Continuum Season 3 Finale Review: Kiera in Control

By MaryAnn Sleasman

Jun 28, 2014

Continuum S03E13: "Last Minute" 

Word has yet to come down from America's funky hat as to whether or not Continuum will be renewed for a fourth season, which makes us all a little nervous about the cliffhanger ending "Last Minute" left us with. (My bitterness over the way Dark Angel wrapped up is still a constant and yes I know it's been over 10 years and no, I don't really care.) Continuum's finale, however, left us in a much better place than the dearly departed Dark Angel, painting a more complete picture of the world(s) Kiera Cameron and the other time-travelers have accidentally (and not so accidentally) created over the last three seasons. Kiera herself has changed with the landscape, finally coming to terms with the reality of her situation and finding a kindred soul in fellow displaced time-traveler, Brad. 

It's never been hard to get behind Kiera in the past despite her role in the machine that perpetuated the troubled world she left behind in 2077. Kiera is heroic at heart and strived to do the right thing. Her perception of right and wrong has long been skewed by influence of the Corporate Congress and her time in the Protectorate, to the point that at times, she's come off as a little blind, a little naive and maybe even a little bit dumb. The third season of Continuum saw Kiera's eyes finally opened to the vastness of time, its infinite details, and all the wibbly-wobbly stuff. We saw her make some unlikely partnerships and we saw her relationship with Alec tested and strained—possibly irreparably so—and it's the loss of what they once had that marks Season 3 for the turning point that it ultimately is. The goals and motivations of the entire group have been altered. 

Kiera Cameron's primary mission for the last several seasons has been to return to her own time and reunite with her son and her husband. We all sort of figured it out awhile ago that the timeline has already been changed extensively due to Kiera and Liber8's presence in the past, that Kiera's family probably looks very different in the future, or (more likely) doesn't exist at all. Other characters have implied as much to Kiera in the world of the show. Season 3, and specifically, "Last Minute," revealed that Kiera herself has finally accepted that reality...and she's okay with it. Or rather, she's at least okay. There were no repeats of last season's nervous breakdown. There wasn't even any weeping. Maybe that'll come later or maybe Kiera just decided she's all weeped out, but she acknowledged her loss in the most honest way we've seen her be about it—still optimistic, sure—but realistic about the fact that she's probably never going to see her family again and she can either adapt to her new life or go crazy. 

Alec's ascension and sudden termination from the top of PIRON also presented a new direction for Continuum, but one that feels like it was always meant to be anyway with Kellogg finally scheming his way to complete power and casting Alec out in the cold. It seems that the bleak future built by Old Alec will never come to pass, however, its replacement doesn't appear to be much better. This presents an interesting concept for Continuum as we move forward, given what we now know about the creation of the different timelines and possibility of "orphaning" lost time-travelers. Kiera and her cohorts aren't quite as stranded as they once were, but nor are they completely free to travel through time until they find the perfect place to stop. I don't believe that there is a perfect future for Continuum's characters. They've lost too much, changed too much, and distanced themselves too much from their own respective worlds. Even if Kiera were to miraculously return to her own original, unaltered timeline and slip seamlessly back into the life she lost, she knows too much now. She would never be happy working in the system, for "Big Brother," now that she's fully aware of the truth behind her world's glossy facade. 

This presents an interesting possibility for a series resolution should Continuum be renewed: Is a happy ending even in the cards? Even a future featuring a global utopia, perfect in every possible way, would be imperfect to Kiera without her family. Could the hardened fighters in Liber8 accept a new world or would the movement evolve? Does Alec have a place in such a world? 

Continuum's third season has moved the series way past its origin story—which was never a simple one to begin with—toward something with a much broader focus. This is no longer a show just about Kiera Cameron trying to get home. It's about that and it's about the nature of time—and the nature of people—and how time can do both terrible and wonderful things to individuals who, in turn, make good and bad choices with, often enough, surprisingly good intentions. They say time heals all wounds, but the thing is, on this show, it can also deal some fatal ones. 

NOTES

– Soooo, Evil Alec's death was pretty gruesome. Loved the symbolism of the bloody time machine though. 

What did you think of Season 3 as a whole? 

– Kiera and Bradley sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I... I'll stop. 

– Now what's Alec supposed to do? 

– Any Season 4 predictions? Hopes/dreams/demands? 

• Comments (130)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • chieftan1213 Aug 07, 2014

They could very easily rig up a happy ending. I predict that if the show DOES get a renewal season, what we'll eventually see is another time jump. And I think the time jump will be Kiera back to the time when she and the Liber8 group first arrived. That would be just one way to reset the future to the one that she left.

• julienappi Aug 01, 2014

For everyone who says Syfi renews the series it does not it's Showcase Canda. The series went were it needed to go by changing her future cause a change happened in the continuum hence the name. Most shows on Syfi now are from Canda and Showcase makes that choice same as for Lost girl, Haven, helix, defiance, just to name some.

• marciecorral Jun 30, 2014

All I can say is who is this Time Traveler. I want to know more. Please come back for a fourth season.

• vcivi Jun 30, 2014

Alec killed Alec...that was nicely done..
    Loved how good and bad worked together to stop this maddness with the braceletes...and loved the rest too...yaddie yaddie yaddie...
    THe most perfect part of the finale was the last minute, when all went dark and some nasty killing machines appeared with very big guns...
    My mind started to work like a madman from that moment, imagining the whole complete next season...
    But you know what i thought about too....because of this, they have changed their entire future....meaning, that Kiera's family maybe doesn't exist anymore at all...or worst, maybe she doesn't either if the future changes rapidly????Very cooly done...can't wait for the next one...

• dh4645 Aug 01, 2014

yeah i thought it was weird that the reviewer didnt mention the ending. seems kinda important. ha

• JohnPeterson5 Jun 30, 2014

America's funky hat! I just got that now. Damn, I'm slow ...

• peterspoor33 Jun 30, 2014

Can't see another season for this show, I mean is it Brad, Kiera, Liber8, Alex and Theseus vs. the terminators from the future now?

Loved the show up to this point but with all the latest timeline changing, freelancer zombie ninjitsu and discount Kyle Reese I'm going to lament the loss of those intros set in Kiera's future where she goes all Protector (Judge Dredd) on a situation or the future criminals, even some of the more sympathetic stories like Travis and Sonya (who I thought was a cold fish) put me in tears before the show started.

I loved the gizmos, like the protector suit lighting up and moving toy soldiers
    I want to know more about the battles Kiera was in
    I want more protector academy training and Kiera dealing with her CMR
    I want more stories of inequality where corporate managers get priority over children in burning building or Theseus unplugs enslaved workers
    Gimmie Gimmmie Gggiiiimmmmeeee!!!!

• steveclaflin7 Jul 02, 2014

Sad to say, I don't see this getting renewed either. It's just too good, and SyFy don't play that way. Not when they could use the hour to show more cruddy fake-reality ghost shows, or costume/makeup shows.

• Team-Liber8 Jul 16, 2014

The Corporate Congress of NBC-MSNBC-CNBC-Universal-Comcast-Bravo-SyFy cancelled in England after season 2. Too much anti-corporate rabble-rousing stuff. So far the Corporate Congress of Shaw Media Showcase is cashing the checks from their top show and probably like more of them.

• peterspoor33 3 days ago

Haha! Gold! So Sao Tech and the corporations win the future and Alex is the supreme TV executive with his finger on the cancel button

• RicoMuscatel Jun 30, 2014

I recently went back and watched the first episode again, and Kagame gives a little smile when he see Kiera there when he is arrested, like he already knows who she is and what part she'll play. Sadler too seems to "recognize" her like these guys remember her from earlier times or somehow know more. It's quite a thing to include so early in the story. Maybe Kagame and Sadler were working together somehow. Hope we get more insight into the reasons they wanted her to go back with Liber8.

• Team-Liber8 Jul 01, 2014

When they started, I think that they intended to go down that road, but the season is written only after a number of episodes is ordered by our beloved Corporate Congress who decides these things. They changed their minds and went another way. So far there are only two old guys who are old enough to remember meeting (or being) time travelers in their past: Chairman Alec-2077 and Warlord Kellog-2039, and we have not seen any scenes where they remember meeting time travelers in their past.

Kagame-2077 is born in 2012 on the day that old-Kagame blows up the tower -- so he never met Kiera before, although he had a near miss at the Gleaners commune when they were in adjacent curtained cubicles, but she was unconscious for most of it. The crossed stares served it's purpose to highlight that these two are main characters in the pilot episode and in the season, and nothing more than that.

Sadler-2077's backstory is a bit more complicated, as it is revealed over three seasons. Greg Cameron, Kiera's husband, works on the power source for the time machine Sadler-2077 develops. Kiera herself is on the case of the murdered engineer whom is covertly leading on the secret time machine project and she brings home a hologram of the time grapefruit ball without knowing what it is -- but Greg seems to recognize it from his work. In an earlier "flashback" to the Gleaners commune with Liber8 Jaworski, Kiera is presumed deceased in her aircraft crash, and Greg is personally consoled by Sadler-2077 even as he secretly has been informed that Kiera is alive at that spot. While the firebombing air raid is under way, and Kiera is deliberately sacrificed by Sadler-2077, Sadler is giving the grieving Greg a promotion to his power project and other secret works by the murderous Sadler-2077. Kiera is a central figure to the CONTINUUM story so it is unsurprising that she turns up at most of the critical plot points, but her being chosen for carrying a message hacked into her CMR to Alec-2012 is made the day before the execution, and she is chosen out of a roster of dozens of candidates, apparently without pre-planning long in advance.

• ChauKha Jun 30, 2014

I like this show, but im just so confused about everything LOL
    I think i need to watch the whole third season at once.

• Team-Liber8 Jul 01, 2014

Watch it from season one. Netflix has seasons 1 & 2.

• Mahaela Jul 10, 2014

Netflix is getting season 3 (I think) on July 26th.

• haroven Jun 30, 2014

I think we often forget that sci-fi TV is really hard to do- well good sci-fi TV.
    Unless the producers turn it into a sort of a lame soapie like most top rating sci-fi series (which I won't name lest this divert into a debate about why blah blah isn't an unscientific piece of crap) there is not going to be a huge audience, therefore production budgets have to be kept small, and small production budgets make good Sci-Fi TV really difficult.

Continuum has somehow managed to solve this conundrum, creating a show that functions well as an entertainment, the plot doesn't rely on embarassingly bad science, and the sets aren't obviously made of cardboard (see early Dr Who when daleks hit a wall and the wall shudders & nearly collapses until the Dr manages to stop the evil daleks by putting a deep pile rug on the floor - daleks' wheels get jammed in the pile lol).

Continuum has neatly avoided the need for lotsa big and expensive sets or worse, too much budget cgi, by having compelling scripts that draw the viewer in to the human interaction that is going on.

I was one of the big whiners at around S03E04 because there were so many convuluted plots it was getting be a chore to keep up.
    I think that one of the most frustrating aspects of that period was that it seemed like Kiera was finally getting it - that she had been a good little nazi in a fascist state, and that the attraction she felt towards being a time cop was a case of the new boss being just like the old boss.

That thread made the show compelling, yet all this (to me), extraneous shit about Alex x 2 and his teenage fantasy lurve, not to mention Dillon's corruption, Carlos' naivety, Julian's angst and all the rest seemed to distract from Kiera's awakening.

Somehow it all fell into place within a coupla more episodes after that seeming chaos. I have no intention of going back and searching for the plot-holes because we're past there in a pretty good place for a really solid season 4, if it gets renewed

-just on that renewal, I would think that whether or not syfy are onboard will be a huge determinant of whether a new season gets made.
    I would be very surprised if Shaw can afford to underwrite the show 100%, a US deal with some upfront cash for production is probably essential.
    I'm judging that on what happens here, and yeah america's funky hat is richer than australia's downstream turds where there wouldn't have been a Xena, or a Spartacus without US buyers, but I still reckon that both places rely heavily on foreign sales to pay for production.

So in season 4, I would like to see Alec wresting control back from Kellogg because as others have pointed out, without Alec, Kellog is screwed anyhow, he needs a genius to make the stuff work.
    I can accept that evil Alec was both too paranoid about other stuff to see Kellog coming, and that he just wasn't as smart as not-evil Alec.
    Up until season 3 when not-evil Alec ran the show, his projects rarely failed, I can't seem him making a dog like that silly psychosis causing bracelet. What's more not-evil Alec got it done without carving huge perforations in Kiera's brain-stem.

At some stage the time machine is gonna have to break, otherwise the show is likely to get stuck in a rut of everyone trying to zap around fixing something which happened that is so bad cause they messed up fixing it the time before. A vicious circle of world destruction by time travel. Hardly riveting TV viewing.

I don't have the trouble others seem to have with Kiera goin all horizontal on Brad - maybe I will if Kiera's 'stick it up the bosses' 'tude keeps on in season 4.
    Old Kiera did nothing for me - she reminded me of one of those immaculately turned out straight arrows you meet at college - they should get yer motor running, but don't because they are so one dimensional. Images of bruising yerself on the rigid see-thru outer wrapper put paid to any lusty fantasy.
    Brad came across as a real bland-0 so Kiera & Brad seemed 'a match made in heaven' /snark.
    An aware and alert Kiera (without the awful patterned cardigan - please!) is entirely another matter. If that Kiera were to appear, then Brad would have to go and get himself deaded saving the world from Kellog's megalomania or somesuch.

Enduring the s03e04 doldrums was well worth the effort. I came out the other side more enamoured of continuum than I was at the s03 start.
    This show gets viewers to engage gray matter sure, in a rewarding and generally entertaining way.
    Sure there may be aspects of the premise which don't entirely adhere to contemporary quantum mechanics, but that is truly infinitesimal compared to the gaffes committed on a regular basis by most sci-fi TV.
    Not to be a wise ass but on that I'll end with a little fourth dimension joke:

And the barman said "I'm sorry we don't serve neutrinos here"
    Two neutrinos walked into a bar.

Stop me if you've heard it before.

• See More Comments (46)