News Briefs: Captain Brass Is Leaving CSI After 14 Seasons

By Tim Surette

Mar 25, 2014

FAREWELL, CAPTAIN NEWS

... Paul Guilfoyle, who's played CSI's Captain Jim Brass since the show debuted in October of 2000, is leaving the venerable procedural. Guilfoyle will be written off the series at the end of the current season; apparently it was the producers' idea for him to say goodbye. Guilfoyle is one of only two series regulars who've been with CSI since the beginning; George Eads is the other. [THR]

BUSINESS TIME

... Well that was fast and not at all surprising. Just one week after ABC Family announced that a pilot order for a drama called Alice of Arabia, the network has yelled "PSYCH!" and backed out of the idea, in response to concerns voiced by the Council for American-Islamic Relations that the show would deal in Muslim stereotypes. According to the show's logline, Alice of Arabia centered on an American teenager who was "unknowingly kidnapped" by her extended Saudi Arabian family and whisked away to the Middle East; Buzzfeed dug a little deeper and got its hands on the pilot script, which contained  some not-so-flattering references to Muslims and the religion of Islam. A rep for ABC Family said: "The current conversation surrounding our pilot was not what we had envisioned and is certainly not conducive to the creative process, so we’ve decided not to move forward with this project." I mean, come on, the show was doomed because of the title alone. In related news, ABC Family remains quiet about my protests of Melissa & Joey. [Variety]

... Eh, some news here, eh! Rookie Blue's fifth season has been upped to 22 episodes from its normal 13! Yay, eh! But this news isn't all maple syrup and a polite demeanor; ABC, which imports the series from an igloo in Saskatchewan, had only planned to the first 11 episodes of the season, which is scheduled to premiere on July 17. (What it was going to do with the other two, I have no idea.) The new episode count means that we have know idea when the extra episodes will air in the U.S. [TV Line]

... Have you been watching Fox's remake of Carl Sagan's epic Cosmos? Well Creationists have, and they want some airtime on the decidedly scientific series. Haha, come on guys. Are you serious? Neil deGrasse Tyson didn't come knocking on the door when History aired The Bible, you all can chill, too. Or go ahead and make your own show, I don't give a darn. [Raw Story]

... I don't know if you've heard, but something crazy happened on The Good Wife last night (Noel is still upset; someone please send him some ice cream). And in order to defend and/or explain the decision, The Good Wife creators Robert and Michelle King wrote a letter to fans telling them it's going to be okay, and can read the very spoilery message right here. I'm going to on record and say that I think it's silly that the producers of a television show feel like they have to write letters to fans defending why they do things, but the Kings do have a history of explaining themselves. [Me]

CASTING NEWS

... Betsy Brandt? More like BUSY Brandt. The Breaking Bad actress has landed another new role now that she's been freed from the technically-not-canceled-but-yep-it's-canceled The Michael J. Fox Show. She'll star in the ABC series The Club, a drama that's set at an upscale country club, as the spurned wife of one of the club's owners. Brandt was recently cast in a recurring role on Showtime's Masters of Sex. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Alfred Molina (Raiders of the Lost Ark, Doctor Octopus in Spider-Man 2) is joining El Rey's Matador, a drama about a professional soccer player who's actually an undercover CIA operative. He runs assassination missions without using his hands! Molina will play the evil owner of the team who, along with some other shady rich guys, uses his influence to control the world. This show—which will debut this summer, following the World Cup—sounds ridiculous. I'm in. [THR]

BONUS PICTURE ROUND

... Want to see what the new Alfred looks like in Fox's Batman-less Batman series Gotham? Well you probably already did unless you are a weirdo and you read this story from bottom to top. 

ODDBALL-BUT-NECESSARY NEWS

... A schoolteacher in Belgium is controlling his unruly students with a unique disciplinary tactic: He's threatening to reveal Game of Thrones spoilers unless they shut up and learn. Parents in Belgium sound pretty cool if they let their children watch a show with so much nudity, but then again this is one of the country's most famous tourist attractions so I guess those kiddos have seen it all. [Time]

... Philadelphia brewery Dock Street Brewing is releasing a new type of beer with The Walking Dead in mind. The suds, called Dock Street Walker, will go beyond the standard ingredients of malt, barley, and hops with the addition of—ahem—smoked goat brains. The beer debuts March 30. Has anyone told these guys that the zombies in The Walking Dead aren't the "Brraaaaaaains" kind of zombies? [Gizmodo]

SAD NEWS

... Actor James Rebhorn, who played Carrie Mathison's father on Homeland, has passed away at the age of 65. The character actor's many TV credits also included Law & Order, Enlightened, The Practice, Seinfeld, and Boston Legal. Rebhorn had been battling melanoma. But he did not go quietly. The man wrote his own obituary. [Variety]

• Comments (89)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • polara Mar 31, 2014

Captain Brass leaving? Nooooooooooooooooo!

• polara May 25, 2014

oh well, just read that he is going to be in a swedish tv-series instead.

• mori1bund Mar 27, 2014

See, for us Europeans that sounds typical American:
    Game of Thrones is a show were people are constantly slaughtered, castrated, maimed, etc in the cruelest ways possible - and you are concerned for kids watching this because of a little skin... ROFL!!!

• current Mar 26, 2014

Paul Guilfoyle will no doubt either pop up on the other waste of time spin off show or some other cop type thing. He's been written out by CSI's ever increasing 'appropriate' duties for their regulars. His character was rather limited though.
    Networks being afraid of what Mussie religious groups will think of their shows? Do they not think Muslims don't get a kick out of watching how other religious lots get treated but can apparently do sod all about it? In any case, I'm sure plenty of Muslim women would've tuned in and gone, "Yeah sister, we feel you" - but not in a sexual 6-10% of the population way.
    Good news a'boot Rookie Blue.
    It was reported that Fox 'accidently' deleted 'the other sides' view before. Biblical payback's a bitch.
    Alfred Molina news in always good, well, when he's going to be on. Nice footie joke there Tim. Nice and fresh. As most British people will testify, footballers are known for their high intellects and a CIA agent wouldn't stand out in the field at any time, ever. I assume that he's a piss poor player only conducting these missions in the off season, otherwise the pap's would catch him out either making an intelligent statement, choice or killing.
    Good to see Sean Pertwee getting airtime. Full stop. Or, period. Or whatever.
    I think the bigger question is how is the teacher getting these spoilers first and can I enrol as a held back student if he has such unHoly knowledge?
    Philadelphia brewery Dock Street Brewing is clearly unaware that most every beer out there has a zombie quality to it post 6-8 pints.
    Shame about the actor James Rebhorn. It's startling to see his press photos for Homeland and then the picture on here. Reminds me of my departed grandparents. RIP to all.

• Kerkesh Mar 31, 2014

Muslims watch Homeland , airing on several Arab satellite channels (mainly OSN and MBC) and all the other Western TV shows and couldn't care less about the religious aspects other than the concern normal human beings feel . But they will spend literally days discussing the political aspects of each and every scene, even the most trivial. As for the way Muslim women are treated any Arab TV show will give you a change of mind as all have strong, free and sometimes more bitchy than their Western sisters characters . This is fact in real life and not the 1900s white slavery fantasies of some people in the West. Anyhoo, it's good they cancelled that bad idea.
    Alfred Molina really deserves something smarter than whatever the show he will be in. I will add to your comment that British and other soccer players have actually little time out of practice and planning their future lives beyond their very narrow career to be anything close to a CIA operative or ruling the World. Also, all their brain power lies at their feet.
    I wonder about that Belgian teacher too, maybe he is the CIA operative ruling the World?
    The only good beer is Murphy s.
    I'm with you on the departed Rebhorn, always played the pricks in movies and Tv shows, the kind that are CIA operatives and /or rule the World,; so he must have been a great guy in real life.RIP to all, cheers .

• current Mar 31, 2014

Yeah , I have to agree that the Muslim women I met at Uni didn't seem that repressed or able to hold their tongues over, well, anything. There's a good ep' from the original Oz version of Rake (s2e1, IIRC) with a sneaky Muslim woman, which is good. Hah, just caught myself thinking how I had to ponder to think of one on TV!
    Murphy's is an ok stout for the later years in life.

• Kerkesh Mar 31, 2014

I don't know if a woman's tongue being held or not is Muslim-specific, or being sneaky., lol.
    Murphy's is the best and I have no idea what to make of your comment on it. It can't be an insult because I know you are not that stupid and it can't be a compliment because it just does not make sense.

• Kameleon Mar 25, 2014

I'm from Belgium. What can I say? We're an awesome bunch &3 ;-)

• Rolamb Mar 26, 2014

I am proud of our neigbouring country.

• Kerkesh Mar 31, 2014

I second that, except I am little farther away.

• dodge_hickey Mar 25, 2014

Wow, Brass is still on CSI? Paul Guilfoyle is awesome!

It was a shame to hear about James Rebhorn, last time I saw him he was on White Collar. RIP.

• geoffmaze Mar 25, 2014

Ah, CSI.. In all honesty this show is still OK, bit hokey sometimes but hey it's been a fun run. No one touches Grissom for the lead role, but Danson has been pretty good. Wasn't a huge Fishburne fan (although really like his role in Hannibal) but I think part of that is he took over for Grissom. Tough act to follow. Ironic that with Brass leaving, George "Nick" Eads is the only guy still on from the beginning considering a number of years ago both he and Jorja Fox were threatening to leave if they didn't get a raise...They didn't but he's stayed the whole while...Not a bad gig eh George?
    In any case, CSI has been a trailblazing show but its time has come (and probably passed) to wrap it up.

• geoffmaze Mar 25, 2014

RIP James Rebhorn. Great character actor! I'll show you Out of Order Mr. Trask! Great role.

• LadyJay03 Mar 25, 2014

So long Captain Brass - I haven't watched CSI regularly in a long time but he was a great character. I hope they just let him retire as opposed to killing him off. I look forward to seeing Paul Guilfoyle in other movies and TV.
    Watched James Rebhorn on many TV shows and movies, he was a great actor and his obituary is beautifully written - RIP.

• EsmeBuffay Mar 25, 2014

Why don't they just cancel CSI already? Fourteen years is too long for any tv show, when one of your two last original cast members is leaving you need to start thinking about pulling the plug. Especially considering it's not like Game of Thrones or anything where people are dying off left and right and it's to be expected, it's a procedural cop drama, generally a secure gig for the main cast members. Everyone's jumped ship already, time to let the ship sink.

• ben45tpy Mar 25, 2014

Rebhorn's passing is very sad news. He had this gift of bringing roles to life with enthusiasm and humanity. He looked very old in that picture, I wonder how recent it was. I wonder how they'll manage on Homeland.

• See More Comments (21)