Continuum "Second Last" Review: No More Mr. Nice Alec

By MaryAnn Sleasman

Aug 24, 2013

Continuum S02E12: "Second Last"

We'll have to wait until next week—unless you were lucky enough to have seen the original Candian broadcast or you're just plain naughty—to know for certain, but I'm going to go ahead and be an A-hole and claim "totally called it" on something bad happening to Emily and consequently inspiring Alec to go all darkside on us. Sooo... 

... called it. 

Escher looked like he was expecting it, though. Because of course he was. 

Aside from a few rough patches here and there, Continuum has regularly proven that it's more than capable of juggling several plots at once. This feat of storytelling trickery was featured prominently in "Second Last," the penultimate episode of Season 2. Escher's been an evil-ish dude all season, but after his people killed Emily, his awfulness got personal. While their brief battle for the top spot in Liber8 was fun, a reunited Sonya and Travis wreaked all kinds of havoc with a little help from Kellog; T-dog now has Elena's suit and a mostly functional CMR. Kiera's own people also turned against her when someone finally found Gardiner's body and the evidence against Kiera looked, well, pretty bad. Something tells me her desperation to snatch her precious time machine even as Escher's freelancers took Emily out might drive an unfortunate wedge between her and Alec. Girl is having a rough week. Alec isn't doing much better.

Remember when Alec did drugs and remembered that Jason totally hung out with Momma Sadler back in the day? So he took that DNA test? And then it was never mentioned again and frankly, I kind of forgot it was a thing that happened until a poorly timed phone call interrupted Romeo and Juilet's escape-from-certain-death roadtrip to turn it back into a plot point? The results are in aaaaand... Jason is totally Alec's dad. Maury would be so proud. 

Unfortunately, as of the end of this episode, having Jason for a dad doesn't really do Alec any good. Sure, Kooky Jason offered a safe haven when Travis busted in on Emily and Alec in the lab, but Jason's a generally decent dude and he seems to have a soft spot for Alec; plus Alec crashed at Chez Jason before he confronted the man anyway. I was braced for some drama before, during, and after the big truth-dump, but Jason didn't freak out or anything... he mostly just seemed confused by Alec's declaration, which is pretty much par the course for Jason. He did readily admit to having spent time in the Sadler household when Alec was a wee baby, though, and he had some nice things to say about Momma Bear, but his experiences seemed more childlike than romantic. More please! <3 Jason. 

Kiera's been declared a Liber8 terrorist based on Gardiner's evidence—which was probably planted or tampered with, IMO, because it should have been encrypted—but she had bigger things on her mind than saving her reputation after Alec told her that he could totally use the time machine to send her back to 2077. But he also delivered the same warning we've all been kicking around in the comments all season long: Chances are, the future that Kiera came from no longer exists. In her typical, single-minded-about-the-whole-time-travel-thing fashion, Kiera didn't care, and as a safeguard against winding up in a different future, she decided that if Alec could just drop her off before the botched Liber8 execution, she could fix everything. I don't think that actually makes any sense, but hey, the woman's running on pure desperation at this point. Can you blame her? 

Continuum loves its gray areas. Typically, that moral/ethical/personal ambiguity is reserved for the big Liber8 vs. the corporations debate, but "Second Last" took the time to shrink the issues down and break our allegiances into even smaller pieces. No one is completely innocent at this point. Kellog was a douche for teaming up with Travis and Sonya, but he made a good point about Escher being the real enemy. If I was in Kiera's position, I'm sure that I too would have thrown myself over the ledge to chase the wayward time machine—but that didn't make it any easier to watch her ditch her allies at a key moment to pursue what was essentially a Kiera-centric goal. Yes, certainly, it's in everybody's best interest to avoid losing the almighty device so that it doesn't end up in the wrong hands, but let's be honest: That's not what Kiera was thinking about when she was chasing it. 

So here's where we are, heading into our Season 2 finale: 

– Escher is a seriously bad dude. 

– Emily is super dead. (BYE 5-EVER.)

– Alec is really peeved about Emily's dead-ness. The show played moody badass music over his final scene and everything. Can you feel his darkness? Hmm? CAN YOU?

– Kiera is a wanted terrorist and she's the prime suspect in Gardiner's murder, but she's all IDGAF because as soon as Alec gets that time machine operational, she's gonna party like it's 2077. 

– Carlos is in trouble for helping Kiera. Whatever. Dillon is such a tool these days it makes my heart hurt. 

– Kooky Jason is Alec's dad or weird uncle or third cousin or something. They share DNA.

– Sonya and Travis are in lurve again and he's all jacked up on Elena's suit. OH GOOD. 

– Everybody hates Kellog. Even Kellog probably hates Kellog, at least a little. 

– Where the hell is Garza? 

NOTES FROM THE FUTURE

– Kiera really wasn't messing around this week. Like, at all. Somebody get Kellog a band-aid.

– Wait... were the freelancers reanimating themselves?

– See you next week for more mind-blowing WTF-ery and awesome craziness courtesy of Canada. Canada, your TV shows are swell. <3

• Comments (68)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • LOST-TWD-PP-GOT Mar 29, 2014

Wow what a great show. Where the hell have i been! I started watching a couple of weeks ago, now i'm hooked. Continuum and Orphan Black, are the 2 best sci-fi shows on tv right now.

• TatraFan Aug 26, 2013

You know what would make this show perfect now: a) if Garza and Kiera are genetically engineered offspring of Alec Saddler-- How King Lear of him. b) If Kellog puts a bullet in Escher's head ( why not no one would see that coming). c) If Alec steals DNA of Emily's dead corpse to clone her in the future (oh yeah baby attack of the clones)!!! d) Nuclear WAR!

• kanniballl Aug 26, 2013

Kiera's actions are a tough call: that sphere might as well have been a nuke. It can be used as a time-travel device or as a super computer that would pretty much give whoever owns it total control over information and the Internet. So moral question: save one life of a potential traitor or save the device.

A guy runs into a burning building and saves your child's life. You are BEYOND grateful. Does it ultimately matter much if the person saved your child either for altruistic reasons OR because he was an adrenaline junky figured he'd get a "fix" from the rush OR because he wanted to be on the 6PM news?

Kiera risked her life to stop a nuke from falling into the wrong hands. Does it matter if it was for selfish reasons or purely altruistic ones? Sure someone died but she might have died regardless.

• stevei Aug 25, 2013

This is nitpicking about what is probably a writer's mistake and not to be taken seriously, but, if your DNA matches 99.9% then you ARE that person. If they are your parent you will not have more than a 70 or 80% match but you will have certain markers. I think the freelancers are fighting over who gets to shape the future led by various versions of Alec(Old, middle aged, etc.) or his surrogates. Kiera( the Protector) is there to protect the original version of Alec. Garza will be Alec's ally next season. My 2 cent predictons for next season.

• qbe_64 Aug 26, 2013

I can tell you that the season finale is a 99.99% match for being awesome.
    Without giving anything away, Everybody ends up in very interesting places for the start of season 3.

• safibwana Aug 25, 2013

Noticed that, but forgave them immediately. The way those DNA test results are phrased is hard to parse for a lot of people. Something along the lines of "there is a 99.9% certainty that sample 1 can not be excluded as a match for sample 2", which you then have to translate to "there is almost certainly not not a parental relationship", to "yes".

• stevei Aug 26, 2013

Sounds like you've had some of the same classes I had; Computer Science and Math with advanced statistics or some such.

• NormanMirasol Aug 25, 2013

Season 3 Please.

• CharmedOneP391 Aug 25, 2013

The finale is amazing and there are a few things that were opened up but are completely flipped on their side in the finale. Have fun...I'm already anticipating season 3.

• Savvytvfan91 Aug 25, 2013

I too would like to thank Canada. Thank you Canada!!!

• SrDiegoofEmpi Aug 25, 2013

I have two ideas: 1) Jason is not Alec's Dad. He is Alec's son: I have always thought this. 99.9% DNA cuts both ways, unless you look much more closely than a typical 2010s paternity test might! 2) If the time machine can be set to refer to any point in space-time, might it not also be possible to set it for any point in the multiverse? That is, even if she is now on the road to a different timeline than her own, could the device be able to place Kiera back were she left-off, in HER timeline, by adding a coordinate to the matrix address -- a coordinate that might be derived by scanning the matter in her body for its subatomic vibratory constant? Or maybe the note that Alec sent his younger self contains that information? By the way, the idea of a multidimensional space-time matrix is worthy of the name, "Continuum." I wasn't feeling the love when we were talking about a single timeline that might be "changed." Let's see what happens!

• cba87 Aug 25, 2013

I am really enjoying this show, Rachel Nichols is doing a terrific job...

• LaurenLS Aug 25, 2013

I would really like to know when the freelancers came from. They seem to have superior technology to Kiera since they can disable parts of her suit and they can reanimate. The last one is probably a better version of what Travis has, he was shot by Sonia last season and came back but it was slower than the freelancers and they don't have the rage issues Travis has.

• See More Comments (28)