FiveSeasonsAndThat'sIt: Hulu Won't Be Saving Community

By Tim Surette

Jun 24, 2014

Abandon all hope, ye who believe Community will find a new home somewhere else. Well, abandon most of your hope. After NBC canceled the cult comedy this spring, the inevitable "Community is in talks with [digital media outlet]" started with Hulu, who was said to be interested in bringing the series back for a sixth season.

Well that ain't happening, says TV Line. Talks between Community's studio, Sony Pictures TV, and Hulu have ended, leaving the future of Community relegated to late-night repeats. 

Unless of course another outlet comes about to save the day, but they'd need to do it quick. The contracts of the Greendale Gang (well, the actors) expires on June 30, at which point getting them all on board to sign on for more Community would become that much more difficult. And whatever little bird is talking about the Hulu deal also hints that another suitor is currently considering saving Community and that Sony is definitely not ready to give up, according to TV Line, so once again we can all cling on to that last shred of hope instead of accepting the inevitable. 

• Comments (42)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • asimbariscicek Jun 30, 2014

Breaking news: http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/community-renewed-by-yahoo-for-sixth-season-movie-to-follow

• loldude1 Jun 28, 2014

I was hoping that someone would take a chance and give this show a mini-season like 6 episodes so technically it would reach the magical Sixth Season. Then we could all chip in for the Kickstarter-funded movie. Heck, if "Veronica Mars" can do it...

• JT_Kirk Jun 25, 2014

I knew it, I knew NBC-co-owned Hulu was just going to end up a stall tactic to keep other outlets from snatching it up. It's too bad really, this show could have given TBS or Netflix or Amazon Prime a very nice feather in the cap, even crown jewel, but instead it got jerked around in a game of entertainment industry shenanigans, and now we all lose.

• nexpose Jun 25, 2014

It's just too much of a different dynamic without Pierce and Troy so I don't think there's much more to do. The return of Harmon ended up to be way over-rated since even with him back it wasn't that great of a 5th season. They may have made it longer if they didn't go off on such extreme tangents but still stay on the proper Community track.

• Tvking00 Jun 25, 2014

5 seasons is more than most cult types shows get so im cool with it. Im just happy Community is one of those one season wonders type shows.

• Placebo_obecalP Jun 25, 2014

5 seasons was pretty good, it's not as if it was a consistently brilliants series, I'd estimate that only 1/3 of the episodes made me laugh out loud. Plenty of shows I absolutely adored didn't even get more than 1 season so 5 is something to be thankful for.

• docspector Jun 25, 2014

Nothing to do now but wait for the asteroid to hit.

• MintberryCrunch Jun 25, 2014

"and that's canon"

• The_Loc_Nar Jun 25, 2014

If a show was going to be renewed, I think it should be Almost Human. That was a terrific show that never got a real chance....

• edshrinker Jun 25, 2014

Amen. Unfortunately Karl Urban is about to start filming Star Trek 3 in late fall/early 2015

• DrSpongejr Jun 25, 2014

I still have a feeling we'll get a sixth season...eventually.

• B-a-n-e Jun 25, 2014

I was going to say bring back Veronica Mars and Arrested Development while they're at it... but I guess those two are covered... so maybe there is hope.

• See More Comments (19)