NBC Sets January Premiere Dates for Community and Chicago P.D.

By Kaitlin Thomas

Oct 18, 2013

Hallelujah! Get out your datebooks, fellow Human Beings, because NBC has finally announced a return date for Community! The series' ordered-against-all-odds fifth season will debut with back-to-back episodes on Thursday, January 2 from 8pm to 9pm. Then it will remain at 8pm on Thursday, January 9, followed by Parks and Recreation's 100th episode at 8:30pm. Parks and Rec will finish out its sixth season in the 8:30pm time period. I'm going to go ahead and take complete credit for this one—and for the cancellation of Ironside and Welcome to the Familysince I just lamented the recent lack of Community developments in Wednesday's News Briefs. So you're welcome, world!

Also receiving a spot on NBC's midseason schedule is Dick Wolf's new drama Chicago P.D.: Set your DVR for Wednesday, January 8 at 10pm. If you're wondering why Chicago P.D. sounds so familiar, almost like something that's already on the air, it's probably because the show is a spin-off of Chicago Fire, which is also a Dick Wolf series and stars Jason Beghe and Jon Seda in the roles they originated on Chicago Fire, Detective Hank Voight and Detective Antonio Dawson, respectively. Former One Tree Hill star Sophia Bush also stars, as Windy City cop Erin Lindsay. 

Unfortunately, there is still no word on a premiere date for Chicago Water Treatment Plant.

Are you excited for Community's return? Are you planning on watching Chicago P.D.?

• Comments (57)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • JamesLeyva Oct 21, 2013

You know it's a good day when you get on and the news you were waiting to see is right on the front page. Can't wait for Harmon's epic return to the show, and to see what the next semester has in store for Greendale

• gmanBegins Oct 20, 2013

Dick Wolf! Ladies and Gentleman!!..Has the key to getting any series started on NBC..Make it DIFFERENT but the SAME!! and have NBC BIG WIGS ON SPEED DIAL!

• Watashii Oct 19, 2013

Can't wait for Chicago PD. I'm hooked on Chicago Fire since late last season. It really is a drama show instead of what it was initially perceived which was "Grey's Anatomy: Firehouse edition". Its not, it really has interesting characters. Although Chicago PD will probably be a procedural, I hope they focus more on the drama and characters like Chicago Fire.

• sunnysfunny Oct 19, 2013

Yes, I'll check out Chicago PD. Ever since binge watching Southland I need my cop drama fix!

• Derpanos Oct 19, 2013

Southland was undoubtedly (in my view) the best cop drama on television. Period. It was authentic, gritty, full of compelling characters, and always knew how to shock the audience--in the right manner. I'll never forget the series' penultimate "Chaos," one of my favorite episodes of any television series. It was that amazing. Anyone attempting to create a standout cop drama should look to Southland as the template. Of course, there are certain things you can't air on NBC that would be permitted on a cable network like TNT, but it wouldn't hurt to parallel such an underrated show.

Anyway, what's the deal with the Chicago PD cast? There are already eleven or twelve people currently listed as series regulars, including Jason Beghe and Jon Seda, who have been implied to be the lead characters. I suppose Dick Wolf and his team plan on making it a fast-paced ensemble, but with so many characters, it's going to be difficult allocating time to each member of the cast. I don't mind procedurals so long as they're character driven. It's not as if every procedural has a Jack McCoy to make each case interesting. Alright, I think I'm done ranting for now. >_>

• JT_Kirk Oct 19, 2013

Harmon returns, and I was there. Awful writing for Pierce disappears, and I was there. Six seasons and a movie... I will be there.

• Carla-Wexler Oct 19, 2013

I'm all in, if season 5 has little to no Chang (actually...just no Chang at all) in it. That would be nice! The most pointless character that ever was.

• JT_Kirk Oct 19, 2013

Ken Jeong is a very funny guy, but they don't know what to do with him so they keep throwing awful ideas his way. I liked him in season 1, then they took him overboard and gave his character new jobs and wackier stuff and now it's really frustrating. They acknowledged at Comic-Con that Chang was taken down wrong paths simply to keep Ken Jeong doing something on the show, hopefully that insight will return from the brink of Changsmanship.

• Muderboy Oct 19, 2013

It doesn't really matter, the Death Slot will end this show once and for all, which is a shame.

• funnyl3unni Oct 19, 2013

I know! I love Community but NBC might as well get out the shovel now and dig its grave. Obviously 8PM on Thursdays didn't work for it before, and nothing's changed. - any comedy going up against TBBT will lose in the ratings. I wish NBC execs would be more strategic with its lineup.

• BriannaKirkla Oct 20, 2013

So frustrating cause TBBT is terrible show!

• JT_Kirk Oct 19, 2013

SIX SEASONS AND A MOVIE!

• Nikola-A Oct 19, 2013

I wasn't kidding when I said I wanted six seasons and a movie.
    Now don't screw it up! Be the Chang we want to see!

• WithoutPopcorn Oct 19, 2013

What's next Chicago ER? I'll give the new Chi-Town show a shot as Chicago Fire is already a guilty pleasure of mine, and I do like the city. I just hope the writers do a better job with the series than that setup episode they did for Chicago PD last year on Chicago Fire.

• JT_Kirk Oct 19, 2013

Chicago Law & Chicago Order.

• WithoutPopcorn Oct 20, 2013

Nice. :)

• MollyHolzschl Oct 19, 2013

Add Chicago SVU, Chicago Intent, Chicago: Trial by Jury, Chicago Los Angeles, and let's not forget Chicago UK.

• JT_Kirk Oct 20, 2013

I am most impressed with "Chicago: Trial by Jury", but all very funny.

• WithoutPopcorn Oct 20, 2013

Lol. Chicago UK is my favorite.

• Ralike Oct 19, 2013

All for Chicago PD I'm ready

• dodge_hickey Oct 19, 2013

Streets ahead!

• See More Comments (22)