This is the Way the World Ends

Episode Reviews (36)

Great

Not Season Finale Material?

By itsmemadie01, Aug 29, 2012

I've always wanted to write a review about Dexter. I almost gave up on this show but thankfully Rita died and I restored my faith in watching this show again. I think, it was a little risky for an incoming sub-plot involving Deb having romantic feelings for Dexter but let us see if something good will come out of that. I understand that they are not blood related but they grew one like bother and sister. But given that Deb and her questionable judgement with dating choices, this is still up in the air.

This is a pretty solid season but I think Dexter had better season finale like the one he had with Lumen. Except for the part where Deb saw Dexter killing this season finale does not feel like one. I like the idea of Dexter questioning his faith and meeting Brother Sam. I was touched with the idea that when he was floating in the water the boat that saved his is called Milagro which translates to miracle. I look forward with the events that will happen in the coming season.moreless

Most anticipated scene - finally happening [spoilers]

By XY, Aug 07, 2012

Typical Dexter finale:

Dexter having a final showdown with the season-villain after suffering from little draw-backs but in the end manages to get him down. As season 6 was not really about escaping the typical formula the events of this finale have been very predictable and not really surprising. Except for the final moment.

I think it's save to say that every fan has anticipated the last scene. Debra finally seeing Dexter kill. Ok I have to admit, I've been kind of excited in that scene. It was really unexpected as the writers delayed this moment for 6 seasons now and there were no signs that it would happen soon. I don't know why but I thought they didn't want to use that plot movement "so soon" yet. But then again, it's been 6 seasons and I don't know if Dexter can survive another 2 seasons without some REAL character development (and by that I don't mean LaGuerta turning from a bitch to a super-bitch). The threat of serial killers is something Dex always managed but what made past seasons so great was how he failed with personal relationships. So I have little hope Dexter will improve from here on because if it weren't for the final scene I maybe wouldn't have turned in for the next season even though I've been a huge fan until this season.

That being said, I HATE to say that but in retrospect this scene was a let-down. It was supposed to be THE most important scene, build up for 6 years. And it came out of nowhere.

What was Debra doing in the church?! What was Dexter doing there? How about going to some place with a lockable door and not a crime scene which is under surveillance by the police? (don't forget that they are looking for Travis with a high priority so it's very likely that he may go back to the church from a police perspective - the place should be locked down).

Anyway. Debra walked in and saw Dexter kill. That's really all that happened. It had no big atmosphere or build up or anything. The scene only worked because of it's anticipation.

So if you put this into perspective on how this season's writing was - it was kind of clumsy. Even "rushed" you could say - just to justify the next season.moreless

oh god, did they change writers this season?

By avi01, Apr 01, 2012

Well how disappointing was this season? It`s hard to think that this is from the same writers of season 1-5...sure they`ve shown their limits with some disappointing finales in the past but such a lackluster season? :O, it`s actually a bigger shocker to be than the actual ending of the season....drastic drop from excellence to mediocrity.

The finale did not save the season...far from that, it was bad. With the exception of season 4 and 1 , all dexter finales were either bad (season 3), very disappointing/meh (season 2 ) or just ok (season 5). This one relied heavily on the cliffhanger. It is a great cliffhanger and I can`t wait to see where they go with that. The 5 I give this is mostly because of the ending. But the rest was terrible. The amount of stupidity we are supposed to just go with here is shocking. So they just "wait" for dexter before entering a crime scene now so that he can conveniently just remove his face from that drawing?? Really ? When did they ever wait for dexter before entering a crime scene??? Dexter tells Deb he`ll be going to the old church after that play with his son and Dexter thinks it is like a good idea to just set up a kill scene there?? If Dexter was so sloppy, he would have been caught in season 1. Are we supposed to not laugh at the "security" on building tops? Like Travis actually gain access to the build in the first place? One cop per building? And the list goes on and on like when Dexter thinks it`s a good idea to send a video of himself to the most wanted man of the city.This is just bad bad writing..some of the worst I`ve seen from any shows recently. Best episode of the season was the first one, tells you all really. Otherwise the villains were never really threatening, Dexter was untouchable, they came up with the worst idea of having Deb fall in love with Dexter, they came up with tons of over the top set pieces and that twist that looked good in psycho....back in 1960....wow. But we have the cliffhanger, hope for the show...I do hope they know they`ve completely screw up the season of one of the most critically acclaimed shows on TV and get back on track. A season to forget.moreless

Is this the way Dexter Ends

By foff47, Mar 09, 2012

It looks like not only has Dexter "jumped the shark" but it has wines and dined it as well.

It has been one of my favorite shows and I have never missed an episode,

BUT,

how are the writers going to make the next season sensible?

Debra the new Police Lieutenant watches her brother (who for some bloody ridiculous reason the writers have decided that she is now in love with him which now breaks the sister / brother bond) kill the villain.

What will the writers have happen now,

1/ She shoots him - No - he is her brother and that would be the end of the show.

2/ She joins him in his actions - No - its not Dexter and Deb

3/ She passes out and when she comes to her brain has pushed what she saw away, and we spend all of season 7 watching Dexter wonder when and if the memory comes back.

4/ She is in a dream state (god I hope not that is so old) from either an accident or is in hypnosis from the therapist.

5/ He kills her - No - she is his brother.

The only way out I see is that he killed the villain somewhere else, maybe in the big boat. and he was carrying out a fake ritual to see if he could rid himself of his "Dark Passenger' to see if Brother Sam was not talking rubbish, and he actually stabbed a dummy, but even that scenario is a bit thin.

Shame, it was such a good show.moreless

Dexters Identity

By jh17, Feb 28, 2012

Every season of Dexter is thrilling me - they are exiting, well played and not like any other television series. There are maybe more 'powerful' seasons than this one as we were very focussed on Dexters Sister and the faith but I really liked it very much. Things have to change and move on - so I am curious how this will be developed, now after the last two minutes changed that much.... I like to see more of this excellent show.moreless

Next season will bring the most dramatic changes...

By DERBEST, Feb 27, 2012

For me, this season wasn't so bad...The theme dramatic as always, maybe a little more dramatic, with Dexter struggling a bit with his feelings and reconsidering some of his perceptions...

Good ending though and one that brings a lot of changes in the next season...First with Debra...Will she join Dexter or will she pursue him?Then with Louis...I hope the writers will make his role an exciting one if he will be the 7th season's villain and not a second ice truck killer...

I would fancy a change of scenery in case Dexter will have to flee and avoid capture...

A lot of things can happen which makes me wait for next season with a lot of enthusiasm.moreless

I actually thought this was one of the best (if not THE best) seasons of Dexter!

By sspeyer, Feb 20, 2012

Ok; first I must admit, after having read some of the reviews previously posted, that the writers abused "everything works out just right for Dexter" way too much this season. Admittedly there were a lot of moments in this season where timing was just a little too perfect. This, coupled with another reviewer's point that Debra never acted so lost and emotional before, are really the only two things that felt a little off. I purposefully waited until Season 6 was finished before I started watching it- I had gotten into "Breaking Bad" and both didn't want to stop watching that show till I was caught up, and was afraid that it's awesomeness would ruin Dexter for me... I think the writers actually did an amazing job! From the first episode I was immediately hooked (again); it certainly helped that I am a huge Mos Def (Yasin Bey) fan, and almost equally so Edward James Olmos.

One thing that bugs me, reading the reviews, is so many people complaining about Dexter being "sloppy". I would not like a show where the characters don't mature/contemplate/adapt over time. This is surely intentional and led to his being caught by Deb in the finale. I LIKE the new Dexter, he pretty much NEVER made mistakes before, and with being a single father and questioning so much of his perceptions and attitudes, it just seemed really cool to me. Especially because it DID lead to him getting caught. The seventh season with be an exploration of these poor decisions and their consequences... I almost wished I had waited two seasons! The cliffhanger is just SO huge!moreless

Ughhh. Really?

By lilmisstx, Jan 09, 2012

For a series that more often than not gave us, pretty much, perfection, this season has been nothing ... less than ... lackluster.

I guess that in a show that has such a phenomenal run, one would expect some episodes that are not up-to-par, and EVEN a season or two that rank at the bottom. This episode though ... this season ... has been really bad.

Many times we have seen situations and things that were just too conveniently set up for Dexter's 'trade' and settings which too conveniently got him out of messes. At these times though I talked myself into giving the writers the benefit of the doubt and my TV "mind" told me it was a good or an evil higher power that was protecting him. Like others have already said and described on this page though, it was pretty hard to overlook in this season, and more so in this episode. Luck is one thing, miracles another (even the boat was named Milagro / Miracle); but the track the writer's have taken of leaving more and more things to 'chance', is upsetting. I LIKED that Dexter was so well-taught by Harry that this training, and his skill, and not just blind luck, bailed him out.

As for Debra falling for him ... this has been obvious from mid-season 1. I just didn't think the unravelling would be lazily crammed into one or two episodes. And what is it with Deb's character? Where she used to be strong she has now turned into this emotional, crazy woman? C'mon.moreless

Season finale of Dexter

By echofan, Jan 06, 2012

I've been a fan of Dexter for a long time (since the beginning) and I have to agree with the people who are saying that season 6 wasn't very good. The Gellar thing didn't help and, with each episode, it seem like the writers just got lazy.

Let's start with the beginning of this episode: How stupid is it that the minute that Dexter starts to drown, a boat shows up...PLEASE! And after he's on the boat, he actually kills the robber in front of everybody and everybody's fine with this...COME ON! Then comes the boring scenes with his son, these reminded me of everything I hated in season 3, Dexter trying to be normal! I get that he has to go through these things on a psychological level but it makes for very boring tv.

Now let's talk about Colin Hanks character, how come the moment he leaves the house where he killed the couple, that's the exact moment the cop show up, like it just started to smell the minute he left the house. And what about him entering Dexter's house, eating cereal, opening the package sent by the intern, all of which while the babysitter is in the other room. Dexter must have some amazing isolation in his walls. Don't get me started on the way he kidnaps Dexter's son!

Anyways, thank god for Deb and that ending! Nice to see that there's finally something interesting happening.moreless

Mixed feelings here too

By atommalac, Jan 02, 2012

Come on, Dexter killing at a place he is known to be at? He doesn't do that. At all.

Part of what I like in Dexter is his level of proficiency when he does his thing. He might make mistakes, of course, he's human, but he never makes mistakes like this. This was a lousy way to make Deb walk in on him as a dramatic ending. She is intelligent, as someone else said in a review: she should've found out by investigating him.

Also, i really don't like how Deb is getting "into" Dex now, but I'm not alone with that..

Another example of horribly lazy writing was when all the crew waited on Dexter before entering the crime scene AND they gave him time alone inside, just because he needed to trash that picture of him.

The stuff happening at the sea and on the ship when Dex was rescued didn't make much sense to me.

Regardless of the lazy writing and plot holes, I still enjoyed the episode (and the season). It would be great to see a new season, but only if some things change. I mean the scenery, and/or half the cast.moreless

Load More Reviews