Nebraska

Episode Reviews (11)

Good
7.9

What things would have been like if Dexter didn't kill his brother

By DexterMorgan2, Mar 06, 2013

This was a different episode because Dexter starts to see his brother and it triggers the even darker side of him because his brother is telling him to kill when Dexter wouldn't always kill This episode showed what it would be like if Dexter hadn't killed his brother I have to admit they probably would never get caught but Dexter had to kill him and now is seeing him This episode was also interesting because the Trinity killer storyline continues because Arthur's wife and daughter was murdered and everyone thinks its the Trinity killer but Dexter knows better Jonah is still alive and saying that he saw his father kill them Dexter thinks its him and chooses not to kill him even though his brother is pushing him to kill him It was good to see that Harry comes back to replace Dexter's brother in the end because Dexter didn't kill Jonah it triggered his lighter side.moreless

Dexter and his brother go on a road trip.

By JaCkKbAuEr2424, Nov 28, 2011

I think it's safe to say, heading past the halfway point of the season, that this is the weakest season yet. I don't even have to wait to see how the season will finish, it's obvious that the writing is aimless and even if the acting is somewhat solid (especially with Mos Def and Michael C. Hall, of course), it doesn't excuse the ridiculously misguided plotting.

That being said, this episode was a nice change of pace from the lame Doomsday Killer stuff. We get to see Dexter's Dark Passenger replaced with his brother Brian, who grabs a hold of his damaged psyche and makes him kill without following the code. If Harry acts as the person trying to keep Dexter on track, Brian is the one trying to make him go off the tracks. This all begins after Dexter learns that Trinity has struck again in Nebraska, this time killing his wife and daughter. Of course, Dexter knows this isn't possible since he killed Trinity two seasons ago. Which means it must've been Jonah. Dexter decides to take a five day road trip to Nebraska.

The road trip acts as a means for Dexter to let his id run loose. He hooks up with a woman on the road, steals a gun, kills a weed farmer and nearly kills Jonah. It's a tumultuous road trip, and the whole time, he has Brian right behind him, making him do these things.

This sets up some issues between Deb and Dexter. Deb needs Dexter to be there for her and help with the Doomsday Killer case. Tension between Deb and Dexter can only mean great developments in terms of the long-term story being told in the show (which means Dexter being caught). However, it doesn't help that the show focuses on pointless crap.

This includes, sadly, the stuff about Travis Marshall and Geller. When I heard Colin Hanks and Edward James Olmos were guest-starring this season, I grew excited at how the show would use them. Instead, their characters ended up doing nothing exciting and Mos Def jumped ahead as the stand-out. Right now, Marshall is hanging out with his sister while Geller (who is probably not real, yet the show insists on making us believe he is) tries to get him back to work. It'd help if we could figure out what the heck their plan is, but right now, it makes no sense.

I'll never bail from the show, but right now, it's really hard to justify this show staying on. It should've ended after five and they should've given the show a different ending so it could've gone out on a higher note.moreless

By thefanof, Nov 27, 2011

"Nebraska" was a little bit goofy at times, with "The Ice Truck Killer" doing his best James Franco impression throughout and an odd and random storyline as well, but it was not half bad. Having a one-off killing was a welcome change of pace from the majority of this season so far and it will hold as one of the season's better installments, despite the lack of continuity and its lack of major developments storyline wise.

Pivotal subtle revelation, refreshing but too short roadtrip, percussive guests, twisted but slapdash writing, interesting alternate realities (Spoilers)

By jmw, Nov 26, 2011

I cut my thumb and blood drops spoiled my immaculate ivory keyboard when I smashed the spacebar to kill the thirsty vampire bats that were standing on it like mocking birds on an electric cable. Yes this is a Dexter review, not some funny animated film one. Dark Passengers are everywhere. They're all around us waiting for a weakness, a sign that they can take over our body and soul. Some people had quickly figured out who was Professor Gellar but I'm not one of them. I wish I hadn't read a review that revealed it to me because it made this episode less exciting. Still the two brothers roadtrip was entertaining and definitely enlightening. I can only suppose it had references to season 4's 9th episode, Road Kill, because I haven't seen it. But it was impossible to miss the one to Hello, Dexter Morgan's cult encounter. Brand Eaton's comeback as Jonah Mitchell deserved more than one episode in my opinion but the actor's performance was energetic and until the very end I had no idea Becca had committed suicide. So the writing was unpredictable but sadly it obviously screamed "Dex, you're in big trouble" ! I mean he made so many mistakes that it's not even interesting to count them. I don't expect it to be as accurate as the best cop shows but its lack of attention to details has become annoying. The good thing about this subplot is that it should arise suspicions around him, specially in Deb's neighbourhood. Fucktopia ? I have met an ant that knows where it is ! Let's hope Masuka's new sidekick will design a level inspired by it. For the moment I don't get his role. Is he destined to replace him ? He's so useful to their department that I can't see how they wouldn't want to hire him ! As for Batista it was funny to see him as a video game character. It's interesting because like in Caprica it's possible to imagine that Dexter could be a virtual reality program. The ghosts who haunt its characters are nearly as real as them. The way they're filmed blurs the lines even more but in the end it's their contribution that matters. That's probably why they had waited so long to finally mention Rita and specially Lumen, to confirm that Dex has what it takes to slice and drown his Dark Passenger. The candles of their love still burn within him and if the Ice Truck Killer wasn't able to blow his bubble of light, no one will.

Note : This review was first posted on Kritikenstein, my weblog.moreless

Great episode. I'm really enjoying all this season. A bit disappointed 'though, when Bro Sam died last week.

If you haven't watched the episode, don't read this review 'cause spoilers are following.

By Mangela, Nov 21, 2011

Since the beg of Dexter, I've always thought that our serial killer needed a sort of "light" counterbalance (either by his ghost father or by the once living Rita, who is now dead and, for the moment, excluded from the show and more recently, Brother Sam).

Naturally, I was utterly concerned when I saw his ghost bro occupying his mind. Thankfully, he managed to get rid of it. I was relieved to see his father taking a ride back home at the end of the episode.

In my POV, mr. Morgan was very careless (in many occasions) during this episode: when he left all his tools in the car (which was about to be manipulated by the inn Keeper (btw, this guy was a real pain in the neck); also by dumping his body in the grain container (sooner or later the body will come out, but this will not be a real problem to Dex if the writers are cool enough to let it go); plus, the unstable Jonah knows his secret. This can be a real problem later. Dex was so certain that Jonah deserved to die that he flatly revealed "I killed your father". However, in the end, he concluded Jonah was another "victim" just like himself.

So, I will not be surprised if in the future, Dex be once more "obliged to kill against his will"; he offered Trinity's son a chance that may not be seized by him.In brief, I think we will hear about Jonah later (especially now that 2 more Dexter seasons are confirmed).

Now, in brief about other characters:

- LaGuerta is really getting on my nerves.

- I wonder what is reserved to Masuka's intern in the future. Guess that his game may become a huge problem to Miami PD. He's getting closer to Baptista's sister, who works for Dex. Humm?? I don't know, but I think this plot can be useful to writers later.

- Quinn may restart writing his story. I'm happy for him and hope he will succeed.

- Travis and doomsday plot can now boost up until the end of this season. I'm not sure that Travis will be as strong as Dex and thus suceed to get rid of his dark passenger of his own. Soon enough we will definitively learn if "professor" is real or not.

So, I'm simply eager to see the continuation.

moreless

Dex Does Road Trip

By Neksmater, Nov 21, 2011

Dexter disposes of Nick's body after his failure to forgive him like Brother Sam wanted. But he now sees Brian and when he learns that Trinity might be back and that Jonah Mitchell is the only survivor of the attack where they lived in Nebraska he sets out on a road trip with Brother Brian to get to the bottom of it. He gets Jaime to watch Harrison while he's away and Deb struggles to get a hold of him when they need blood analyzed with new leads on DDK. Travis says that he is done with Gellar but Gellar tells him that he will continue their work despite him. Miami Metro begins to narrow down the suspect pool of accomplices when the woman Travis let go identifies that there was a younger one and a Professor. First the pool is as big as 2400 but Masuka's new intern narrows it even further down to 200 by episode's end. Deb learns that clearance rate is a big thing and that without solving DDK her department stands to lose a lot of cred. Dexter gets to Nebraska after having banged some girl in a surreal and stealing a gun rather uncharacteristically and shooting it while driving his rental car. He checks into a motel run by a weed grower who promises to fix a tire that blew out but ends up taking his knives and forensic kit. This episode also gave us a lot of background that we hadn't gotten from Seasons 4-5 in regards to the Mitchells and seeing Jonah tell Dexter to go home seemed like the end of it. I especially liked that they kept Kyle Butler out of it and that they thought Dexter was trying to help them. Dexter's cover story for that was very believable in having expected Arthur to be the Trinity Killer. But Dexter sweeps the crime scene and since Jonah's story was obviously false he accuses him of the murders to which Jonah flees. Dex told him that he killed Trinity and that's how he was sure that he hadn't done it which was really surprising as I just expected Dexter to grab him and KO him right then and there. Dexter gets his knives back after killing the weed growing innkeep with a pitchfork and Brian and him share an American Gothic tableaux. Quinn and Deb have a nice chat about them being over so that they can now work together in less awkward circumstances. Dexter confronts Jonah, who called him on his cell and I wonder how he got Dexter's number? unless he kept it from seasons previous, I guess. Dexter decides to let him live and we learn a bit of information that Dexter doesn't enjoy learning about innocence he loves the ritual and he needs it to not get caught and keep killing. While Brian's presence was cool and absolutely necessary for this episode beyond Dexter thinking to himself about light and darkness like he has been all along it was nice to have some struggle with another entity there besides Harry for a change. He confronting Jonah and then letting him go, especially since he didn't kill his sister and how torn his family was and how he was so frustrated at everything in his life led him to kill his mom made that moment of forgiveness the moment he didn't give Nick. The one he promised to "Just Let Go" of and let Jonah go on because he has conscience and regret for what he did. This makes me believe Dexter is available to change, at least a little, since the darkest part of him was what wanted Brian to be a part of him more fully. But Dexter's light balances his darkness in such a way that he is an avenging angel of justice, not of wrath which this series has always clung to and now has given Dexter a firm grasp upon. It was a good midseason episode, but now it's back to Doomsday and next week may answer the burning question of whether or not Gellar's real or not. New clues in that the woman let go described her captors as two different people in the way they handled her, and that we saw Gellar actually gutting a croc gives us a little bit of a nudge if not a miniscule one. Decent episode, not the best, but certainly one that was necessary, even though leaving someone alive that knows that he killed Trinity in as unstable a state as Jonah was in probably not the best move and leaves a loose end for sure, but I'll let it slide and hoping that Jonah evens himself out.moreless

The Harrison Effect (suite).

By Swinglabacase, Nov 21, 2011

Another intense and great episode into Dexter's inner journey. Last week I wrote: "While he may now seek refuge in his brother to avoid the suffering, I believe it is temporary. Dexter has to exorcise his brother through Harrison before he can move into a lighter shade of life. The Jonah story, next week, is a perfect setup for that." and that is exactly what happened.Dexter has shown sadness, again, when Jonah talked about his sister. We saw him shook out of Brian's influence when Jonah said: "I am my father's son". I think we've never seen Dexter so tortured: "What if this were my son?" The thought of Harrison, more than his link to Brother Sam, was the main motivation in Dexter's following actions. Nonetheless, we could feel the influence of Sam when Dexter told Jonah to forgive himself.Dexter didn't run over Brian Moser with his car... he ran over the old Dexter. He had to hit rock botttom, return to his darkest self, in order to exorcise it. Now he his ready to meet his greatest and final test: his confrontation with Travis/Gellar...Man, that is going to be epic.moreless

Nebraska

By TrueTvWatcher, Nov 15, 2011

Nebraska was a superb episode of Dexter and I really enjoyed watching this episode because the story was awesome and well written. Dexter learns that Trinity has killed again, but he knows better, and discovers that Jonas may have something to hide. All the while he was dealing with Brian in his head who was pushing Dexter to be reckless and wild. There was great character and plot development as Miami Metro gets closer to Gellar and Travis, Dexter deals with the past, and Travis tries to move on from Gellar. Very entertaining episode and I look forward to watching what happens next!!!!!!!moreless

A really good episode.

By Rachwhut, Nov 15, 2011

I felt a little let down by the ending. I would have liked to have seen more of Dexter's "dark passenger". And by dark passenger, I mean Brian.

Lately, Dexter has become somewhat of a good guy. He has too much conscience. I want him to be a monster again.

Other than that, the episode was really good. It was exciting and full of metaphors.I enjoyed seeing what his life could have been like, had Brian lived.

An overall brilliant episode, and my favourite of the season so far.moreless

An extremely promising episode ends with disappointment.

By adzam22, Nov 14, 2011

Not writing a full review but good Lord. Could that have been any more disappointing? So many possibilities to take the Jonah story line to and they couldn't even do that. Major letdown in a VERY promising episode. I get the whole "images of what Dexter is like without Harry" story. And I get what they were trying to do with Jonah but man, what could have been. So much promise and so little reward. The writers have really fallen off.moreless

Load More Reviews