The British Invasion

Episode Reviews (40)

Superb

The Bay Harbour Butcher case is closed but Dexter must deal with Lila.

By DexterMorgan2, Feb 17, 2013

I think that what has happened in the last 5 episodes is part of the finale because so much has happened in this season early but in this episode a miracle happens for Dexter when Lila gets to Doakes and blows up the cabin because she thinks she is his soul mate and she did it even though she knows he is the Butcher Dexter knows what happened was a miracle but he feels he has to kill her In this season things have definitely went Dexters way and Lundy who still doesn't truly believe Doakes is the Butcher is overwhelmed with the evidence that points to him and the case is closed As the season goes on we have seen how crazy Lila is and Dexter goes to Paris to do what many have wanted him to do since the start of season 2 and now Dexter has a new start with no Lundy,Doakes or Lila.moreless

Done With The Questions

Written by Melissa Rosenberg And Daniel Cerone

Directed by Steve Shill

By shawnlunn2002, May 24, 2011

Dexter: "It's pretty impressive. It seems it wasn't too long ago since I was taking care of you".

Deb: "I like it better this way".

Dexter: "Yeah, I can see that".

After an explosive set of episodes, its reassuring to know that Dexter's second season ended up going out with a bang as opposed to the feared whimper that some sceptics thought it would end up with. That being said, I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people who still are unsatisfied with the resolution with the Bay Harbour Butcher.

With the knowledge of a third season, it was always obvious that Dexter was never going to pay for his crimes but with loose cannons such as Doakes and Lila, there was still the issue of how Dexter would get away with murder yet again. It really didn't help that one was a hostage and the other a psycho stalker.

Framing Doakes was always going to be Dexter's way of dealing with problem number one. His code prevented him from considering killing Doakes and his devotion to Rita, the kids and Deb is what stopped him from turning himself in. As reasons went, they were more than valid.

However ever since "Resistance Is Futile", Doakes has practically had a clock over his head and sadly for him, his time was well and truly up. Thankfully for us, his death had nothing to do with Dexter but more so Lila, who just continues to show how incredibly unhinged she's become. It's hardly surprising that when Doakes tells her that Dexter is the Bay Harbour Butcher that her sympathy shifts to Dexter. Lila mutters on about how hard things must have been for Dexter to conceal such a huge secret, which is enough to make Doakes realise that she's nuts.

Of course Lila then also decides to protect Dexter's little secret by blowing the cabin up with Doakes. As deaths go, it's a little comical and while it's a shame that Doakes only gets less than ten minutes of airtime, it just confirms that Lila has signed her own death warrants by cleaning up one of Dexter's messes.

Of course at the time Dexter is relieved for the exploding cabin and dead Doakes. After all, a huge weight has literally been taken off his shoulders and while in the previous he almost accepted the idea of imprisonment, he's now eternally appreciative of the freedom he nearly lost.

On the flipside he also realises his GPS has gone missing and when he swipes it out of the remains from the cabin, he soon realises that Lila was responsible. So instead of a guardian angel, Dexter got a creepy British lady saving his ass. Needless to say, Lila is yet another problem that needs proficient sorting out.

Facing off Lila in an aquarium was a great way of getting him to confirm to her that he kills people. For once Lila did appear to be afraid of Dexter but that fear soon turned into lust when he tried to get her on side. As liars go, Dexter could give master classes in the subject.

He said all the right things to push Lila's buttons, based on the fact that parts of it were true. Dexter at times doesn't think he's capable of feeling but his relationships with Deb, Rita and even Angel in the last episode have proved otherwise. Lila literally doesn't feel anything and unlike Dexter, her attempts to masquerade feeling and mimic certain behavioural patterns aren't as successful.

It doesn't matter though because as far as Lila is concerned, Dexter has finally let her in and even wants to run away with her. Lila might be unfeeling but she couldn't be that stupid to not even consider the idea that Dexter was lulling her into a false sense of security. She even asked him at one point if he was planning to kill her and I don't remember hearing Dexter deny it.

Unfortunately for Dexter though, Deb ruined his perfect scheme by arriving at her apartment when he planned to kill the skanky Brit. It also didn't help that Dexter had to play along with Deb's hostility in front of Lila as well. There was a great moment where Lila taunted Dexter about the bag. It was also another realisation on her part that Dexter had planned to bump her off.

As much as I hate the woman, there was the smallest fraction of me that pitied her when she later opened the bag and saw Dexter's little weapon collection. For all her lack of feelings, she was still dumb enough to believe that she and Dexter were soul mates. There's no denying that they have some similarities but Lila's lack of boundaries is what makes her dangerous.

She proves that when she uses Dexter's kit to knock out Lexi and snatch Cody and Astor. Given that she accused Angel of rape and murdered Doakes so casually (the **** even bragged about the latter during the aquarium face off); using Rita's kids to get at Dexter was wholly stupid.

Worse still Lila trapped Dexter with the kids in her own place and then decides to the ground. Luckily for Dexter, he's able to get them out in time but it gave Lila enough time to leg it to Paris. As getaway destination go, it wouldn't have been my first choice – no offence.

However while skipping the country might have been a good idea, it doesn't mean Lila actually got away with her crimes. Now how many ex-boyfriends do you know who would go all the way to Paris just to kill you? Not many but obviously Dexter is an exception as his dedication for justice now sees him travelling to another country. At least Lila will be delighted to know that she made enough of an impact on Dexter that he would travel halfway across the world to end her.

Of course Lila, even as death came to take her still believed that she was doing the right thing for the man she loved. Dexter wasn't particularly impressed or grateful but he did admit that thanks to her, it was okay for him to be himself. I suppose even as an audience who have widely loathed the character of Lila should at least give her credit for Dexter getting his groove back so to speak.

So as a second season villain went, Lila was in some ways refreshingly different to Rudy but at the same times, obvious parallels could be made. Both of them used various tactics in order to get Dexter more in touch with his dark side and both of them loved him. The only difference is that Lila didn't have the same kind of emotional impact on Dexter or viewers (for obvious reasons) that her death would ultimately cause some sort of sadness.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of Big Bad the third season can deliver but with both the threats of Doakes and Lila now gone, what does the future hold for Dexter? It's undoubted that all season long Dexter has raised questions about whether or not he's good or evil and it's also interesting to see if he'll be able to maintain his promise to no longer worry about such questions.

One thing I did appreciate about Dexter is that he felt some guilt Doakes' death. He might not have loved the guy but at least he showed compassion for Maria, killed Lila for him and even attended his funeral. The sad part however is that whatever you think of Doakes, he didn't deserve to die and he especially didn't deserve to have people still think of him as the Bay Harbour Butcher.

Unfortunately everyone still believed that it was him and while it means that this thread won't be dragged out next season, I seriously pitied Maria. Lundy was put in the unenviable position of confirming to her that Doakes was dead and even when it looked like she too believed he was the BHB; Maria still collected money for a memorial.

It's hard to say what side I would've been on. Would I have been like Angel, Deb and Masuka and refuse to believe that Doakes was innocent or would I be collecting money like Maria? Deb even challenged Maria but empathised with her as well. I like how the writers have used the Rudy angle to strengthen Deb as a character.

We saw that with the way she took charge and tried to mind Dexter after the fire at Lila's place and even the way she was determined to get Lila out of her brother and Angel's lives. Hell, we even got to see it when she was determined to salvage her relationship with Lundy.

That led to their break up. It was clear that Lundy was trying to dump her, mainly because he probably it would better for Deb rather than him growing tired off her. It was plain to see that she was never going to make it to the airport in time but I guess it went to prove Lundy's point about Deb being married to her job.

Speaking of relationships, when Lila wasn't trying to kill the kids, Dexter and Rita were seemingly getting back into their groove as a couple. However as much as Rita loved having Dexter back in her bed, I found the warning she gave him to be quite interesting if he stepped out of line. Rita's another character who's majorly changed for the better this season as well. This ball busting side to her has definitely made her a more interesting character to watch.

Also in "The British Invasion"

The title of this episode came from the 1960's influence of the likes of the Beetles and the Rolling Stones. Deb: "It's Doakes, you **** hate the guy".

Dexter: "I used to. I can't even afford to think of him as a person".

Masuka made some off hand comment about making a movie out of the BHB events during his time with Dexter.

Lila (re Dexter): "He's the butcher?"

Doakes: "That's what I've been trying to tell you".

Rita: "I've been right here. You were the one that went away".

Dexter: "Yeah I did. I forgot who I was but I've got it straight".

Rita: "Well keep it straight or I won't be here next time".

I loved that before the first break, we got a scene that actually mimicked the opening credits. It was very tongue in cheek.

Lundy (re Doakes' death): "I wanted you to hear it from me first".

Maria: "Thank you".

Lundy: "I'm truly sorry".

Lila: "You're wrong. I have feelings for you".

Dexter: "You wanna have feelings for me. They're just impulses".

Deb looked cute in her little floppy hat and parka set up. Lundy's a man after my heart because I'm not much of a sun person myself.

Lila: "Come to say goodbye?"

Deb: "Actually we came to see you cleared out but now that we see your way, we're good to go. Have a nice **** life".

Lila (re the bag): "I'm pretty sure it's mine. I can open it up for you if you'd like to check".

Dexter: "No, it's my mistake".

In the fashion stakes, Dexter was rocking a pretty dark coat when he went to kill Lila in Paris. I actually want a coat like that.

Lundy: "It's more than that to you".

Deb: "Okay I love my job but not as much as I love being with you".

Cab Driver: "You don't want to go to the airport?"

Deb: "Of course I want to go to the airport".

The music in the episode was pretty exemplary, especially given the nice use of the theme music earlier on in the episode.

Dexter: "So I'm gonna be like this forever?"

Harry: "Yes".

Deb: "How can you be so **** relaxed?"

Dexter: "I'm good at compartmentalisation".

Deb: "You're a little weird, Dex".

Dexter: "Yeah, that's not gonna change".

The Harry flashback in this episode was brief once again. The young actor from the first season was back playing Dexter.

Lila: "Dexter".

Dexter: "You wanted to feel close to me, this is the most I can offer".

Lila: "Don't do this".

Dexter: "You told me to accept what I am. To trust in the one I know with absolute clarity. Thank you".

Chronology: The episode took straight after where "Left Turn Ahead" left off.

As a season finale, "The British Invasion" does everything that it needed to in wrapping up the stories for the BHB, Lila, Doakes and Lundy without cheating audiences along the way. With this show heading into a third season, it'll be amazing to see the quality maintained as greater shows themselves have often suffered fatigue in their later seasons.moreless

In this episode the second season documenting the tales of the secretive slasher, Lyla finds out about Dexter disaterous hobby and chaos ensuthes.

By Demonslayer4257, May 24, 2011

I really enjoyed this episode although i am sad about the death of Doakes. However I am glad that Lyla was finshed off as she had just become more of an anoyance than a threat towards the end of the series. Well until she locked Dexter in her burning apartment with Ritas kids. ( Great sequence by the way.). I hope in the next season they bring someone like Doakes in so Dexter will have more of a challenge to do his dirty work without being caught.Im in england and this episode has just arived here so have no clue about season 3 yet and i dont dare look a t Dexters tv.com page in case it ruins the next season. Thats how much i like this show. Hope you agree with me if you see this. thannk you for reading.

Demonslayer4257moreless

Everything wrapped up, yes. Satisfying? No.

By PabloExobar, May 23, 2011

Honestly, after all the build up, I wanted a better conclusion. Dexter not getting caught and Lila and Doakes dying would've been fine if the road leading up to it wasn't so damn obvious.

And, come on. At the start of the episode ?!?! How more anticlimatic could it have been? The moment Lila found Doakes it was clear to me that what is going to happen. What a shame that the show dropped the ball in the final episode....

Even the scene at the aquarium, honestly, what was that? 5 minute dialouge with Lila and afterwards Dexter's like "Woo, I just tricked her! I bet you didn't see that coming"

Umm, yes we did! There are no consequences, no development whatsoever.In fact, this episode single handedly "reset" the show to it's season 1 episode 1 state. Maybe the storyline revolving around Dexter's victims came a few seasons too soon: It should've been in the final season with finally people finding about him...moreless

perfect

By futuramarama, Mar 07, 2011

This was great television. I was really shocked when Lila killed Doakes. I was kind of sad to see him die. And near the end when dexter, in turn, killed Lila. This was a good finale. I was surprised Dexter wasn't found out to be the bay harbor butcher. That would probably have ended the series, but I still think it was nice that people still believed it was Doakes. Overall the Bay Harbor Butcher season was a one with good plot twists, and incredible endings to each episode. Final grade for this episode is definitely going to be an A+moreless

I am glad that he killed her in the end.

By DoddsDonnelly, Aug 18, 2010

The season finally summed everything up. I like when they leave on a little clif hanger at the end to get you something to look forward to in next season. The episode was good other than that. I like how he killed the british **** in the end, it would have left to many open end if he left her alive. I like that he is back with the better girlfriend, and that there is no chance of him getting blamed for the murders. I felt so bad for the sister and the end of her relationship. she always picks the wrong guys.moreless

They all lived happily ever after!!???

By leitetc, Jun 09, 2010

I have to agree with user Egale20... It was such a disappointing finale, i loved the 1st season finale it was one of the best i had ever seen, but this 2nd season finale was just awful. I didn't think it was good Doakes died, I mean it was cool Lila came to Dexter's rescue and all, it was a good twist, but did Doakes really have to die? could they not have just found one of his limbs or something and Doakes could be alive somewhere with temporary amnesia or something??? The fact that Dexter was prepared to kill Doakes, a good person at heart for knowing his secret just seems un-Dex like! and Lila the psycho... she accuses Angel of rape, those charges don't just drop because you're an illegal immigrant, she would have to drop the chargers, or they would have to have proof Lila is loony!! the police didn't know she was crazy... until she kidnaps the kids and tries to kill them... oh but wait their mother, Rita, isn't angry; she's just glad they are all o.k ... please!!! if it were me, i would be furious with Dexter, not only because he cheated on me and left me for someone else, but because he did it with a PSYCHO B**** who tried to kill my kids, even if we were back together I could not just dismiss that... The whole episode was just so disappointing. And Deb and her relationship... over, just like that... ridiculous. Any way what more can i say... a poor poor episode finale in my opinion.moreless

Dexter avoids all consequences when all his troubles just go away one way or another.

By Egale20, Jun 09, 2010

After watching this season finale, I went on-line to look for reviews. I was shocked to see that all of them, on this site and others, were all extremely positive.

I hated this finale. You might say it ruined the entire season for me.

The whole season we are led to believe something is going to change, Dexter's life will not be the same again. Sure, I never thought he would actually get caught and go to jail, but I was looking forward to the creative way the writers were going to resolve the many issues that came up during the run of the season. The way they wrapped things up was horrible, in my opinion. I was truly disappointed. Doakes knows about Dexter? Let's kill him. Lila knows? Kill her. Everything to make Dexter happy. No creativity, let's just finish off all obstacles in his way, and let the last episode of the season take us back to exactly where we were on the first episode of the season. It's like you can skip the whole season and have no problem going directly to season 3. What poor writing... Rita didn't even care her boyfriend's ex girlfriend kidnapped her children and tried to kill them. She dismisses it all with "Well, as long as we're all okay". Give me a break... Even people who did not "cheer" Dexter on during the run of the show, could certainly relate to him or understand where he's coming from. And we were all happy and content when he avoided the law. But now, after seeing he was willing to frame Doakes for his crimes, an innocent man, I can no longer connect with him... I don't like him anymore. I want him to get caught; I want him to go to jail forever. And by making me feel this way, the writers kinda ruined the show for me.

And to have the season end in such a stupid way, where everything just neatly works out for Dexter, without even a cliffhanger to suggest "oh, but wait, there is still danger lurking over him", where all who stood in Dexter's way, good guys or bad guys, are finished off, just makes me not want to even bother with season 3.

Too bad, I really liked the show...moreless

Getting the end slide a little.. but good finish for season

By Parricida, Jan 01, 2010

Somehow it feels like last episode had all the tension, all the excitement and that culminated very fast in this episode, quite in the beginning with that bang..

But even with the tension was down, there were still some things.. I mean.. Lila and Dexter situation was unsolved and that seemed to take most of the time.. not that I stopped liking that storyline some time ago (it was promising first but.. turned dull quite soon). Ofcourse there was Deb's choice and I loved how they did it.. I was sure they can ruin it quite easily.. but that was well done.

So.. overall.. beautiful ending..but could have had the excitement through to the end.moreless

Load More Reviews