Cop Rock

Show Reviews (12)

Mediocre
5.4

And I thought I hated musicals, but this...

By Raven77, Nov 21, 2013

Cops that sing on a cop show. I think it did sound cool on paper but in real life, it was a disaster. Personally, I am glad the studio did the riht thing and cancelled it as soon as they had the chance.

Cop Rock is an Emmy Award winning American television series that aired on ABC from September 26, 1990 through December 26, 1990. The show, a police drama presented as a musical, was created by Steven Bochco, who also served as executive producer.

By CopRock0, Feb 24, 2010

The show on ABC ended after 11 episodes. The high-powered production talent became infamous as one of the biggest television risks of the 1990s. The final episode concludes with the cast breaking character and joining crew-members in performing a closing song.

Despite its short run, the series still has been rebroadcast three times, in the 1990s on VH1, on A&E Network, and later on Trio.

Starring:

Teri Austin, Anne Bobby, Barbara Bosson, Ronny Cox, Vondie Curtis-Hall, David Gianopoulos, Larry Joshua, Dennis Lipscomb, Paul McCrane, James McDaniel, Ron McLarty, Mick Murray, Peter Onorati, William Thomas, Jr., Kathleen Wilhoite

Join the fan page at: http://CopRock.INFOmoreless

A very guilty pleasure.

By kjrjr7811, Feb 26, 2008

For me, Cop Rock is the guiltiest of pleasures; the enjoyment of which is to be admitted only with the most trusted of friends. To say you liked this show is one of those admissions that can and will come back to haunt you like saying that you voted for Dukakis or had a mullet haircut (guilty on both counts). So here I go, I loved Cop Rock. I felt the songs were catchy and clever and as in musical theater, better at expressing the characters emotions than spoken words could ever be. The fact that the show was played straight outside of the musical numbers added to my enjoyment. Had it been played tongue in cheek I don't think it would have been compelling.

That said, its tongue might have not been in its own cheek but mine was. I knew it was hokey and absurd but loved it anyway. Watching Cop Rock and enjoying it felt like being in on the joke. It wallowed in its own sincere crapulence and I just had to watch.moreless

?

By CopRocker, Nov 10, 2007

does anyone know how i can get a copy of one of the episodes? or if anyone has one is there anyway i could pay you for a copy? email me at seeknaught@aol.com

ummm, the thing is telling me my review has to be no less than one hundred words long so i am trying to fill up some space at this point

o... k... i just tried again and umm apparently it still was not over one hundred words so maybe now

nope not yet, wow i feel like i am in college i will try again

still not a hundred, maybe i should actually count them, ok no i'm too lazy for that i'll just keep tryingmoreless

This is one of the top 10 worst series in history. Its awfulness is legendary. The honor for worst still goes to Homeboys In Outer Space.

By SoylentYellow, Jul 19, 2007

The only reason I thought of it after all these years is a new CBS show call Viva Laughlin reminded me of it.

Basically its an awful creation where cops would randomly burst into song at the drop of a hat. I only saw 1 episode of this back then - that I can remember - and that was plentyyyyyyyy. The episode titles are cliched bad puns. "No Noose is Good Noose"? Ugh.... Its as bad as "Joanie Loves Chachi" with an episode titled "No Nudes is Good Nudes". The cheese factor of this show was off the scale.

Whats even more amazing is the fact it stayed on the air for 11 episodes.moreless

bad idea

By CAPNDEL, Jun 28, 2006

why would anyone expect this show to last. it was impossibe to watch without hitting yourself in the head with a claw hammer. i wonder if any of the actors even bother to put the show on their resume. whoever pitched this show to network execs should be shot in the head.

Not too bad of a cop show, give it a shot.

By vicmackey31, Apr 19, 2006

A pretty good cop show. If this is a show that you do not normally watch and you are sitting at home with nothing to do, you are going to wish you had it on tape. Having it \"on tape\" had become the generic term for recorded programs. Today you are more likely to have the show on Tivo or DVR than VHS, or god forbid Beta!! It is kind of like how a lot of people still call CD\'s \"records\" or \"albums.\" Anyway, back to the show. This is the type of show that is really pretty good if you would just give it a chance. So on those cold, lonely, rainy days, pop in your tape or DVR or whatever if you were smart enough to tape it. If not, check to see if it is on as a re-run. After all, as they say, if you have never seen it, it is new to you. Not too bad of a cop show, give it a shot.moreless

So bad, you had to see it to believe it.

By tklow, Mar 01, 2006

Cops. And rock. Ok, not rock -- more like cheese showtunes. It starts out like a cop show, but without warning, characters constantly break into song in some unintentionally hilarious, cheesy moments.

The songs were the really bad part - they seemed so sappy, smarmy, and cliche-riddled.

I hate the song styles of most musicals, and this show epitomized that style. Later shows like Ally McBeal managed to thinly veil the musical style within a comedy-drama narrative without allowing the music to become cloying or heavy handed. If only Cop Rock had managed to do that.

Limburger!

moreless

Wow. Thats all I got to say.

By chet1210, Feb 03, 2006

Who would have guessed a Bocho television show be cancelled just like that (Blind Justice for example), Bocho is one of the most brilliant creators of police shows. He is the Spielberg to movies. NYPD Blue, LA Law, Hill Street Blues. All classic cop shows, and all have been the best created and directed.

A show that was so bad it was almost good.

By Cherryice1114, Aug 18, 2005

This show was so horrible, what was Stephen Bocho thinking. I watched it in re-runs on trios brilliant but cancelled,(this was in the just plain cancelled category) Despite how terrible it was, I could not stop laughing. It's supposed to be a drama but it was just so frickin hillarious. Within 5 minutes i could see why it was cancelled.

Bottom line: This show is not like nypd blue at all, so if your looking for something like that this show is not for you, but if you want a cheap laugh this show can be good for it. 4.7moreless

Load More Reviews