The Big One

Episode Reviews (19)

Great

I have never before felt compelled to write a review for a show, despite frequenting tv.com for a few years, in fact even during its days as tvtome.com. But this episode of Dexter defines everything that I love about quality television.

By kroggieplatter, Nov 06, 2011

I am not sure why there is such a ground swell of negative sentiment to both this finale and the series as a whole. In my humble opinion, this has been the best series of Dexter to date and epitomises the benefits of character development.

Dexter's progression from cold-hearted serial killer to angst driven vigilante has mirrored Julia Stiles character's descent into darkness. Their transformations crossing paths over the last two episodes sated that quintessential human requirement of acceptance that Dexter so craves, acceptance that someone knows what he is but they have not turned away from him. The fact that the excellent Julia Stiles lost her "dark passenger" once revenge had been accomplished and in fact started her ascent back to light has once again ripped this possibility of a normal existence away from Dexter. His feeling of sadness was palpable in the final kitchen scene with Stiles and this magnified the power of his final monologue and ending scene. Has Dexter finally accepted that he will always be alone.

I think some viewers missed the point of Lumen indicating her wish to return to normality and to abandon Dexter. Some suggested she even used Dexter. While this is true in a basic sense, she ultimately provided a catalyst for Dexter to reconnect with humanity. Her circumstances were not normal and it made sense she formed an allegiance with a similarly broken person. The natural response after fulfilling her vengeance was to reject the darkness or indeed look away from the abyss (to paraphrase Nietsche), to Dexter's detriment. What is painfully clear is that with Lumen no longer there, what/who will provide Dexter with the necessary mechanism/plot device to accept his humanity (which he clearly does not believe is there), if that of course is the ultimate aim of the show. If that is not the aim, I fully expect a dark and brooding Dexter to reappear in the coming seasons which would ultimately define this as a tragedy as he would have come full circle.

In the end, this was an incredibly powerful season and comes straight after the brilliant season 4. Where to from here is anyone's guess but I will be waiting with bated breath.moreless

Anti-climactic.

By catwoman77, Sep 07, 2011

As usual, Dexter maintained a high level of tension for most of this season. Unfortunately, the season finale was mostly disappointing.

Jordan Chase was killed off too soon, and we never learn why he began killing 20 years ago or why Emily, his first victim, remained loyal to him. With everyone involved dead, we'll never know.

There were quite a few plot weaknesses in this finale.

Debra letting the 'vigilantes' go seemed uncharacteristic; she's always such a stickler for honest police work. Still, it is somewhat understandable as Deb was forced to watch the torture videos and could probably relate to the one victim who escaped, Lumen.

Deb also thought of the vigilantes as 'romantic,' that they had the kind of dependable 'love' that she longs for.

Still, wasn't she at least curious to see who they were?

Quinn looking favourably at Dexter now that Dexter's gotten him off the hook for Liddy's murder is a bit too neat. He knows stuff about Dexter; maybe next season he'll reveal some things to Deb.

I still enjoyed this season of Dexter, mostly because of the strong acting (Jonny Lee Miller was great). The writing was not as strong this season though, especially with the character of Lumen.

Someone who had been through as much as her would be seriously damaged. She got strong pretty quickly--all without professional help. She also took to killing pretty easily too, despite it being for revenge.

So when she tells Dexter at the end that she has to leave, it seemed too abrupt. Suddenly her anger is all gone? How can she return to a normal life anyway--she is still a killer. It's not likely she'll forget her trauma.

The best scenes were Dexter's reactions when Lumen told him she was leaving. He gets emotional by throwing the plates--he really had a strong bond with her and didn't want her to go.

It was heartbreaking when Dexter told Lumen that he would carry her darkness for her. His fragility really showed there. Great acting by Michael C. Hall.

Even though the finale was disappointing, with too many neat bows, at least we see Dexter realizing that he deserves more from life, and that he is capable of helping someone--he realizes he is not the monster he had always thought himself to be.moreless

Worst season finale ever

By olecran74, Aug 24, 2011

I had so high expectations for this one and was so disappointed I don't even know where to begin. Authors: Why amount so many challenges for the main person when you do not have a trustworthy resolve to any of them? First of all, Dexter's escape from the police surveillance van in the previous episode was just stupid. An experienced police officer with the suspect in handcuffs let himself be killed just like that. And again the same routine at Jordan Chase's camp in this one. A car accident too stupid to even mention, again prisoner and easy escape. Just like that. And why would Debrah, a by the book police officer, resist the urge to really know who was behind that curtain? Ok, she might have suspected it be Dexter, but she couldn't possibly have known for sure. And just leave the crime scene like that? Again a less than trustworthy turn. I have really loved Dexter up until this season and the season finale last year was one of the most emotional in tv history. This year however I felt there were too many loose ends in the story. I have the feeling this series has reached it's peak and I'm not too anxious to watch next season now.moreless

Final without ambition

By drago174, Jun 22, 2011

I give this episode note 10 because i love "Dexter" for everything, for his something special but i must give note 5 or less in my mind for this episode because producers give us some bad , really bad and unspecting...

This final dont have anything special and he was predictable so predictable... only "alone" Dex can us little suprising ... just his and only this Debra must find out true aboput Dexter in this episode but not she just let him go ...

I cant believe why producers give us some kind of "poop"

soo I wait for next season with better ending ...moreless

I guess the audience should have known that once the last of the rape gang was dead, that Lumen would no longer need to kill anymore. But, it is disappointing that she is leaving the show.

By tutshen, May 18, 2011

The best part of the show was when Deb found the 2 vigilantes and spoke to them through the clouded plastic. She knew her theory was right, but couldn't bring herself to arrest them or even feel the need to look at them. They had gotten their just vengeance, as far as she was concerned, and could go live their lives now.

I sit here writing this review feeling empty. Not only is the show over for the season, but one of the best new characters, Lumen, will not be returning. It was still another great season for one of the best shows on TV, which will return for a 6th season, so we all have that to hang onto.moreless

Underwhelming, kinda predictable but still solid enough.

By avi01, May 13, 2011

Dexter is without a doubt one the very best show out there but not without its problems. One of those problems is that the show often gives the impression that it is formulatic when it really shouldn`t. Dexter meets antagonist, studies antagonist, antagonist gets killed. As a result the finale tend to be either predictable because we know what is coming or simply bad because they actually try not to be predictable. For instance killing Doakes early in season 2 finale or killing Miguel in season 3 pre-finale. Both those decisions were bad ones tho and brought the 2 weakest finales of the show(let`s face it, they were mediocre). In this season, the antagonist was introduced way into the season. I can`t say that Jordan Chase is an character full of depth. In fact, we never really learned that much like for example the relation with that Emily girl will remain a mystery. So Jordan gets killed, no surprise here. Now on to Lumen, it is no secret that Julia Stiles would not be on the show next season so surely she would go. I`m surprised some people actually thought she would stay for next season, the show has guest stars on season basis..they just go. There is a kind of paradox between season 3 and 5...Dexter gets a partner except than this time it actually worked. Dexter-Lumen association was no doubt the focal point of the season and it brought a new dimension to the Dexter Morgan character.

The second focal point of the season was without a doubt Quinn and Liddy closing in on Dexter. It was no doubt that this was actually the biggest threat to Dexter this season but also the biggest letdown of the finale. So Quinn says he would speak to a lawyer only, becomes all cryptic, Dex fakes the blood work and this is over. What? Quinn will overlook the boat photos, the fact that he knows Dexter very probably killed Liddy? I hope not cause that would be a lot of fine build up for nothing. Still the finale had some great scenes, highlight being the one where Debra came to that camp. That had me at the edge of seat, felt a little out of character from Deb to let them go but then again when you think of the events she has been through, might not really be that out of character. The season ends with a birthday party, that was obvious from the moment that party was mentioned 2 episodes ago. It felt cheesy no doubt, not as cheesy as that loooong boat scene with Dex and Lumen. The problem is that the show is so good, and throughout the seasons gives some of the most epic episodes on TV that when it comes to the finale it almost always disappoint, except for last season of course. It`s like the consequences are not here, Dexter went through all kinds of things this season but at the end, it feels like we are back to square one. Another problem with the show is the side characters, the show has the ability to become a true snore feast when the focus is off Dexter. Like who really cares about Laguerta and Bastista? It was not easy to follow up from last season which imo remains the best of the show. But this fifth season still delivered with the best episode being the pre-finale. Dexter confirms its well deserved status of one of the dominating show on TV. But I think the writer will have to come with a different approach next season for the show not to feel formulatic and predictable(as a whole).moreless

By thefanof, Apr 28, 2011

The season finale of Dexter was good tonight, it was a solid conclusion to a disappointing year as a whole, but the whole thing was all just too predictable. Being able to quote the lines to a movie you've seen and love is fun, but knowing what is going to happen on Dexter? Eh, not so much. We knew Jordan Chase was going to get his, and that made things a little less enjoyable. Did I still love the hour? Did I still wonder for a moment how Dexter and Lumen would avoid Debra (it was a cop out how they did it after all)? Yes and yes, but still a strong episode of TV.moreless

The small one

By Fougna, Apr 28, 2011

Wow, what a unbelievable letdown !

After a fantastic fifth season, where we had a moving an beautiful relationship between Dexter and Lumen, the climax fails to deliver.

First of, Jordan. The guy's been organizing rapes in secrecy for decades, he's a mastermind who knows how to manipulate people, always careful, and he gets stabbed like a total beginner at near half of the episode. WTF ?

We're very far from Trinity's intense showdown.

Second, Lumen. How can it be possible for a victim like her to suddenly and quickly recover sanity after killing her rapists ?

If that were that easy, Dex would've be cured since season 2 by now, right ?

She's been through so much with her killing lover, she just can't walk away like that the morning after.

My guess is that the writers didn't know if this would be the series finale or not, which would explain why everything is solved way too fast, Jordan, Lumen, Quinn and, of course, Debra.

I hope season 6 will be the final one, because even tough 'the big one' disappointed, il will be challenging to top this season 5.moreless

And that's a wrap on another great year!

By mightymongoose, Feb 09, 2011

Well it is not the episode I was expecting this week but I can't say that I am disappointed. Most of the story lines, with the exception of the Santa Muerte killings, came full circle and we were left with a nice open ending that will lead on into Season 6.

I have to say I am a little surprised that they didn't take this opportunity to out Dexter to Deborah but to be totally honest what happened felt natural. There is nothing worse than a show running with people skirting around a secret like Deb has for so long if it is only in order to keep the tension high. But what happened in this episode felt totally natural and was perfectly in keeping with the direction of the show and so I am happy to let it slip another year.

I often wonder at the end of a season of Dexter what could possibly happen in the next season that would not only be different than what has been done before but could actually top previous seasons, but this year I find myself with too many ideas as to what comes next.

This season seems to have been all about moving the Dexter character forward from the emotionless killing machine he was into a man who recognizes and accepts that he does indeed have emotions but that they aren't all bad. I wonder if these new found emotions will push him further to kill for justice rather than need... time will tell. It was an interesting ending this season with the relationship between Dexter and Quinn. It seems an uneasy truce has been reached but how long can that last now that Quinn has never been more certain that Dexter is a killer?

To sum up, a fitting end to another great season. It's a sad goodbye to Julia Styles and an eager wait for next September and what new wonders this show can bring.moreless

Red Handed (Full Spoilers Ahead)

By Neksmater, Feb 09, 2011

As Jordan Chase makes off with Lumen to the camp where his story began Dexter tracks him down and he and Lumen do away with him, Deb catches them and lets them go and Quinn gets tied to Liddy's murder and but Dex clears him with a falsified blood report. Nice to see a traditional cap on a more contained season of Dexter similar to seasons 1, 2, and 3 rather than the cliffhanger of 4 and I'm glad that they didn't pull that again this year. What Dexter has ultimately taken away is that someone can finally see him for who he is, even though Lumen's darkness is gone, but she will still remember what they had even if he has to go on killing. Deb let the vigilantes go supposedly and she got oh so close to catching him in the act once again. But the real enigma this season ender to the next season will be Quinn, is he through with poking around Dex's business to give him space especially since he put his neck out for him when they both sort of know who really killed Liddy. And then we go the LaGuerta and Batista romance, I almost forgot that they were in love at this point. Great episode, particularly Jordan Chase's speaking till the end. But a darker than usual season of Dexter and to think this killing spree all started from him just finding some blood on a rental van he needed no need to bring Lumen back as she has fulfilled her role and can now be put to Dexter's history as it is rather hard to justify bringing her back. But it's finally nice to have a comrade of Dexter's finally live past the season finale which wasn't true of any of Lila, Miguel, Arthur, or Brian so a change was in order. Can't wait to see what's in store for season six and to hopefully see Deb finally see Dexter as the Butcher.moreless

Load More Reviews