Hulu Might Revive Community for Season 6

By Tim Surette

May 29, 2014

We all knew this would happen, didn't we? Hulu—the streaming-video site owned by a bunch of mega-corporations that is currently battling Netflix and Amazon (and losing)—is in talks to revive the recently canceled NBC sitcom Community, according to Deadline. Which means that yes, the show's famous #sixseasonsandamovie prophecy might come true after all. 

But before you get too excited or angry or verklempt, let's get one thing out of the way right up front: Community's potential revival is just that—a potential revival. As in, all that's happening right now are discussions, and Season 6 is in no way guaranteed. 

Also, of course Hulu is talking to Sony Pictures TV about saving the low-rated, beloved-by-a-passionate-few (including yours truly) cult comedy. This news should surprise no one—especially since Sony floated the idea of resurrecting the show pretty much as soon as it was axed. 

Point is, we should all temper our hopes. 

And with all that said, OMFGOFMOGMOMFMOGMOFMGMOFOMMFGF! Take my money and my firstborn, Hulu! Community's fifth season proved that the series still had some magic left in its hat, and if any comedy is destined to eke out a sixth season, however miraculously, it's Community. Not only are there are plenty of reasons to be excited about a platform like Hulu and the creativity it could offer a show Community, but even mediocre episodes of Community are better than half the network sitcoms out there. 

However, we also have to remember that once Donald Glover said goodbye to the seriesCommunity did have trouble filling the void left in Troy's wake. And if I were Sony TV, I wouldn't let the Hulu version of Community stray too far from the 22-minute format since there's still syndication money to be had.

All of Community's important "stakeholders," including series creator Dan Harmon, are reportedly into the idea on paper. Again, a sixth season is still a long way from a done deal, but for you Greendale fanatics out there, it's the first step toward hope. 

• Comments (118)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • RickFeguer Jun 13, 2014

were called the human beings not greendale fanatics

• tygerstripes Jun 06, 2014

Is there anything Community's fan base can do to ensure its renewal with Hulu? Letters to Hulu? Letters to sponsors? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

• WillianStein May 31, 2014

whose do I have to leave dog poo in front of to make sure this happens?

• Mrtmcfly May 30, 2014

Make it happen!!

• mrjimmyjames May 30, 2014

The near impossible may actually be accomplished! Now the only question is how will a movie get made? Kickstarter? We're probably more likely to get a seventh season than a movie.

• MightyMad May 29, 2014

No dancing 'til all the paperworks have been signed and processed.

By the way... someone needs to tell Tim's wife to hide their kid from him. It's a good show, man, but it's just a show.

• Spoontown May 29, 2014

Let it die, seriously let it die, the Harmon helmed Season 5 was meh a lot of the time, it worked OK before people started leaving but there's just no mileage left. Hulu should spend the money on something new or a show like Happy Endings which deserved more than it got.

• slayme3 May 30, 2014

Or you could just - you know - not watch - while still not wishing to deprive the rest of us a season 6.. just sayin....

• Mate May 29, 2014

Have a shortened season of everyday life at Greendale. And then have the movie being Troy's comeback.

• colbyfromage May 29, 2014

As long as Dan Harmon is at the helm, it'll be great! Troy's absence didn't reduce the show for me, really. It was just like real life; people move, life goes on. Everyone adjusted, including Abed. I thought that was an extremely interesting aspect of Season 5, actually.

• slipknot1485 May 29, 2014

Please Hulu make it happen!!! By the way I find it funny on the report on Deadline that it says Sony has a good reputation of keeping shows alive. I disagree, they didn't save Happy Endings. That's a BIG mistake there. Happy Endings needs another season maybe not now (with cast & crew on different projects), But down the road. #SixSeasonsAndAMovie

• See More Comments (56)