genuinely funny from episode to episode. It did lose some steam past the 5th season or so. All and all a show worth TiVoing on USA.

By revidium, Nov 12, 2006

I watched Coach in my youth. I was around 10 when the show began and I watched it well into high school. I\'ve recently watched it all the way through on USA with the assistance of TiVo. It reminded my what a classic this show is. The structure of the show was a big part of its charm. The opening segment was usually a self-contained gag. Someone was usually doing something dumb whether it be Luther, Dauber, or Hayden. These little openings always had a way of getting you in the mood for some good wholesome humor. In the 9 seasons they did the show managed to stay relatively fresh. Though, I\'d say past the 5th season or so there were hints of losing steam. What really kept this show going was Coach himself. His brash and sometimes dimwitted demeanor was the source of a lot of great story lines. Though as Hayden matured through the diligence of his wife Christine, the well of that humor seemed to dry up a bit. All and all a fine show, worth another look.moreless

One of the best sitcome of the 80's

By Darth-Revan45, Oct 28, 2006

If you dont know who he is, Craig T Nelson [the star] was in The Incredibles. Now that you know who he is, Coach was a sitcom about a man who was a coach for a college [simple, like Cheers]. Coach is still great after all these years and I need to get the DVD of it.

The early seasons are best, when AG (Angus?)Mckuy was still writing for ABC. The addiing of characters was this show\'s undoing.

By Filmbufface, Aug 21, 2006

Forget Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls--the team that really ruled the late \'80s and early \'90s was the Minnesota State Screaming Eagles, led bravely and bumblingly by Coach Hayden Fox, played with pitch-perfect timing by Craig T. Nelson. In the first season of Coach, the characters are introduced and take off full-tilt: Coach\'s long-estranged daughter, Kelly (Clare Carey), decides to attend his college to re-forge a relationship with him; his spunky newscaster girlfriend, Christine (a sparkling Shelley Fabares), tries to balance love and work; and the dudes in Coach\'s locker room provide hapless laffs by the helmetful. The writing is crisp and the acting, led by Nelson\'s endearing, Emmy-winning performance, is great across the board. The women around Coach seem to have their acts together far better than do the men, which leads to classic sitcom misunderstandings. Another highlight is Assistant Coach Luther Van Dam (Jerry Van Dyke), a guy\'s guy with no internal censoring ability. The Limited Edition includes all 13 Season One episodes, a \"sneak peak bonus\" episode from Season Two, a cool documentary called The Great \'80s TV Flashback (beware of flying shoulder pads), and a cute fake pigskin package. Now let\'s get on out there and show what the Screaming Eagles can do!

I think that this is one of the more underrated series of the late 90\\\'s. It was tough to compete against such series as \\\"Cheers\\\" \\\"Seinfeld\\\" and \\\"The Cosby Show\\\" I am sure, but if that show were to debut now it would be more of a hit then it was. (Much like \\\"Wings\\\" in that effect)moreless

Load More Reviews