Meet John Malkovich's Version of Blackbeard in the First Trailer for NBC's Crossbones (VIDEO)

By Tim Surette

Apr 22, 2014

NBC has finally released the first trailer for its upcoming pirate drama Crossbones, starring John Malkovich as the legendary pirate Blackbeard. And it looks like Malky had full rein over the character, as there isn't a trace of black in his beard, nor has he made any real effort to dress up like a pirate. It's as if Malkovich showed up for work and said, "Hi, I'm wearing these bedsheets, and that's the end of this discussion." 

As for the series itself, it doesn't look that much different from Starz's recent pirate drama Black Sails, with a cerulean-oceans-and-palm-trees setting in the gorgeous Caribbean. The story will follow Blackbeard's attempt to obtain the Longitude Chronometer (whatever that is) and English spy Tom Lowe's plan to thwart the legendary pirate. Take a look!

Crossbones premieres Friday, May 30 at 10pm on NBC.

• Comments (28)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • DesertWolf Apr 27, 2014

i am watching for sure

• KayWatkins Apr 25, 2014

LOVE John Malkevich in general but it's going to be hard to watch without comparing it to Black Sails and from the trailer alone - Black Sails seems better. Similar things going on too i.e. the person among thier midst pretending to be something they aren't like the fake cook on Black Sails and they both may have memorized the one item the crazy pirate needs. It'll be much more toned down for the sake of network television but considering all NBC gets away with from Hannibal alone - I think they'll allow some gruesome images. I'll check out the pilot - in support of John Malkevich alone and take it from there...

• MarlboroMagpi Apr 23, 2014

If it was as good as Black Sails then I am on board but considering this is NBC, it will all but PG 13. PG 13 pirate show. Hmm....

• woz22 Apr 23, 2014

A bit similar to Black Sails although a lot better Blackbeard is supposed to have a blackbeard like the film ? I give it a go as the cast look great hopefully it won't be like Treasure Island or Moonfleet which were shite!

• mcepin3 Apr 23, 2014

Black Sails didn't really get my intention,despite all advertising,etc. Is that show any good? From trailer looks lame to me,but this one I might give it a chance.

• KayWatkins Apr 25, 2014

YES! Black Sails is good! I thought the pilot was trying a little too hard but it just kept getting better and better. It's another show that has such flawed characters that you don't know who to root for but very well played by all.

• ludoTV Apr 23, 2014

Quite the long promo to not add anything to the one-liner premise. Feels totally boring to me and since it will air on Fridays at 10pm in 'summer TV time' NBC clearly doesn't expect much from it other than fill air time.

• DesolaKazeem Apr 23, 2014

Not sure what exactly that was.
    He looks like he's on a vacation cruise with that outfit.

• silverscreenluv Apr 23, 2014

Ugh, John Malkovich. Not a fan. Unfortunately I'll probably watch this anyway, but damn you whoever cast this! I'm watching under protest.

• antdude Apr 23, 2014

Wait, Friday nights?

• antdude Apr 23, 2014

But this one won't have cussing, nudity, etc. ;P

• See More Comments (11)