Community's First Season 5 Trailer Is Here, and Jeff Winger Is... a Greendale Professor?!? (VIDEO)

By Tim Surette

Dec 09, 2013

First thing first! Watch this trailer for Community's fifth season, which premieres January 2 with back-to-back new episodes.

I'm fully expecting half the female students at Greendale Community College to do that "Eye Love You" thing from Raiders of the Lost Ark when Community returns for Season 5 because get this: JEFF WINGER IS A TEACHER IN COMMUNITY SEASON 5! Or at least that's the case according to this new promo for the upcoming Harmonful season.

Is this even allowed? Can the leader of the study group be the one who makes them study? This... this... might be able to work? With Dan Harmon returning to his former role as the drunken sea captain of this out-of-control whimsical barge, I'm guessing it will be fine. And I'm assuming everything in the trailer was clipped from the first episode of the season, so anything can happen further down the line. Chang went from professor to student, Jeff could too.

A few things to note based on the footage:

• It doesn't look like anyone from the study group takes Jeff's class. But Garrett is!
  • Jeff's solo lawyering venture went bad. Real bad.
  • The Greendale teacher's lounge looks like a fun place to hang out.
  • Hey, it's Mike Ehrmentraut as one of Jeff's fellow professors!
  • Abed makes a nice plant.

What do YOU make of this Jeff-as-a-teacher wrinkle?

• Comments (103)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • VictoriaWrigh2 Dec 11, 2013

six seasons and a movie!

• emmyfg Dec 11, 2013

Can't wait for this! Let's pretend that season 4 never happened.

• babelak Dec 10, 2013

I did suspect that they would make him a teacher in order to keep him in the show. Other cast members could potentially make the same transition - Shirley could teach small business skills whilst still running her sandwich shop, Abed some sort of media studies whilst being a Youtube filmmaker, Annie could be a part-time forensics lab tech whilst teaching organisational skills....

• Rolamb Dec 10, 2013

To be honest, I don't think so. They are not teacher material and if the show would put them on that spot, it would be like a normal comic show giving us awkward moments. That's not the way Community is doing things.

• JT_Kirk Dec 10, 2013

That clip was cut in an amusing movie trailer way, but the underlying content does have me worried for intercharacter dynamics, so I'm clicking "gonna have to see first". Still, I am quite confident that they can pull off the show no matter what.

• Rolamb Dec 10, 2013

So, if you're confident, you should have gone for the 'sign me up' one.

• JT_Kirk Dec 11, 2013

The question is about Jeff as a teacher, not about the show overall.

• dodge_hickey Dec 10, 2013

Obligatory "Streets Ahead!"

• Rolamb Dec 10, 2013

Yeaaaah, what a great opening for the fifth season. So much anticipation and so much love. Although the fourth season wasn't that great, it had episodes (like most of the puppet one) that were better then most of the other comical shows. So looking forward to it.

I often run into reruns on Comedy Central and always stay on watching them. After hours I realise the world has moved on, but who minds.

• dodge_hickey Dec 10, 2013

Their Freaky Friday parody was the best of series 4 (and that's not because Jim Rash is one of my favorite film makers)

• slipknot1485 Dec 10, 2013

This trailer is so awesome. It doesn't even look like it's for a tv show. It looks like its for a movie. It has that vibe. I'm so pumped for it. Pop Pop!! #SixSeasonsAndAMovie

• efonsecajr Dec 10, 2013

Wow. This looks very good.
    I skipped this past season. Is there anything I need to know going into this season?

• TQB Dec 10, 2013

Watch the puppet episode. It was worth it.

• Hungry_Homer111 Dec 10, 2013

Jeff met his dad. Britta and Troy broke up after they (and presumably the writers) realized they had no chemistry. Jeff graduated (explaining why he's back at his lawyer job before it fails), and so did Pierce.

... I think that's it.

• efonsecajr Dec 10, 2013

Troy/Britta had anti-chemistry! Glad writers realized that. Winger graduated and met his dad? Heard it was somewhat anti-climactic.

• LukCPL Dec 10, 2013

Wow, the trailer looks cool, cool cool cool :)

• MandySCG Dec 10, 2013

This gives me great hope!

• See More Comments (34)