Fox Orders a Full Season of... Dads

By Tim Surette

Oct 25, 2013

I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you'll never walk again because an alligator ate your spine. The bad news is Fox has ordered a full season of the critically ravaged sitcom Dads. That's right, the show that entered the fall season as the most-hated program of the year is being rewarded with a back-nine order, meaning Dads will run for 22 episodes this season. 

The series stars Giovanni Ribisi and Seth Green as a pair of video-game producers whose lives are disrupted when their respective dads move back in with them. So far the show's storylines and jokes have involved Asian men having small penises, old people getting stoned on pot brownies, and frequent discussion of bowel movements. Seth MacFarlane is an executive producer on the series, which may explain why it got picked up for a full season. 

Fox touts the series as being one of the top 10 new comedies among men 18-34, men 18-49, and women 18-34. I guess now is a good time to point out that there were only 13 new comedies this season, and two of them have already been canceled, and one of them is Sean Saves the World. So congrats on cracking the top 10, Dads. Fox also pointed out that it's been trying to crack the multi-camera comedy genre for some time now. What, I Hate My Teenage Daughter wasn't good enough? 

When the fall season first began, I made the bold prediction that Dads would run out its initial 13-episode order, but even I was too chicken to say it would get a full season. How's your Dead Pool doing?

• Comments (167)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • ToniMkel Oct 28, 2013

why?

• vincentw56 Oct 28, 2013

One of the funniest shows on the air right now. My wife and I both love it.

• glenguti Oct 28, 2013

Well, I was hoping for 4 out of 5. I can still get that if, IF, Super Fun Night get cancelled next. I had Dads instead of We Are Men and that was totally made on the schedule not on anything else.

• AngelColn Oct 28, 2013

This is NOT, my favorite show. But my opinion aside, and besides the Green/McFarlane trademark of offensive lines/themes, the show got some good moments, but the have to stop being so... (sit-com) cliche, is that a right word for the show? IMO they're pushing too hard in all the wrong directions. And is a shame, because the plot is good and they assembled a really good cast. For example, liking this show or not, the "Oldfinger" episode was a classic thanks to Giovanni Ribisi. This guy is awesome. I cried. If you see it, you will too.

• Hoss1121 Oct 28, 2013

I KNEW that Seth MacFarlane would throw his weight around to keep this Mac-Crappy show on the air. The excuse: "It will find an audience." The truth: There is no audience! Even "Family Guy" sucks now for relying on the same stupid white guys/racist/sexist jokes. MacFarlane is a one-trick pony that is trying to do what Madonna did so well with a very limited voice!

• firedrakes Oct 28, 2013

wow this made a full season..... dam

• implicated Oct 28, 2013

Sigh....

• CaitlinRice Oct 28, 2013

Yeah, I'm screwed.

• NillaSweden83 Oct 27, 2013

Two new comedies cancelled? I know one is welcome to the family - which is the other?

• pessimism101 Oct 28, 2013

The other would be We Are Men

• NillaSweden83 Oct 28, 2013

Oh.. no loss

• morty1988 Oct 27, 2013

Is there anything cancelled this year that was anticipated. All the shows I thought off being prime suspects are going on for more. Maybe because the networks committed genocide on all comedies in recent year some shows get a longer lease on life.

• See More Comments (99)